• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interviews Nomura at E3 - More details on KH3 and FFXV

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Have you heard anything about 2.5 yet? I'm starting to wonder if maybe Osaka plans to knock that out first before devoting full development resources into KH3. Pre-production could be looooong for KH3 if so. :(

Nothing specific, although yesterday Hashimoto did say the HD collections wouldn't be on anything but PS3 so I imagine it's soon... TGS probably.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
'A fantasy based on reality' my ass. All these fashion models devoid of personality beyond the most cliche cookie cut shit is so fucking far from reality. I don't care if the world is loosely based on fashion trends Japanese wankers jack off to.

Rude. So much more to Japanese fashion than these host club guys 。・゚・(ノД`)・゚・。

Some of the character's are looking way too Men's Knuckle for me though.

img0001rhy.jpg

hkenglishcover.jpg

knuck17.jpg

JCreasy

So wait, they're just now thinking about switching over to Luminous engine for FF XV? What!?

Well hell, isn't this gonna push back everything even further?

Oh hell, I give up . . .

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hard to get excited about KH3 for now but I'll bite on anything they throw us. Get hype! for XV though, looking forward to a constant flux of media. Can't believe the time has come. I want a compilation post with all the "where is Versus" GAF threads.

Curious about their tablet/mobile plans. As much as it's maligned around here, I'm hopeful that they have cool ideas for mobiles down the road.

Tomodachi

Please

please

please

get an English-first speaking person on the staff to write English copy text. I have absolute confidence that Square Enix's translators and localizers are consummate professionals, but it is abundantly clear that writing things in Japanese first (and perhaps pushback by the original writers and producers against localizers or translators tampering with things) is leading to nonsense.

"A world of the VERSUS epic"
"fifteenth coming" name change gag

These are English words. They have English meanings. But they do not read, sound, or feel like they are written in English. And this ripples through to dialogue as well. And it's not just SE, it's stuff like Metal Gear Solid too.

These things are usually confined to trailers though (probably edited in house or even decided by the main developers, I can see Nomura throwing some random english phrases around because they sound cool), the localization of MGSs and FFs are usually top notch. I also find these weird sounding phrases kinda cool to be honest :p But that might be because I'm not a native english speaker myself, I can see how they could sound cringeworthy to british and american people.

kevm3

I really wish they would put a new artist on the series. I'm tired of all the super pretty doll like characters. It's like the series went from epic adventures to more of a soap opera feel.

KH3 really does sound early, but I was already suspicious with how barebones the trailer was. At least it's by the Osaka team and who knows, it might come out before FFXV for the lolz.

paul187

I'm confused. Is FFXV apart of XIII's world or is it's own universe? I thought this was apart of the fabula nova crystallis?

Soriku

1.5 was remastered by two developers at SE's Osaka studio right?

Only at the start but then more people helped out.

Btw when are we realistically expecting XV to release considering they're considering whether to go full-on with Luminous or not? <_<

Clevinger

- For FFXV and KH3, they're currently looking into using Luminous Studio as the main engine. By developing on an Overspec (PC environment I presume), it makes porting the same content to both PS4 and Xbox One easier.

They haven't even settled on an engine yet? Holy shit...

I wonder if it's even possible for FFXV to be profitable at this point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The engine bit is indeed confusing/troubling, are they seriously still considering changing the engine for XV? Shouldn't they have done that at least one year ago when they decided on the change to next-gen consoles? Wut.

edit: clearer now with the other posts and duckroll's edit

duckroll

I'm confused. Is FFXV apart of XIII's world or is it's own universe? I thought this was apart of the fabula nova crystallis?

Since no one else wants to give a serious answer....

Fabula Nova Crystallis is not a world. It's a mythology. They came up with background setting of deities and myths about the beginning of the world and how humans were created, etc. Each game based on that mythology then crafts original settings, characters, etc based around that mythological concept. It's meant to be adaptable to fit any sort of setting and story, just like how countless stories use certain religious motifs and mythologies from our world as inspiration or background.

Shapingo

Will Square ever make another co-op Final fantasy? XV looks like it would be perfect for online co-op (drop in/out).

The last main series co-op FF was FF9 and only in the battle. That was a lot of fun to have one person be Vivi and the other Steiner.

Will Square ever make another co-op Final fantasy? XV looks like it would be perfect for online co-op (drop in/out).

The last main series co-op FF was FF9 and only in the battle. That was a lot of fun to have one person be Vivi and the other Steiner.
I am betting my money on Kingdom Hearts 3 featuring co-op.

They're interested in Vita? If SE starts putting out Squaresoft caliber stuff on Vita, they alone will be enough of a reason for me to finally buy one. START WITH TYPE-0 SE!

paul187

Since no one else wants to give a serious answer....

Fabula Nova Crystallis is not a world. It's a mythology. They came up with background setting of deities and myths about the beginning of the world and how humans were created, etc. Each game based on that mythology then crafts original settings, characters, etc based around that mythological concept. It's meant to be adaptable to fit any sort of setting and story, just like how countless stories use certain religious motifs and mythologies from our world as inspiration or background.

Thanks for the info. I skipped out on FFXIII so I've been pretty oblivious to this.

Stark

Banned
The engine bit is indeed confusing/troubling, are they seriously still considering changing the engine for XV? Shouldn't they have done that at least one year ago when they decided on the change to next-gen consoles? Wut.

I guess its just easier to transfer between since its straight up on PC. Maybe Luminous is nearing completion and they're just waiting.

Zoe

So the "gameplay" trailer really wasn't gameplay? Sigh.

He was talking about the KH3 trailer. The XV gameplay trailer was realtime footage. The gameplay shown in the reveal trailer could have been realtime, touched up, or target shots.

Soriku

Here's a full translation of the KH3 segment:

http://khenglish.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/12-june-2013/#more-647

—We were surprised that you would release a KHIII trailer so soon, what with KH 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (hereon KH3D) and KH -1.5 HD ReMIX- still so recent.

Nomura: I know there are many fans who are restless because we have only released spin off titles since KHII, so I decided to announce it along with FFXV. Looking at the stage of development, though, I do think perhaps it is a bit early to be announcing it.

—However, it does seem like the visuals already have a solid direction.

Nomura: Among the developers we are calling the visuals ‘Kingdom Shader’. On original worlds, this is the feel the characters will have. The Shader will adjust depending on the world, so the visuals will match with the style of each Disney World.

—Like FFXV, is KHIII being developed on Luminous Studios?

Nomura: At present, we are going with Luminous as our main and undergoing investigations. The porting to both PS4 and Xbox One, working by overengineering, is the same. For the section of battle in the trailer we showed, we didn’t have time to prepare a clip of it working on the existing equipment because of tool issues, so instead we made an FMV that would give a feel for what is possible in realtime. Even so, the way it moves doesn’t look much different at all in realtime.

—Please tell us how the action in KHIII will have evolved.

Nomura: Right now there’s a demo version that works on our existing equipment… and it’s an absolute storm (laughs). It goes even beyond ‘bold action’. In KHIII you will have a three person party, but depending on the world NPCs will also join in fighting, basically, we’re developing some very flashy action. You’ll be flying through the sky unfolding into air battles without landing.

—Just with Sora (laughs).

Nomura: I suppose so (laughs). The enemy AI is becoming rather elaborate, and we’d like for coordinated action to flow from enemies and allies alike. For example, there’s a vehicle-type enemy, and we’ve already got Sora being able to ride that enemy all around during battle.

—Lastly, a message for your fans.

Nomura: FFXV and KHIII are projects that exist as great rival projects that polish each other up as they are developed. At our private conference, despite KHIII being the lucky last and being at a low stage of development, I’m aleady feeling a response. For KHIII, developments unseen in the KH series so far involving online elements are under investigation, so please look forward to upcoming news. This year in Japan we will be exhibiting at Tokyo Game Show and at Disney’s D23 Expo Japan event, so I think there will be more information available around those times.

More stuff at the link.

- For FFXV and KH3, they're currently looking into using Luminous Studio as the main engine. By developing on an Overspec (PC environment I presume), it makes porting the same content to both PS4 and Xbox One easier.

They're....just now looking into what engine to use? wat.........................

HeelPower

VERY happy they confirmed no more info hiatus for XV. I am very happy to know ill hear something about it every once in a while.

Soriku

Nomura actually said the same thing for KH2, but it released 2 years after its announcement. So we'll see. No way it's coming anytime before 2015 at the earliest though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nomura actually said the same thing for KH2, but it released 2 years after its announcement. So we'll see. No way it's coming anytime before 2015 at the earliest though.

Nomura didn't send you the game from the future? lol. I have the game in my hands! =D

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think 2015 is unreasonable. Certainly it shouldn't ship the same year as FFXV. 2016 though, I really hope it's not that far off, but who knows.

Stuart444

I'm sticking with my predictions personally, by Christmas 2014 for XV and Christmas 2015 for KH3 (October - November for both probably)

So so happy we'll be getting more info on XV regularly and even some KH3 info :D

Go_Ly_Dow

So I'm confused, could someone clarify.

Was the gameplay trailer they released yesterday running in real time on PS4 and not faked? His comments are nebulous.

Likewise, is this running on the Luminous engine now? If it isn't, they are going to do an engine change midway through development? What the hell have they been doing the past five years? Jesus... Square.

What you have seen in the trailers is how the game will look/play on PS4.

Nomura also said they will try and work on improving the visuals even further.

Top Bottom