• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
HenryGale said:
Goddam those jailbreaks look ugly. Why do people do that.

I think it looks fantastic personally, made me ponder a jailbreak myself. Although I'm a bit wary of it while I'm in the middle of a contract. If I get a new phone when this is up I'll probably do it to my old one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
HenryGale said:
Goddam those jailbreaks look ugly. Why do people do that.
Lol?
You don't even make any sense.
All a JB does is giver you full root access to your device.
It doesnt change the look of the firmware at all. As to why we do it...
It's rather nice to break Apple's and AT&T's ridiculous restrictions.
Some of us like expose-like task switching, downloading games over 20MBs via 3G, employing FaceTime over 3G, enabling tethering on my device, enabling true multitasking, installing widgets, greatly expanding built in voice controls to do or launch ANYthing, displaying emails, calendars, feeds on out lockscreens, and SO much more!

Oh, I'm under contract too. A JB can be completely undone and restored to factory freshness with a few mouse clicks in iTunes, if you need to get it serviced or exchanged.

elfinke

Mejilan said:
Hark! Smells like an opportunity to post screens of my heavily customized SpringBoard!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/ip4photo0.png/IMG]

Page 1 of my SpringBoard, aka my home screen.
And who says that the iPhone can't do Android-style widgets!?
(PagePerHTML, Cydia)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/ip4photo1.png/IMG]

Page 2 is a bit more generic, but thanks to Gridlock (Cydia), my icons don't auto-sort up and left to fill in blank spaces!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/ip4photo2.png/IMG]

Page 3 has most of my games, organized into convenient folders.  You'll notice that the dock is displaying icons 5-8.  I can scroll home pages and dock pages independently thanks to ScrollingBoard (Cydia), which also does much more than that.  Hey, is that the rumored Quest folder?!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/ip4photo3.png/IMG]

Oh my goodness.  iPad-like SpringBoard rotation on an iPhone?!  (SBRotator4, Cydia)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Mejilan/Miscellaneous/ip4photo4.png/IMG]

And finally, displaying the contents of that magical Quest folder.  FolderEnhancer (Cydia) makes folders pretty, allows us to insert folders within folders, and breaks Apple's ridiculous 12 app per folder limit.  Good thing, too, because as you can well see, I'd be over the 12 app limit thanks to the 3 new expansions released since I last provided screenies of my iPhone's SpringBoard!

---------------------

If you've a keen eye, you might also have noticed the progression of my widescreen wallpaper as I went from page to page of my SpringBoard.  Normally, the iPhone would scale a widescreen wallpaper down to fit the horizontal limits, basically reducing it to a thumbnail with large black borders on the top and bottom, but thanks to Parallax (Cydia, seeing a pattern here?), I'm now sporting Android-like widescreen wallpaper scrolling as well![/QUOTE]

Holy smokes, those screenies are fantastic! I never knew JB iPhones were capable of this (I'm assuming that is what is going on here?)! Do want!

Also, The Quest is great. Every time I log into this thread, I see a handful of recommendations that I end up downloading, then forgetting to play (damn you Carcassone/Dungeon Hunter/Words!) only to discover when I'm scrolling through my pages a week later.

Mejilan said:
Oh, I'm under contract too. A JB can be completely undone and restored to factory freshness with a few mouse clicks in iTunes, if you need to get it serviced or exchanged.

I think I'm more worried I'd botch it and then be paying for a broken phone. I've had bad experiences modding/hacking things before so I tend not to try that sort of thing anymore. I'm a big wuss I know.

graywolf323

randomlyrossy said:
I think it looks fantastic personally, made me ponder a jailbreak myself. Although I'm a bit wary of it while I'm in the middle of a contract. If I get a new phone when this is up I'll probably do it to my old one.

I'd be tempted except my iPod Touch came with 4.2 on it and from what I've read that means I can't jailbreak it yet

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stardunk-gold/id409223431?mt=8

Star Dunk Gold is free today: :D

Pretty cool game.

mzl.paobpuzb.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.rqsrsayc.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.icaxunrh.320x480-75.jpg

Hige

Mejilan said:
Lol?
You don't even make any sense.

