• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting down and making an actual list of essential pop albums from the rock era would be an interesting task.

So many...
I'm too much of a fetus to do that
uBvPP.gif

I have to give Alphabeat some love.
I really liked their album with 10,000 Nights~

Oh, and Fascination is objectively the catchiest song ever made.

They better slay with their new album!

This is only viewable for UK gaffers, but BBC2 has a talking head documentary about boy bands on iplayer (featuring contributions from members of the Four Tops, Jackson 5, 5ive, Busted, Boyzone, East 17, One Direction and JLS)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cytgk/Im_in_a..._Im_in_a_Boy_Band/

The second part which is about girl groups (featuring members of Bananarama, The Bangles, Sister Sledge, The Ronettes, The Supremes, The Spice Girls, All Saints, Girls Aloud, Pussycat Dolls and The Saturdays) airs tomorrow and the third part about solo pop stars is on next week.

This is only viewable for UK gaffers, but BBC2 has a talking head documentary about boy bands on iplayer (featuring contributions from members of the Four Tops, Jackson 5, 5ive, Busted, Boyzone, East 17, One Direction and JLS)

The second part which is about girl groups (featuring members of Bananarama, The Bangles, Sister Sledge, The Ronettes, The Supremes, The Spice Girls, All Saints, Girls Aloud, Pussycat Dolls and The Saturdays) airs tomorrow and the third part about solo pop stars is on next week.
I forgot to make a post about this. It's watchable in the US too on Youtube :)

Delio

I watched all of this a few days ago. Lovely video.

I don't get Marina. Admittedly, I haven't listened to her music all that much but I've seen some interviews and she seemed to have this sort of disdain for mainstream pop music and she said the Electra Heart persona is almost like a caricature of American Pop. Now she's working with Dr. Luke, Diplo, et all to bring it to life, but part of me just wishes she would admit she wants a hit. Nothing wrong with ambition, imo!

SpiffyG

I don't get Marina. Admittedly, I haven't listened to her music all that much but I've seen some interviews and she seemed to have this sort of disdain for mainstream pop music and she said the Electra Heart persona is almost like a caricature of American Pop. Now she's working with Dr. Luke, Diplo, et all to bring it to life, but part of me just wishes she would admit she wants a hit. Nothing wrong with ambition, imo!
Understandably so being that she's so full of contradictions. She does want a hit, and is also *very* ambitious.

"Electra Heart is the antithesis of everything that I stand for. And the point of introducing her and building a whole concept around her is that she stands for the corrupt side of American ideology, and basically that’s the corruption of yourself. My worst fear - that’s anyone’s worst fear - is losing myself and becoming a vacuous person. And that happens a lot when you’re very ambitious."

Also, she DID have a disdain for mainstream pop music, but has since seemed to have changed her mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETJN9_ddTA.

I like her voice, but her music sounds affected to me.

SpiffyG

I like her voice, but her music sounds affected to me.
I think why it may sound affected is because she did little things purposefully on The Family Jewels so it wouldn't sound pop. So maybe her going against her own desires (making pop music) creates a kind of discord. Let me know when Primadonna comes out if that also sounds affected to you, since she's going in a completely different direction this time around.

What's the range you consider to be the rock era? Regardless, this is a task I would gladly collaborate with you on.

I use the term because it's a construction frequently used by Billboard and contemporary music critics, in articles such as this one (forgive me, Katy Perry haters):
"I Kissed a Girl" also becomes the 1,000th No. 1 of the rock era, which began with Bill Haley and His Comet's "Rock Around the Clock" in 1955.

So, I don't know. I'm actually thinking I might want to do this just to see if it can get me to think. There would need to be plenty of restrictions, caveats, and questions, though:
  • I would probably do it by decade (or in five year increments), but how many albums? 3? 5? 10?
  • What the hell does "essential" even mean? Influential? Important? Well-received critically? Amazing sales? How do you measure some of those things?
  • What is pop? Are the Beatles pop? What about the Rolling Stones? Bob Dylan? REM? Radiohead? Outkast? Funk? Disco? R&B? How deep into the electronic dance music scene before we stop calling it pop? What about country/rock crossover acts like Shania Twain or Aerosmith?
  • A way to alleviate some of those problems might be to restrict choices to albums that charted on Billboard, but that also means a ton of wonderful albums get shut out. It also puts an insurmountable burden on most non-US pop acts.
  • In the previous decade (and arguably starting in the late 90s) the meaning of "album" has changed quite a bit. Most modern pop "albums" - even great ones - represent collections of singles rather than an attempt to make a singular musical work. That annoys me for some reason, even though it probably shouldn't.

So yeah. It started off as a silly one-off thought experiment based on that post. But now I'm thinking a lot about it (obviously). I may have to sit down at some point and force myself to hammer out a list of some sort, even if it's riddled with problems.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What the hell does "essential" even mean?

What is pop?

A way to alleviate some of those problems might be to restrict choices to albums that charted on Billboard, but that also means a ton of wonderful albums get shut out. It also puts an insurmountable burden on most non-US pop acts.

Mm, yeah, these are the particularly complicated snags. And, ultimately, as fun as this could be to attempt, it's still just going to come back 'round to the modern queens after a handful of replies, so would it even be worth the trouble?

Mm, yeah, these are the particularly complicated snags. And, ultimately, as fun as this could be to attempt, it's still just going to come back 'round to the modern queens after a handful of replies, so would it even be worth the trouble?

At this point, if I did it, I would do it for myself, just to get it out of my system.

If I minded Pop Diva GAF, I wouldn't have hung around this place as long as I have. Despite my tastes, this place is more fun than the electronic music thread, that's for damn sure.

Koodo

Banned
If you two do that, it will get posted at the top of the OP. Something along the lines of POPGAF Presents: [Special Topic]; and in the future if we end up doing more special features, we can have a neat little archive section at the bottom of the OP with all of them.

Y'all tell me how that sounds.

She's looking like a cross between:

20120303-nf5aqbyetkqpn75wj8ihxtect3.png
Ff92m.jpg

... all she needs is to move to Interscope.
rsnRP.gif

Icicle

Janice still rotund and playing theaters?

Playing theaters? I suppose it's fair to say Janet booked smaller venues for her Up Close and Personal World Tour. Sell-outs are practically guaranteed when she's performing at venues like Radio City Music Hall with as few as 17,000 seats.

And what was originally planned to be just a 35-date tour has turned into this massive, year-long affair with more than 80 shows to date. Janet just announced this week that she will not be a judge on X-Factor because it conflicts with her busy schedule, including resuming said tour in a few months.

Rotund? Not so much. This is from less than 2 weeks ago.

93EED.jpg

Tell me, how are your faves doing?

Madonna's incredibly transparent efforts to stay relevant are laughable. Does she not realize that working with current artists does not make her current by association? First there were Pharrell and Timbaland, now she's brought on Nicki Minaj, MIA, and LMFAO. Just looked at the song's spot on the Billboard Hot 100...and it was nowhere to be found! Take solace in knowing that she's still on the chart this week with #4 Biggest Fall. If she ever tries at an album again, perhaps will be forced to work with Gaga, or worse, hydrangeas.

And your K-Pop faves? In America, they'd be lucky to book a show at a high school rally. If they are so fortunate as to reach that level of success, perhaps they can take some ESL lessons while they're there.

c2jqG.gif

royalan

Playing theaters? I suppose it's fair to say Janet booked smaller venues for her Up Close and Personal World Tour. Sell-outs are practically guaranteed when she's performing at venues like Radio City Music Hall with as few as 17,000 seats.

And what was originally planned to be just a 35-date tour has turned into this massive, year-long affair with more than 80 shows to date. Janet just announced this week that she will not be a judge on X-Factor because it conflicts with her busy schedule, including resuming said tour in a few months.

Rotund? Not so much. This is from less than 2 weeks ago.

93EED.jpg

Tell me, how are your faves doing?

Madonna's incredibly transparent efforts to stay relevant are laughable. Does she not realize that working with current artists does not make her current by association? First there were Pharrell and Timbaland, now she's brought on Nicki Minaj, MIA, and LMFAO. Just looked at the song's spot on the Billboard Hot 100...and it was nowhere to be found! Take solace in knowing that she's still on the chart this week with #4 Biggest Fall. If she ever tries at an album again, perhaps will be forced to work with Gaga or worse, hydrangeas.

And your K-Pop faves? In America, they'd be lucky to book a show at a high school rally. If they are so fortunate as to reach that level of success, perhaps they can take some ESL lessons while they're there.

c2jqG.gif

YASSSS! That was some first-rate stanning for Miss Jackson if you Nasty!

#draggedt #scalpedt #clockedt

This reminds me of that Got 2B Real episode where Janet disintegrates Brandy's wig.

"So should I show you the door or show everyone your scalp?"

I'm just surprised Janice has a career or a record deal at this point, Virgin didn't even bother promoting the 500K selling follow up to Damita WHO? and 20 Y.O. Flop outside the US because it pretty much failed to chart anywhere.

Does anyone even remember the name of Janice's last album?

3623736267_95e2ece644_o.gif

Didn't think so.

After the embarrassing failure of the "Rock Wit U" (LOL) "World" (LOL) Tour, it's hardly unsurprising that her latest tour is "intimate".

Amusingly, the RWU Tour didn't even sell out on opening night (8,941 / 11,074), it was a domino effect after that; Detroit cancelled due to "production problems", Montreal cancelled due to a freak "hospitalisation", Boston, Philadelphia & Greensboro were next on the itinerary and next to be cancelled under the guise of some phantom illness that only seems to affect overweight black women named Janet Jackson.

janet.jpg

After a small break, she came back with new hair and a rescheduled tour. Opening night in Detroit only sold 33% of capacity. Tour was cancelled.

janetp4kwv.jpg

Janice hasn't sold out shit for years. The European leg off the All For You Tour was cancelled due to "terrorism" but managed to fly to Hawaii and Japan just fine...

This is the outcome of a woman whose greatest creative output within the past decade was getting her tit out at a football game.

And there is no need to bring up Madonna, Janice is still taking notes

hartford04.jpg

23ht0nmvukqc.jpg

OH MY GOD >:'(

Kyon

Banned
Why are y'all reading each other on sterile tea? Lmao The Holy Trinity of those times did everything lmao y'all will be throwing receipts forever haha

SpiffyG

She's looking like a cross between:

20120303-nf5aqbyetkqpn75wj8ihxtect3.png
Ff92m.jpg

... all she needs is to move to Interscope.
rsnRP.gif
Lady Gaga + Lana... Is that good? :) I'm sure Interscope will be dying to get their hands on her after Primadonna is released. The label she's with currently can't handle the awesomeness that is Marina.

Why are y'all reading each other on sterile tea? Lmao The Holy Trinity of those times did everything lmao y'all will be throwing receipts forever haha
I need a translation.

Kyon

Banned
Lady Gaga + Lana... Is that good? :) I'm sure Interscope will be dying to get their hands on her after Primadonna is released. The label she's with currently can't handle the awesomeness that is Marina.

I need a translation.
GodGa and The Dalai Lana shall remain unshaded and Unbothered as they have seats behind the golden gates of Pop Heaven
iboTEoMucK1uUq.gif

SpiffyG

GodGa and The Dalai Lana shall remain unshaded and Unbothered as they have seats behind the golden gates of Pop Heaven
iboTEoMucK1uUq.gif
There's no shade being thrown on my end. I didn't really know Koodo's opinion on either one of those ladies so I wasn't sure if in his eyes it was a good comparison. :p
I think it was a reference to lady gaga, who looks like she smells like Swiss cheese.
Yeah, that's what I assumed, I just wanted to mess with him a bit!

catmincer

Love that gif.

I've yet to hear a K-Pop group that wasn't mediocre, and I hear way more K-Pop than I'd like, what with StarCraft streams.

2NE1 are pretty decent. Not typical bubblegum pop. SNSD are over-rated.

Brown eyed girls are pretty awesome too. They can actually sing.

Kyon

Banned
We Kpop/Jpop Stans use basically the same lingo, but the Asian pop fandom has the weaboo vocab list to choose from also lmao it's not really that different at all except the latter is a bit more creepy :X

Mumei

Korean language is overwhelmingly the norm. They just use English phrases here and there because they sound cool.

Davichi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSQFptRWuHY

IU - starts singing at 1:30 or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS_-9alobo

Thanks.

Well, they're obviously not top tier popular music vocal talents, but they're not awful. And certainly better than the 'entire song is completely flat when they aren't lip syncing' K-Pop I've heard before. But I'd still say rather middling overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom