• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len1978

GitarooMan said:
I just hope they finally develop a profile based online system rather than tying purchases to a specific console. They have to do that this time, right? Right?

This is a Must Have

Suzzopher

Kensuke Tanabe was talking of having more studios like Retro in the west, I guess we can expect to see Nintendo purchase a couple of studios soon.

defferoo

XAL said:
The last time Nintendo was ahead in terms of tech for home consoles was the N64.
The Gamecube and especially the Wii have been very profitable for them.
They don't need to be on the same level technologically as Microsoft and Sony because the real power behind their money making are their classic IPs, lower manufacturing costs than their competitors' products, and their strong hold on portable gaming.

Looking at this one way, this could be a calculated move to basically take advantage of the fact that Sony and MS expressed they want to stay on this cycle for another 3 years or so. Nintendo is already making tons of money with the Wii, but now that those sales have evened out they release a newer more competitive product - which I'm sure a ton of people will buy as long as there's a Mario title at launch.

Maybe the Wii was a way to earn massive amounts of money to build a competitive console for the remaining years of this gen, benefiting from the decreased manufacturing costs that their competitors only recently benefited from (last couple of years).

Maybe they know that we don't need to see Mario's pours sweat as he smashes blocks with his head and ass. Except for say Metroid, F-Zero, LoZ and the like, a huge technological leap wouldn't do a lot from a style perspective for a fair amount of their titles. Maybe staying just a little behind technologically is smarter for Nintendo, whereas Microsoft and Sony can't do the same things because their IPs are more hardware intensive....

If so, that's petty smart. But I still want a ridiculously good looking Legend of Zelda game (ala Uncharted fidelity).
The gamecube was actually fairly cutting edge at the time of it's reveal. The team that developed the gamecube GPU was bought by ati and their tech formed the foundation for ati's next generation of radeon processors. It was also an extremely efficient machine whereas the xbox was pretty much a PC stuffed in a console case. The main advantage the xbox had over the gamecube was its shaders.

WillyFive

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
There's always zumba dance fitness funtime 7. The lack of support for the Wii is disheartening.

If they just bought a Wii, then they have 4 years worth of games available at their disposal from the get go.

The drought isn't going to affect them at all.

Luckyman said:
It will not be as cutting edge as Sony or MS system. Nintendo will never be able to sell at $100+ loss
They could afford to, but I can imagine the executive bringing this possibility up not being invited to the next Iwata Asks.
Woffls said:
If Nintendo 6 (Yes, I'm calling it that) just upscales to 720p/1080p, can we actually expect Wind Waker to look like this? I'm not sure what other post-processing Dolphin applies to emulation to get those results.
Upscaling would just take the 480p output and stretch it. Doesn't look nearly as good, but that's the norm for BC because it's easier to make things not break that way.

Triton55 said:
IGN's article has been updated to say "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3." OP needs another update.

3412783.jpg

Mortrialus said:
First off, fuck achievements and trophies. There is nothing more distracting and immersion killing in a game than having the sound on the game get drowned out by a stupid fanfare as a huge brick of colors and text I don't give a shit about pops up on the screen for a few seconds. There isn't a single game where achievement do aside from take away from the enjoyment of a game.

/

I love achievements and I think Nintendo would be smart to add something like Tokens for every game you Complete, something for me to collect.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Wii IGN said:
Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market. Nintendo is reportedly showing the console to publishers to garner interest for a late 2012 launch.

Vitality Sensor built in. Half Life 3 (Episode 3) PC/Super Wii exclusive.

You heard it here first.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Wario64 said:
Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

nB8ud.gif

tuffy

This is interesting because the market leader is typically one of the last to bring in new hardware, but 6 years is still a very good run by any console. However, by allowing 3rd parties to "place their bets" now, Nintendo's in a strong position to line up franchises that were sent to other systems by default last time around. I'm sure this console will have something else to differentiate from the 360/PS3 besides HD graphics, but the timing itself is quite shrewd.

Can someone explain to me (if the details are true) why Nintendo is announcing this soon but with an apparently targeted date of late 2012? Seems rather early to announce a new console and have everyone wait and pretty much kill your current sales for that long.

evangd007

Owensboro said:
Except that doesn't mean they are making a "monster" machine. It could mean they are making something that is indeed "more powerful" then a PS3 or 360, but by how much? I'd wager on them making something that has specs just a little better then the PS3 and 360 currently are. After all, cutting edge graphics hasn't been Nintendo's MO in a long, long time.

All I ask for is 720p and 60 fps. Anything else is gravy.

Anyone else get the feeling that Nintendo is attempting a kill shot here? Hitting Sony and MS with the next generation right when they are getting profitable this gen, releasing first in the next gen to attempt to get a head start, attempting to capture the dudebros so the remaining pieces of pie are so small that it can't sustain two competitors?

MisterHero

Man I hope this massive news leak somehow progresses to the system being revealed today with a surprise press conference

Arnie

Willy105 said:
One generation.

That's it.

One generation of them not competing with their competitors in graphics.

That means now that's how Nintendo has always and always will roll?

Anyway, I for one am not excited for any new console just yet.
No but Nintendo went a certain direction with the Wii because they believed they couldn't (and wouldn't find the benefit of) competing directly with Sony and Microsoft with bleeding edge graphics. I'm pretty dubious of them doing a complete U-turn on that strategy, especially after the success of the Wii.

Whilst the update in the OP mentions one source claiming the machine is more powerful than the 360 and the PS3, it damn well better be, because maybe only a year after this new machine is rumoured to launch the two other hardware manufacturers may well release machines that eclipse the current generation of consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looking forward to this since I usually pick up Nintendo consoles at launch and I'm not expecting the PS3/360 successors to be out yet.

Triton55 said:
IGN's article has been updated to say "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3." OP needs another update.

If that is this true that's great , that means MS and Sony have to get up off there asses.
We have tech to make systems 4 or 5 times more powerful that current system at 400.

birdchili

Freezie KO said:
Wiimote and nunchuk is fine for pretty much anything except for Street Fighter. It's the best way to play Call of Duty, which is the biggest "traditional" franchise in gaming. Add a few more buttons circling the A button, and you're good to go.
it needs a way for good camera control in a third-person game. i'm not sure there was a wii game that really nailed this in a way that was even close to as usable as a second analog.

Mortrialus said:
Second, downloadable content is a scam and blatant rip off on all but a few rare exceptions.

DLC is awful, but you can pretty much guarantee it'll be there if the goal is to appease third-parties.

I hope for Nintendo's next system:

- Continuing with Free online multiplayer.
- No DLC for Nintendo developed games.
- Profile name rather than friend codes, with improved notifications, friend acceptances, etc. 3DS made a good advancement. Let's take the final step.
- Achievements/Trophies optional (I don't care either way, but others do.)

Anth0ny

I can't imagine it not being as strong as PS4/720. It would make no sense at all to have a weaker console (although stronger than PS3/360), and not be able to release the best version of COD, Grand Theft Auto or whatever the fuck is selling like hot cakes next gen. They'd just be making the same mistake they made this gen in regards to third parties.

As for Wind Waker/GC games, I don't think this will have GC backwards compatibility. They'll obviously open a GC virtual console store, or just release GC games on discs, upscaled to 1080p.

Either way I'm fucking hyped to play Wind Waker in 1080p. I'd pay anything.

WillyFive

I wouldn't trust the IGN article. It just sounds like a rumor article, except calling it confirmed.

Luckyman said:
It will not be as cutting edge as Sony or MS system. Nintendo will never be able to sell at $100+ loss

If technology advances enough, and doesn't have as high a price to make a graphical difference as it had back in 2006, they won't have to.

If the new Nintendo console is indeed significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and 360, then holy shit I want to see Sony and MS's new consoles specs.

Very curious to see how this will look like.

I'm guessing it'll be significantly larger than the Wii, but not as big as the PS3. Maybe slightly smaller than the 360 Slim?

EDIT:

And it's interesting what it said on IGN how Nintendo is attempting to re-capture the hardcore market.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
http://static.rateyourmusic.com/lk/f/s/a02010765e72aa7f525149c11e01b436/3412783.jpg[/IgMG][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=A.KU.MU][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nB8ud.gif[/IMgG][/QUOTE]

Cheering for something to be slightly more powerful than 6 year old consoles. :|

Hopefully they pump it full with a lot of ram.

What Nintendo needs to do in terms of power is have a system that can not only beat the current console's for the next couple years, but also be able to receive ports from whatever Sony and Microsoft release next gen. If it's coming out this year then the Wii 2 is going to have to be fairly powerful, since there is going to be at least a 2 year gap between them and the other 2 consoles.

This is all good until Sony and MS react to this with new console announcements that dwarf wii 2 and we end up back at square 1. I don't know if I'll ever use a Nintendo console for anything other than Nintendo games anyway so I have a feeling not much will change

Mortrialus said:
If this is true, I hope Nintendo doesn't go pants-on-head-retarded with online like Sony and Microsoft did this generation. Its one of the reasons why I can't stand the PS3 and 360, and why the Wii is my favorite console this generation.

First off, fuck achievements and trophies. There is nothing more distracting and immersion killing in a game than having the sound on the game get drowned out by a stupid fanfare as a huge brick of colors and text I don't give a shit about pops up on the screen for a few seconds. There isn't a single game where achievement do aside from take away from the enjoyment of a game.

Second, downloadable content is a scam and blatant rip off on all but a few rare exceptions.

Third, I don't give a shit about competitive online. The only PS3 game with online functions I've played, where the single player campaign didn't feel like it was bent over a table and raped so the team could focus on the competitive multiplayer was Demon's Souls.

The only good aspect that online has provided consoles with that hasn't resulted in any particularly bad side effects is the online stores allowing for indie developed games to gain a foothold. I don't know why introducing consoles to online has resulted in them digesting it so horribly. I'm not huge on PC gaming, but PC gaming works with online so much better than consoles. Modding communities, MMORPGs, the same indie gaming market. Hell Oblivion is a testament to how much a modding community can add to a game. I'd go as far as to say online has ruined this last console generation.

If Nintendo is going balls deep into Online like Sony and Microsoft, I think I might be done with contemporary console gaming : /

People love achievements and trophies. Adds replay value and lets people brag. If I'm not mistaken, a PS3 developer only awarded a trophy during natural breaks in order to keep the user in the moment.

DLC isn't a scam. It CAN be implemented like one, though. It's very profitable and not going anywhere.

The success of Call of Duty says you are in a minority.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
tuffy said:
This is interesting because the market leader is typically one of the last to bring in new hardware, but 6 years is still a very good run by any console. However, by allowing 3rd parties to "place their bets" now, Nintendo's in a strong position to line up franchises that were sent to other systems by default last time around. I'm sure this console will have something else to differentiate from the 360/PS3 besides HD graphics, but the timing itself is quite shrewd.
We've never had a gen like this though, where two of the major players hemorrhaged money for years. MS and especially Sony probably can't afford to launch something new until 2013-14

Shalashaska said:
Can someone explain to me (if the details are true) why Nintendo is announcing this soon but with an apparently targeted date of late 2012? Seems rather early to announce a new console and have everyone wait and pretty much kill your current sales for that long.

they just dropped the price didn't they? how many more people are going to buy a wii anyways?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Shalashaska said:

My guess is Nintendo this time around is very very sensitive to the fact that the Wii was pretty much left in the dust by most Western and even most Japanese developers. By announcing now and presumably showing the tech to 3rd parties, they are trying to make sure the new system has very robust support right from launch- not Ubisoft 2006 Wii support.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell is going on today; all this gaming news coming out of nowehere.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's way too early, but I can't help getting excited. A new Nintendo excites me much more than the other two, it's not even close. I know it's just rumors and everything, but my god...just image a new Super Mario game on a system that's even more powerful than PS3.

oh man

Zeal

Banned
i see Nintendo is mad at the "this could be a Wii game" jokes.

upgrading the go-kart to a v12 next-gen. hell yeah, baby.

B.K.

I'm really going to miss watching the E3 press conferences live this year. Damn Direct TV. I wish they hadn't dropped G4.

Branduil

Skiesofwonder said:
Vitality Sensor built in. Half Life 3 (Episode 3) PC/Super Wii exclusive.

You heard it here first.
As long as we're fantasizing, a Valve/Nintendo partnership would be pretty cool.

A.KU.MU

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Cheering for something to be slightly more powerful than 6 year old consoles. :|

IGN's article has been updated to say "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom