• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

Mario007

Will we see the announcements on the 20th or the 21st? Both are business days of TGS. I'm getting antsy. I just want to know what's going to be out there and what the price is going to be so I can make an appropriate purchasing decision to replace my launch 60gb.

It'll announced at a Sony TGS conference a day before the door opens to the general public at 5pm BST

It'll announced at a Sony TGS conference a day before the door opens to the general public at 5pm BST
I'm interested in how they announce it also. As I said before, this is Sony a Japanese company with a new Japanese President and Sony Stock was a few weeks ago at one of it's lowest points. They have also been kicked in the ass by a earthquake (collectively) and need good news. All the software is in place to support the New and Improved PSN, will they announce both PS3 4K chassis that displays 4K video using PS3 firmware 4.XX and PSN at the same time?

I think where I'm holding up is that I can buy, today, a 160gb slim for about £150 from a North American shop. Which is all I really need. But I'm not necessarily convinced that anything that's going to be announced will match that value for money, so I'm very hesitant about this announcement. What I might end up doing is buy the damn thing at the current deal (expires on the 16th) and hold onto my receipt for dear life so I can return it after this announcement. It's basically only 4 days difference between last day of purchase and potential announcement.

Also, this new console looks really ugly. To say the least.

Cornbread78

All the bundled 360s at Wal-mart just got a $50 price drop, so hopefully Sony follows suit with the new models and drops the price to compete with the 360.

Are we looking at model prices like below:
16GB: $199
250: $249
500: $299

Would like them to have:
16GB: 149
160: 199
250: 249
500: 299

Mario007

I'm interested in how they announce it also. As I said before, this is Sony a Japanese company with a new Japanese President and Sony Stock was a few weeks ago at one of it's lowest points. They have also been kicked in the ass by a earthquake (collectively) and need good news. All the software is in place to support the New and Improved PSN, will they announce both PS3 4K chassis that displays 4K video using PS3 firmware 4.XX and PSN at the same time?

I think it'll be announced at the end, along with a Move price drop, PSP Street availibity in Japan and Wonderbook pricing (I'd presume it'll be Hirai or House doing it). The conference itself should be Vita focused though, as SCEJ actually said they'll be focusing on the Vita at the TGS.

coldfoot

Banned
That's the best guess but not confirmed yet.....we are hoping this is the case and making arguments for it.

1) A removable 16 gb SSD drive is just about as expensive as a cheap 130 gig Hard Disk.
You can get a 16GB usb stick for $10 retail. swap usb interface with sata interface, and AT MOST you're looking at $15. I doubt you can get any mechanical HDD for less than $35.

M.D

A bit unrelated but I'm really wondering
Did something happen while I wasn't looking?

Sony Corporation (SNE)
-NYSE

13.55 Up 1.05(8.40%)

Sony Corp
6758:JP
983 JPY 33 3.47%

Mario007

I thought all stocks went up because of the US stimulus thing?

Sony's have been going up for a few days now. We were speculating on whether this was iPhone5 related but it doesn't seem like it. So it can only really be 3 things:
1. Sony's new camera range that was recently announced is installing confidence from the investors (as it should, really)
2. Xperia T and Xperia Tablet having been selling more units than expected (as they should)
3. People in the industry know that ps3 Mini model is coming and what it offers is so exciting that it installs belief from the investors (as it should)

Or maybe all of them combined.

So imma lil out of the loop here. I tough that this would be revealed at Gamescom but that didn't happen. Can we expect this to make an appearance at TGS? Or is there a chance it will be 2013?

Mario007

So imma lil out of the loop here. I tough that this would be revealed at Gamescom but that didn't happen. Can we expect this to make an appearance at TGS? Or is there a chance it will be 2013?

Yup, the stock levels of the current model were too high when GC was around. Apparently retailers are already starting to stock the new models in Germany and Scandinavia.

It was initially thought to be revealed at GC, but around a month before, there was a rumor saying TGS would be the actual reveal time frame.

All the bundled 360s at Wal-mart just got a $50 price drop, so hopefully Sony follows suit with the new models and drops the price to compete with the 360.

Are we looking at model prices like below:
16GB: $199
250: $249
500: $299

Would like them to have:
16GB: 149
160: 199
250: 249
500: 299

Rumor has it it'll be:

16GB: 169 or 179
250GB: 199
500GB: 289
160GB and 320GB models phased out.

sajj316

I want it now! Slim is acting up and powering down on me after a couple hours of usage. I guess I can get it fixed but rather spend the money on a new PS3 Super Slim.

MrSlippery519

Neo Member
I want it now! Slim is acting up and powering down on me after a couple hours of usage. I guess I can get it fixed but rather spend the money on a new PS3 Super Slim.

I hear ya...my 80GB just died a few weeks ago. Announcement or not I am getting a new system by the end of the month.

Sony's have been going up for a few days now. We were speculating on whether this was iPhone5 related but it doesn't seem like it. So it can only really be 3 things:
1. Sony's new camera range that was recently announced is installing confidence from the investors (as it should, really)
2. Xperia T and Xperia Tablet having been selling more units than expected (as they should)
3. People in the industry know that ps3 Mini model is coming and what it offers is so exciting that it installs belief from the investors (as it should)

Or maybe all of them combined.
I told you guys, I purchased a large block of stock (for me anyway) and I'm up $1,500 at this point. It's not just the PS3 Super Slim. I've been posting the reasons but few are listening or give me arguments.

A few days and $1,300 dollars profit ago I saw the multiple staircase ramps in the stock price at each point where a volume buy occurred and I guessed it showed insider trading. Something will be announced soon most likely at TGS. GTK Webkit2 APIs are to the point that they can support a NEW PSN. ATSC 2.0 is nearly here and RVU (which uses the same webkit for UI) is going to be supported by multiple cable companies starting this October.

Mario007, I'm impressed that you picked up on the latest news, yes it could be all the above, it influenced me. They finally have a multiple of products that bring the Sony Name back from obscurity.

Mario007

I told you guys, I purchased a large block of stock (for me anyway) and I'm up $1,500 at this point. It's not just the PS3 Super Slim. I've been posting the reasons but few are listening or give me arguments.

A few days and $1,300 dollars profit ago I saw the multiple staircase ramps in the stock price at each point where a volume buy occurred and I guessed it showed insider trading. Something will be announced soon most likely at TGS. GTK Webkit2 APIs are to the point that they can support a NEW PSN. ATSC 2.0 is nearly here and RVU (which uses the same webkit for UI) is going to be supported by multiple cable companies starting this October.

Mario007, I'm impressed that you picked up on the latest news, yes it could be all the above, it influenced me. They finally have a multiple of products that bring the Sony Name back from obscurity.

I like following the underdogs in tech so I've got Sony and Nokia situations covered. Sony is obviously more difficult to track and predict, because I do like the company so things that I think could be great not so many people may agree with (for example Wonderbook, I can see it selling tons of consoles for Sony, but then again I have to stop and take a breather because in order for this to sell as many console it will need good marketing and this is Sony we're talking about).

They are certainly moving in the right direction with all of their latest moves. Honestly a PS3 Mini and new software features make sense to happen at the TGS as gaming is the only pillar that hasn't yet received an innovative product for this autumn. You have the new compact Sony camera just being announced and Xperia T launching that represent the other two pillars.

Few are listening because you don't know what you are talking about. SNE always has staircase ramps. It's an ADR, and because of that its value is tied to what happens with the actual stock in Japan. It will have a new value each day based on where it closes overseas.

Sony's up because of currency. The Euro is worth more than 102 Yen at the moment.

Has anyone else noticed the performance of the PS3 XMB improve? Specifically when opening in the background by pressing the PS home button?

Maybe its just my ps3 for some reason, but its a heck of a lot snappier when I look at trophies or check messages from the friends list while playing a game. Maybe it had to do with the last update?

Not sure if this is old news, but I was at work (Australian Retailer) today and noticed two new PS3 SKUs on the system. A 500GB "NEW PS3 SLIM" and a 12GB "NEW PS3 SLIM". $388 AUD and $288 AUD respectively. We are unable to order stock of existing models currently as well. The latest possible delivery date for the stock is the last week of September, with 17 and 27 of each model on order.

Loudninja

Not sure if this is old news, but I was at work (Australian Retailer) today and noticed two new PS3 SKUs on the system. A 500GB "NEW PS3 SLIM" and a 12GB "NEW PS3 SLIM". $388 AUD and $288 AUD respectively. We are unable to order stock of existing models currently as well. The latest possible delivery date for the stock is the last week of September, with 17 and 27 of each model on order.
How does those prices compare to prices now?

Do people even come close to using up a 320 gig HD for just gaming purposes? I assume 500gig is for media related stuff like movies and etc.

Man

Spin disks are so cheap these days anyways so it doesn't hurt to go big (from Sony's perspective).

Also, the US price for the 12GB will be $199 based on Australian price.

libregkd

Do people even come close to using up a 320 gig HD for just gaming purposes? I assume 500gig is for media related stuff like movies and etc.
I could easily see it being filled up if you game alot. I have a 500GB HDD in my PS3 and have about 100GB of free space left with only about 20GB being used for Videos/Music/Photos. I'd probably have more of it filled up if I wasn't so broke though lol

Afrikan

I'm scared to check...ever since I got Playstation Plus, I have been just downloading away. I have just been waiting for the moment when my PS3 stops me from downloading a new demo or full game. So paranoid, that I've just said f'it and started to delete older demos.

Man

Not new games. Games that are past their prime sales wise very likely if there's truth to this (download voucher).

I'm scared to check...ever since I got Playstation Plus, I have been just downloading away. I have just been waiting for the moment when my PS3 stops me from downloading a new demo or full game. So paranoid, that I've just said f'it and started to delete older demos.

Your PS3 will tell you when it has only 500MB left.

Loudninja

Post from 2009

Elios83:
I've heard from retail sources, which have been absolutely reliable in the past that PS3 Slim will launch throughout Europe on September 2 at 299€, official announcement at the GamesCon. We'll see but considering the same sources have been spot on for two years in a row (40GB+price cut and 80GB) I personally don't doubt them ;)
He is very reliable.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
ok i m getting lil confused here. is there going to be another ps3 design ? are those pics real ?

A little late to the party, lol, but there is definitely a new model and price drop coming, those pictures are seemingly the actual unit that Sony filed for.

piteru

Banned
Still don't have any information about a price cut/20gb models but I trust elios so maybe they have kept it secret from us trying not to leak the whole announcement...

Top Bottom