• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Tain

Are there any survival-related incentives for using Normal mode when in Power style? Boost seems better entirely, movement speed aside. I know that using hypers gradually increases rank, though, and the effects of this seem pretty substantial.

Bebpo said:
That actually sounds kind of cool. Why do they need to rebalance it?

I haven't seen any specific reasons. I tried downloading a top replay once, though, and it glitched out and Game Overed immediately at the beginning.

Yes Boss!

bad-joey said:
is it me or is the smoothing off option in Daifukkatsu not working?
It works, it is just very subtle when it is on. Compare your ship during the selection screen or how the colours blend on the big spaceship that launches you at the beginning, when smoothing is on. I just use smoothing on since they both are pretty sharp and almost the same.

Guwange, on the other hand, is way too soft with it on. And too chunky with it off...at least on an HDTV. Hoping MMP/Sweets has better options.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
So I just put in an order for Mushiwhateverthefuck Futari. Haven't purchased an import game since '03 or so? I don't even know. Feels strange!

I thought this genre stopped appealing to me, but I've been playing tons of Death Smiles, Guwange and Cave's iPhone games this year (especially Guwange - I really, really love this game). They've totally brought me back. I expect great things out of Futari. <3<3<3 Cave.

Bebpo

Banned
danmaku said:
It's not exactly like that. When you cancel bullets with hyper shot, each bullet is added to the chain counter --> big points.
When you cancel lasers with hyper laser you get big stars, but they aren't added to the chain counter. There's a bonus at the end of the stage for stars (if you can clear it without dying) but my impression is that's not very important, scoring-wise. It's better to destroy the laser source with the hyper shot, so the laser will cancel into regular bullets and then into stars.

Judging by superplay videos, the best strategy would be to fill the hyper bar as soon as possibile, then activate the hyper in places where you can cancel a lot of bullets and repeat. But they don't wait for the screen to fill, there are some spots where you can stand still, shoot without killing the enemies and cancel a ton of bullets.

Besides that, there are a couple of little tricks: if you pick up a bee when it's green it will fill about 1/4 of your hyper bar, but when it's yellow it'll only give you points (and not much), if you kill enemies at point blank with laser in Bomb mode the hyper bar will fill faster, and I'm sure there's more.

The main problem for me is keep the chain after the hyper bar is filled. Normally if you drop the chain the counter will start to go down, but in less than a second you'll have some enemy to shot so it's not a big loss. But if you drop it during a hyper or when the hyper bar is full, it'll go straight to zero.

p.s. I'm talking about Bomb/Strong mode, Power is different.

It's easy, if you destroy the silos before the tanks hit them and have the hyper bar full you'll unlock the first midboss. After that, just don't die during the stage and pick up all the bees.

This was all really helpful, thanks!

I can't really get into shmups when I play them for survival. It's ok but I get bored really quickly after a few hours. What keeps me playing Cave shmups for months and loving them is the really awesome scoring systems in each game. Instead of playing for survival I try to score as many points as I can in the first couple of stages. Makes the early stages more intense and exciting. I think my problem with daifukkatsu (not that it's a problem as I still really enjoy the game) is that the scoring seems really simple and unlike say Futari where you're paying attention and constantly switching or EspII where you're figuring out the right points to use up your slow-mo meter, in daifukkatsu it seems more that you just play normally trying to keep a chain and then hypermeter spam -> repeat. Not bad, just doesn't seem too deep.

epmode

See, I'm the opposite. I lose interest very fast when i play for score. Since the scoring systems are usually so rigid, I find myself restarting the instant I lose a chain or whatever. I burn myself out before I even finish the second stage. Playing for survival is a lot more enjoyable.

hipgnosis

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Also been listening to the Espgaluda OST again this week. It has to be on of my all time favourite game soundtracks and, for me, by far and away the best Cave one. What about the rest of you? Favourite Cave OST? How do you rate Espgaluda's?
My favorite Cave OSTs are Futari, DOJ and Ketsui. I'm not too keen on Espgaludas OST, Fort City is an awesome track though, one of the best Cave tracks. Music is a huge part why I am such a Cave fan. Just love those aggressive soundtracks. This stuff actually sounds like game music, like it used to be.

Glix

Can some of you guys help me out? I'm not exactly sure how I should be playing Guwange. Your "avatar" thing that you send out, it stop/slows bullets, but then makes them go away? If you destroy the thing shooting the bullets? I'm not really sure how all the mechanics work. I've been playing it, like, traditional shmup style and I get my ass handed to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm playing the first stage over and over in Daifukkatsu arrange B and it's a lot of fun as it gets crazier and crazier but can anyone answer these:

-what does highlighting bomb/laser/hyper at the start do?

-what are the numbers over the enemies?

-how do you use hyper and bomb? Sometimes when I hit B it goes into hyper for a very short period of time and sometimes it bombs. Is that when you fill both meters you get hyper with B and when you only have one full meter you get bomb with B?

-what are those falling grey bricks you collect?

-what are the numbers on the right side, there's blue and orange and stuff.

