• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at NEW RoboCop Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Aren't you focussing as much on the suit as the people you claim are wrong for doing. What about all the problems the change in premise and direction from the original opens up? Which includes the design, but leads to much bigger problems.

Why do you think 90% of Padilha's ideas were blocked? Maybe because the change in direction means its unfilmable to the rating the studio wants. And by being unfilmable it means the satire can't work nearly as well as the original which took on consumerism not militarisation. This one would be incredibly dark if it did the same.

I haven't seen anyone explain why this design is good yet apart from saying the original one 'wouldn't work now'. Or say this new design is anything but generic.

The new design wouldn't be as good in the context of the original, and to work in the context of the remake it needs a film which we are VERY unlikely to get.

We have a picture of the suit. There is nothing else to talk about. I'm not really going to comment on hearsay and supposed leaked scripts. You're making massive assumptions as if you already knew exactly what the movie is going to be. I can't discuss that, I'm not going to enable that. What Fernando Meirelles said is worrying but we don't know anything about the final product. Hell, there is no final product.

About the suit, I like the simplicity and the sleekness of it, and I do like that it's all one color, black. And like I said before I dig the slight references to the original helmet. I'm not in love with the frigging thing but neither am I going to go on about how it's absolute shit and a borderline crime against humanity.

Sabotage

robocmatme.gif

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think it has to be the same suit but at the same time it doesn't stand out for what's supposed to be a whole new type of cop. Thematically it's pretty shit.

I think the angle is going to be a super-soldier basically, not a cop. Which is why he looks the way he does.

ED-209 is the battlefield tank, Robocop the one man army. Omni Corp don't want to rely on wars so move the battlefield to the city. Robocop suffering a lot of robo angst before staging a mutiny.

Basically the satire goes out the window, because Omni Corp are already in the habit of killing people anyway and unless you REALLY up the bite of the film it's going to be reduced to just a bog-standard story.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
We have a picture of the suit. There is nothing else to talk about. I'm not really going to comment on hearsay and supposed leaked scripts. You're making massive assumptions as if you already knew exactly what the movie is going to be. I can't discuss that, I'm not going to enable that. What Fernando Meirelles said is worrying but we don't know anything about the final product. Hell, there is no final product.

About the suit, I like the simplicity and the sleekness of it, and I do like that it's all one color, black. And like I said before I dig the slight references to the original helmet. I'm not in love with the frigging thing but neither am I going to go on about how it's absolute shit and a borderline crime against humanity.

You really aren't reading anything are you :/

We have the change from Omni Consumer Products to Omni Corp, and the viral marketing video for them to go on.

It's not taking much to piece together what is going on here, and why Padilha has described it as hell.

Platy

ZLlqF.jpg

hmmm ... thinking about this image and those script leaks
including that one that he is basicaly just a killing machine without almost anything human
and knowing how hollywood black machines with red dots ...

Maybe ... something closer to this ?

STlGI.jpg

Not sure ...

Also, with the fear of going "huelen" on this, not sure how many people noticed that there IS a red line in the visor
BiLHq.jpg

Medalion

Banned
ZLlqF.jpg

including that one that he is basicaly just a killing machine without almost anything human

STlGI.jpg

Not sure ...

Also, with the fear of going "huelen" on this, not sure how many people noticed that there IS a red line in the visor
BiLHq.jpg

Main_Discography_Of_Daft_Punk.jpg

Daft Punk soundtrack all but confirmed right?

Well, at least it's an actual guy in a suit instead of CGI.

They'll Iron Man it.
New Robocop with man in suit walking towards the screen, cutaway to another camera angle & the man in the suit is replaced with a CGI double, who continues to walk another 3 feet before the entire sequence changes to people talking.

Xzeon

Banned
batmanhish7.jpg

fucking Batman Beyond!

scrap the whole thing, do Batman Beyond now.

comparing the two of the suits, yeah the new one is generic.

it looks cool, but it looks like something that could be in any modern videogame.

the old one is so iconic and original, its like, how do you update/change something so classic and amazing.

the suit just kinda shows like, why even remake this movie, how do you fix something that aint broken, why change it, why try to make it 'hip' and modern just for the fuck of it.

im tired of these cash grab nostalgia whoring remakes. remake movies that were flawed but had potential. remake movies that were mediocre but had cool concepts. remake movies that would really benefit from modern technology.

the suit looks cool, but why does it have to be the new Robocop, just do a new fuckin movie. oh yeah, right, cuz calling it Robocop means its guaranteed to make money.

except i think people are getting wiser about this stuff, didnt the new Total Recall bomb really hard?

big_z

i noticed the line but it seems about half to a full inch too low.

JVGn3.jpg

Forkball

I'm not sure why people would want the original suit. While it fit the aesthetic of the original, it looks very dated. I'm not sure if this new suit is the best alternative (looks too samey to other cybersuits), but having the original suit would have looked just as bad.

Log4Girlz

I'm not sure why people would want the original suit. While it fit the aesthetic of the original, it looks very dated. I'm not sure if this new suit is the best alternative (looks too samey to other cybersuits), but having the original suit would have looked just as bad.

I don't mind a new suit if it was at least half as well designed and could be considered iconic. I prefer iconic dated to generic crap (for instance Superman's underoo look vs. his new armored digs...which looks awful).

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
It looked like a robot. Hence the title. o_O

whoa whoa whoa , how we gonna have a debate if you just ....jump right into logic and reason huh? we gotta make some shit up here.

yeah so lovin it! the old design had to go this is more ya know not robocop...leading one to wonder why this movie is called robocop.

ugh maybe its gonna have a bunch of cgi added to it.

Levi

Banned
Let me just go on record here that there is no hope that this movie will be good.

The suit is so, so bad I can't even get outraged about it. The part of my brain that gave a shit about a RoboCop remake exploded when I saw that.

agrajag

Banned
He looked like a computer out of a 90s sitcom. There was nothing badass about the design. Functional, yes. Badass, no.

Now I don't disagree that this suit doesn't have that same functionality, but I'm willing to wait until we've seen it under the right context.

So much hate. I bet if Cameron directed it, you would've been singing praises for the original suit.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
He is right the original robocop looked like crap.

Which is a load of bollocks.

It exploded in popularity at the time, even amongst kids who couldn't even get to see the film. The original film poster was incredibly striking. It isn't some accident how the original film is so respected, or why even Aronofsky was interested in remaking it.

Also his slow movement, the sound effects, it all added to someone NOT human anymore. Which was one of the whole points of the film, and Murphy's loss of his humanity. This one is going to find that very hard to get across, especially if you don't even see him shot to bits in the way you do with the original.

And if he's nipping around everywhere you have an IMPROVED Murphy, so lessens the whole loss he has suffered. There is massive potential for an almighty trainwreck here, and that's before even getting into the problems with how to satirise the new film's subject matter effectively.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ZLlqF.jpg

STlGI.jpg

Not sure ...

BiLHq.jpg

ROBOCOP HAS RED EYEESSSSSSS!!!!!11!!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm amazed personally by how much of Rococop seems to have gone completely over people's heads, even after all this time. The mark of a good satire though.

He's Frankenstein's monster, I'd love to see how people on here who like this bland, generic, super-soldier suit would update that film.

Turning Frankenstein's monster into a lean, mean killing machine would really improve it!

agrajag

Banned
I'm amazed personally by how much of Rococop seems to have gone completely over people's heads, even after all this time. The mark of a good satire though.

He's Frankenstein's monster, I'd love to see how people on here who like this bland, generic, super-soldier suit would update that film.

Turning Frankenstein's monster into a lean, mean killing machine would really improve it!

I don't think the remake is even going to try to be satirical at all. I mean, look what they did with Total Recall. They took out the whole mind-fuck element out of the film completely and turned it into a generic action flick.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think the remake is even going to try to be satirical at all. I mean, look what they did with Total Recall. They took out the whole mind-fuck element out of the film completely and turned it into a generic action flick.

I agree, although I think Padilha did have some ideas to satirise militarisation but that was completely doomed from conception because it would have to be way too dark and even more violent than the original.

If it doesn't end up with an R rating it's hopelessly doomed, because you can't tackle either the theme of Murphy's loss of his humanity effectively or even attempt to satirise militarisation. Consumerism was a much better choice for the original because the violence contrasted with it. To satirise the military your only option is to go incredibly far with it.

Which I bet the studio put the brakes on right away.

eshwaaz

i noticed the line but it seems about half to a full inch too low.

JVGn3.jpg
The original helmet was the same way. There's a scene in the original film where you see Murphy's real eye through a crack in the visor, and Weller had to tilt his head back to get things aligned properly.
robocop-visor-eye-murphy.jpg

Yes, he is a Frankenstein's Monster, but he is also the American Jesus.

Robocop is the American version of 8 Man. So it makes sense to finally give him the mobility.

8ManAfter21.jpg

I still prefer 80s nostalgia though.

y2dvd

If you ask me, the most iconic element of Robocop's design is his visor slit (which still appears to be there but it's not very prominent).
ibrdvhfJ6Bd5FK.jpg

This is the best version, but it still looks off because of the weird chest plate design. The bottom piece needs to be more straighten out instead of a V.

Busty

Banned
It's quite an achievement to have a 'modern' Robocop redesign that makes the original look even better by comparison..., especially when you think that the original is TWENTY FIVE YEARS OLD.

Urgh. The new design could literally, literally, be from anything. If you had presented that to me without any context I couldn't have told you what that was supposed to be. I knew that ED-209 redesign was a bad sign.

So instead of something new and daring in terms of design we get a North Korean Iron Man rip off?

Awful. Just awful.

Raiden from Metal Gear Solid?

Funny you should say that....,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40970117&postcount=53

Pachinko

I can't help but wonder how the internet would have reacted if the 80's version was a remake of a 50's movie. When I saw robocop as a kid I found the design was awesome , space age cool looking stuff. It's 2012 now though and robocop just looks like an 80's superhero to me as an adult.

This new look looks futuristic and space age for the current year in much the same way it will look dated 25 years from now.

I'm not saying this new movie will be fantastic or anything but I am interested, it can't possibly be worse then 90% of the stuff robocop spawned 20 years ago- robocop 2, robocop 3, robocop the cartoon and so on.

agrajag

Banned
I can't help but wonder how the internet would have reacted if the 80's version was a remake of a 50's movie. When I saw robocop as a kid I found the design was awesome , space age cool looking stuff. It's 2012 now though and robocop just looks like an 80's superhero to me as an adult.

This new look looks futuristic and space age for the current year in much the same way it will look dated 25 years from now.

I'm not saying this new movie will be fantastic or anything but I am interested, it can't possibly be worse then 90% of the stuff robocop spawned 20 years ago- robocop 2, robocop 3, robocop the cartoon and so on.

It doesn't though. Not when countless movies/video games have been doing the same designs for the last decade.

It doesn't though. Not when countless movies/video games have been doing the same designs for the last decade.

The problem is the people parroting that shit are just quietly implying, "You're a nostalgic old fart" by regurgitating that rhetoric.

I agree. When Robocop hit the scene it was like nothing we had seen at the time.

This?

As you've said, we've seen it countless times.

Certainly there is nothing new under the sun, it's just that some studios aren't willing to invest the time and money in concept artists worth a shit to get that end result that is like nothing we've seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom