• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Woorloog

Banned
Why is it that Halo sucks when played alone?
Never have this issue with Call of Duty. Nor really with Battlefield 3.

I get really stupid teammates. You know, the sort who drive Warthog into a rock and don't know how to reverse. Or people try to use BR at DMR range. Or people are just plain stupid and run directly through open ground to enemies.

JackHerer

Right, because sometimes you lose. Such is the nature of a competitive game.

I'm not talking about that though I'm more referring to aspects of the game that are frustrating because of their design or implementation. Maps are meh for the most part, matchmaking has tons of issues, JIP is terrible, file shares not working, lack of customization, etc.

And game mechanics such as flinch, the Boltshot being a loadout weapon, and armor abilities that hurt the flow of the game and/or take little skill to use such as the hardlight shield or promethean vision. Just to name a few.

I fully expect some of these to be fixed in the coming weeks and months while others I expect will stay in the game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
slow match / map feels too big (edit: for no radar) / i need coffee

That was an extremely fun match, but yeah its not very interesting to watch. We won by 2 kills.
I didn't read the video description until after my nap, hah. I know that feeling, though. I was practically squealing during my first match of Halo 4. And it was on Solace, the map I was most excited about!

zlatko

Banned

I get really stupid teammates. You know, the sort who drive Warthog into a rock and don't know how to reverse. Or people try to use BR at DMR range. Or people are just plain stupid and run directly through open ground to enemies.

One man can't make a team win in Halo, but in CoD one guy camping up a shit storm raining hell on folks definitely can win a game for the team lol.

Except maybe in Swat 1 man could win a game for the team.

zlatko

Banned
I've personally seen it happen in every Halo game.

I'd rather have a team of constant positive k/d spreads, than 1 guy witha massive + spread, then you have this anchorman and a half who is like 3 and 20 feeding the other team.

I've seen 1 man RUIN an entire teams chance of winning in Slayer easily by being AFK or just being a BK, but I like to think I can hold my own fairly well that 1 man can't ever run rambo on my team as long as I'm on it.

Tunavi

Banned

halo requires team-shooting to win.

Woorloog

Banned
One man can't make a team win in Halo, but in CoD one guy camping up a shit storm raining hell on folks definitely can win a game for the team lol.

Except maybe in Swat 1 man could win a game for the team.

I play COD exactly the same way i play Halo, i'm mobile, never camp, prefer close-to-mid range combat, pretty much ignoring killstreaks. Yet i have no problems playing like that. I don't win games for my team in COD, there i don't give a shit about winning. In Halo 4, i don't either but whenever i go alone, i get so stupid teammates (that one CTF match was okay) and camping teammates the game just ain't fun.

halo requires team-shooting to win.

I don't do that with if i play in splitscreen with a friend. Yet the game is fun, losing or winning. Alone, it is not, no matter whether there is teamshooting or not. And it ain't about winning anymore in Halo 4.

kylej

Banned
guys pls be quiet if you like slayer pro, last time people enjoyed a playlist, 343 removed it without warning and never explained why

although if removing slayer pro means the return of TU BETA SLAYER, I'm for it

Our approach to updates and sustain support will be much more frequent and organic than before. There are limits to this of course, but it won't simply be bug fixes or glitch-fixes (some of which can be done fairly rapidly, like carneyholes in maps) but added features and functionality too. Like tending a garden.
Haven and Complex fixes are in-progress.

vigorous arousal in progress

zlatko

Banned
I play COD exactly the same way i play Halo, i'm mobile, never camp, prefer close-to-mid range combat, pretty much ignoring killstreaks. Yet i have no problems playing like that. I don't win games for my team in COD, there i don't give a shit about winning. In Halo 4, i don't either but whenever i go alone, i get so stupid teammates (that one CTF match was okay) and camping teammates the game just ain't fun.

I don't do that with if i play in splitscreen with a friend. Yet the game is fun, losing or winning. Alone, it is not, no matter whether there is teamshooting or not. And it ain't about winning anymore in Halo 4.

I do agree lone wolfing it in H4 sucks. I always lose. I may go positive spread more often than not, but it just gets frustrating without people talking to you about where enemies are, etc. I miss the wild west days of XBL before party chat. :(

I dont know what they were thinking adding instant respawns in KOTH, is a frag fest in small maps.

After two episodes, here are my thoughts on what I'd like to see in future Spartan Ops episodes:

Gameplay:
  • Scoring - The whole first episode is about competing with another team (Crimson vs. Gypsy), but we can't actually compete with them in any meaningful way. Give us scores so we can compete between our team. The game is already tracking this anyway. Put it on the HUD!
  • Finite Lives - Let our antics have a cost.
  • Failure MUST be an option - If it's not possible to fail, then I don't think you can truly succeed. Right now, dying is a great choice because you respawn with more ammo.
  • Wave Defense - Make it matter that we just took a structure. There are waves now, but no down time. Give us a breather (which works great in campaign) and then have the waves hit even harder.
  • Skulls - Let us customize the experience. Also, it's damn weird to not hear Grunt Birthday Party when I pop one of those guys in the face.
  • Harder Options - Right now, even on legendary, my friends just plow through the chapters. It's not hard enough.
  • Personal Ordnance - Have less ammo just laying on the field and make us earn our power weapons. This works great in Infinity Slayer, and could add a lot of replayability to Spartan Ops. Example: "Last time when I got a drop, I went FRG, but next time I should definitely go binary rifle."

Story:
  • Better involvement - right now, since I have infnite lives and can't fail, and Sarah Palmer has said my only job is to shoot things and push buttons, I don't care about the story. How could I? My mission commander is telling me not to care.
  • Some measure of choice - Let us make some decisions. Spartans aren't grunts. We're elite soldiers, so act like it and let us have a voice in the story. Let us decide between saving the scientists or capturing the artifact. And let that decision matter in later episodes. Let us decide if we want to sneak past a camp of Covenant and or attack and risk them discovering our plans. If you want "watercooler discussion", choice is the best way to do it. Just look how many people are talking about The Walking Dead adventure game!
  • Scenarios that rely on the fact that you're a team. Multiple simultaneous encounters? Ground assault team and an air one? Dual hostage situations? Four bombs about to go off and only time to disable them if we all split up? Make it more than just a single player game without thought to the fact that you're supposed to have four players.
  • Less chatter - Let my friends and I be the ones who talk and call things out. I don't need Miller saying "Watch out! Watchers!" or "Phantoms Incoming." By having everything called out, it's another way that we can't fail. Let my team figure things out. Make my team have to keep our eyes open for new phantom drops or drop pods. The game shouldn't call those things out unless I'm failing or taking too long.

They look like a football team in a training camp and Palmer is her drunk coucher, they are just having "fun" and its really depress me.

it's much more difficult to carry a team in Halo than CoD, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. it's just more rare

also long nades don't seem like a game breaking mechanic at all. there's a distinct risk/reward trade-off with them, namely accuracy of grenades versus distance. Seems like a very balanced glitch to me

Woorloog

Banned
One thing i don't like are Commendations. In Reach they were pointless. Now they're just plain annoying. I want those visor colors. Like, this week, not in a few months, some of those commendations will take months for me to finish.
Splatters are especially hard, weak vehicles combined with splatters not registering...
I don't mind leveling and unlocking systems, what i don't like is a system that forces me to either play the certain way (as commendations do), is highly dependent on luck (as some commendations are) or just takes too long (as all the commendations do). I'd keep playing after i don't have anything to unlock anymore, assuming the game is fun. But systems that are any of the three i listed... It does not encourage me to play, it turns me off the game. Even though i like it otherwise. I don't like playing if i know there is something i want but it is unreachable in practice.

I do agree lone wolfing it in H4 sucks. I always lose. I may go positive spread more often than not, but it just gets frustrating without people talking to you about where enemies are, etc. I miss the wild west days of XBL before party chat. :(

Chatting has nothing to do with me not having fun. Hell, whenever i play with GAFers, i tend to keep my mouth shut, i barely even call out enemies (sorry 'bout this guys, usually happens with groups larger than 5). The knowledge i have competent friends at my side makes the game fun

willow ve

Questions:

What don't you like about the UI? Be specific. What's confusing?
Which weapons are overpowered?
What are some big annoyances with maps or gametypes on certain maps? Are there parts of maps not utilized well?
What's missing in the custom games menu? What can't be removed or edited?
What don't you like about Spartan OPs?
What don't you like about campaign?
Is there anything thoroughly annoying, other than auto-pickups, in any of the gametypes right now?
Found any glitches? Where and when?
What's wrong with FORGE?

UI - Issues that have been mentioned many times before. Most notably (for me) is the active roster. When I launch active roster while in a lobby I have to scroll past 16 names to see my friends list.

Weapons - Fix the grenade super throw glitch. Fix Boltshot instant reload glitch.

Annoyances Gametypes - Slayer Pro; remove instant respawn. Personally it feels/looks like Spartans are skating and sliding around due to the increased base speed. CTF; shorten the return time or allow a touch return (or reduced return time if you're close to the flag). It's almost impossible to return the way it is now. Oddball; remove instant pickup. Frustrating to be defending your ball carrier, have them die, and instantly become a defenseless bullet sponge due to instant pickup. Big Team Battle; needs to have objective gametypes added to the rotation.

Annoyances Game Mechanics - Global Ordnance is messy, confusing, and never seems to drop what the map actually needs. Put the Global ordnance on static timers (at the very least for symmetrical weapons such as Snipers on Ragnarok). Personal Ordnance seems to reward players who are dominating the other team. I like this in theory, but it generally leads to more domination. In a single game I can grab initial sniper spawn, get a Binary Rifle, then a Saw, all due to rolling the dice.

Annoyances Maps - Exile is unbalanced. Red team spawn is a protected, two level base with windows, shooting angles, and cover - and quick access to Banshee and Scorpion. Blue team spawn is out in the open, with no high ground, no cover, and only a Gauss Hog. Either use Forge to give Blue team a fighting chance from spawn or remove Scorpion from map.

All maps for Infinity Slayer / Slayer Pro. These maps all feel too large at times. Even with universal sprint and instant respawn you can spend a full minute (or more) just running around looking for the enemy team. An average game of Slayer Pro should not take 12 full minutes to complete; yet look at all the uploaded videos of just that scenario. Hopefully DLC or Forge maps will fit these 4v4 matches more comfortably.

Voting in General. In gametypes that only have 4-5 maps it ends up being only 1 or 2 maps that get chosen all of the time. For instance Ragnarok and Exile are chosen all the time in BTB. Weight the other maps to show up in voting more often.

Custom Games Options Instant respawn disable/enable doesn't seem to work. Give us the option to turn off auto pickup of objectives.

Spartan Ops I have thoroughly enjoyed the Spartan Ops content. The writing, at times, can feel a little shallow and repetitive. Give us the option to vote on what difficulty setting we would like to play. Choose your level, match us up, let us vote at that point.

Campaign Enjoyed it. Beat it solo legendary before trying any other game mode even though I really thought I would jump straight into the multiplayer. Some of the AI can feel a bit cheap at times with instant kills (the Wraith AI in particular is really dominant). Overall the art direction, music, scope, and cutscenes were top of the class. I can't think of a single other game that comes close to Halo 4 in these aspects.

Glitches In campaign some Promethean Knights will teleport and appear in random and illogical places. Such as a mile up into the air playing at being Superman.

Forge Others are much more qualified to detail constructive criticism on this point.

Anything Else Turn on Friendly Fire. There should be consequences for shooting rockets and throwing grenades around teammates. All this has done is switch the griefers from AR bursts to ghost/mongoose splatters.

*spring post*
The main problem I have with sprint is that it doesn't flow well with the combat. Constantly having to stop suddenly from one speed to the next doesn't sit well with Halo's combat, I feel.
Random global ordinance (as opposed to weapons on map) I'm with you on. Loadouts are fine. Killstreaks? You mean personal ordinance? That's fine to as it's only in two gametypes.

He's talking about the glitch that wipes out your loadout settings, dear.

also there's a glitch that makes it so the only way to change your loadout is to do the option through the start menu. You don't get a choice at the beginning of a match at all

Top Bottom