• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
yeah. boobs.

damn gurl.

i loved this shot

tumblr_m0s8u4tbKU1qad9yi

SpiffyG

Yeah, that's a beautiful shot! I can tell the budget was like $20, but it's very stylish.

edit: Everything about it is beautiful. If this isn't massive, there is something really wrong with the world.

Koodo

Banned
Lahv it. She deserves to slay with this song.

And I never seen anyone talk about Shakira, but can we all agree that she's godly? And dayum shake them hips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3-GiVIE8gc&ob=av2e
Godkira is flawless. Have loved her ever since Pies Descalzos. Such a great songwriter, singer, dancer, humanitarian; basically everything the lessors wish they could be.

She was hot in Rabiosa as well.

Mau ®

429033_357494967628122_107203819323906_1130611_1743359572_n.jpg

420299_357495540961398_107203819323906_1130612_2064833304_n.jpg

Rihsus and Drake coming to slay. Again.
cry1.gif

Let's not forget the last time these lovebirds got together on a track, it resulted in What's My Name becoming one of the biggest radio hits of all time
6qjx4w.jpg

Koodo

Banned
I noticed Primadonna follows the same structure as Hold It Against Me. A hard hitting verse, subdued chorus, second verse and chorus add a few more bells and whistles to the beat, and the last chorus merges with the beat of the verses. Only thing missing is a breakdown during the bridge.

Probably why I like Primadonna so much, but I can't help but think less of Dr Luke for being so repetitive.

SpiffyG

Lahv it. She deserves to slay with this song.
I really hope so. She doesn't have the backing of a major label, so we shall see how it goes. :)

That new Marina track is HOT. That is all.
I liked it after hearing it on the radio cuz it was catchy, but after watching the video and hearing more crisp audio, all the intricacies of the production start jumping out, and I fell in love.

I noticed Primadonna follows the same structure as Hold It Against Me. A hard hitting verse, subdued chorus, second verse and chorus add a few more bells and whistles to the beat, and the last chorus merges with the beat of the verses. Only thing missing is a breakdown during the bridge.

Probably why I like Primadonna so much, but I can't help but think less of Dr Luke for being so repetitive.
You're right! But yeah, like CrumpTrump said... It's Dr. Luke. He's not exactly an avant garde producer. On the surface, he seems to play it safe, but he knows what he's doing. I wonder what Diplo contributed to this song?

New Miike Snow album 'Happy to You' is out today!
I loved his first album, but I really didn't like "Paddling Out", so all hype for his second LP has vanished for me. Are there any other songs from that album that you'd recommend I listen to?

h1nch

I loved his first album, but I really didn't like "Paddling Out", so all hype for his second LP has vanished for me. Are there any other songs from that album that you'd recommend I listen to?

My 2 fav songs so far are 'Pretender' and 'The Wave'

Video for 'The Wave': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdyXjEYwyUI

The album is really different from their self-titled debut album. Much less dance-oriented, but I like what they've done. A lot of the songs feature marching band percussion for instance.

royalan

I kinda like that new Marina track. I just can't figure her out...her voice seems to transition between La Roux, Katy Perry, and Bjork. Throws me off.

SpiffyG

My 2 fav songs so far are 'Pretender' and 'The Wave'

Video for 'The Wave': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdyXjEYwyUI

The album is really different from their self-titled debut album. Much less dance-oriented, but I like what they've done. A lot of the songs feature marching band percussion for instance.
This is definitely better. Miike Snow is back on my radar.

I kinda like that new Marina track. I just can't figure her out...her voice seems to transition between La Roux, Katy Perry, and Bjork. Throws me off.
What are you trying to figure out? She has a pretty large range, and is able to hit some really interesting notes. Please don't mention Katy Perry and Marina in the same thought, please please please. LOL. But really, I don't see the comparisons. Maybe cuz I've listened to her so much that she just sounds like Marina to me. Her voice is so idiosyncratic that it's difficult to compare.
Björk? That's odd, I can understand what Marina is saying.

