• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Making a Murderer - oh you mother fuckers

Xero

I would highly recommend the paradise lost 3 part documentary if you are looking for something similar. When I watched it all 3 parts were on amazon and each part is like 10 years after the previous one. It's about the west Memphis 3

Man, this show. While Avery is probably guilty of doing it, the way everything was handled by the authorities was just an outright atrocity. They should all be in prison right beside him.
How did he do it? Not a single speck of blood in his rusty old garage full of iron and steel junk. And apparently he was able to reduce Teresa's body into ashes in a freaking burn barrell. How?

Dalek

I wonder if these shows (Murderer, Confession Tapes, etc) will end up having the effect of teaching people to NEVER make statements to police. No matter what. Just don't talk. Also that police will generally just lie to you about evidence on you.

I learned this from the First 48. And my wife who works somewhat in this type of work. Even if you're innocent-you ALWAYS wait for your lawyer to speak to the police. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.

Nokterian

I was devastated after watching the last episodes..fucking cried. And yet here we are a few years later and that poor kid is still in prison.

Sephzilla

It's a really good documentary but it's also extremely one sided in favor of making the police look bad (which they were). Ultimately the main guy did commit the crime but the police fucked with things to make him look even more guilty. Basically everyone involved is a piece of shit.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The whole series is infuriating and depressing. S2 is supposed to be on the way. There were some updates on Brendan's situation recently too.

wasnt there an update on Avery as well? that lady thats gotten several guys off completely submitted a whole dissertation(sorry dont know the legal term) like in the last 6 months or so.

Syder

I may have been born in the summer but I'm not your god damn child! I'm up to episode four, okay? Give me time! I may not be able to finish this until Friday. Tomorrow night at earliest.

Okay I'm reading a lot of ”he totally did it" on this forum and in other parts of the web. Is it really that clear that he did? If so that's disappointing because at this point I find it hard to believe he got out of prison after so long only to do something like this.
It's a really good documentary but it's also extremely one sided in favor of making the police look bad (which they were). Ultimately the main guy did commit the crime but the police fucked with things to make him look even more guilty. Basically everyone involved is a piece of shit.
The saddest part about this show is Brendan Dassey.

captive

based on what, exactly?

Sephzilla

based on what, exactly?

I need to go look some of it up again because it's been a while since I've talked about this topic (so apologies for not sourcing) but I remember there being other evidence against him that the documentary glosses over. Since i dont have my sources for that on hand i'll understand if you take my 2 cents with a grain of salt

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I love how the things OP is freaking out about turn out to be nothing.

Yea, that's what I'm noticing after each new episode. lmao I forget that a jury in the end has to use all of this evidence to return a verdict but it boggles my mind that none of this phased them.

I need to go look some of it up again because it's been a while since I've talked about this topic (so apologies for not sourcing) but I remember there being other evidence against him that the documentary glosses over. Since i dont have my sources for that on hand i'll understand if you take my 2 cents with a grain of salt

Even if they had all the evidence in the world (they don't) the case should have been a mistrial from Day 1. His constitutional rights were shit all over repeatedly.

TimmmV

Just because no one in the thread has said it yet:

FUCK Ken Kratz. Him and that guy who interviewed Brendan are scum of the lowest order, they ruined that poor kids life for no reason whatsoever. Their level of misconduct there should carry its own prison sentence. Oh, and also that creepy lawyer that Brendan had too

Seriously, that poor kid :(

The saddest part about this show is Brendan Dassey.

Yeah.

I was infuriated after watching the doc, but I think that the evidence that was left out is pretty damning. I absolutely 100% think Stephen was involved in her death. Dassey may have been, too, but he may have not known what he was doing.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Just because no one in the thread has said it yet:

FUCK Ken Kratz. Him and that guy who interviewed Brendan are scum of the lowest order, they ruined that poor kids life for no reason whatsoever. Their level of misconduct there should carry its own prison sentence. Oh, and also that creepy lawyer that Brendan had too

Seriously, that poor kid :(

Seriously. Everything about Kratz upsets me greatly.

Also this reporter trying to make the defense lawyer after Colborn's testimony feel like an asshole for interrogating him on the witness stand... what? And what of Steve Avery and how that cop failed to report Gregory Allen in the other jail admitting to the first crime committed? Oh, but let's feel bad for the officer being interrogated. Fuck off.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
This was a show that I just couldn't stop, I think I went through the entire thing in 2 days.
It wasn't a on in the background type situation either, I sat on the couch and intensely watched it spiral further and further down a very dark & disturbing hole.

"okay, this is the last one then well go to bed"
*end of episode*
"wtf did they do now, whats at the junk yard"
netflix auto play starts next episode
"well, can't stop it now"

captive

wasnt there an update on Avery as well? that lady thats gotten several guys off completely submitted a whole dissertation(sorry dont know the legal term) like in the last 6 months or so.

found it.

Zellner Alleges Teresa Halbach May Have Been Killed by Ex-Boyfriend In June 2017, Zellner filed a 1,200-page notice for post conviction relief in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, in which she alleged that Teresa Halbach’s ex-boyfriend may have killed her. In the filing, Zellner notes that Halbach was in an abusive relationship with Ryan Hillegas prior to her murder and that jealousy could have been his motive for the murder when Halbach didn’t remain romantically interested in him.
http://www.thewrap.com/making-a-murderer-updates-since-series-premiere-photos/

Also Dassey's confession was upheld as coerced by a federal appeals court.
Federal Appeals Court Upholds Ruling That Dassey’s Confession Was Coerced In June of this year, a federal appeals court upheld the ruling that Dassey’s conviction was coerced and he should be released from prison. The majority of the three-judge panel agreed with Judge William Duffin’s August ruling that Dassey’s confession of the murder of Teresa Halbach was involuntary and that investigators violated Dassey’s rights.

steve9842016

Neo Member

Yeah I don't recall anything particularly damning outside of the documentary that made me believe Avery did it.

