• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play reviews Lair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuhi

Drinky Crow said:
on one hand, casey loe is usually a credible reviewer with a healthy sense of skepticism. on the other hand, he's writing for halverson's geekwank rag. if the hysterically massive delta between heather campbell's play review of twilight princess and her startbutton.com review of the same game is any indicator, my money suggests that halverson won't pay up if the games he's tagged for greatness aren't properly treated and observed. i'd read that 9.0 as a 6.5/7.0 and suspect a more, er, halversonian origin of that horrible line about "gliding over a starlit ocean to opera".

I swear that review actually was written by me (starlit ocean opera line and all). If it was one of the game's Dave had tagged for greatness there's certainly no way he'd have let me have the review! And if we got a kickback for that, I certainly didn't get a cut.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to with the Heather review of Twilight Princess... I actually wrote the Twilight Princess review in Play, so it's possible you're comparing her review for some other source with mine for the magazine. (And I stand by that 9.5, damn it, TwiPri was awesome!)

I dunno why the hype isn't out there for Lair—it did look like a mess at most of its trade show appearance, but it really did come together in the end. IMO, at least...

Raistlin

Takuhi said:
I swear that review actually was written by me (starlit ocean opera line and all). If it was one of the game's Dave had tagged for greatness there's certainly no way he'd have let me have the review! And if we got a kickback for that, I certainly didn't get a cut.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to with the Heather review of Twilight Princess... I actually wrote the Twilight Princess review in Play, so it's possible you're comparing her review for some other source with mine for the magazine. (And I stand by that 9.5, damn it, TwiPri was awesome!)

I dunno why the hype isn't out there for Lair—it did look like a mess at most of its trade show appearance, but it really did come together in the end. IMO, at least...

Sweet.

Mind describing the gameplay a bit? This is one of my most anticipated titles of the year.

Onix said:
Mind describing the gameplay a bit? This is one of my most anticipated titles of the year.

My frothing demand is not quite on the increase, but I am interested in your gameplay impressions, Takuhi. Especially, are there any sections where you just fly around and explore, or travel to the next area, or is it all battle and objective-based "levels"?

Dirtbag

30.jpg

green-goblin.jpg

That's all I can see when I look at that screenshot.

Takuhi said:
Guess you kind of answered your own question in the same sentence.

Takuhi

Liabe Brave said:
My frothing demand is not quite on the increase, but I am interested in your gameplay impressions, Takuhi. Especially, are there any sections where you just fly around and explore, or travel to the next area, or is it all battle and objective-based "levels"?

It is entirely objective-based levels, and in a lot of them you have to protect an allied unit that is under fire, so abandoning it to explore will almost certainly cause you to fail the mission. But some of the later levels have open-ended objectives and nothing to protect, so you're free to fly around and explore. I kind of wish there was a little more of that, though... The environments are SO beautiful. And varied! It was driving me nuts a few weeks ago when everyone was worried that the game would be "too brown" and I couldn't post about it. Every level looks and feels very different and the game has great use of color.

The play mechanics take a lot of getting used to. The core flying and shooting is totally intuitive and satisfying (I love the Sixaxis control for movement) but the game is constantly cutting away to little bits where you're attacking side-to-side or doing QTE stuff or doing that two-dragons-locked-together fighting game thing, which is very annoying and confusing at first. But when you do figure out how and why those things happen, they do add quite a bit of depth to the game. The navigation systems are weak, so the first time you do each mission it can be confusing where you're supposed to go, but once you know what to do, they're really fun to replay.

I'm glad to see some people here are excited for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Now buy the magazine!

Udde

Those new screens are awesome! Can't wait to play this @1080p :D I'm really interested in the sixaxis control too, maybe it will be the first game I really enjoy playing it with the tilt sensor.

Btw: "It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." Oscar Wilde

That quote could be applied to the 'discussion' ^_^

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Takuhi said:

Thanks for posting, I certainly hope it's as awesome as you feel it is. Can't wait.

As for Drinky... erm, um well...

arias

Banned
Takuhi said:
It is entirely objective-based levels, and in a lot of them you have to protect an allied unit that is under fire, so abandoning it to explore will almost certainly cause you to fail the mission. But some of the later levels have open-ended objectives and nothing to protect, so you're free to fly around and explore. I kind of wish there was a little more of that, though... The environments are SO beautiful. And varied! It was driving me nuts a few weeks ago when everyone was worried that the game would be "too brown" and I couldn't post about it. Every level looks and feels very different and the game has great use of color.

The play mechanics take a lot of getting used to. The core flying and shooting is totally intuitive and satisfying (I love the Sixaxis control for movement) but the game is constantly cutting away to little bits where you're attacking side-to-side or doing QTE stuff or doing that two-dragons-locked-together fighting game thing, which is very annoying and confusing at first. But when you do figure out how and why those things happen, they do add quite a bit of depth to the game. The navigation systems are weak, so the first time you do each mission it can be confusing where you're supposed to go, but once you know what to do, they're really fun to replay.

I'm glad to see some people here are excited for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Now buy the magazine!

A positive impression :eek:

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Takuhi said:
The navigation systems are weak, so the first time you do each mission it can be confusing where you're supposed to go, but once you know what to do, they're really fun to replay.

I really hate this shit.

shidoshi said:
Here... made this just for you.

(And for the sake of the lord, people... THIS IS JUST A JOKE. Not at all real, before anybody gets the wrong idea.)

Play-persona-cover.jpg
You know, Bitch Slap Wii would be an awesome game. I think you're on to something.

justjohn

i can read drinky's posts all day. its like being massaged by angelina jolie and scarlet johanssen with ave maria playing in the background. pure bliss

antiloop

isochronus said:
I see alot of low poly models with a few decent textures mixed in with alot of poor quality textures with no textural effects.

lol?

ok, now show me a game that does what Lair does. Dynamic just about everything with awesome weather effects and thousands of soldiers on screen. Let's not forget the 32x32 Km levels.

It has some crappy textures. But as long as you can't show me a game without crappy textures you don't have a case.

VonGak!

Banned
isochronus said:
I see alot of low poly models with a few decent textures mixed in with alot of poor quality textures with no textural effects.
:lol Come back when you can mention a single console game doing geometry and textures better than Lair (technically and not "I prefer this art style because it got a huge x360 tag on it" BS).

C.T.

some particle effects look like ps2 but artistic wise it looks really gorgeous IMO. I hope the gameplay delivers.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This thread convinces me that alot of people that read GAF need glasses.

Raist

Banned
tdrdrgn said:
i hate the color panel they choose for this game. It looks like poo =/

68hjlv8.jpg

Happy now ?

Well, at least it took 5 pages this time.

And how did Play get a retail version, when the game is pushed back to October ? Seems a bit early to me. If game is ready, just release it now ffs. And the demo, too. Kthx

VonGak!

Banned
tdrdrgn said:
We really should make this silly "colour palette" talk banable, it's so brainless that it hurts.

KZ2, GeoW, RE5, CoD4, MGS4 and so on and so on suffer from these dumb remarks from people who I bet were loving movies like the Matrix and 300.

Darji

Banned
tdrdrgn said:
The environments are SO beautiful. And varied! It was driving me nuts a few weeks ago when everyone was worried that the game would be "too brown" and I couldn't post about it. Every level looks and feels very different and the game has great use of color.
sure......

Karma Kramer said:
any impressions from gameplay?

we all know it looked beautiful.

The problem with these hardcore magazines is that they have a strong tendence to evaluate graphics too much over the rest. What about the OST ? What about the story ? And What about the gameplay ?

Darji

Banned
other things than graphic

Don't assume that because Lair is such a stunning piece of eye candy that there isn't also a substantial game at its core.

The only negatives were that objectives weren't explained well enough and confusing navigation sometimes.
They say that some of the confusion is because it combines nearly 6 genres into one game...but once you get use to it, it is a game with incredible depth.

It also says that replay value is extremely high--you can receive higher ranks and that unlocks amazing stuff such as new dragons, etc. to kick butt with.

with its stunning visuals and incredible soundtrack, Lair may well be the single most powerful experience that a man can share with his $5,000 home theatre system.

oh and dont forget

If gliding over a beautiful starlit ocean to the haunting strains of opera doesn't impress you, you're dead inside

VonGak!

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The problem with these hardcore magazines is that they have a strong tendence to evaluate graphics too much over the rest. What about the OST ? What about the story ? And What about the gameplay ?

Perhaps but Lair is one of the few games where graphics and scale are more important than game-play just like how the big battles and special effects in the LotR movies apparently were more important than the actual story.

What I'm saying is that the gameplay only needs to be good as long as the other two things are done well as the game is more about the epic feel.

Darji said:
other things than graphic

oh and dont forget

Ok. Thanks. This guy seems VERY excited, but I'll wait for more reviews.

VonGak! said:
Perhaps but Lair is one of the few games where graphics and scale are more important than game-play just like how the big battles and special effects in the LotR movies apparently were more important than the actual story.

What I'm saying is that the gameplay only needs to be good as long as the other two things are done well as the game is more about the epic feel.

Bah. I thinki that it is a combination of factors that make a game a great game.

Forsete

Gold Member
The game looks shit-hot in some of the screens. I wish they would release a demo so I can make up my mind. To get or not to get?

It's funny how the same people who complain about the colour palette in this game or MGS4 have never complained about the colour palette of GeoW, or the people complaining about bad art have never complained about the many "bad art" games on X360 including Halo 3 and Mass Effect (no Deepblue this is not a discussion about Halo 3 -don't post pics- I'm just calling out certain people who have double standards for obvious reasons).

Oh man between this thread, the Uncharted and the GT5 one I'm really starting to miss bishoptl, at least he could keep the trolls scared. Why has he forsaken us?

fortified_concept said:
It's funny how the same people who complain about the colour palette in this game or MGS4 have never complained about the colour palette of GeoW, or the people complaining about bad art have never complained about many "bad art" games on X360 including Halo 3 (no Deepblue this is not a discussion about Halo 3 -don't post pics- I'm just calling out certain people who have double standards for obvious reasons).
Calling out Halo 3 for "Bad Art" in a Lair thread as an example of double standards is one of the more retarded things you could possibly do. You should have stuck with how butt ****ing ugly GeoW is instead of Random Big 360 Game X.

VonGak!

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Calling out Halo 3 for "Bad Art" in a Lair thread as an example of double standards is one of the more retarded things you could possibly do. You should have stuck with how butt ****ing ugly GeoW is instead of Random Big 360 Game X.
So you claim the Haloo art style to be good?

RichP

Banned
Raist said:
And how did Play get a retail version, when the game is pushed back to October?

I'm still seeing mid-August everywhere I look, unless you're talking a different territory than NA?

Son of Godzilla said:

Bad art in a matter of opinion. Some people think FFXIII has bad art while I love the art in that game.

Halo 3 has bad art imo but that's not the point. Notice how I don't go in every Halo 3 or GeoW thread to declare how I think they have bad art like the usual suspects do all the time with Lair and MGS4 (colour palette)?

VonGak!

Banned
beerbelly said:
And you would have a problem if he did?

This forum is unbearable now.
No I would say it's consistent though not a reason to buy the games.

But hey some people may be in love with purple aliens and 70's concrete buildings... you know people who kept their 80's hair style. :)

Halo got nothing on the games I mentioned in one of my previous posts, so when someone attacks the art style of those titles while hailing Halo art style it smells of fanboy attack or really bad taste.

fortified_concept said:
Bad art in a matter of opinion. Some people think FFXIII has bad art while I love the art in that game.

Halo 3 has bad art imo but that's not the point. Notice how I don't go in every Halo 3 or GeoW thread to declare how I think they have bad art like the usual suspects do all the time with Lair and MGS4 (colour palette)?

Bad art or not, I meant that Halo 3's art style has nothing in common with Lair's. Whereas the dragons in Lair look suspiciously similar to Locusts. I disagree with you though, I think games should be called out where applicable, people shouldn't censor opinions because they are negative. I think the group speak people do in threads is unfortunate, I remember getting torn alive and even banned once for mentioning and providing proof about both GeoW and Halo 3's graphical problems.

So you claim the Haloo art style to be good?
I don't really know, but I'd wager that Haloo's one of those games where graphics and scale are more important than game-play just like how the big battles and special effects in Alien Vs Predator apparently were more important than the actual story.

Son of Godzilla said:
Bad art or not, I meant that Halo 3's art style has nothing in common with Lair's. Whereas the dragons in Lair look suspiciously similar to Locusts. I disagree with you though, I think games should be called out where applicable, people shouldn't censor opinions because they are negative. I think the group speak people do in threads is unfortunate, I remember getting torn alive and even banned once for mentioning and providing proof about both GeoW and Halo 3's graphical problems.

You keep missing my point. I am talking about the usual suspects who use double standards when they keep trashing Lair's art and then they jump to Halo 3 and Mass Effect threads to say how beautiful they look or defend their graphics. It's pure hypocrisy and there's an obvious reason why this is happening.

I didn't want to turn this into a damn Lair vs Halo art comparison and you should know that because I said it in my first post here:

no Deepblue this is not a discussion about Halo 3 -don't post pics- I'm just calling out certain people who have double standards for obvious reasons

It's annoying when people take your posts out of context, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom