• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

Kotoura-san 11
Could you make the killer's identity more obvious please? I'd like to know their identity before they are even introduced. How about in episode 1, or the OP even? Seriously I don't think I've seen a killer more obvious.
Basically as soon as she was introduced, she was suspicious and her comments about Kotoura made it crystal clear.
ALSO WTF AT THAT ENDING!? "You've killed multiple young girls brutally, but I'll let you off with a warning. Just don't do it again or I'll put a cross against your name on the whiteboard. Get 3 crosses and you're grounded!" THAT IS NOT HOW THE LEGAL SYSTEM WORKS!!!
EVEN IF YOU HAVE AN ALTERNATE PERSONALITY!
Kotoura-san 10

Hey gang! Let's go track down the person killing all those teenage girls! Sounds like a plan! *SCOOBY-DOOBY-DOO!*
People, err, person, calm down.

I know what I'm going to say is going to sound stupid, because it is, and it's like the opposite of what the show shows you, which yeah, is the fault of the show, but, uh,
none of the victims were killed! The detective girl just goes around whacking them on the head once with her baton and draws some blood putting them in the hospital for a bit. That's, err, it. Now the show on the otherhand makes it look like something much worse, what with them photographing blood marks on the pavement, never showing any of the victims after the fact, yadda, yadda, but they actually say that they're just being assaulted and put in the hospital not killed. It's like a totally different visual from the audio I know but no one's killed.

Theonik

Vividred 11
Tomodachi! A disappointing amount of butts this episode but am hyped that they'll go all out for the final one regardless. It also had a fair amount of Red x Black too so I'm happy about that at least.
Well that vore sequence sort ruined that bu I remain hopeful

Blossom (non-raped version)
I still can't get the changes, the dialogue honestly isn't that much but I'm surprised they had to edit it. This was pretty good regardless in both versions.

wonzo

Banned

I know what I'm going to say is going to sound stupid, because it is, and it's like the opposite of what the show shows you, which yeah, is the fault of the show, but, uh,
none of the victims were killed! The detective girl just goes around whacking them on the head once with her baton and draws some blood putting them in the hospital for a bit. That's, err, it. Now the show on the otherhand makes it look like something much worse, what with them photographing blood marks on the pavement, never showing any of the victims after the fact, yadda, yadda, but they actually say that they're just being assaulted and put in the hospital not killed. It's like a totally different visual from the audio I know but no one's killed.
Wow, this sounds dumb as hell even by this shows comically dumb standards.

I'm sure one of her quadrillion abilities allows her to turn into one.
Oh right she does have an hability like that

Splash Star 13:

One day Mr. Ikuhara was tired after a big work, so he went to Roppongi to do nanpa etc etc

You know, one thing that early Precure series did very, very wrong was the cycle of introducing a villain, using that villain every episode for a few episodes, and then unceremoniously discarding the villain permanently. It wasn't so bad in Futari wa because only a couple of the villains had anything resembling a personality, but Splash Star's villains have been really entertaining so far and so it's a terrible waste when they're introduced only to be disposed of almost immediately. Later series' usage of small core groups of villains who live with each other and rotate in their duties throughout the course of the entire season is much smarter because it opens so many avenues for development and entertaining interaction that are impossible with the old method.

Yep that's for sure... the vilains in splash star are quite good and so different from the rest ...
Keep watching you'll be entertained by some events ..for sure. SS hasn't started to be great yet

jgminto

wut

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
THAT IS NOT HOW THE LEGAL SYSTEM WORKS!!!
fWLtNMA.png

UNACCEPTABLE!
boom.gif

Jex

[Life's Best Ten]

BestTen_zps2baab898.jpg:original

Hatoko, a business woman, faces her upcoming 40th birthday and looks to reunite with the person with whom she shared her first kiss in middle school, over two decades ago.

I was most impressed by how consistently charming and upbeat this story managed to be. While I haven't encountered that many josei works the one's I've experienced tend to be rather downbeat and it's easy to see how this could have gone in that direction. I'm really glad they didn't because I'm rather tired of stories that tend to portray this kind of life as inherently depressing and disheartening.

Anime is saved, etc.

Now where's my Death Billiards?

mAcOdIn

Wow, this sounds dumb as hell even by this shows comically dumb standards.
It is stupid but the show's constantly doing that, flipping between the two visual extremes, not just with the case but, Jesus, the show has been exaggerating visually what's going on since the first episode.
Is that seriously what happened? I don't really want to watch it again but the murderer must have killed...someone. I don't...
There is no murderer. If there was a murderer of course he/she would have had to have killed someone to "earn" the title of murderer but there's no murderer.

jgminto

It is stupid but the show's constantly doing that, flipping between the two visual extremes, not just with the case but, Jesus, the show has been exaggerating visually what's going on since the first episode.

There is no murderer. If there was a murderer of course he/she would have had to have killed someone to "earn" the title of murderer but there's no murderer.

So they really never used the word murder or murderer this whole time? I'll have to check this out myself but it does sound like the idiotic genius of Kotoura-san.

mAcOdIn

So they really never used the word murder or murderer this whole time? I'll have to check this out myself but it does sound like the idiotic genius of Kotoura-san.
Well, to the best of my non Japanese speaking knowledge they don't, they don't in the official subtitles at the least.

The first time we're introduced to the two detectives the old man specifically says anyone who puts kids in the hospital's a bad person and the girl replies they're not kids they're high schoolers and he replies that high school kids are still kids.

Further, that makes more sense as to why they're investigating a scene with no body because, if the victim's not dead it'd be a pretty assholish thing to do to not give them medical attention just so you can investigate the scene undisturbed.

Now, the attacker may have threatened to kill Kotoura in the last episode once the jig was up, I can't remember, but until that point there was no murder or even threat of murder what so ever.

Suite Precure 1-2
Finally popped my Precure cherry. You guys told me ages ago to begin with Heartcatch or Smile, but actually I prefer starting with the weaker series and working my way up, and I gather Suite isn't too highly thought of.

Anyway, I enjoyed these first two episodes a lot. The setup and execution remind me of when I used to watch Cardcaptors (CCS), Power Rangers etc when I was younger. It's been a while since I've watched anything quite so wonderfully formulaic, childish, saccharine and silly. I'll probably get through it fairly slowly, since marathoning it would doubtlessly cause it to become gratingly repetitive.

Oh, and although I have nothing against the main duo, I'd like to see some more Precures join the fray sooner rather than later.

jgminto

The first time we're introduced to the two detectives the old man specifically says anyone who puts kids in the hospital's a bad person and the girl replies they're not kids they're high schoolers and he replies that high school kids are still kids.

I just watched the intro of 9 again and you're totally right. That's amazing. I wonder if it was intentional? It's quite impressive really.

duckroll

Magi anime end spoilers

It seems to me like this "original" ending the anime is going for is simply a (bad) Frankenstein mutation of the events from the manga, just like the first 3 episodes of the show. The main objective here seems to be to add a) unnecessary drama and action, b) condense events so they have less to adapt for the end of the Zagan arc. It's really pretty gross watching it unfold.

In ep24 the bad guys invade Sindaria while Aladdin's group are still fighting the princess at the end of Zagan's dungeon. This basically allows for more "epic action" so all the Sindaria generals can have more screen time, and it also allows them to fit in the fights between the generals and the guys who attacked post-Zagan in the manga, without actually waiting for the Zagan dungeon to be cleared in the anime. Same fights, just rearranged for a different purpose.

The knight with the princess in the Zagan dungeon cuts Hakuryuu's arm off in the fight as well, which shows they want to skip adapting the post-Zagan party events as well but want to have the same outcome in case they do another season. Pretty lame.

Finally, the biggest change is that Sinbad realizes too late that the "real plan" of the enemy was to distract Sindaria so they cannot back Aladdin and Alibaba up, as they turn Alibaba into their dark prince. At the end of the episode the evil magician releases all his power to possess Alibaba or something, turning him into a full Dark Djinn-equip warrior.

The preview for the final episode shows Aladdin diving around in some sort of consciousness, so this is clearly just the anime's version of the post-Zagan banquet events where the same thing sort of happens, but it's much more dramatized and "action packed" here, since Mor and Hakuryuu will also have to hold off Aladdin in his "super cool" evil mode, while Aladdin tries to save him.

No doubt the ending will put everyone in the same position they're in at the end of the manga arc, just with different circumstances at the end because Yoshino is too cool to give a fuck. Lolz.

i really hate when they mix things up ..the manga pacing ( and coherence ) has been ruined.

i'm talking about magi. Now you're telling me that the mess of the first 3 happen again in the last 3 ? Lol

NO THANKS.

mAcOdIn

I just watched the intro of 9 again and you're totally right. That's amazing. I wonder if it was intentional? It's quite impressive really.
Well, sure it was intentional, the script was always the script, there never was a killer, I guess the question is did they intend to mislead the viewer, to which I'd say no, they're not trying to mislead the viewer, they state exactly what's happening in the show, what they are doing is constantly showing a huge contrast between what's happening in the story and how the characters react to those events in the story for emotional impact.

Like I said earlier, I think it's par for the course for the show and that not only has this case's effects been overexaggerated but that more or less everything in the show's exaggerated. Whether it's the visual cue of the dead eyes, the perversion, the beatings, literally everything in the show is over the top and the show happily and deliberately moves between the different emotions with all the subtlety of a tsunami.

Grzi

Episode 23 of Magi was one of the worst looking episodes of anime I've ever seen.
I know I already mentioned it but it needs to be repeated.

I can't believe I defended the show for so long, worst train wreck ever.

Articalys

They announced Wolf Children as the overall winner of the Tokyo Anime Awards a while ago, but I don't seem to remember seeing it mentioned here. Anyway, they just announced the full list of award winners, so let's see what they are:

Animation of the Year and Best Feature Film
Wolf Children

TV Animation Award Winners
Sword Art Online and Kuroko's Basketball

Best Director
Mamoru Hosoda (Wolf Children)

Best Original Story (awarded to original creator of an adapted work)
Reki Kawahara (Sword Art Online)

Best Screenplay
Mamoru Hosoda and Satoko Okudera (Wolf Children)

Best Art Direction
Hiroshi Ohno (Wolf Children)

Best Character Design
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Wolf Children)

Best Voice Actor
Yuuki Kaji

Best Music
Yoko Kanno

They announced Wolf Children as the overall winner of the Tokyo Anime Awards a while ago, but I don't seem to remember seeing it mentioned here. Anyway, they just announced the full list of award winners, so let's see what they are:

Best Voice Actor
Yuuki Kaji

Favorite VA good. 50/50 on tv animation...SAO Id only put there if we only counted ALFheim Online I guess. At least Kurobas gets recognized, hope season 2 is just as quality.

Branduil

I remember watching Macross Plus a long time ago and had the irrestistible urge to slap Isamu Dyson.

He's a terrible lead. He's willful, brash, arrogant and never really gets taken down a notch. Ever. The fact that anything good ever happens to him is a negative point against the show.

Well, I don't think that's necessarily an inaccurate depiction of a fighter pilot, LOL.

Theonik

Animation of the Year and Best Feature Film
Wolf Children

Best Director
Mamoru Hosoda (Wolf Children)

Best Original Story
Reki Kawahara (Sword Art Online)

Best Screenplay
Mamoru Hosoda and Satoko Okudera (Wolf Children)

Best Art Direction
Hiroshi Ohno (Wolf Children)

Best Character Designer
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Wolf Children)

Best Voice Actor
Yuuki Kaji

Best Music
Yoko Kanno
Kayos Anime Awards

Kurita

Nah, the new Hunter X Hunter is proof you can do it right.
A lot of other shows but it's the most recent one that really sticks out as being great.

Ok, this one and Jojo.
That's funny how relatively old series have the best adaptations.

Theonik

Ok, this one and Jojo.
That's funny how relatively old series have the best adaptations.
Old manga is best manga is why!
It has more to do that with the manga finished or very ahead of the adaptation it's a lot easier to adapt, not necessitating reworking endings and giving better insight in terms of adapting pacing for anime format and such.

Grzi

Old manga is best manga is why!
It has more to do that with the manga finished or very ahead of the adaptation it's a lot easier to adapt, not necessitating reworking endings and giving better insight in terms of adapting pacing for anime format and such.

True, but AFAIK the Magi anime was supposed to have 25 episodes from the start, so there's really no excuse for messing up the pacing this badly. Or for the changes they made.

survivor

Banned

So giving the award to one bad anime wasn't enough, they had to give it to 2 bad anime? This really feels like it's a fan voted award.

Theonik

True, but AFAIK the Magi anime was supposed to have 25 episodes from the start, so there's really no excuse for messing up the pacing this badly. Or for the changes they made.
Even so, an original ending was inevitable. That doesn't excuse all the things wrong with Magi though.

Erigu

[Kotoura San]
For what it's worth, in the manga, those are murders
and Tsukino isn't the actual culprit.

duckroll

How can SAO win for best original story when it's a light novel adaptation?

Weird definition of "original".

The award is 原作賞 which is the award given to the original authors of adapted works. Original in this case is "the originating work" and not "a new work".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom