• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Rin-Ne no Lagrange 2

This show panders to the Yuri fans so hard it almost hurts. That said, it still manages to make these moments endearing or at least enjoyable for the rest of the world. The OP and ED of season 2 aren't on par with season 1's OP and ED, but hey, that's life.

Oh, and the Ignis' LASER CAPE is the most badass laser tool a giant robot has ever had since the advent of beam sabers.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think the top one looks more odd than the bottom one.

Morita-san has better dead moe eyes. :D

jbjVtzVZrTqI8L.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rin-Ne no Lagrange 2

This show panders to the Yuri fans so hard it almost hurts. That said, it still manages to make these moments endearing or at least enjoyable for the rest of the world. The OP and ED of season 2 aren't on par with season 1's OP and ED, but hey, that's life.

Oh, and the Ignis' LASER CAPE is the most badass laser tool a giant robot has ever had since the advent of beam sabers.

Hehe so true.

Regarding you other statement, definitely agreed. "TRY UNITE" has been one of the best OP's I've listened to in quite some time.

Shergal

Usagi Drop 7

HNNNNNNNNG.

Kind of bittersweet story this episode, leaning more on bitter than sweet. Is that actually how real Japan goes?
Men being mostly overworked to the point they can barely see their family, let alone properly communicate with them, and women that just think of how to settle down into a lifestyle that they're later going to regret, being unable to break free from it.
I ask because that's not the first time I've seen stuff like this depicted in Japanese media, and Usagi Drop particularly seems to be very grounded in reality.

One thing that came up a lot in this episode was growing up, but instead of being the teenage kind, it dealt more with
starting to get old and feel like your prime is already behind you.
Fortunately(?) I'm still very young, so I couldn't relate very well to that aspect of the episode, but the fact that
Haruko spent the whole episode grieving and complaining about her life, and things weren't even remotely resolved by the end
was kind of a hard-hitter. For this type of show, at least.

As a side note, I really enjoy the interplay between Daikichi and Kouki. Brings some consistent comedy and dynamism, particularly this episode where the three children, with Kouki on the initiative, teared down the adults was pretty amusing.

Nafe

chickdigger went and got himself banned again...

---

Puchimas! Episode 43

E8n3GWe.gif

Haha, K-Owned! indeed. Love those expressions.
Takanya and Makochi are pretty good at gaming apparently. These last two episodes were pretty fun. Chihaya looks good in a ponytail too.

Me too! And I don't know if this is because of the different pace this thread has had lately (or if it seems to me that way because I haven't been following this thread in a more timely manner), but I have the impression people like Nafe also didn't post in ages! :-(

Hey you noticed! :)

At the time of this post I had only posted three times in the last 220 pages or so...Some of it is I've been busy, I was reading others posts but didn't have anything to add or I actually thought about posting but then ultimately didn't because I didn't feel my post would really be contributing anything or really adding anything interesting to the discussion. The pace of the thread has been pretty brisk as well so some of it is I'm a bit behind on pages. A whole combination of factors really.

Theonik

Vividred Operation 05
We better get Akane x Rei docking in the future in some form. Also a thing I forgot to note is that I really like how they do a different ED for each episode depending on the character they focus on. Not exactly a new thing but pretty cool regardless. An OK amount of butts this episode, BD should be interesting.
What did he do THIS time?
"WiiU has no games" troll.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Now you're just getting my hopes up.
Starring Jugem!

Natsu no Arashi Episode 1

http://i.imgur.com/9Vq1fdk.png

Headtilt in literally the first minute. This is a SHAFT production, alright. Incidentally, something about the faces in this show look really, really off. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I suspect it might be the eyes. And maybe the lighting.

Alright, this came strongly recommended, although I'm... not entirely sure what I just watched. I didn't actually look up anything about this show before jumping in, so imagine my surprise when they all started time-travelling. And even after this, I don't think I could actually tell you what the premise is. It doesn't supply any context to... anything that happens on screen. I guess that might be what they're going for, given the episode title (Playback pt. II), but it's hardly anything to build an impression on the actual show on.

As for the episode itself, it wasn't that great, I'll be honest. Even with the left field revelation of 'she's actually a time traveler with a magical girl transformation sequence', it felt kinda pedestrian. It doesn't really help that the production quality isn't at all spectacular. The show isn't very appealing to look at.

And allow me to break here for a moment, because I can't seriously be the only one who doesn't see something wrong with this.

http://i.imgur.com/okvCi6O.png

It sits there for like five seconds in the episode and those five seconds are vaguely uncomfortable. Dead, squished eyes that seem a little too big for her face. Augh.

Will give this a couple more episodes, although I really can't shake the feeling I'm missing something important here. The ED, at least, is alright. Although that's probably owed to my love of silhouettes than anything else, really.

The first episode is like the first episode of Dusk Maiden of Amnesia in that it just throws you in media res and leaves you to figure things out. The second episode is the actual "pilot". I quite like that because it primes you for what will come and ignores all differs the introductory stuff until later.

Also, it's Shaft's secret best show, so you better love how it looks!
(Keep an eye out for the K-On "cameo"! lol)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Natsu no Arashi Episode 1

Nobody likes the first episode--between this and Dusk Maiden, you have to wonder if Oonuma Shin makes convoluted first episodes that poorly represent what shows are going to be like as some kind of intentional and twisted stylistic choice. Starting with the next episode you'll probably see more of what fans of the show find endearing; the first episode is a gimmick episode and does a bad job of introducing the protagonist or indicating that the show is actually a magical realism slice-of-life/comedy with a surprising amount of emotional range.

The QUALITY never gets better, though, so make your peace with that! It's SHAFT's lowest-budget show ever to the point that it feels more like a stage play than an animation sometimes.

Psycho Pass 19

Wait, so Japan is cut off from the rest of the world again? Was this mentioned before and I'm just forgetting due to how wordy the show can be? Wonder what the rest of the world thinks of the Sibyl system if they even know about it.

Anyway, a future that relies on a single food source and stuff made from that source must suck.

Psycho Pass 19

Wait, so Japan is cut off from the rest of the world again? Was this mentioned before and I'm just forgetting due to how wordy the show can be? Wonder what the rest of the world thinks of the Sibyl system if they even know about it.

Anyway, a future that relies on a single food source and stuff made from that source must suck.

Didnt they say in this episode that the world has a negative view on it?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
While the lewd avy month idea may have been a risky idea, it did get me thinking that it would be pretty cool to have a themed avatar for each month with animegaf. Like a 'Jojo' themed month with poses and all would be pretty boss. Just a thought. :)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
While the lewd avy month idea may have been a risky idea, it did get me thinking that it would be pretty cool to have a themed avatar for each month with animegaf. Like a 'Jojo' themed month with poses and all would be pretty boss. Just a thought. :)
Avatars always get changed for the worse.

/XX/

I see you've already embraced the true future of anime.

Cheers!
Imaishi did work hard on those CGI Black Rock Shooter fight scenes...
Fireworks effects. Traditionally. Beautifully. Hand-drawn. 2D... on Little Witch Academia... lets just think on that for moment and what it means nowadays...

I LOVE YOU, MR. YOSHINARI!

When are the last two episodes of GuP being aired again? It's this month, right?

WAIT WHO CARES A YUKARI DOUJIN JUST GOT SCANED OMG. Oh damn! Take that Yukari!! taaaakeee itttttt!!! ヽ(≧Д≦)ノ
Nice, but some 'non-h' goodness would be cool as well to get.

I know that, comparatively, text-heavy 'dōjin' are more difficult to translate, but some fragments I've seen of Gewalt's circle last Girls und Panzer works (http://gewalt.militaryblog.jp/e392874.html) look so informative while also funny that I'm sure all the fans of the series would appreciate seeing something like that, without the necessity of it featuring much explicit content.

Hey you noticed! :)
Of course! Now that I know the reason behind it I'm kind of relieved. Sometimes one can't know when people will stop posting definitely, unless there is a previous warning.

Why not draw your own avatar month?

sonicmj1

Psycho Pass 19

It's a pretty common fictional trope, isn't it? I remember hearing somewhere that in the world of Psycho-Pass, Japan is basically the only place that hasn't broken down into total anarchy for whatever reason. I'm not sure whether that comes from the show at some point during the riots, or from something supplemental.

This is a pretty convenient plot point for them to raise over 3/4 of the way through the show, considering that they've never hinted at it once.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It is widely known that tomat browses 4chan.

Quasar

Chihayafuru 2.08

So loved this. Loved the interaction between the two teams in the first match.

Also. Arata.

Really can't wait for next week. But I say that every week about this show. So love this show.

Ultimadrago

Vivired Operation 6

What kind of beach episode has girls picking up trash? In any how, (most links nsfw) plenty of shots for the whole family. There's lso more irrefutable evidence that the grandfather is an unapologetic sick old man! Bless his
now frozen
heart. Momo can only hopelessly spectate as his blood (and butt)-thirsty madness continues! So yeah, bikinis everywhere! Again, I love how the professor is doing the whole "Let's make them stronger friends" typical nonsense, but with a sadistic grin on his face the entire time. It makes the type of episode much better to watch than a loving, soft approach to it.

This episode was silly, fun, "hawt" and silly. I hope another one in similar vein shows up before all is said and done.

Clevinger

Hey, could you guys tell me if this sounds familiar? I'm trying to think of where this scene is from. I think it's from an anime, but I can't remember.

One or two kids are forbidden to go into a cave. They end up going in, there's charms everywhere, and one or both of them encounters a winged demon nailed high up on a wall, or tied up on something. I think it was withered/looks dead. I think, think they end up screwing up the charms there and the demon ends up possessing one of them or something like that.

edit: Wait! I'm pretty sure the demon makes a deal with one of them in exchange for releasing it.

It's driving me nuts. Thanks.

Shergal

Fireworks effects. Traditionally. Beautifully. Hand-drawn. 2D... on Little Witch Academia... lets just think on that for moment and what it means nowadays...
I LOVE YOU, MR. YOSHINARI!

I had a sakugasm.

Oh god, is LWA going to get uploaded into Nico like Arve Rezzle?
Oh man, should I watch the inevitable gifs before getting to see the full package? So much hype and anticipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom