• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interviews Nomura at E3 - More details on KH3 and FFXV

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/12034847.html

Some interesting notes:

Final Fantasy XV

- Nomura says the final line in the FFXV trailer is not part of the game's story, it was just added as a gag for the name change reveal. (This is the line about the "fifteenth coming".)

- He acknowledge that the "A world of the VERSUS epic" tagline at the end of the trailer specifically refers to the possibility of turning the setting into a series of its own. He says the story in FFXV will reach a climax, but it is like the conclusion of a single part of a larger epic (poem). There will be room for more stories to be told.

- He is aware that for large scale console development projects, there might be a need to keep people interested in the long term with online elements rather than just offer a short term single player experience. There are no concrete plans as of yet but he's looking at all possibilities to see what fits.

- S-E is interested in expanding new FF experiences on the PS Vita, as well as smartphones and tablets. They won't be the same old FF experiences, but something new.

- There will be more of FFXV shown from now onwards, especially at big events like TGS.

Kingdom Hearts 3

- They're calling the shading technique in KH3 the "Kingdom Shader" and the shaders they use will change with each world to create more authentic visual experiences based on the Disney source material. (This was already mentioned in the S-E Radio interview on their Youtube channel earlier.)

- Famitsu asked if KH3 would be developed on Luminous Studio, like FFXV is. I don't think there has been any confirmation that FFXV is actually developed entirely on the Luminous Studio engine so far, but the fact that Nomura seems to answer the question normally suggests that it is, or that the answer applies to both FFXV and KH3. You decide!

- They're currently looking into using Luminous Studio as the main engine. By developing on an Overspec (PC environment I presume), it makes porting the same content to both PS4 and Xbox One easier. The battle footage in the trailer is a movie, because the tools they're using have difficulty outputting stuff on the actual systems right now, but he promises that runs in realtime in the dev environment and it should look the same eventually.

- The two biggest new things in KH3 which he talks about are "crazy scale action" and way better enemy AI. He confirms that there will be a 3 character party in the game, but NPCs and allies in each world will also join in battles, and there will be crazy epic aerial action blahblahbalh sound like KH. :p He also talks about enemy AI being more complex and being able to interact with the player, like Sora riding on a vehicle type enemy and so on.

- They are also considering online features for KH3, as well as other features which have not been in KH before. (Nomura is a very considerate person. He seems open to considering anything. :p)

- Nomura thinks that it would be great if they can time the release of more information on KH3 at the D23 Expo Japan in October along with TGS. KH3 is seen as a rival production for FFXV. Get hype, etc.

- He is aware that for large scale console development projects, there might be a need to keep people interested in the long term with online elements rather than just offer a short term single player experience. There are no concrete plans as of yet but he's looking at all possibilities to see what fits.

From what I've seen so far, I would be A-OK with a Vs. mode for FFXV.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
- He acknowledge that the "A world of the VERSUS epic" tagline at the end of the trailer specifically refers to the possibility of turning the setting into a series of its own. He says the story in FFXV will reach a climax, but it is like the conclusion of a single part of a larger epic (poem). There will be room for more stories to be told.
Final Fantasy XV-2, -3, and perhaps more double confirmed.

Nomura has done a pretty good job with this in Kingdom Hearts (especially BbS), so I have confidence here if they go forward with the idea.

- S-E is interested in expanding new FF experiences on the PS Vita, as well as smartphones and tablets. They won't be the same old FF experiences, but something new.
Well if they're not social games I might be interested.

- For FFXV and KH3, they're currently looking into using Luminous Studio as the main engine. By developing on an Overspec (PC environment I presume), it makes porting the same content to both PS4 and Xbox One easier.
What on earth are they using right now?

kenta

Has no PEINS
What does it mean that KH3 and FFXV are seen as rival productions? Friendly internal competition to make a better game than the other team or something?

Toki767

Nomura's always involved in multiple projects and probably always planning ahead.

At least it's not Kitase who's knee deep in Lightning.

Aeana

Heh, he really does say "叙事詩の一篇" (piece of an epic poem). Oh, Nomura.

Soriku

He says the story in FFXV will reach a climax, but it is like the conclusion of a single part of a larger epic (poem). There will be room for more stories to be told.

OK...I hope the game still reaches a satisfying conclusion after a long story. Then again it's FF XV so not much worry there.

Now I wish PS4 online was free :/

- They're calling the shading technique in KH3 the "Kingdom Shader" and the shaders they use will change with each world to create more authentic visual experiences based on the Disney source material. (This was already mentioned in the S-E Radio interview on their Youtube channel earlier.)

Hope we see this in action at TGS.

- The two biggest new things in KH3 which he talks about are "crazy scale action" and way better enemy AI. He confirms that there will be a 3 character party in the game, but NPCs and allies in each world will also join in battles, and there will be crazy epic aerial action blahblahbalh sound like KH. :p He also talks about enemy AI being more complex and being able to interact with the player, like Sora riding on a vehicle type enemy and so on.

Sounds good. I want to see some crazy aerial combos. And "crazy scale action" sounds cool.

- There will be more on KH3 at TGS and at Disney's D23 Expo Japan in October. KH3 is seen as a rival production for FFXV. Get hype, etc.

Good. And XV looks crazy so prospects should be really good for KH3.

Nephrahim

I wish they could talk about if they can add new properties to KH3. I'm sure a lot of people are excited about the idea of Marvel and SW possibly being included (Though the EA deal might complicate the latter.)

sublimit

Banned
September can't come soon enough.Hopefully they will announce a release date for XV in TGS.

Also it's good to hear they will be supporting Vita with more original games.

Spiegel

Best news is that there will be more news for both games this year.

Let's hope this means FFXV for 2014 and KH3 for 2015.

The Lamp

SCREW. YOU. Learn some closure, Nomura. We waited 7 years for this game and the story isn't even over before it began?

duckroll

Actually, I should probably have said that Nomura thinks that it would be great if they can time the release of more information on KH3 at the D23 Expo Japan in October along with TGS. He doesn't actually confirm it. But since he's directing the game... why else would he mention it? Maybe he's being cagey because of all the ice burns he got over the years with "Versus info will be coming soon". :p

Do we know what Nomura's role in KH3 is? Co-directing?

Nomura is the director of all KH games.

UrbanRats

In the radio interview on their Youtube channel, he mentioned how they develop the games at the top of their possibilities on that Direct X 11 tool, and then adapt them easily to various HW.
What i wonder is, how much of a downgrade we will see on Ps4/Xbone, compared to the footage shown so far?

He's also gone out of his way to point out that with the Dx11 tool, they can port the game to any compatible platform, not only PS4 and Xbone, which sounded a lot like: "we're looking at PC too" to me.

Vire

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/12034847.html
He acknowledge that the "A world of the VERSUS epic" tagline at the end of the trailer specifically refers to the possibility of turning the setting into a series of its own. He says the story in FFXV will reach a climax, but it is like the conclusion of a single part of a larger epic (poem). There will be room for more stories to be told.

Fuck fuck fuck.

I knew I couldn't trust them.

duckroll

Added the stuff about KH3 online being looked into, along with stuff which hasn't been in KH before. It really sounds to me like KH3 is really, really early in development, and they're just trying to figure out what will be in the game. Osaka should work fast though. They made the KH3D concept demo after wrapping up BbS, and delivered the full game 2 years after that. I have more faith in KH3 coming out in a timely fashion than XV honestly. :p

Looking into luminous?

Jesus christ, I can't even comprehend how much of a mess the game development must be. They are still picking tech?! After 7 years?

StuBurns

Banned
I thought they were already using their next gen engine on that trailer they showed. Does this mean more added development time (lol) to switch engines?
You can change a renderer pretty quickly.

FFXV is obviously coming in the near future. KH3 looked super early though, anything could happen tech wise with that I'd imagine.

duckroll

I thought they were already using their next gen engine on that trailer they showed. Does this mean more added development time (lol) to switch engines?

My guess is that KH3 is currently nothing more than a concept video, and FFXV has been in development for so long that it's running on a hacked up dev environment of a bunch of different shit over the years. So looking ahead they probably want to streamline it all, but who knows if Luminous Studio is really fully ready to be used as a complete dev environment.

You can change a renderer pretty quickly.

FFXV is obviously coming in the near future. KH3 looked super early though, anything could happen tech wise with that I'd imagine.

Yeah the renderer isn't an issue at all. The real question is if Luminous Studio has a working toolchain and how easy the stuff is easy to use for the development staff. That's really the main question about the engine which they have never answered.

Added the stuff about KH3 online being looked into, along with stuff which hasn't been in KH before. It really sounds to me like KH3 is really, really early in development, and they're just trying to figure out what will be in the game. Osaka should work fast though. They made the KH3D concept demo after wrapping up BbS, and delivered the full game 2 years after that. I have more faith in KH3 coming out in a timely fashion than XV honestly. :p

Yeah but that was not on HD consoles where SE problems are :(

Wasn't Luminous engine not finished yet? Maybe we have another case MOH:W with the devs dealing with unfinished tools and all that ending with a lackluster and buggy product. lol

What on earth are they using right now?

FF XIV engine? lol

(Probably not, since the engine is not DX11 ready)

Verendus

Banned
My guess is that KH3 is currently nothing more than a concept video, and FFXV has been in development for so long that it's running on a hacked up dev environment of a bunch of different shit over the years. So looking ahead they probably want to streamline it all, but who knows if Luminous Studio is really fully ready to be used as a complete dev environment.
Yep. What they showed at E3 was essentially thrown together. KH3 is in prep stages essentially right now.

Edit:

So the the trailer of ffxv was a fake video like KH3? I knew FFXV looked too good to be true.
Nothing like that. FF15 is quite far along. KH3 is a different story. Not a comparable situation.

Top Bottom