Some of us like expose-like task switching, downloading games over 20MBs via 3G, employing FaceTime over 3G, enabling tethering on my device, enabling true multitasking, installing widgets, greatly expanding built in voice controls to do or launch ANYthing, displaying emails, calendars, feeds on out lockscreens, and SO much more!
I think he's talking about the layout of your springboard, which I'm not a fan of either. Most of the features you listed won't affect the look of the springboard unless you wanted it to look different. To me, even the status bar looks busy. I wouldn't need the month/day on there and I could just use SBSettings to check available memory. I don't think his comment was about the benefits of jailbreaking so much as the graphical layout.

Superfrog said:
Pizza Boy is definitely among the best on iOS. However, did you also check out Soosiz, They Need To Be Fed and Bounce On? In my opinion, all three are great platformers with spot-on controls, too.

I'm also enjoying League of Evil so far, the lack of a physical d-pad could become problematic once the levels get harder and require more precise control, though.

I do have Soosiz. Great platformer, too. Not a huge fan of the constant visual change in orientation but the controls are great.

Mejilan

Hige said:
I think he's talking about the layout of your springboard, which I'm not a fan of either. Most of the features you listed won't affect the look of the springboard unless you wanted it to look different. To me, even the status bar looks busy. I wouldn't need the month/day on there and I could just use SBSettings to check available memory. I don't think his comment was about the benefits of jailbreaking so much as the graphical layout.
Yeah, that's what had me confused. Save for perhaps the Android style scrolling widescreen wallpaper thing (which is so cool in motion, as the icons in the foreground scroll faster than the wallpaper), most of my tweaks are for utility, not looks.

I'm pretty anal about how I categorize and present my information, and from my professional experience, I can tell you that it definitely doesn't work for everyone.

But I love tons of info in a single glance, so the busy approach is the one I favor. But there are so many ways to customize it. Heck, there are almost completely differentiated global reskin themes out there. Like EightOS. Shit, we can even install a parallel and mostly functional version of Android Froyo on our iPhones, and dual-boot! Craziness!

Hige

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Okay... League of Evil is pretty awesome. The gameplay is pretty simplistic, but the controls are spot on for me.

Also, Hige, I love your avatar, where is that from?
I wish I knew! There's a bunch of remixes on youtube if you search for derp otter, but I haven't been able to find info about its origin. Seems like it's from an older cartoon or movie due to the image quality.

I'm really impressed with League of Evil's controls. They're really good and the game still manages to be fairly fast-paced. Sort of Super Meat Boy lite-ish, but it has a different feel to it. The sound effect when jumping is strangely fulfilling too.

The scoring needs some work though. If you get the briefcase with less than 3 stars, the briefcase icon will show up as being collected. If you then beat the level with 3 stars without the briefcase, the icon disappears. But, if you do the level a 3rd time and get the briefcase and less than 3 stars, the menu will show that you got the briefcase and 3 stars. Doesn't seem intentional.

japtor

japtor said:
I have a feeling the Tactile Plus overlays would help in League of Evil just cause it'd give you a feel of where the center is...on the other hand it doesn't appear to have a dead zone between the buttons so I could see that being a problem, as long as your finger is there you're going to be constantly moving. I guess I'll try it some time later today.
Well I tried it and they help, although they weren't designed for left/right only dpads so it's a little high, still works more or less though. I did find myself missing the buttons a lot more for whatever reason, guess I still haven't gotten used to their placement.
Hige said:
The scoring needs some work though. If you get the briefcase with less than 3 stars, the briefcase icon will show up as being collected. If you then beat the level with 3 stars without the briefcase, the icon disappears. But, if you do the level a 3rd time and get the briefcase and less than 3 stars, the menu will show that you got the briefcase and 3 stars. Doesn't seem intentional.
I haven't tested my theory out but I think it's intentional. Like the stars are worth more than the briefcase, but you also have to get the briefcase on the same run to get credit for it. So 3 star run + briefcase would be the highest ranking, then 3 stars, then 2 stars + case, then 2 stars, etc.

edit- Just remembered one minor complaint I have with the game...it's a bit blurry on iPhone 4 (and I assume 4th gen iPod). Looks like they haven't manually controlled the scaling and ended up with the smoothed 2x scale. Guess I'll mention it to them on their contact form and see if they know of this fix or other methods.

Hige

japtor said:
I haven't tested my theory out but I think it's intentional. Like the stars are worth more than the briefcase, but you also have to get the briefcase on the same run to get credit for it. So 3 star run + briefcase would be the highest ranking, then 3 stars, then 2 stars + case, then 2 stars, etc.
Well, I can do a 3 star run (no briefcase) and then a 0 star run + briefcase and it effectively looks like I did a 3 star + briefcase run according to the menu. Doing these steps in reverse will only give you credit for the 3 stars. It feels like you can cheat the system since you don't need to get 3 stars and the briefcase in the same run to get credit for both. It's only a minor gripe though.

Reese-015

rc213 said:
BUBBLE BOBBLE DOUBLE dropped to $2.99, Anyone own it here?

http://itunes.apple.com/app/bubble-bobble-double/id392252535?mt=8

Always loved the look of the game in screenshots and videos, been waiting for it to drop in price and I just got it and tried it out. I love it! It's super-smooth, really beautiful art and fx and just really damn fun. It's already one of my favorite games, so good.

(note: I don't care for the 'classic' mode, I know some people have bought the game for the classic old Bubble Bobble gameplay and have complained about that, I bought the game for the 'new' stuff and it is awesome)

Bungalow Bob said:
Since this seemed pretty unlikely I decided to check. And yup, it's there. Just search for "The Quest" and it'll be the first result.

I just finished the game as a female undead hero. It took me about 70 hours. I recommend playing as a non-undead male though, because although some of the NPCs change what they say because you're a woman or undead, others do not and say things that don't make sense unless you're a non-undead male.

Yes, it is there! Dunno what happened, bug or something!

Mejilan

Blackace said:
Mejilan

The Quest expansions. in what order?
Hiya. I believe that the order I have them listed in my folder represents their relative order of minimum recommended starting level.

The only exception to this would be the only expansion that's totally free, the Cursed Chess one, I believe. That one was created for relatively new characters, though it does have an optional difficult dungeon for souped up characters.

Quest and Quest Gold are identical in all respects save for one. The Gold version has the first bunch of expansions baked right in.
Vanilla Quest and Quest Gold do NOT share the same save files. If you think you'll be buying expansions, just get the Gold version, as it represents a better dollar value. Both are officially supported. Updates and bug fixes to one will get ported to the other usually within hours.

Completely 3-Starred and Briefcased the first "page" of levels in League of Evil tonight. Such a fun game.

I like that there are three ways to beat each level:

1) Under the time limit for 3 stars
2) With the briefcase for the special medal
3) Under the time limit WITH the briefcase

I, like someone else, noticed that if you do them out of order, you seem to either get the stars, or the briefcase, but if you do them both at the same time, you get all of them. (EX, 1st run, I get the briefcase, but go over the time limit, level select shows the briefcase badge. 2nd run, get the time, but not the briefcase, level select shows the 3 stars, but the briefcase is gone. 3rd run, get the briefcase again, level select shows 3-stars and briefcase badge.)

The controls really, really are solid. So far I have no complaints at all, and I'm on level 18/54.

heringer

Mejilan said:
Hiya. I believe that the order I have them listed in my folder represents their relative order of minimum recommended starting level.

The only exception to this would be the only expansion that's totally free, the Cursed Chess one, I believe. That one was created for relatively new characters, though it does have an optional difficult dungeon for souped up characters.

Quest and Quest Gold are identical in all respects save for one. The Gold version has the first bunch of expansions baked right in.
Vanilla Quest and Quest Gold do NOT share the same save files. If you think you'll be buying expansions, just get the Gold version, as it represents a better dollar value. Both are officially supported. Updates and bug fixes to one will get ported to the other usually within hours.
Would you recommend playing the free expansion first then? I don't have the credits right now. :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Blackace said:
Mejilan

The Quest expansions. in what order?

This site may help a little.

Lists the recommended starting levels of all The Quest games. Gold contains the original, first expansion (Islands of Ice and Fire?) and first two parts (of 5) of Hero of Lukomorye. So it's like a 4-in-1, decent value if you are getting started in the games it seems.

There's plenty of other parts on that site, as you can see, and many expansions outside of the 5-part Hero of Lukomorye that are not even released yet.

ksan

Mejilan said:

Ok, cool, bought Gold. :)

Mejilan

heringer said:
Would you recommend playing the free expansion first then? I don't have the credits right now. :p
I haven't played that one yet, so I don't know how well it represents the main Quest experience. Also, I'm not sure if characters created in the stand-alone expansions can be ported to the main game (and subsequently, the other expansions).

I'm fairly sure that there's a lite version of the Quest that you can try for free and is good for most of the content concerning the starting village and surrounding areas. You should be able to port that save to the main game if you decide to buy it.

Mejilan

ksan said:
Ok, cool, bought Gold. :)
Enjoy!
Later today I'll try to compile a post containing tips and strategies for new Questers and perhaps a shallow explanation of some of the core systems that drive the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wow, I just counted and there's 19 parts planned to The Quest (the original + 18 expansions). That's crazy, and more will probably turn up too. Gotta be like 300 or 400 hours of gaming, going by the game's description that the Gold bundle (4 of the 19 parts) offers around 100 hours.

heringer

Mejilan said:
I haven't played that one yet, so I don't know how well it represents the main Quest experience. Also, I'm not sure if characters created in the stand-alone expansions can be ported to the main game (and subsequently, the other expansions).

I'm fairly sure that there's a lite version of the Quest that you can try for free and is good for most of the content concerning the starting village and surrounding areas. You should be able to port that save to the main game if you decide to buy it.
Yeah, I tried the Lite version but I'm still not quite sold on the game. But since I really want to like it I might check out the free expansion and see if I can finish that. :)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Mike Works said:
Not seeing the achievement anywhere.

Did you download the free "Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff" or are you looking in the paid "Flick Kick Field Goal"?

They are 2 seperate apps.

Mejilan said:
Enjoy!
Later today I'll try to compile a post containing tips and strategies for new Questers and perhaps a shallow explanation of some of the core systems that drive the game.

Sorry for another question, but where did you get that particular widget that you are using on your home screen?

Mejilan

It's currently the only PPH widget on Cydia that doesn't come with PPH itself.

HTC something or other released within the last week or two. Should be easy to find in Cydia. I'll check it's real name and post back once I get into the office, if you haven't found it by then.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Reese-015 said:
Always loved the look of the game in screenshots and videos, been waiting for it to drop in price and I just got it and tried it out. I love it! It's super-smooth, really beautiful art and fx and just really damn fun. It's already one of my favorite games, so good.

(note: I don't care for the 'classic' mode, I know some people have bought the game for the classic old Bubble Bobble gameplay and have complained about that, I bought the game for the 'new' stuff and it is awesome)
Ok, you sold me on it :)
Just bought it, but I gotta wait for the next few days when I'll be on wifi.
I swear to god I'd be tempted to jailbreak just to be able to dl whatever the fuck I want :/

Mejilan said:
It's currently the only PPH widget on Cydia that doesn't come with PPH itself.

HTC something or other released within the last week or two. Should be easy to find in Cydia. I'll check it's real name and post back once I get into the office, if you haven't found it by then.

Found it! Thanks again

Sh0k

Has anyone tried Infinity Field ? It's listed under the New and Noteworthy in the AppStore and I was wondering if the game is any different from Geometry Wars that I already own.

mzl.hlftoudd.480x480-75.jpg

iTunes Link

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Sh0k said:
Has anyone tried Infinity Field ? It's listed under the New and Noteworthy in the AppStore and I was wondering if the game is any different from Geometry Wars that I already own.

mzl.hlftoudd.480x480-75.jpg

iTunes Link

Buy it right now. Controls are insanely good. Gameplay is great. I bought it the minute it released and I absolutely love it. After playing it , you will forget you even have geometry wars on your iPad. I shit you not.

soldat7

The big problem with The Quest is the font. It hurts the eyes on a Retina display. I understand why they can't update all the art to Retina, but I really wish they would use built-in fonts so those with Retina don't have to read the punishing non-Retina fonts.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Gamecocks625 said:
Dang. What about all the games with "Flick" in their titles? Surely someone doesn't have a trademark for "flick". sheesh

Yes

In (UK at least) trademark law, if Funny Bum studios have the trademark on the word "Butt" as it pertains to games, and makes games called Butt Racing and Butt Shooting, you will be committing trademark infringement if you make a game call Butt Flying.

I really really enjoy Battleheart. Ive put in over 5 hours now, and my 4 main characters are just about to hit 20. Ive gotten a quite a few more crashes than I would like, but not enough to stop me from playing.

Question though, does anyone know if there is a difference between the duplicate classes? Different spells or something?

Sh0k

8sanders said:
Buy it right now. Controls are insanely good. Gameplay is great. I bought it the minute it released and I absolutely love it. After playing it , you will forget you even have geometry wars on your iPad. I shit you not.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I just bought the game and it blows away GW. Love the automatic pause when you take your fingers out of the screen and love the subtle 3D effect. Controls felt tighter than GW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom