• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Launch Date announced: August 28th, 2012

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Eww. Apologies to fans of the first game, but I don't think it has aged well at all! Linking my account will give me 3 points, so I only need 3 more for the heritage gear. Should I just burn through all the campaigns ASAP to get these?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eww. Apologies to fans of the first game, but I don't think it has aged well at all! Linking my account will give me 3 points, so I only need 3 more for the heritage gear. Should I just burn through all the campaigns ASAP to get these?
It absolutely has not aged well. Graphically it has a decent average with some very nice highs and terrible lows, but after having experienced GW2 the gameplay mechanics they've excised realllllllly do not feel good slogging through them again.

Retro

Reminder for the new page, Meet and Greet is TONIGHT, suckas!

GAFGuild Mumble Meet & Greet Events

Here's another opportunity for everyone to hop on Mumble and get to know their future guildmates before launch. Even if you don't have a microphone, you can still participate since Mumble has a chat window. If you don't want to speak up, that's fine too; talking is not mandatory and you're welcome to just log in and listen (keep the creepy stalker breathing to a minimum though).

The first event will be held TONIGHT at 10PM Eastern (7PM Pacific, 2am GMT) and run until people leave. This is an hour later than the previous event since a few people on the West Coast were getting home from work and not having time to have dinner or relax.

The second event will be our Mega-Awesome Pre-Launch Super-Countdown Festival of Hype, and will begin on Friday, August 25th at Midnight (9PM on the 24th Pacific, 4am GMT) and run for 3 hours. At this point, the game launches and everyone officially has license to freak out. This event is strictly B.Y.O.K (Bring Your Own Kool-Aid). Please note that ArenaNet has stated they may start the game up to 3 hours early, so you might as well get on mumble and spam the Login button with the rest of us.

Mumble Info:
(Quote post for info)

SScorpio

I do wonder how they're going to manage these install CDs since you've had access all along unless the people who got digital copies are going to get a new final key.

From the official FAQ:

Guildwars2.com said:
When Guild Wars 2 launches, customers will need to return to the retailer with proof of purchase in order to receive the full Standard Edition box and the retail serial code. They'll need to apply this retail serial code to their Guild Wars 2 account within five days of launch to continue playing without interruption.

LkPr

Is there a way to see if I have ever set up an account in GW1 if I don't have the game? I remember when it was first released my friend got it and I remember playing it for awhile, not long, maybe a couple weeks. I never purchased the game so I don't know if I had a trial or what but I'm interested to see if I ever set up an account.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
It absolutely has not aged well. Graphically it has a decent average with some very nice highs and terrible lows, but after having experienced GW2 the gameplay mechanics they've excised realllllllly do not feel good slogging through them again.

I started with Nightfall this time and it just feels like a slog, as you said. Time to dig through what will get me these last three points.

The sequel has spoiled me in how awesome it is.

mik83kuu

Banned
This wait is killing me. I have started to take naps during day time not to feel so fucking bored. Of course it's not GW2's fault that I don't have anything to play right now, but fucking hell :-(

I started with Nightfall this time and it just feels like a slog, as you said. Time to dig through what will get me these last three points.

The sequel has spoiled me in how awesome it is.
If you're only looking for 3 more, here's some fairly quick easy points:

- Make a Ranger PvP character, go to the Zaishen Menagerie with that character, release your given-to-you-free-of-charge lv 20 wolf with the NPC there. Come back as your PvE character with ranger profession as your main or secondary, go to NPC in the little corral area, have her spawn highest level of that wolf and then tame the wolf. Bring already max leveled pet to HoM and dedicate. This is about the easiest point you will earn.

- Trade for a mini in EotN, they cost about 3-6k right now on the uncommon (white quality) level.

- If you've made it to the actual HoM location, you should already have 3 heroes from EotN, so you can trade for a Cloth of the Brotherhood, which should be around 4-6k. If you haven't played through the campaign (and you don't want to as it takes a little while) to get to the Central Transfer Chamber where you exchange for the hero armor, ask around in trade for someone that you can tag along with on the "Destruction's Depths" mission and at the end of that you will be at the Central Transfer Chamber and can suit up one of your heroes and go back and dedicate for another easy point.

Those are about the easiest 3 I can think of that requires very little cash. There might be some easier ones with Nightfall that I don't know of because I don't have that campaign, but the ones listed here will definitely be among the easiest.

zulfate

I was listening to the instance podcast and dills said that anet will have a pay to win store model...which i call bullshit were the fuck did this guy get his info? He even said that anet says its true....am i going crazy is anet having a pay to win did i miss read something? I feel like punching dills lol.

So I can get MOX for a point, and a maxed out ranger companion too. So there's one more I need to figure out.
MOX is a super easy one, yeah, but you need to have all 3 campaigns on your account to get that hero. I didn't, just have factions, so started with the 3 I listed in my last reply.

Ferrio

Banned
I was listening to the instance podcast and dills said that anet will have a pay to win store model...which i call bullshit were the fuck did this guy get his info? He even said that anet says its true....am i going crazy is anet having a pay to win did i miss read something? I feel like punching dills lol.

There are items that give people advantages, or least make their life easier. Whether you consider that pay to win is really your own opinion. I could easily see where they're coming from.

BrettWeir

There goes any credibility for that podcast. Apparently, they aren't aware that gems can be bought with in-game gold.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
MOX is a super easy one, yeah, but you need to have all 3 campaigns on your account to get that hero. I didn't, just have factions, so started with the 3 I listed in my last reply.

Crap I missed your reply!

I bought all three and EOTN years ago. Never finished them, and I really ought to. If I can blitz through Factions that'll get me another two, so I don't have to go ranger.

Jira

Not really a lot things considered.... Age of Conan sold that much and god knows it didn't deserve it.

AoC sold 1 million in its first month across all distribution platforms. GW2 has sold 1-1.3 million from GW2.com alone prior to release. That's a very big difference.

etiolate

Banned

I still like Nightfall and EotN. Prophecies and the ilk haven't aged well. There is far more of a link in design philosophy between Nightfall/EotN and GW2 than there is the original two and GW2.

GrizzNKev

Banned
What is this?!?! A GrizzNKev makes an appearance?!

Hi

I spent the last month+ sorting out the future of my life. Dropping out of school, getting accepted to a new school, and planning out moving to the opposite corner of the country and leaving behind everyone in my life because I feel like I needed it.
I'm going to miss the head start because I have to ship my computer out before the weekend and my flight to Seattle is the 27th. fist-shaking at moving etc. At least I can finally say goodbye to Florida. Everything is pretty much done aside from packing so I'm here.

Really though I'm so burned out on talking about this game, I just want to play it already.

From the official FAQ:

Originally Posted by Guildwars2.com:
When Guild Wars 2 launches, customers will need to return to the retailer with proof of purchase in order to receive the full Standard Edition box and the retail serial code. They'll need to apply this retail serial code to their Guild Wars 2 account within five days of launch to continue playing without interruption.

ok that makes more sense because I have only pre-ordered a physical copy and nothing has been charged to my CC yet.

zulfate

There are items that give people advantages, or least make their life easier. Whether you consider that pay to win is really your own opinion. I could easily see where they're coming from.
Dills said gear not xp boosts..he said you can comeback months from now and just buy gear to catch up.

There goes any credibility for that podcast. Apparently, they aren't aware that gems can be bought with in-game gold.

I dont play wow anymore but i still listen to them. There not the only ones that say shit like this for guild wars 2 there seems to be a alot of missinformation for this game.

Crap I missed your reply!

I bought all three and EOTN years ago. Never finished them, and I really ought to. If I can blitz through Factions that'll get me another two, so I don't have to go ranger.
I was told that Factions is the easiest campaign to complete, so that's why I only bought that, and I think whoever told me that was right. Far fewer missions.

Jira

Dills said gear not xp boosts..he said you can comeback months from now and just buy gear to catch up.

I dont play wow anymore but i still listen to them. There not the only ones that say shit like this for guild wars 2 there seems to be a alot of missinformation for this game.

Why do you think I made my massive thread? :p

etiolate

Banned
Never heard of the instance podcast, but the most enjoyable guild wars podcast is LincolnCast. I don't even like giantbomb, but the lincolncast does two things other casts don't do enough: be relaxed enough to go off topic if its entertaining, and be critical by offering different viewpoints.

The podcast is NSFW and all that btw, but it's enjoyable for myself because I already know way too much about the game and would rather be entertained than hear what I already know and already think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How? How could you possibly see where they're coming from?

You cannot pay to win. How can that be conflated with "pay to win"?

Yeah well I don't know what else to tell you other than that that's fucking nonsense. There's nothing that even provides a modest statistical advantage in the cash shop from what I've seen- things you can buy include time savers in terms of XP gain, party bonuses, administrative stuff like character slots and storage space, and silly/cosmetic things (transmutation stones included).

And of course none of it matters one iota for PvP.

And of course gold can be converted to gems, meaning nothing that can be obtained in the cash shop is unobtainable with pure gold if you're really that dedicated to getting a top hat or whatever.

Wtf...

edit: Come on, Ferrio. Would you kindly point out what there is you can purchase that even gives you an advantage, let alone puts you within a city block of "paying to win"?

The Revive Orb is the only item I see that is even remotely close, and let's keep the phrases "slowly" and "cannot be used in WvW or PvP" in mind please...

Ferrio

Banned

Yeah well I don't know what else to tell you other than that that's fucking nonsense. There's nothing that even provides a modest statistical advantage in the cash shop from what I've seen- things you can buy include time savers in terms of XP gain, party bonuses, administrative stuff like character slots and storage space, and silly/cosmetic things (transmutation stones included).

And of course gold can be converted to gems, meaning nothing that can be obtained in the cash shop is unobtainable with pure gold if you're really that dedicated to getting a top hat or whatever.

Wtf...

edit: Come on, Ferrio. Would you kindly point out what there is you can purchase that even gives you an advantage, let alone puts you within a city block of "paying to win"?

The Revive Orb is the only item I see that is even remotely close, and let's keep the phrases "slowly" and "cannot be used in WvW or PvP" in mind please...

It's all in the interpretation. Some people think ANY advantage no meaning how small is paying to win. Whether you believe that or not is opinion.. you can't argue over it.

I see the XP boosts as a BURDEN, not a help, to playing this game. It makes you speed up your efforts to advance and rushing through things is actually a hindrance in this game. Literally stopping and smelling the roses (by harvesting them!) gets you more XP as you go along than trying to keep up your XP kill streak from your gem-bought booster item.

The biggest hurdle this game has is teaching people how to play and thus enjoy it properly.

Jira

Yeah well I don't know what else to tell you other than that that's fucking nonsense. There's nothing that even provides a modest statistical advantage in the cash shop from what I've seen- things you can buy time savers in terms of XP gain, party bonuses, administrative stuff like character slots and storage space, and silly/cosmetic things (transmutation stones included).

Wtf...

I think the biggest point to make is that yeah there's an xp booster for mob kills or crafting boosts and such, but all this does is allow you to save time. It's not like you HAVE to buy any of it at all because you can still do anything and everything without any of it at all.

What I expect (or at least hope) is for Anet to put out some sort of Dress Rehearsal Stress Test this week sometime - emulate all conditions for launch. Yes, that means HoM access. It means our beta characters being deleted. Basically, every condition as equal to launch conditions as possible. That even means /dance, if there even is a /dance at this point.

Deitus

You are right when you say there is a lot of misinformation about this game, especially coming from fans of other MMOs. I'm not one to assume malice when ignorance is just as likely, so I doubt most of them are intentionally lying.

In most cases, its more likely that they are trying to apply what they've heard about the game to WoW (or their MMO of choice) and seeing how badly that would work in their game. If you could buy gold or high level items in WoW (and you can, just not without violating the TOS), it would allow a bad player to perform well above their skill level. There are limits to how far that advantage would get you, but it would definitely be an advantage.

That's not how it works in Guild Wars 2. Even though you can buy gold, and use it to buy good gear, this isn't really a huge advantage. The way gear plateaus in this game, you could spend $100 decking out your character in the top of the line gear, and then you would have... the same thing as everyone else at your level. At best, you would be more likely to have multiple sets of gear for different specs. And on top of that, the more active combat system in this game tends to make skill take precedence over stat differentials most of the time. I can see a scenario where a player might buy gold to same them the time of farming in game, but I can't think of any situation where doing so will provide a significant advantage over other players.

It's all in the interpretation. Some people think ANY advantage no meaning how small is paying to win. Whether you believe that or not is opinion.. you can't argue over it.

And there are some who argue that buying purely aesthetic items is pay to win, because looking cool is one way that people can win a game. But these people are seriously stretching the meaning of "pay to win" far beyond what any reasonable person would think.

Proven

I see the XP boosts as a BURDEN, not a help, to playing this game. It makes you speed up your efforts to advance and rushing through things is actually a hindrance in this game. Literally stopping and smelling the roses (by harvesting them!) gets you more XP as you go along than trying to keep up your XP kill streak from your gem-bought booster item.

The biggest hurdle this game has is teaching people how to play and thus enjoy it properly.

The funny part about this is that just skimming it reminded me of why I stay away from subscription models. You have to work to make sure you get your money's worth.

Absinthe

I'm going to miss the head start because I have to ship my computer out before the weekend and my flight to Seattle is the 27th. fist-shaking at moving etc. At least I can finally say goodbye to Florida. Everything is pretty much done aside from packing so I'm here.

Welcome to Seattle! Great state to live in, and the summers are far more tolerable than Florida. GL on your move and new school/job etc..

DarkSloth

Maybe, but I think you just need to be smart about it. Don't activate the xp boost when you're just cruising the fields. Activate it when you're about to enter a pretty good dynamic event chain with a lot of killing. You might get your moneys worth there.

Coolwhip

Banned
AoC sold 1 million in its first month across all distribution platforms. GW2 has sold 1-1.3 million from GW2.com alone prior to release. That's a very big difference.

GW2 is the first big MMO that claims to do things very different aswell. Which should pique the interest of many people. I pre-purchased without being really sure what to expect. For me the big question will be if I will stay interested after reaching level 80.

Jack_AG

Banned

"Pay to Win" refers to paying for some type of statistical advantage over your opponent (usually gear, enhancements, etc). You can claim that it is open to interpretation but it's really not, noting the general acceptance of the statement and how it is always used.

Unless, of course, you perceive a Chef's outfit and Aviator sunglasses to provide some type of clear tactical advantage in combat, in which case, you must tell me how because I will be exploiting the hell out of that outfit if true.

"Pay to Win" refers to paying for some type of statistical advantage over your opponent (usually gear, enhancements, etc). You can claim that it is open to interpretation but it's really not, noting the general acceptance of the statement and how it is always used.

Unless, of course, you perceive a Chef's outfit and Aviator sunglasses to provide some type of clear tactical advantage in combat, in which case, you must tell me how because I will be exploiting the hell out of that outfit if true.

The complaint is in the boosts, but they fail to realize that:

1) Being max level doesn't have as clear of an advantage as other MMOs.
2) Anyone can buy the boosts with in-game gold. This makes things like karma boosts, probably used only at end-game, very viable to buy with gold because the player will have a lot of in-game disposable income at that point.

Deitus

The complaint is in the boosts, but they fail to realize that:

1) Being max level doesn't have as clear of an advantage as other MMOs.
2) Anyone can buy the boosts with in-game gold. This makes things like karma boosts, probably used only at end-game, very viable to buy with gold because the player will have a lot of in-game disposable income at that point.

Also, there are apparently foods made with cooking that can offer exp boosts as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar buffs for Karma and crafting from other foods.

But more importantly, leveling isn't that hard in the game that anyone should feel obligated to pay more to level faster. There will likely be people at the level cap by the end of the first week. Sure, someone will be the first person to hit that cap, and he might do so using exp boosts, but who cares? The people who didn't buy the exp boosts will hit the level cap a day later at most.

If anything, the people who are getting screwed on this proposition are the people willing to pay anything for a tiny advantage. They are going to shell out tons of money, and not get any real benefit in return. People who fear that it will be necessary to purchase things in order to keep up or to remain competitive have nothing to worry about.

zulfate

agree with you all on the gem shop, it has nothing of real use in this game. i cant believe there are people out there like in the instance with thousands of listeners saying shit that is a straight out lie and then say that ANET said it was true.... like wtf!

If we all pitch in we can buy gems that will help us PWN (kids still say that?) in WvWvW.

I'm buying insta-jib gems 3 days before launch. In fact, I bought a Launch Gem of 2 Days Before Noobz which gives me access on the 23rd.

I'm gonna' get on GW for old times' sake, if anyone wants to play a bit. I'm 50/50 so I'll pretty much just help with whatever you need help with. Quote me to see my in-game name.

Top Bottom