• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

Man

Small summary for new page then:
Not sure if this is old news, but I was at work (Australian Retailer) today and noticed two new PS3 SKUs on the system. A 500GB "NEW PS3 SLIM" and a 12GB "NEW PS3 SLIM". $388 AUD and $288 AUD respectively. We are unable to order stock of existing models currently as well. The latest possible delivery date for the stock is the last week of September, with 17 and 27 of each model on order.
Elios said:
PS3 will get a price cut, 20GB model won't cost more than 199$ with two games included, maybe ;)
Loudninja pointed out that Elios was right on the money with the original PS3 slim release (date, price etc) ahead of reveal so $199 for 12GB sounds likely for the US with that in mind (also based on Australian pricing).

Most likely full reveal at Tokyo Game Show Sony conference next Wednesday.

cech4000.jpg

CECH-4000.jpg

images

Drastic size difference in Z and Y direction.

Not sure if this is old news, but I was at work (Australian Retailer) today and noticed two new PS3 SKUs on the system. A 500GB "NEW PS3 SLIM" and a 12GB "NEW PS3 SLIM". $388 AUD and $288 AUD respectively. We are unable to order stock of existing models currently as well. The latest possible delivery date for the stock is the last week of September, with 17 and 27 of each model on order.
Using this converter $288 AUD is $305 USD for the 12 gb PS3 4000 chassis. Currently a PS3 slim 3000 chassis with 160 Gb drive is $249.

Either I have my facts wrong or it's an increase in price. Good question is what's driving the higher price. Popular opinion is that it's just a smaller version with a cheaper drive. In that case currency issues or manufacturing costs have gone up. My speculation is that it's a complete redesign to reduce costs as well as add new features. It can be a bundle price including depth camera, that works. It can have a HDMI pass-thru or TV tuner built in, the cost is too high for just those but a combination of any of the above could justify the cost increase.

Using this converter $288 AUD is $305 USD for the 12 gb PS3 4000 chassis. Currently a PS3 slim 3000 chassis with 160 Gb drive is $249.

Either I have my facts wrong or it's an increase in price.
PAL region countries get ripped off. So yeah, it's not a proper comparison.

LOL @ your crazy wild speculation. EU/AUS/NZ always get ripped off! It won't have a depth camera, HDMI passthrough or any other fancy stuff.

Man

Jeff, you have to look at relatively.
Currently the 160GB old Slim costs a$348 in Australia. The new Slim will cost a$288.
In the US it costs $249. The new Slim will cost $199 like Elios states.

Either I have my facts wrong or it's an increase in price. Good question is what's driving the higher price. Popular opinion is that it's just a smaller version with a cheaper drive. In that case currency issues or manufacturing costs have gone up. My speculation is that it's a complete redesign to reduce costs as well as add new features. It can be a bundle price including depth camera, that works. It can have a HDMI pass-thru or TV tuner built in, the cost is too high for just those but a combination of any of the above could justify the cost increase.

basic rule is take $100 off the Aus price and you got close to US one

Vita wifi is 250 US and 350 here

BKK

Using this converter $288 AUD is R$617 Brazilian Real (BRL) for the 12 gb PS3 4000 chassis. Currently a PS3 slim 3000 chassis with 160 Gb drive is R$1,399.

Either I have my facts wrong or that's a massive 56% price cut. That means the new PS3 will only be $109 in the US.

PAL region countries get ripped off. So yeah, it's not a proper comparison.

LOL @ your crazy wild speculation. EU/AUS/NZ always get ripped off! It won't have a depth camera, HDMI passthrough or any other fancy stuff.
Forgot the value added tax that is HIDDEN in the price. We in the US require all taxes to the displayed/disclosed.

Edit: Yeah there is no support for it other than it looks like Microsoft will have a Xbox 361 with HDMI pass-thru. Tru2way and ATSC 2.0 are coming soon, if the idea is a competition to become the must have for the living room TV then it's possible, it doesn't cost much to include either TV tuner or HDMI pass-thru. Sony is behind the Allvid FCC proposal which would be 6 TV tuners connected to a Home network with a conversion to a second DRM scheme like DTCP-IP in the home. NASNE is closest to that idea. Something needs to be done to insure Tru2way (RVU) and ATSC 2.0 survive the chicken and egg cycle this time.

I'd be surprised and disappointed by $199 for 12GBs. That's not much of a price cut at all. I wonder if the pricing would have been more aggressive if WiiU was $249.

BKK

The new $109 PS3 4k (CECH-4000 obviously refers to it's 4k resolution capabilities) model with HDMI pass-thru, TV tuner, and big web browser upgrade is really going to wipe the floor with the competition this Christmas.

Man

I'd be surprised and disappointed by $199 for 12GBs. That's not much of a price cut at all. I wonder if the pricing would have been more aggressive if WiiU was $249.
$200 has always been the 'mass market barrier'.
Sony needs all the money they can get these days but they want to cross that barrier as well.

Using this converter $288 AUD is R$617 Brazilian Real (BRL) for the 12 gb PS3 4000 chassis. Currently a PS3 slim 3000 chassis with 160 Gb drive is R$1,399.

Either I have my facts wrong or that's a massive 56% price cut. That means the new PS3 will only be $109 in the US.
A PS3 160GB costs $700 USD in Brazil?! That's bloody expensive and yet, there are so many Brazilians that can afford that price (based on what I see in UC3 MP, at least).

The new $109 PS3 4k (CECH-4000 obviously refers to it's 4k resolution capabilities) model with HDMI pass-thru, TV tuner, and big web browser upgrade is really going to wipe the floor with the competition this Christmas.
No, the competition will have the same...haven't you been reading my posts? Confirmed both Xbox and PS3 will have a Full featured HTML5 browser for the first time ever, the Xbox 361 in the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint 7/2010 had a HDMI pass-thru and typical lead time for a new refresh is about 2 years so it was already in the pipeline at the time the powerpoint was made.

I'm making the assumption that the PS3 4K will have the same not the other way around. It's either that or Sony has some other way of providing Tuner access for ATSC 2.0 OTA and inclusion in the video stream for Cable Set top boxes that don't support RVU.

If Microsoft hadn't mentioned the Xbox 361 in that powerpoint I would have assumed that the above would be a next generation feature not a needed in 2013 when this is starting.

A large part of my reason for buying Sony stock is in the above. If Microsoft stock wasn't so expensive I'd buy it too. 2013 is going to shock everyone.

How is cutting it by $50 not much of price cut?

Because they're cutting 146GBs of storage at the same time. They're cutting the price by about the same amount as the HDD costs to include. That's not a big improvement in value. Getting the entry level price lower is nice, but I thought they could go as low as $150 for the flash model, with a cut on the entry level HDD model to $199.

Mario007

Because they're cutting 146GBs of storage at the same time. They're cutting the price by about the same amount as the HDD costs to include. That's not a big improvement in value. Getting the entry level price lower is nice, but I thought they could go as low as $150 for the flash model, with a cut on the entry level HDD model to $199.

They're bundling in two games to that. We heard reports of the 12Gb model being 179 before, so I can only assume the bundles will be 199 and console without bundles will be sold for 179.

BKK

No, the competition will have the same...haven't you been reading my posts? Confirmed both Xbox and PS3 will have a Full featured HTML5 browser for the first time ever, the Xbox 361 in the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint 7/2010 had a HDMI pass-thru and typical lead time for a new refresh is about 2 years so it was already in the pipeline at the time the powerpoint was made.

I'm making the assumption that the PS3 4K will have the same not the other way around. It's either that or Sony has some other way of providing Tuner access for ATSC 2.0 OTA and inclusion in the video stream for Cable Set top boxes that don't support RVU.

If Microsoft hadn't mentioned the Xbox 361 in that powerpoint I would have assumed that the above would be a next generation feature not a needed in 2013 when this is starting.

A large part of my reason for buying Sony stock is in the above. If Microsoft stock wasn't so expensive I'd buy it too. 2013 is going to shock everyone.

It was a joke, I don't actually believe we'll see any of that happen when PS3 4K is announced. Besides, who cares about HTML5 browser or HDMI pass-thru? Those won't shift any PS3s, and Sony have already made their PS3 forecasts for this FY based on the knowledge that they will be releasing the 4k model, so PS3 4k release should have no affect on Sony's share price whatsoever. If Sony wanted to support ATSC they would have already released a version of Play-TV/Torne in NA.

It was a joke, I don't actually believe we'll see any of that happen when PS3 4K is announced. Besides, who cares about HTML5 browser or HDMI pass-thru? Those won't shift any PS3s, and Sony have already made their PS3 forecasts for this FY based on the knowledge that they will be releasing the 4k model, so PS3 4k release should have no affect on Sony's share price whatsoever. If Sony wanted to support ATSC they would have already released a version of Play-TV/Torne in NA.
I realized it was a joke.

ATSC 2.0 started with Non-Realtime-Transmission two months ago but FINAL specs for ATSC 2.0 will wait for 1ST quarter 2013 and "Candidate Status". NASNE is in the pipeline and we don't know what the PS3 4000 chassis has as far as hardware. I think the Technoblog pictures might be fake.

PSN expansion will be official with DASH streaming to their CE platforms (includes PS3) using webkit2. Ultraviolet, PSN store, Playview (Zoomable media) and more will finally be available.

A 12gb model seems so weird and just doesn't seem viable. For 360 it works sure because it doesn't have any mandatory installs whereas PS3 does. I guess price will be a big factor. I kind of want to pick another one up just for TLOU, Beyond, and FIFA.

Kujo

Regarding that AU$288 price. While the 160GB PS3 has been AU$349 RRP (MSRP) here, it never really sells at that price, if it does it's usually with a couple of bundled games. The past year or more you've been able to find it for around that $288 price regularly, and infact it has even gone down to $248 and as low as AU$229.

So a $288 price for a cheaper model without a HDD would be pretty terrible. Would need a street price of AU$200 or so to be good value. In comparison the cheaper Wii U will retail at $349, with a street price probably closer to $300 in some stores.

patsu

A 12gb model seems so weird and just doesn't seem viable. For 360 it works sure because it doesn't have any mandatory installs whereas PS3 does. I guess price will be a big factor. I kind of want to pick another one up just for TLOU, Beyond, and FIFA.

It works for general media entertainment and PSN games. For BR games, it's probably better and easy to add a HDD.

lunchtoast

So I'm wondering if I buy a new one but want to use my 500gb from my old one, how would I do that? I can't just make a backup and restore on the new because of the PS3 id right? To do a system transfer I'd still have to delete a bunch of stuff if I got the 16gb version.

Mario007

See for those games that you've mentioned you probably wouldn't even come into trouble using the 12GB. Sony first party games don't need huge installs (some don't need installs at all) and neither does FIFA if I remember correctly.

See for those games that you've mentioned you probably wouldn't even come into trouble using the 12GB. Sony first party games don't need huge installs (some don't need installs at all) and neither does FIFA if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I guess if I can add a HDD at a later time as well it shouldn't be a problem. Is this going to be announced at TGS...that is Thursday right?

Mario007

Yeah, I guess if I can add a HDD at a later time as well it shouldn't be a problem. Is this going to be announced at TGS...that is Thursday right?

Yeah and thankfully there's no propriatory only bullshit. Sony's conference is on Wednesday, I think, a day before TGS opens. We're expecting an announcement there.

So it went from 16gb to 20?

Or down to 12...the reports aren't very clear on this part.

iceatcs

Whatever the flash size but what I'm very curious is where the flash will be, What happen to flash data if start to use own HHD?
I won't be surprise there is no more easy HHD slot on the new model.

Or some of OS data will reserve and perm on flash on every new models. Some left over on flash or/and HHD can be use for consumers.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Regarding that AU$288 price. While the 160GB PS3 has been AU$349 RRP (MSRP) here, it never really sells at that price, if it does it's usually with a couple of bundled games. The past year or more you've been able to find it for around that $288 price regularly, and infact it has even gone down to $248 and as low as AU$229.

So a $288 price for a cheaper model without a HDD would be pretty terrible. Would need a street price of AU$200 or so to be good value. In comparison the cheaper Wii U will retail at $349, with a street price probably closer to $300 in some stores.

I'm interested in seeing how it works out for us in the UK, the 160GB is about £180 and the 320GB around £210, if they can manage £50 off that it would sit at less than the basic 4GB 360 which to me would be crazy.

Shame that high yen has probably eaten a lot of cost reductions of PS3 during last couple of years. I was kinda amazed when I looked the historical Euro/Yen exchange rates. During August 2008 one euro was 168 yens...Nowadays 99 yens. Damn. With more normal yen exchange rate they really could go aggressive with pricing.

KalBalboa

Banned
Gran Turismo...that was actually mentioned in the TGS Sony conference thread.

For the 12GB model, I'd see something like LBP2 and LBP Karting

I wouldn't bet on a brand new $60 game being packaged in such as LBP Karting, but I suppose anything is possible seeing as how this is all yet to happen.

Top Bottom