• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 has shipped 5.5 million worldwide in 12 days

hamchan

Hanmik said:
http://www.burwitz-art.de/graphics/res_this_is_not_the_writing_on_the_wall_2.JPG

??? care to explain what you mean by Writing on the wall..?

Obviously Sony is going to exit the console business, obviously.

NHale

Cheech said:
This is Sony's idea of damage control. It's naive to think the timing is simple coincidence.

How much more of a shellacking is the PS3 going to have to take before some of you guys see the writing on the wall?

I salute you for fighting the good fight.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Road said:
Known GT5 estimated sell-through sales:

JP: 486k (2 weeks)
UK: ~410k (2 weeks)
US: 400k (1 week)
FR: 235k (1 week)
DE: 100k+ (1 week)
IT: 100k+ (1 week)
ES: 92k (1 week)
FI: 40k (2 weeks)

NA: ~400k
EU: ~977k
JP: ~486k

Total: over 1.86 million
Bethesda would be proud.

I still think it will end selling 10 or 11 million once it´s all said and done. All GT major releases ended up selling that. GT3 only has a bigger number because of the bundle, if you take that out it was probably somewhere from 10 to 12. It´s a slow burner, it will keep selling. (wasn´t GT4 that had 8 million sold after it´s first year? Now it´s on 10.86).

But one thing is clear: GT games continue to be sucessfull because they reached out to other markets and kept expanding in Europe.

Not even the biggest GT fan (me) could deny that the franchise is significantly smaller in the US and in Japan. It will be a struggle to get to 2 million in the US and 1 million in Japan, something that other releases of the series done it easilly.

Forza, iRacing, Rfactor, delays and the fact that it took 4 years into the PS3 life for us to get GT5 sure hurt the game a bit. It´s just impossible to say those weren´t factors.

tzare

well deserved, despite minor flaws, game is amazing. I really hope the game is supported via updates and keeps it alive and helps having long legs. Gt6 should be on next console.
pd. Europe has better taste than US:D

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I thought GT3 sold a lot because everyone wanted it. It was the racing game to have. GT4 was an upgrade, but it wasn't the must have that GT3 was.

Bundles are probably a big part of it, but GT3 was just one of those games.

Firewire

Banned
Pretty much with every GT you have people say it bombed, then 2 or 3 years down the road they freak out at how much its sold. No GT has ever been front loaded.

sigh.

ugh you people, if they shipped almost 3 and a half mil units to Europe alone it's because there is a high demand for it. There's no doom and stop hiding under the "shipped /= sold" banner, you can't move that many units if it ain't selling.

Travado

My GOTY 2010, so much content, so much things to do, best GT ever, the physics with a G27 is awesome.

Congrats Polyphony/Sony!!!

Haters gonna hate.gif

Haunted

Makes me mad when some people just blindly cheer every shipment number as if it were sold to consumers. Makes it so much harder to put things into context in other threads. :(

Road said:

This is the relevant number people should be cheering about as of this moment.

That said, I have no doubt that Sony will easily sell through that initial 5.5 million shipment and some additional ones when all is said and done. Mainline GT titles are huge in Europe and will have pretty good legs.

CozMick

Banned
Haunted said:
Makes me mad when some people just blindly cheer every shipment number as if it were sold to consumers.

This is the relevant number people should be cheering about as of this moment.

That said, I have no doubt that Sony will easily sell through that initial shipment and some additional ones when all is said and done. GT titles have pretty good legs.

But the "Sony is doomed" "GT5 bomba" is a complete lie.

Sony are laughing, they just sold 5.5million copies of a game in less than 2 weeks

Polyphony Digital are laughing because they know GT6 is a certainty.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
In most stores I've been in France these past 2 weeks, they have TVs that show GT5 replays, and these are the most jaw dropping videos ever seen on consoles. As long as they keep showing these videos, they will sell GT5 copies.

amar212

Road said:

Here is the problem with above numbers - only 6 countries included.

EU market is much bigger than above. I know 100% accurate that initial shipment for Croatia (and we're even not in EU, we have 4 million citizens and our GDP is nowhere to be compared with any above) have sold more than 7000 as for today. And today came the 2nd shipment, with Collector's edition (finally, two weeks late) and for supply of big shopping centres.

Also notice this is the list for all countries inside PAL region (not EU only):
http://uk.playstation.com/country-selector/

34 countries. Including bahamots like Russia, India, Turkey and Poland, togehther with very sales-wise important countries such as Netherlands, Sweden, Switzarland and various Arab states.

Proclaming that ~977k is real total-sales for PAL with only 6 countries on the list - and ignoring rest of 28 countries - is just plain wrong.

PAL real-sales numbers are much higher than ~977k.

40k sales means about 0,8% of Finlands population already bought GT5. The wealthy western Europe has population of about 400m, so if they all bought GT5s at same rate as Finland there would be about 3 million sold by now.

2San

BobsRevenge said:
I thought GT3 sold a lot because everyone wanted it.
It was the first real ps2 killer app as well. If you needed a reason to buy a "next-gen" console this was it.

mujun

Road said:

JP: 486k (2 weeks)
US: 400k (1 week)

NA: ~400k
JP: ~486k

To clarify we are talking sales around 2 million and shipped 5.5, right?

Road

amar212 said:
Proclaming that ~977k is real total-sales for PAL with only 6 countries on the list - and ignoring rest of 28 countries - is just plain wrong.
I surely did proclaim that...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
mujun said:
Copies were sold today, yesterday, 2 days ago, 3 days ago, 4 days ago, etc. See what I mean?

Haunted said:
It's all we have.

Therefor it was all that was sold to consumers?

mujun said:
WAY over 2 million.

Here's what those numbers don't contain:
The full 12 days of the annoucement
All the EU countries
The rest of the PAL countries (PAL = Bigger then just Europe)
Asia

So how much does Sony make per game sold?

$50 * 5.5million is 275 million. So Sony isn't hurting financially from this at all, right?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
demosthenes said:

$50 * 5.5million is 275 million. So Sony isn't hurting financially from this at all, right?
How much does it cost a retailer to buy one of these games typically? I'd think $50 would be a bit much, but then again I have no clue.

Haunted

Metalmurphy said:
There for it was all that was sold to consumers?
Therefore it's all the numbers we have.

Anything beyond those numbers is speculative. You could say it sold 1.87 million or you could say it sold 5.49 million, and we'd have no way of telling which one was closer to the truth.

Haunted said:
Therefore it's all the numbers we have.

Anything beyond those numbers is speculative. You could say it sold 1.87 million or you could say it sold 5.49 million, and we'd have no way of telling which one was closer to the truth.

Well, we know for a fact it's bigger then 1.87 million, unless all other regions sold 0 copies of the game...

Common sense tells us it's WAY bigger then that.

Haunted

demosthenes said:
So Sony isn't hurting financially from this at all, right?
Polyphony will definitely pay for themselves and then some.

Metalmurphy said:
Well, we know for a fact it's bigger then 1.87 million, unless all other regions sold 0 copies of the game...

Common sense tells us it's WAY bigger then that.
Here, I'll tell you the most exact statement I can with the numbers available: Gran Turismo 5 has sold inbetween 1.85 million and 5.51 million units.

People like cheering for numbers, I'm telling them they should cheer for the known sold numbers instead of the known shipment numbers. I said the same in the Castlevania, Fallout and Dead Rising shipment threads
and got angry PMs about it
. :lol

BobsRevenge said:
How much does it cost a retailer to buy one of these games typically? I'd think $50 would be a bit much, but then again I have no clue.

It's very high. That's one of the reasons why Gamestop tries to get you to buy used copies, they have a huge margin on them. I know they don't make a lot on new games.

Chaplain

BobsRevenge said:

This question is answered here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-111-pach-attack/64278

Episode 111
Apr 10, 2010

How much money do videogames really make? Plus, is the World War II game phenomenon finally over? The Pach breaks down the facts on the Attack! Drop by the Ask Pach page to get the answers to your queries!

Patrick Bateman said:
I wonder if GT5 could sell more than Black Ops on all consoles and PC.

Pigs%2BFly.jpg

nib95 said:
Well, so much for doom and gloom GT5 sales. Once again, proof that the US isn't the only important gaming sales territory in the world.

Bomba indeed....

If you're selling a racing simulator.

I'm glad to see it doing well. I just hope they start patching in the stuff that matters like shadow fixes and HUD display options as fast as possible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
demosthenes said:

We know that retailers often have specific contracts in place for unsold stock though, so shipped to retailers doesn't mean that they get full price and the retailer has to eat the entire difference when they reduce 500 copies to $20. Thats why shipped numbers are a lousy way of gauging performance even for the companies bottom line.

duckroll said:
It's really simple. A company will release information they have. A publisher always knows exactly how much they have shipped, because they're the ones selling it to retail. Hence they will put out press releases about shipping milestones because that's what is important to them and their shareholders. It's not hard to understand.

I actually prefer shipped numbers because it's an exact number and not a mathematical estimation with room for error like we get from the trackers. Of course both are good, but I prefer shipped as 90% of the time shipped numbers will eventually equal numbers sold to consumers anyways.

poppabk said:
We know that retailers often have specific contracts in place for unsold stock though, so shipped to retailers doesn't mean that they get full price and the retailer has to eat the entire difference when they reduce 500 copies to $20. Thats why shipped numbers are a lousy way of gauging performance even for the companies bottom line.

I have no doubt that the stock of 5.5 million will sell out.

tzare

Haunted said:
Makes me mad when some people just blindly cheer every shipment number as if it were sold to consumers. Makes it so much harder to put things into context in other threads. :(
well, to be fair, some people believe PR if they say sold instead of shipped, even if it is impossible to know what happens WW at every retail store. So we should use the same rules no matter who is giving us the numbers.
Hopefully time will put everyone in its place.

Top Bottom