The most damning aspect of the whole thing was Teresa's ex and not investigating him at all. Brendan's incarceration as well.

When you get a chance I'd like to see some info when you find it.

Also fuck Ken Kratz. That dude gets off on his sick fantasy of how it supposedly happened.

Dalek

Yeah I don't recall anything particularly damning outside of the documentary that made me believe Avery did it.

The most damning aspect of the whole thing was Teresa's ex and not investigating him at all.

When you get a chance I'd like to see some info when you find it.

Also fuck Ken Kratz. That dude gets off on his sick fantasy of how it supposedly happened.

This was the biggest red flag for the investigation. The police never considered any other suspects so no one else was ever investigated. They made it their focus to arrest Avery immediately and then prove he was involved. That's not how an investigation should go.

captive

This was the biggest red flag for the investigation. The police never considered any other suspects so no one else was ever investigated. They made it their focus to arrest Avery immediately and then prove he was involved. That's not how an investigation should go.

yea, I've watched enough Lt Joe Kenda Homicide Hunter to know you always look at the spouse first.

I still remember, the ex boyfriend finds the car in the first 15 minutes of searching the yard.... first of all, why would SA leave the car in his lot and secondly what are the odds the ex boyfriend just stumbles upon it in 20 seconds of looking.

Jetman

Just googling this for updates and I guess the federal court is getting its hands on Brendan Dasseys case for an appeal?

And I think I remember recently Steven Avery coming out with statements that he thinks his own brother commited the murder?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
This prosecution pisses me off. The presumption of innocence that police officers get is really something else. I'm halfway into episode 7 and the state attorney on the case with Kratz is saying that his blood is boiling because of the suggestion that the officers may have planted evidence, "these good, decent men." Okay, so despite what happened to Avery the first time and how officers have a history of doing this, we are going to just pretend it's impossible for this to happen? I hate this.

OldRoutes

I still remember, the ex boyfriend finds the car in the first 15 minutes of searching the yard.... first of all, why would SA leave the car in his lot and secondly what are the odds the ex boyfriend just stumbles upon it in 20 seconds of looking.

Hum I'm pretty sure it's a woman that found the car, no?

Jetman

Yeah, and didn't the ex boyfriend and the brother go through the victims phone and start deleting shit? How in the fuck is that not suspicions in the least?

Dalek

Yeah, and didn't the ex boyfriend and the brother go through the victims phone and start deleting shit? How in the fuck is that not suspicions in the least?

he went into her voicemail and deleted voicemails. He claimed he "Guessed" her password and deleted the voicemails. Why would someone do that if the person is missing?

Jetman

he went into her voicemail and deleted voicemails. He claimed he "Guessed" her password and deleted the voicemails. Why would someone do that if the person is missing?

Exactly! How and why this wasn't a bigger part of the investigation astounds me.

LordRaptor

The most infuriating part to me was a part with a judge - I think at a bail hearing - just casually talking about due to his criminal background and time spent in prison there were sufficient grounds for whatever was being argued, when there was like, 100% proof that he had been wrongfully convicted and should not have been in prison all those years in the first place.

I was literally dumbfounded.

That and the interviews with various police when confronted with his previous wrongful conviction and that he had been innocent all along being all like "yea, but was he tho?" and implying that it was some tricky lawyer bullshit shenanigans that had got him off the hook for something he'd totally done, even with all the evidence that said he was absolutely innocent of the crime he had been convicted of (not the one covered in this series)

OP made it sound like an episodic series...

Yeah, its episodic, and its put together really well so you are really left hanging and wanting to watch the next episode at the end of each.

Like, episode 1 is "Heres a guy, he was wrongfully convicted, evidence has cleared him, he definitely did not do the crime, and now hes been let out of prison" and the end of the episode is like a talking head lawyer saying something like "And at the end of all that, its good to know justice prevailed and this kind of shit gets sorted out" then immediately cuts to a news report that hes been arrested again as the end.

(watched it when it came out so memory probably faulty on the details)

The most infuriating part to me was a part with a judge - I think at a bail hearing - just casually talking about due to his criminal background and time spent in prison there were sufficient grounds for whatever was being argued, when there was like, 100% proof that he had been wrongfully convicted and should not have been in prison all those years in the first place.

What about shit like burning the cat alive and beating and threatening to kill his girlfriend?

Apocryphon

I think the general assumption is that the police had already searched the property without a warrant and found the car, then told whoever found it where to look.

Apocryphon

The evidence not discussed or misrepresented in the documentary along with the *67 phonecalls he made, the burn barrel/pit evidence, and that he had opportunity were enough for me to believe he did it. I do think Brandon helped move stuff and clean but I think he was manipulated by Avery and his interviews and conviction are disgusting.

The cops may have planted the evidence to try and secure a conviction and the ex-boyfriend and victims brother should have been investigated as that never sat right with me, but I do think Avery killed her.

I don't know who built this website, but http://stevenaverycase.com is an interesting read.

LordRaptor

What about shit like burning the cat alive and beating and threatening to kill his girlfriend?

Like I say, its from memory when I watched it, but the implication wasn't "Because you did some dumbass edgelord shit as a teenager 30 years ago".
It was "Because you served 30 years for horrific rape murder".

A crime that he was exonerated of.

Top Bottom