• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Salaadin

My favorite scene in OoT was when you witness Zelda being hauled away by Ganon on horseback and Link stands up to him so confidently. I remember thinking "WTF is wrong with you! Youre a little kid!" but it was so badass.

Salaadin said:
My favorite scene in OoT was when you witness Zelda being hauled away by Ganon on horseback and Link stands up to him so confidently. I remember thinking "WTF is wrong with you! Youre a little kid!" but it was so badass.
My favorite part was leaving Saria, I love how there's no music in that scene.

apana

spoiler alert: Link goes back in time and becomes his own grandfather. That's why it's the number one rated game of all time.

The Lamonster said:
My favorite part was leaving Saria, I love how there's no music in that scene.

Yes that was a great one. There SO MANY great cut scene moments in the game, I remember getting goosebumps/teary eyed from many.

Here's one: Playing Epona's song for the first time as adult Link.

Updated the comparison screenshots:

200ptv5.png

2rh7hn6.png

33lnjo7.png

33nda13.png

2lj4xh4.png

erzuqc.png

20sueix.png

zml95d.png

2z812zq.png

25qufpt.png

Clipboard01.png

20atpj6.png

2ng642w.png

2lctybo.png

iqisnq.png

112ebdk.png

bfki84.png

f0q4ck.png

1045lw9.png

hupo37.png

1z3t0lz.png

2z4znr7.png

smu4g9.png

okwmyd.png

o9nvd1.png

69p3wh.png

15eipu1.png

2ii9a9s.png

1z1fifr.png

11tn81x.png

ei2s6o.png

k1qf5w.png

2i06e5g.png

2598k0j.png

14j6lts.png

dg3psp.png

2aer18p.png

xo42n7.png

161z5v4.png

2s7xlia.png

2chm1k3.png

2ibn9yc.png

207nyfn.png

2re5iyd.png

jv0nc8.png

35a0n5w.png

2s96teu.png

Prime Blue said:
Updated the comparison screenshots:

Great work.

People who said 3DS version has no fog:

2ng642w.png

1z3t0lz.png

Has even more fog than the N64 version in Kokiri village.

Also plenty of adult Link shots up there.

Clott

I don't like the changes to the intro! terrible change. The whole point of that scene is it's after sun set or right before sun rise, and we see link by himself toiling away. By changing the color scheme and making it brighter you ruin all the atmosphere, there is a reason the into is set to THIS music.

I am worried they are starting to change things just for the sake of changing things.

33lnjo7.png

Izayoi

Banned
Naked Snake said:
Great work.

People who said 3DS version has no fog:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ng642w.png[img]

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/1z3t0lz.png[IMG]

Has even more fog than the N64 version in Kokiri village.[/QUOTE]
It looks like intentional volumetric fog to me.

[QUOTE=Gravijah]Heart container looks kinda funny.[/QUOTE]
Your face looks kinda funny.

Izayoi said:
It looks like intentional volumetric fog to me.

I agree, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Someone was speculating if the 3DS could not render fog or it was removed everywhere. Thankfully that's not the case.

Clott

Roi said:
Images on the left have more charisma/feeling :(

They do, and it's not the nostalgia talking. They want the "newness" of this game to stand out, so they think everything has to be really vibrant or the fans wont be able to tell they difference. They should give us more credit, I love the new texture work but if you make very scene really bright you just end up ruining more of the atmosphere. Not everything has to be teaming with light and contrast, but some things do warrant the change, like Lon Lon ranch can have high contrasts, but not the intro....

wrowa

Clott said:
They do, and it's not the nostalgia talking. They want the "newness" of this game to stand out, so they think everything has to be really vibrant or the fans wont be able to tell they difference. They should give us more credit, I love the new texture work but if you make very scene really bright you just end up ruining more of the atmosphere. Not everything has to be teaming with light and contrast, but some things do warrant the change, like Lon Lon ranch can have high contrasts, but not the intro....
The intro in both versions is exactly the same. It starts at night and ends with sunrise. There is no difference to speak of.

KarmaCow

polyh3dron said:
holy fuck this looks amazing.

people who think the 3DS screens still look N64ish need to GTFO

Really? It's better but it's not a massive jump. The one in the Temple of Time kinda looks worse.

EDIT: Actually, that's a bit much, but still.

Cwarrior

evertime i see this game i think "blasphemy ott doesn't need a remake, there remake the wrong zelda"

right answer tww needs one

wrowa said:
It's called "nostalgia".

nostalgia is an amazing perception changer, all I can say about the ones of the left is how could I have ever tried to play that, certainly not "it has more charisma/feeling".

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Dear god they need to fix Link's hands ASAP. He doesn't have any wrists!

Clott said:
I am worried they are starting to change things just for the sake of changing things.

I don't think those shots are from the final intro. They look like the early shots from E3 2010. It would be a shame if the final product goes for solely garish blue skies instead of the more sombre palette of the first game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Eh, screens aren't looking very hot. It's improved, but the leap seems more 1998->2001 than something the true power of the 3ds can muster.

Maybe it will impress in motion come June.

Clott

Brandon F said:
Eh, screens aren't looking very hot. It's improved, but the leap seems more 1998->2001 than something the true power of the 3ds can muster.

I don't think it will truly impress till you have the cartridge in your 3DS and see the 3D effect.

Cwarrior

ever time i see this game i think "blasphemy ott doesn't need a remake, there remake the wrong zelda"

right answer tww needs one

Brandon F said:

From my experience screenshots don't do 3DS games any justice... I have Pilotwings, Ridge Racer, and Street Fighter. I wasn't impressed by any of their screenshots before release, but seeing them in 3D on the 3DS was a revelation and the "wow factor" is consistent and remains for the entire duration of play.

I have no doubt OoT will look so much better in 3D.

Pappasman

Clott said:
I don't like the changes to the intro! terrible change. The whole point of that scene is it's after sun set or right before sun rise, and we see link by himself toiling away. By changing the color scheme and making it brighter you ruin all the atmosphere, there is a reason the into is set to THIS music.

I completely agree, its my favorite title screen of any game for that reason. It's my favorite time of day.

Willy105 said:
Because there is no such thing as enough Wind Waker.

I agree, but a break from that style would be nice.

Christopher

A moment that stood out ot me in OoT as a memorbale moment too are some of the Shiek comments where the dramatic camera angles/music show you things of the past:

- Saria not at her stoop no more
- Zoras domain being frozen when it was such a lively place.

In the old game young link had no connection with the sand areas hopefully they add something

Cwarrior

Luigi87 said:
Why would a game that already looks gorgeous need a remake?

not graphics its missing like 3 dungeons and needs the difficulty rampt up to be perfect.

the only zelda that was clearly rushed a bit.

trudderham said:
Some more screenshots I've managed to grab :D
Ocarina-of-Time-41.jpg

Great shots! The above one is a relief for me because I've been worried about the small shadows that trail Link's feet, I haven't been able to see them clearly in other shots. Loved that shadow and the way it moves according to the light source (Navi, torch, sun, etc.)

Top Bottom