• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Zophar

Uncharted sales are disappointing but to be expected. It's not all doom and gloom though, I'm fairly confident it'll make it to around 500k worldwide by the end of the year, which is at least respectable. Heavenly Sword's already hovering around 600k which is surprising considering how little reason there is to actually own that game opposed to this one.

Madman

quetz67 said:
I understand the math, but would you run out and buy every 2/2 game only because that is 100%?

But sorry, I was wrong a 4/4 would of course mean a range from 80-100% or an average of 90% (75%-100% or an average of 87.5%)
So if you took a test, and got a 4/4, you wouldn't have recieved a 100%? That's some interesting logic there.

quetz67

Banned
deepbrown said:
No I wouldn't run out and buy a game if it got full marks from a website I don't know. True.

I'm simply posting a review that got full marks - it got 100%. So we can now add it to our list of reviews. If it's scale was 2, where 2 is 100% and they gave it 2/2 - I would then add the review as 100%, or as 10/10. If they gave the game 1.9/2 I would then add a 9.5/10 score. It's very simple.
But you understand that if you tell someone the review was 100% he would think, the game is perfect. If you tell him the game got a 4/4 he would think: 'Might be a perfect game or might just have entered the 4/4 zone by being 76% good'

spwolf

Zophar said:
Uncharted sales are disappointing but to be expected. It's not all doom and gloom though, I'm fairly confident it'll make it to around worldwide by the end of the year, which is at least respectable. Heavenly Sword's already hovering around 600k which is surprising considering how little reason there is to actually own that game opposed to this one.

Beauty of first person games is that they made at least 20mil off HS for instance already, and that they will probably make more on Uncharted.

quetz67

Banned
Madman said:
So if you took a test, and got a 4/4, you wouldn't have recieved a 100%? That's some interesting logic there.
it is not pure math logic. but in your example the test questions are atomic, while the 4/4 rating of a review gives quite a range.

Madman

quetz67 said:
it is not pure math logic. but in your example the test questions are atomic, while the 4/4 rating of a review gives quite a range.
I'm convinced you are just fucking with everyone, so I will take my leave on this topic.

deepbrown

quetz67 said:
But you understand that if you tell someone the review was 100% he would think, the game is perfect. If you tell him the game got a 4/4 he would think: 'Might be a perfect game or might just have entered the 4/4 zone by being 76% good'
Why is this site rating with integers? They use halves as well.

If they give it full marks, it's getting full marks. If games were marked out of 0.3 and a game got 0.3/0.3 it would be 100%.

And we're not here to "think" what people might think of a 4/4 scale. We're hear to add reviews. Look, if they wanted to give the game 9/10 they would have given it 3.5/4 but they didnt, they wanted to give it full marks.

There are loads of sites that do mark in integers out of a 10 scale, and will give 10/10 since they think it's higher than a 9. Plus there are lots of games that are given 10/10 and still have criticisms in the text...so you can't bring that up. Why are people questioning full marks of Uncharted, and not Halo3 and AC. Meh.

quetz67

Banned
deepbrown said:
Why is this site rating with integers? They use halves as well.

If they give it full marks, it's getting full marks. If games were marked out of 0.3 and a game got 0.3/0.3 it would be 100%.

And we're not here to "think" what people might think of a 4/4 scale. We're hear to add reviews. Look, if they wanted to give the game 9/10 they would have given it 3.5/4 but they didnt, they wanted to give it full marks.
I am not here to add reviews to a list, I dont think this is the review thread.

If someone posts a review I read it and make a decision based on score and text and this sounds like a 90%-95% review.

Actually I already played and would rate this 95%, but if I had to push it into an 1-10 scale I would probably give it a 9...mostly because many would believe I think the game is perfect if I give it a 10

deepbrown

quetz67 said:
I am not here to add reviews to a list, I dont think this is the review thread.

If someone posts a review I read it and make a decision based on score and text and this sounds like a 90%-95% review.

Actually I already played and would rate this 95%, but if I had to push it into an 1-10 scale I would probably give it a 9
Ok thank you...you could have just said that instead of questioning whether a 4/4 is 100%. Go read some Bioshock, Halo, AC reviews for ideas of games that don't deserve 10/10.

BTW if you wanted to give it 9.5 and you had to put it into a 10 scale, you would round it up to 10/10. If the site makes it clear it marks in integers (which the gaming blog DOES NOT...it rates in halves) then there would be no problems in rounding a score up to 10.

quetz67

Banned
deepbrown said:
Ok thank you...you could have just said that instead of questioning whether a 4/4 is 100%. Go read some Bioshock, Halo, AC reviews for ideas of games that don't deserve 10/10
yeah, thats why I would change the rating system of sites like gamerankings, because games with much hype tend to get more 10/10 or 5/5 ratings although being less than perfect.

Synless

BruceLeeRoy said:
I have 3 friends that have PS3's and all opted to buy Cod4 or AC in the last month. I told them constantly you guys got to pick up Uncharted its awesome and I was always met with ehhhh yeah maybe later I was never very into **** Raider. No matter how many times I explained it to them thats what they decided the game was like. So on friday I had them all over to my house and they all took turns playing from chapter 1 to chapter 5. The whole time I kept hearing the same things over and over "OMG the graphics" ,"Did that guy just say let me see your head booolaayy?", "OH the shotgun is awesome this game is fricken awesome". So we played right up to when they got to the shot of the fortress and I was like alright you cheap bastards thats it man go get it. I kid you not all of them by this Sunday had the game and keep calling me to tell me how fantastic it is. The damn game sells itself.

Only Sony could take a game that has:

1.The best graphics of any console game currently available.
2.A great cast of characters and one of the best new hero's to emerge in a long time.
3.Excellent gameplay.
4.Tons of replay and fantastic sound.

And get it too sell only 100k its almost like you would have to try really hard to ensure this game isnt successful.

So yeah this will be my ongoing rant.

Glad you like it man. Great shots too.
This has puzzled me too, every single friend that I've let play this game has bought it. The game is better to me then anything else I've played this year and I can't believe the sales, they are truly horrible and I wonder how ND feels when they see these numbers?

deepbrown

quetz67 said:
yeah, thats why I would change the rating system of sites like gamerankings, because games with much hype tend to get more 10/10 or 5/5 ratings although being less than perfect.
OR the 10/10's make for a more fair average, since a game may get 7/10 from a harsher ratings system, and the 10/10s will bring it up to the 9/10 average. Sadly the whole internet do not have a set ratings system.

Kittonwy

Banned
Synless said:
This has puzzled me too, every single friend that I've let play this game has bought it. The game is better to me then anything else I've played this year and I can't believe the sales, they are truly horrible and I wonder how ND feels when they see these numbers?

If a dude goes into a game shop he'll probably get something that is a recognizable franchise over a new IP when it never got massive hype from the press or a free pass from reviewers, every 9 the game got it had to earn, not a single mag gave it a massive mag blow-out or massive five day preview, it's CRAZY for something that is literally the best game on the PS3. Hopefully it will get a good amount of word of mouth sales.
Indifferent2.gif

Madman

Synless said:
Yet another page of this. Truly horrible would have been Folklore numbers buddy. Or Warhawk. Plus, Uncharted's sales increased in the UK. I'll just quote what I said last page:

Uncharted did less then great sales, but this sort of stuff happens. Get over it. Bitching about it here doesn't do anything. The ad agency that did the marketing and made the commerical is gone. All you are doing right now is making the thread a bitchfest about something completely out of our control. I feel the sales for Folklore, Ratchet, HS, and especially Warhawk were disappointing. But all I can do is buy the game and hope for the best. Did you buy the game? Are you telling other people to? Then you did your part and you should just try to enjoy the game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Madman said:
Truly horrible would have been Folklore numbers buddy. Or Warhawk.
Wait, what? Warhawk's leaderboards had over 300K people listed on them, last I checked. That's "horrible"?

quetz67

Banned
Uncharted is NOT selling terrible

I followed amazon.de sales, it was already sold out, now back in stock it goes up quite quickly in the rankings (finally above prostreet, thank god)

And it has the most perfect ratings I have ever seen on amazon, I am sure this will have some serious legs due to word of mouth. OK, it isnt in the top 10 in europe, but thats pretty hard competing with Wii and PS2 install bases.

Madman

kaching said:
Wait, what? Warhawk's leaderboards had over 300K people listed on them, last I checked. That's "horrible"?
Around 330-340k actually. And yes, going by his terms, that would be horrible. It only did around 75-100k the first month, including all territories.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sorry, you said "Truly horrible" which implied something more absolute that some poster's interpretation of it. :p

Madman

kaching said:
Sorry, you said "Truly horrible" which implied something more absolute that some poster's interpretation of it. :p
I was trying to convey that by his interpetation, something along the lines of Warhawk or Folkore would be described as truly horrible. It wasn't conveyed very clearly, and that was my fault.

I will say this about Warhawk. I think the commercials have really helped. It was hovering aorund 275k for a bit, but has had a pretty good jump since then. I hope it reaches around 700k one day, but that will be a long time if it ever happens.

Tieno

So the weekend is over and I'm back at Uni, it was my last gaming weekend till after my exams (28th jan). My mom just e-mailed me Uncharted arrived >_<

nofi

Tieno said:
So the weekend is over and I'm back at Uni, it was my last gaming weekend till after my exams (28th jan). My mom just e-mailed me Uncharted arrived >_<

I wouldn't bother, it only got 4/4.

The Chef

wotter said:
Some pics I took today, really beautiful game, too bad my camera isn't that good.

Nice pics. I cant get enough of that submarine.
Next time take your pics with all the lights off and the camera flash off too

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Woot finally money to spend and got the game online Today! It will arrive in 5 days cannot wait to tackle this game at least 4 times! :D :D :D

Dibbz

Game is so bad ass. I'll take some pics tonite, if I can get my bro off it. :/

So far this game has been fantastic. Story, characters and script are all amazingly well done. I expected it to be a nice game but not this good. I just want to claw my way back into the game right now.

Only problem so far for me is the floatyness of Drake. Nothing game breaking but after Creed I've been kinda spoilt.

I love the way that you can't just sit tight and wait for enemies to retardedly pop over cover. They falnk and throw grenades, meaning you either move around them or die. It's awesome. :D

Someone needs to get a great shot(That means you NIB!) of when your swimming over to the plane and Nate is just floating in the water for a second oh my sweet lord the water looks so amazing.

Kittonwy

Banned
webshark said:
this might have already been asked, but can you disable the sixaxis motion for this game?

You can aim your blind-throw without using the sixaxis. I find the log-balancing very well executed, I don't know why people hate the motion stuff so much even when it's implemented well.

mxz

This game does so many things right. It's cheesy, but in a good Indiana Jones way. The only thing that I'm not a big fan of - the shooting. After AC it just feels awkward and stiff. The way enemies react when you hit them, the sound of the guns make you feel like you're shooting toy guns. That and I guess they only captured a couple of death animations, those keep repeating all over.

mxz said:
the shooting. After AC it just feels awkward and stiff.

Saywhatnow?

the sound of the guns make you feel like you're shooting toy guns.

Hmm, how far have you gotten in the game? The default 9mm sounds kinda cheap, and the AK47 isn't so hot. But the DE, M4, the Beretta? Shit the Beretta sounded so good I didn't even bother with other weapons in the game for awhile, even if it made sense to!

Basch

WinFonda said:
Interesting fact: The guy who voices Nathan Drake also voices Vossler in FF12.

Interesting Fact: He voices like ten million other videogame characters as well. :D But, yeah, that is pretty cool. I think he really is a great voice actor: one of the best. Hey, you should go read that interview up on IGN, its good stuff and I think a lot of people missed out on it.

Oh, yeah. I just posted the Post Mortem for Uncharted on the PlayStation: The Official Magazine thread, but I will post it here too, for you guys... :D

PlayStation POV
Drake's Fortune Post Mortem

Evan Wells said:
Looking back over the entire production of Uncharted, there were quite a few ups and downs, and several things that went right and more than a couple of things that went wrong. While this could probably be said about the production of any videogame, we started off with one fairly unique problem that spawned several of the issues that we ran into down the line. However, through the hard work of an incredibly talented team, we were able to turn those issues around and ended up in a position that leaves Naughty Dog in an even stronger position than I could have hoped for.

The initial issue that I'm talking about is that when we moved from the PlayStation 2 to the PlayStation 3, we started with NOTHING! At Naughty Dog we had been programming in our own internally developed programming language called GOAL. It was a Lisp-based language and it was a great environment for game development that allowed for very rapid iteration times. However, when transitioning to the PS3, we knew that we wanted to do a lot more sharing of technology between all of the Sony first party teams, so we had to switch to the industry standard of C++. This meant throwing out all of our old game code and starting every last system from scratch. As you can imagine, it took a lot of time to build up our code base to the point that we could even start prototyping gameplay.

Since we were starting our game code from scratch, I guess we thought it was a good idea to start our tools from scratch as well. This was simply a huge mistake. Anticipating the large increase in size and complexity of next-gen assets, we over-designed our tools and ended up creating a pipeline that was too difficult to use and incredibly unreliable. About ten months into full production, we decided to abandon our new and "improved" pipeline completely, and ended up going back to a system much more similar to the way we were doing things in the past. This ended up being the single biggest improvement we made to production all project long.

Of course, not to over-emphasize the mistakes, we also did a lot of things right. One of the biggest and most important things that we did was to keep our development fluid and flexible. What that means is that we didn't hang onto ideas just because they were in our original design documents. If things weren't working in the game, we would either cut the feature, or stress another area of the game that was working.

Finally, the most important ingredient in the development of Uncharted was the team. We have very rigorous hiring practices at Naughty Dog and we only want the very best talent in the industry. This allows us to keep a relatively small team, since everybody is self motivated and extremely artistic (even the programmers!). Once all the technology was in place and the team was firing on all cylinders, it amazed me week after week how much we could accomplish in a short amount of time.

All in all, Uncharted was one of the most challenging projects that Naughty Dog has ever embarked upon. Now that the game is complete, I can honestly say that it was one of the most rewarding experiences for me personally, and an accomplishment for the team that I couldn't be more proud of.

Basch

The Review Archive has been updated. I'm trying to do this less and less since most of the popular and more respected journalistic sites/magazines have already been accounted for. There are still a few left. So, hopefully, they update soon.

The average is now at a 90.73% after 73 critic media sources got their say. New contributors joining the ranks are...

British Gaming Blog 10/10
Tech2 9/10
PSM3 8.9/10
PlayStation: The Official Magazine 8/10

Now, carry on. :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Hey guys, I have an email interview coming up with either Evan Wells or someone creative at Naughty Dog. Does anyone have any good ideas for questions?

mxz said:
This game does so many things right. It's cheesy, but in a good Indiana Jones way. The only thing that I'm not a big fan of - the shooting. After AC it just feels awkward and stiff. The way enemies react when you hit them, the sound of the guns make you feel like you're shooting toy guns. That and I guess they only captured a couple of death animations, those keep repeating all over.

What?

I'm playing the game with the DTS stream working on a good 5.1 system, and the guns sound amazing.

McBacon said:
Hey guys, I have an email interview coming up with either Evan Wells or someone creative at Naughty Dog. Does anyone have any good ideas for questions?

What aspects of the core gameplay experience do they intend to expand upon, and in which way.

klee123

McBacon said:

Ask if the idea of online play modes such as co-op story mode would be considered for the sequel.

KongRudi

Banned
I think coop in Uncharted would be a bad idea, especially if they have as much platforming as there were in the first title.
If people had to get their multiplayer-fix from Naughty Dog, I'd rather have it in a different IP, like Insomniac did with Ratchet and Resistance.

A question I'd like to pose, are what kind of difference in resources does it takes to do what I tought were oldstyle textures, such as having all textures handdrawn in Zbrush, like they said in the extras of Uncharted. Compared to just taking a photograph and scanning, and what are the pro's and cons about the various techniques? :)

Is the only pro unique'ness, or are there other reasons why everything were hand-drawn?
I would think the cheapest and best result would come out of a scan,..

deepbrown

Woah amazing pics...you have a great capture card! We need more!

Oh and someone at B3D has said Uncharted is at 400k worldwide...isn't that quite impressive?

Top Bottom