Tain

Bebpo said:
So I'm playing the first stage over and over in Daifukkatsu arrange B and it's a lot of fun as it gets crazier and crazier but can anyone answer these:

-what does highlighting bomb/laser/hyper at the start do?

-what are the numbers over the enemies?

-how do you use hyper and bomb? Sometimes when I hit B it goes into hyper for a very short period of time and sometimes it bombs. Is that when you fill both meters you get hyper with B and when you only have one full meter you get bomb with B?

-what are those falling grey bricks you collect?

-what are the numbers on the right side, there's blue and orange and stuff.

Best answer is a link:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34382

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If I wasn't so lazy and busy being raped by law school finals, I would totally set up my Japanese PS2 on my dedicated shmup monitor... I wanna play Espgaluda 1, but it is so goddammned ugly and blurry in Yoko mode.

Bebpo

Banned
Tain said:

Awesome. Yeah this is definitely my favorite mode. So much stuff going on at once and short burts of insane difficulty over normal/hard difficulty over long bursts.

Plus I like this mode because it's letting me get really familiar with each stage and get used to them on their toughest so when I do them in 1.5 its much less daunting.

Now I just need to find a guide to all the hidden mini-bosses. I'm pretty confused about how to get the ones for stages 2-5. I think I keep getting them and I'm not seeing the normal mid-bosses. Like in stage 2 I always fight the giant tank on the bridge, is that the ura mid-boss or the normal mid-boss?

Is the requirement to get ura mid-boss 2: get ura mid-boss in stage 1, then don't die in the stage? That 's how it sounds when I read the posts/guides, but does that mean if you don't die in any of the stages and get the first ura mid-boss then you'll fight all the ura mid-bosses in every stage?

Danny Dudekisser

Pretty sure you're getting the ura-boss. And as far as I know, you either have to not die on a stage, or get all the bees to stay on the ura path.

Yes Boss!

Chacranajxy said:
If I wasn't so lazy and busy being raped by law school finals, I would totally set up my Japanese PS2 on my dedicated shmup monitor... I wanna play Espgaluda 1, but it is so goddammned ugly and blurry in Yoko mode.
Last time I played Espgaluda I hooked the PS2 to my tated Nieman arcade monitor and it was GLORIOUS. One of the best-looking Cave ports out there. Bar none. Gives most of the 360 ports a run for their money. Plus the music is so upbeat and wonderful.

Have really fallen in love with Espgaluda II as well. So, so good.

Princess Skittles said:
I would love Espgaluda I to be a legacy XBLA title eventually.

Me too. It still remains my favourite Cave shooter, not even the mighty Ketsui and DDP Daioujou could steal its crown (or any of the other 360 Cave stuff that has been released) :p I'll have to see what I think after Daifukkatsu, Muchi Muchi and Pink Sweets.

Llyranor

I was getting all ready to preorder MMP/PS until I saw the artstyle. The gameplay still looks good in typical Cave-fashion, but I'm not sure how much of a premium I want to pay to play them. I'll wait until just before my P-A rebate expires before I decide (to buy it - maybe my decision's already been made).

Thing that weirds me out about Muchi Muchi pork is well..the pig-girls.
I mean there are those cat-girls running around in anime/games/whatever. I'd never eat a cat.

So why should I eat a pig?

This is probably why I had that dream a week or so ago about a pig trying to get in my house. If I had understood the meaning I could have been telling everyone in here that MMP was going region-free.

Llyranor said:
I was getting all ready to preorder MMP/PS until I saw the artstyle. The gameplay still looks good in typical Cave-fashion, but I'm not sure how much of a premium I want to pay to play them. I'll wait until just before my P-A rebate expires before I decide (to buy it - maybe my decision's already been made).
If offensively awful art style turns you off, you shouldn't be playing Cave games.
Alas, a game's quality is the deciding factor for me, so I'll suck it up.

Oh, there's always a chance of this making the Platinum collection for a discounted price like Mushi Futari did. You can wait and see on that.

Wehrwolf

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Thing that weirds me out about Muchi Muchi pork is well..the pig-girls.
I mean there are those cat-girls running around in anime/games/whatever. I'd never eat a cat.

So why should I eat a pig?

Please tell me you don't mean that you don't eat cats because of catgirls, and seeing pig-girls is making you reconsider your stance on eating pigs ^^;

Edit: Sorry about the double negative, but I just can't figure out how to phrase it without it

It's not that simple.

I think pigs have been out to get me for the longest time. I work at a pizza place. I'm all "heya peoples! why not get ya self a pepperoni, ham, sausage, and bacon pizza!" then the dreams start happening and sometimes I even get sick.

I think it's a sign...I gotta give up the pork.

And no this hasn't changed my stance on cow-girls and chicken-girls. I'm aware of their existence and if some dude was all "man I totally had to cook this cow-girl. Does that make us cannibals or what?" I would have been "fuck them and fuck you! We're eating."

Also pet pigs are cute as hell. Like when pigs are raised around dogs so they think they're dogs too. I definitely wouldn't eat a dog. So if I assume that all the pigs I have eaten pretended to be dogs at one point or another then well that just makes me feel terrible.

Chacranajxy said:

Unless Daifukkatsu arrives today, I'm planning on playing Espgaluda tonight. Haven't properly sat down with it for well over a year so looking forward to it. If I have the time I think I'll give Mushihime-sama and Ibara a whirl too.

hipgnosis

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Keep the pics coming guys! It's so great to see all the Cave <3 :D
Here's a pic of my small collection. Will be adding PAL Deathsmiles and MMP/PS LE to it next year!

L3b5E.jpg

Yes Boss!

hipgnosis said:
Here's a pic of my small collection. Will be adding PAL Deathsmiles and MMP/PS LE to it next year!

L3b5E.jpg
Needs more Deathsmiles! I kid.

I am also gonna get the PAL Deathsmiles for my little collection even though I'll never, ever be able to play it. Show some support for Rising Star. Hoping for a unique cover and not a rehash of the JPN/NA covers.

Bebpo

Banned
My collection is pretty small. I like shmups and my favorite ones are Cave but I'm not hardcore into them. Didn't start playing shmups seriously until Dodonpachi DoJ came out on PS2.

caves.jpg

+ Guwange XBLA

Chacranajxy said:
Interesting. It's running at like 50% speed, but yeah, I guess they did finally get that shit working.

Nah, thats because of the video i think.
It runs with 100% speed, trust me.

I play it here with my HRAP in tate.....its omg awesome :D

Danny Dudekisser

DoDonGouki said:
Nah, thats because of the video i think.
It runs with 100% speed, trust me.

I play it here with my HRAP in tate.....its omg awesome :D

Lol, alright, if you say so. Good they finally have it emulated after what... 7 or 8 years? It's really an awesome game.

Daifukkatsu finally arrived this morning! Played through 360 mode with all 3 ships and Arrange L once and so far, yeah I'm really loving this as expected. Fantastic music too, especially the first two stages.

Yes Boss!

Happy face!

Mushi got a good home in Florida. Well-loved!

Wish I could join the Cave Collection Party but all my stuff is in three different locations. Even all my J-360 titles are currently in a CD-wallet and caseless since I moved with what I could carry on a plane. Plus my new place is even smaller than a japanese apartment: 10x8 feet, which doesn't create a good game room.

One thing for certain: gonna bring back my PCBs and get those working on my little CRT here.

jlevel13

DoDonGouki said:
Just for info:

Ketsui, DDP DOJ,DDP DOJ BL are finally emulated :D

Huge news! Espgaluda should also work (although apparently there hasn't been a ROM dump made?). I wonder why this finally happened now?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Does PA charge for preorders at the time of the preorder, or when it ships? I want to use one of my coupons on MMP/PS but I'd prefer to not put the money down until it ships.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Lambtron said:
Does PA charge for preorders at the time of the preorder, or when it ships? I want to use one of my coupons on MMP/PS but I'd prefer to not put the money down until it ships.
After they get it prepared to ship.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Galuda and DOJ getting emulated is great news (no more having to bust out the ps2 version) and Ketsui is just amazing now that we have builds that correct the refresh rate and glitches. I just wish we first got those "other" games that haven't had such excellent ports already. :p

In other news, HG101 has another Cave article.

Dambrosi

Banned
JustAnotherOtaku said:
I really want to play ESP Ra De :(
There are ways and means, young Padawan - ways and means discussed openly even on this very page, albeit for other, more sought-after gems.

How you didn't know that ESP.Ra.De has been emulated for years is beyond me, since I'd have thought MAME would be the first place a gamer would look for Cave stuff.

Dambrosi said:
There are ways and means, young Padawan - ways and means discussed openly even on this very page, albeit for other, more sought-after gems.

How you didn't know that ESP.Ra.De has been emulated for years is beyond me, since I'd have thought MAME would be the first place a gamer would look for Cave stuff.

Oh I'm aware of the emulation/MAME, but I've never really looked into getting it set up etc. Despite the cost, I'd prefer to just have it on console :p

manzo

I checked out Ketsui X-mode yesterday. Holy shit, I've never played a remixed mode this awesome. I like it more than the normal arcade mode! :O

I'm also getting used to the boss attacks. I can now clear nearly every boss without bombs and dying. I think there is a 0.001% now that I can 1cc the game someday! :lol

After playing Ketsui for the whole weekend nonstop, I returned to Dodonpachi Daioujou BLEX. I always found the game impossible after 3rd level. Now I got to stage 4 with one credit, without breaking a sweat. Ketsui really does some wonderful things. :O

Chiaroscuro said:
Heads up: DoDonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label is up for pre-order at AmiAmi for only 4,170 yens. Hurry up!

I've never ordered with these guys before - what's delivery time like? Also, has anyone here ever got customs charges using them?

I ALWAYS get custom charges with PlayAsia, while YesAsia are freaking slow to deliver.

Top Bottom