Her voice actually sounds very La Rouxy during the live performance.
That's the most horrible quality recording you could find. Here's a decent quality recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfuOSU8g-bw

Mumei

What are you trying to figure out? She has a pretty large range, and is able to hit some really interesting notes. Please don't mention Katy Perry and Marina in the same thought, please please please. LOL. But really, I don't see the comparisons. Maybe cuz I've listened to her so much that she just sounds like Marina to me. Her voice is so idiosyncratic that it's difficult to compare.

My first time listening to her, but there was something about Primadonna that sounded Katy Perry-ish; I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean something about the basic tone of her voice and the way she pronounced words sometimes (particularly towards the end of the video).

Though I don't know if I would have made that connection if royalan hadn't primed me to look for it.

Either way I enjoyed the song. Other recommendations?

SpiffyG

My first time listening to her, but there was something about Primadonna that sounded Katy Perry-ish; I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean something about the basic tone of her voice and the way she pronounced words sometimes (particularly towards the end of the video).

Though I don't know if I would have made that connection if royalan hadn't primed me to look for it.

Either way I enjoyed the song. Other recommendations?
I'm really glad you guys are enjoying the song! Listening to it again, I can hear the notes where she might resemble Katy Perry. It's the lower, rawer sounding notes, right? But then Marina actually hits the high notes and you're like "That's definitely not Katy." haha

Yeah, I definitely get a bit of a Katy P vibe from it, especially considering the overall sound of the song. It's super super unlike anything from her first album.

Here are some other songs

Shampain
Oh No!
Guilty
Hermit the Frog

Hermit the Frog and Guilty are probably my favorites :)
I wouldn't say it's super super unlike anything from her first album. It's not that much different from, say, Shampain or Oh No!. Even though it does sound more pop, less vocal shenanigans, and a more electronic sound, the lyrics are still clearly Marina and I still feel Marina throughout the whole song.

And I find it hard to recommend Marina songs to people because I've noticed that everyone's fave from her is something different. Some people love Shampain and some people think it's the worst on her first album. Same with Guilty, Obsessions, Hollywood, and Girls.

What I would recommend for Mumei is Part 1, 2 and 3 of this Electra Heart saga. Since Primadonna is Part 4, and watching the first 3 parts kinda explains where she is going. Also, she will be releasing Part 5: Su-Barbie-A very soon. Part 3 and Part 5 won't be on the album, but she said, for the fans who want to, they can create their own "director's cut".

Part 1: Fear and Loathing (Transformation)
Part 2: Radioactive (Buzz single)
Part 3: The Archetypes (Not an album track)

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm hyped for Electra Heart, but so far I'm pretty confident that The Family Jewels-era Marina will still be better.

I really like her voice here. This is such a great song. Seventeen.

Oh, one other artist to talk about today, Chantal Claret! She was the lead singer of Morningwood, and now that they're done, she's doing her own thing, and she's got a great sound.

Here's Bite Your Tongue and Pop Pop Bang Bang.

Her EP comes out in mid-May, and an LP is out in June. I really love her, and I got the chance to meet her on Sunday after Morningwood's last show, and she is seriously one of the sweetest/coolest people ever :D I'm excited to hear more from her!

Kyon

Banned
Ok so I watched the Primadonna video. Does anyone else hear Kunty Perra in her voice? ....... I can't unhear. Still flaw free. Kyon has mounted the Bandwagon

SpiffyG

I'm hyped for Electra Heart, but so far I'm pretty confident that The Family Jewels-era Marina will still be better.

I really like her voice here. This is such a great song. Seventeen.

Oh, one other artist to talk about today, Chantal Claret! She was the lead singer of Morningwood, and now that they're done, she's doing her own thing, and she's got a great sound.

Here's Bite Your Tongue and Pop Pop Bang Bang.

Her EP comes out in mid-May, and an LP is out in June. I really love her, and I got the chance to meet her on Sunday after Morningwood's last show, and she is seriously one of the sweetest/coolest people ever :D I'm excited to hear more from her!
I don't know. It's hard to say at this point. The full Fear & Loathing in HQ is going to sound amazing. And I've always loved Living Dead so much... It's actually possibly my favorite song by her. And most people will throw up after hearing her voice in Seventeen. I love it, but most will hate hate hate it. lol

Oh, and about Chantal Claret, my predominant thought about that video was boobs, again. Fun songs, though!

Ok so I watched the Primadonna video. Does anyone else hear Kunty Perra in her voice? ....... I can't unhear. Still flaw free. Kyon has mounted the Bandwagon
I can't unhear it either. I hate you all for mentioning it. :(

I guess the "Katy Perry with a larger emotive pallete" might just stick. >_>

Oh my, all you guys loving the song is a great sign for her possible future success! Go Marina! :)

SpiffyG

I really like all three of these + Primadonna. Looking forward to the album.
Album of the year. I'm calling it now. Oh, and out of those three songs, only 1 will be on the standard edition of the album, Fear & Loathing. Radioactive is a bonus track on the deluxe edition. And Part 3 will not be included on either.

The title track is entitled "Bubblegum Bitch". I can't wait to hear that one.

Delio

...why is that one nondescript boy-bander grabbing a handful of that other nondescript boy-bander's breasts?

Cause they wuv each other. Btw there was a big crowd at the Frisco mall for the CD. The first 2000 people to buy it would get a bracelet that allowed them to meet the band. The line was well over 2000 people haha.

Delio

The Gossip are sounding fab on their new Xenomania-produced single "Perfect World"

This was you holding the "1D GET NAKED!" sign on the Today Show yesterday, wasn't it.

CM9gl.jpg

Nope. Mine would say "NIALL SHOW ME YOUR ASS". Although there was a similar mob at the Frisco mall here. People have been talking about it on the news all day. The place was PACKED with girls,guys and parents grabbing the CD.

Lear

Did anyone catch Smash last night? Ivy covered Floppie J's Who You Are and she killed it, completely obliterated the original.

I haven't watched Smash since the third episode (I'm way too busy) but I just listened to this and it's amazing. Megan Hilty is a flaw-free diva. I hope they don't pull some bullshit where she loses out on the part in the end to Katherine McPhee.

Youtube led me to Katherine McPhee covering Shake It Out, and it is not cute. It doesn't sound like she's finishing the syllables properly, so it sounds likes she's singing after just being punched in the mouth. Unless that actually happened. Please tell me Megan Hilty smacked a bitch for trying to steal the spotlight. It's a weirdly affected way of trying to sing like Florence, but Katherine McPhee is no Flo.

The new Marina single is giving me life, I can't handle it. Hope she does well with it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/HdZ6B.jpg[img]

The 32 most recent songs to top the Hot 100 are facing off! [URL="http://www.billboard.com/features/hot-100-march-madness-1006444152.story#/features/hot-100-march-madness-1006444152.story"]Vote for your fave.[/URL]

The amount of blue wigs is sickening.[/QUOTE]

I see one from B. Spears, 1 from CaCa, and none from Bey. But I do see 5 from Queen Rih and they're from 3 different albums.

#Rihannareign

The best on that list is clearly 'What's my name?'

Mumei

I started working on these for Whitney and Mariah last month, about a week before Whitney passed away. They've both been expanded quite a bit since I first made them. It's basically a collection of some of their best studio / live notes. I posted less complete versions elsewhere. I wasn't *planning* on posting them here, though I shared them with a couple people in PMs and it was suggested that I post them here. So, might as well. I've had to replace a couple due to videos being taken down, so do tell if anything is broken.

And for the uninitiated, higher numbers means higher notes (how complicated) and it goes C-D-E-F-G-A-B; "#" is an approximation of the sharp symbol and "b" is an approximation of the flat symbol.

Here's the Whitney one to start; I'll post Mariah later.

Whitney Houston
ibs7yXidhb2e9y.gif

Videos
High Notes (Head Voice / Falsetto):

Mid / High Notes (Modal):
Low Notes:
Your faves could never.

ibcqiYlfT2Bnyt.gif

Delio

So I thought I'd give a nice song by song breakdown of my dear One direction's Debut album Up All Night. Stan TIMEZ
One_direction_up_all_night_albumcover.jpg

What Makes you Beautiful - The first single and it's really a solid song. Good dance song and very "radio" friendly.

Gotta be you - First slow song on the album. I can say I don't really listen to this one much out of the "slow" songs they have. One of the weaker tracks in my mind haha.

One Thing - LOVE this song (Niall's solo is way to short) Another fun song that I can listen to constantly haha.

More than this - Now I LOVE this slow song. They all get a part to sing and I think they blend really well during the chorus.

Up All Night - The track that graces the cover. I really enjoy it and It's another fun "Hey let's go dance!" song. (There are a TON of these.) I will say WMYB could have graced the cover over this but eh both are good.

I Wish - Another nice song. The boys vocals blend together really well here. really solid and a bit slower after Up All Night.

Tell Me A Lie - A certain woman made this song for the group (Dat Kelly Barkson). Nah It is a good song. Kelly is rolling in the dough from this one.

Taken - Eh a weak song for me. I really don't get all hyped from this one. Feels really filler haha.

I Want - I REALLY feel mixed on this one. At point I loveee it then I can turn around and just skip it when I listen to it. One of those songs that will depend on the person.

Everything about you - I LOVE this one. That is ALL (So much bias for this song)

Same Mistakes - Something about this one hits home for me. Probably because of what just happened with me and my BF. I can't help but like this one.

Save You Tonight - Out of the last two songs on the regular edition this one is the weaker one. Another dance song of course but just not feeling it for some reason. The vocals are fine but the music bothers me.

Stole My Heart - *SCREAMS* I ADORE this song so much. I dance whenever this one comes on and listen to it so many times haha. Only complaint Is the break in the middle that just Is like "What?".

BONUS TRACKS!!!

Stand Up - Hit and miss with me honestly. It wouldn't have really fit on the main list at all.

Moments - Another slow song I totally adore. It makes my heart melt when I hear it.

All and All I really love the album. Course I have heard It all before but never gave a proper "Stan" post about it. A nice diverse selection of songs for almost anyone. Of course they sing about love In almost every one but they wouldn't be a boyband without the love right?

In related news!
This week, look for Syco/Columbia X Factor U.K. finalists One Direction to challenge Adele for the top spot on next week’s charts with their stateside debut, Up All Night, based on one-day sales reports from those retailers not selling albums for 25 cents. The deluxe edition of the album has already topped the iTunes chart in the U.S. and Canada.

The upfront excitement has probably inflated the initial sales figures, which at this point are looking to be between 190-210k, which will set up a battle with Adele for #1. Taking america by STORM.

tumblr_lxqvzynhmu1r75l6po1_500.gif

EYEL1NER

Wow, 'Primadonna' is amazing. Every now and then I check the net to see if she has any new singles or anything and what do you know? I check today and something just got released in the past week. Can't wait for the album. I haven't bought a CD the day it came out since I don't know when, but this will be mine.

Kind of upset though. I keep signing up for the newsletter on her site with my email for the acoustic version of 'Radioactive' and it keeps sending me a link to get 'Homewrecker.' I want that acoustic song, damnit! And like any of her songs, I enjoy 'Homewrecker' a lot. But all it's doing right now is making me want to drive an hour to Moe's and get a Homewrecker burrito.

I came to GAF and searched for her to see if there was a thread created for 'Primadonna' leaking/releasing. I kind of want to create a thread for the album when it drops (unless someone else has called it or if everyone thinks it's a dumb idea). She's my favorite pop artist and I don't want her to remain only in the Pop thread. Like any group on here, PopGAF can be a bit hard to get into. Every now and then I try to join in on the music show threads, like American Idol, but it always seems like the talk is about "stans" and what dude is the hottest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom