• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

M74 said:
Of course, we shouldn't overlook the wording of this guy's statement. It blows the "current competition" out of the water with its current chipset. Meaning, the next generation of the current competition could trounce it eventually. He's still comparing N6 to what we have right now, not what we could be looking at prospectively for the next generation.

Jumping in first could either be a great starter for Nintendo or a great opportunity for rivals to out-tech them shortly after.

TheFatOne

Sammy Samusu said:
If this is fake news I'll have to shoot a hoe.

b621de.jpg

Source?

Raide said:
Jumping in first could either be a great starter for Nintendo or a great opportunity for rivals to out-tech them shortly after.
if the tech isn't being used to bruteforce graphics it probably doesn't matter in the first place

Raide said:

Out teching them could very well lead to a PS3 situation, though. In which, you have two overpriced systems and Nintendo just does a price drop and destroys them.
We shall see, though.

It's interesting.

If someone were to show me a Wii game alongside Crysis running full whack on a PC, I'd certainly not say it was only half a generation ahead.

M74 said:
Of course, we shouldn't overlook the wording of this guy's statement. It blows the "current competition" out of the water with its current chipset. Meaning, the next generation of the current competition could trounce it eventually. He's still comparing N6 to what we have right now, not what we could be looking at prospectively for the next generation.

Umm... I'm pretty sure if we were to talk about the PS2 when it was released, it would say it blows the "current competition" out of the water. I mean, what, you're expecting him to compare it to future consoles that don't exist yet?

Raide

Mr. Spinnington said:
if the tech isn't being used to bruteforce graphics it probably doesn't matter in the first place

It does seem that the Wii 2 stuff is all built around Developers and their desire to make awesome looking stuff on a Nintendo console. Classically Nintendo don't bruteforce graphics but, if these rumours are all true, they certainly seem like they are pushing it now.

AceBandage said:
Out teching them could very well lead to a PS3 situation, though. In which, you have two overpriced systems and Nintendo just does a price drop and destroys them.
We shall see, though.

Then MS and Sony do this crazy 180o move and release a lower spec machine at half the price and attempt to out Nintendo Nintendo.

M74

Plinko said:
Well, duh. Why wouldn't they? The new MS and Sony consoles won't hit until late 2012 or 2013 and Nintendo isn't the type of company to throw out a $600 system.
I'm just pointing out that the question is still, ultimately, what's better for gaming? A full generational leap in graphics/performance, or some new Nintendo laboratory experiment? Or more to the point, which one will consumers care more about? And by extension, which one will developers care more about?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
-- edited away due to fakeness of news.

apana

M74 said:
I'm just pointing out that the question is still, ultimately, what's better for gaming? A full generational leap in graphics/performance, or some new Nintendo laboratory experiment? Or more to the point, which one will consumers care more about? And by extension, which one will developers care more about?

Nintendo can still be under the porting umbrella even if the new Microsoft and Sony consoles are a full generation leap.

M74 said:

You know what's best for gaming? Big userbases to buy the games.

pretty exciting news.. I've been out of the loop awhile.. first time reading about this Wii 2 stuff has me excited again!

Day 1 of course :p i've owned every nintendo home console~ can't see that trend ending anytime soon

The screen on the controller sound intriguing.. I'm looking forward to these elite graphics.. Lets hope the new zelda is outa this world graphically! time to make it more RPG and story heavy nintendo!

Another interesting point - specs sheets given out back in 2010, so potentially (assuming the 2012 launch point is correct) ~2 years from third parties becoming aware of Nintendo's plans etc. to launch.

beje

Banned
It probably has already been said after 11k+ replies but according to the last piece of bullshit speculation... autostereoscopic 3D 6" screen?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
M74 said:

It's a good question, but with dev costs skyrocketing I think we might finally be at a point where devs start actually making changes when it comes to budgets. A huge leap forward in technology for PS4 would be great graphically, but are these devs going to want to keep pouring more and more money into resources to make less and less games?

If Nintendo successfully recaptures those gamers who left this past generation, it might be a huge problem for Sony/MS.

Cosmonaut X said:
Another interesting point - specs sheets given out back in 2010, so potentially (assuming the 2012 launch point is correct) ~2 years from third parties becoming aware of Nintendo's plans etc. to launch.

This right here, is a damn good point.
Even if we figure that devs only got kits late last year, they would still be ready with ideas and engines that could run on the specs they were given.

antonz

Not seeing anything even remotely to that quote on the site. Think its time to wave the banhammer on a certain poster if they cant backup their info
2qmdgk4.jpg

Raide said:
It does seem that the Wii 2 stuff is all built around Developers and their desire to make awesome looking stuff on a Nintendo console. Classically Nintendo don't bruteforce graphics but, if these rumours are all true, they certainly seem like they are pushing it now.
devs should have learned to code Wii games if they wanted to make awesome-looking stuff

i've already made my stance clear: rumors are rumors and speculation isn't worth getting serious over. whatever Nintendo is concocting for hardware isn't going to be used to kick the pants off of a next gen graphics contest, that's for sure

AniHawk

Or more to the point, which one will consumers care more about? And by extension, which one will developers care more about?
consumers will care more about the one that gets them the games they want. not being on the strongest system wasn't an issue when stuff like dmc3 and shadow of the colossus hit.

developers will care about the one that brings their design closer to fruition. publishers will care about the one that gets them the most money.

1-D_FTW

Sadist said:
Via David Perry, Escapist Magazine

Where is this from? Do you have a link? David Perry hasn't exactly been a pro-Nintendo guy in his career. I'd be very excited if this could be confirmed as actually him. Although I scatch my head at the "mystery feature."

M74 said:

1.5 is plenty. There's no reason to think MS will even want to go further than that themselves. Between Wii and Kinect, some powerful lessons were learned this gen.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ShockingAlberto said:
That could just be terrible at transcribing, which is unfortunately common in games journalism.

It's more the lack of any links showing where that quote came from.

I was going to post the same. Went to their website and did not find anything at first glance.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cosmonaut X said:

IMO that part of the quote doesn't make much sense.

Why would devs report old info to journos?

And why 'all of a sudden' now, in one rush, to multiple outlets?

I think there was clearly a presentation to third parties very recently, and all the leaks are from the same event or events. Doesn't jive with info people have sat on for the last 9 months or whatever.

(Not to mention, it's a little frustrating that I can't find this quote on their site at all. A search for David Perry on the escapist yields a most recent result from October last year, and their news section for today has nothing on Wii 2.)

Vinci

Danish
devildog820 said:
In my opinion, they tried to differentiate by the motion control gimmick. But, as we learn in MBA school, differentiation must be attained by meeting the base standards of your competition and then doing something else that will wow consumers.

Which business school did you go to out of curiousity? Because product differentiation has nothing to do with meeting some baseline standard. It can, but it's not a necessity within any industry. In fact, the Wii's success in the market is a pretty clear indicator that you're statement is wrong on every conceivable level. Same goes for Cirque du Soleil's success, and a myriad of others'.

gofreak said:
(Not to mention, it's a little frustrating that I can't find this quote on their site at all. A search for David Perry on the escapist yields a most recent result from October last year, and their news section for today has nothing on Wii 2.)

This!

Link to the quote man!

Woffls

Cosmonaut X said:
And this lines up with something that was said earlier about developers having had kits for months, and "2 years" was thrown about a little, so perhaps the implication of that was 2 years of having the kits by launch? That would match up with late 2012, but then we've had reports indicating early 2012 and June 2012 as well, though June 2012 is odd so I'm inclined to ignore that bit.

And yes, where was this quote found, exactly?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sadist said:
Ah goddamn, I got fooled :/

The guy wanted to fuck over some guys, bu the didn't want to inlude me :(

Sorry guys, I'm stupid

oh my. always find a link people.

WillyFive

Opus Angelorum said:
It's interesting.

If someone were to show me a Wii game alongside Crysis running full whack on a PC, I'd certainly not say it was only half a generation ahead.

The idea is not that people want a generation ahead of the Wii, but that they want a generation ahead of the 360.

wsippel

Banned
AceBandage said:
Constant Data streaming to another device would certainly eat up processing power.
I mean, the machine has to render two different displays for two different devices.
It has to render only once, but the stream needs to be compressed in real time, with minimal latency. Quite demanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom