• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain / Famitsu software sales for January 10th - 16th

Amir0x

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
I'm in Northern Jersey

which SEEMS to be a big gaming area, and I mean that in that just about everything semi big sells out

I mean I remember hearing stories of people finding tons of copies of Rez at their local best buy, that would never happen here

Yeah. I think Nintendo is doing a fantastic job supplying the units, though. For that they are to be commended

Amir0x said:
Yeah. I think Nintendo is doing a fantastic job supplying the units, though. For that they are to be commended

yeah I've been pretty surprised for a launch how well theyve kept the supplies coming

Odnetnin said:
fool? Please. :lol. talk about precious. do you even read GAF? fuck...c**t gets chucked around in some of the posts and no one ever moans about it.

I actually read this thread and you guys seemed to skip over Jonnyram's DS shortage post when some of you went out and called Broshnat a liar..etc al. Either way the 1k difference between DS.PSP is pretty surprising but hey they're both new and good for SONY that they're shipping enough to keep the numbers up so we don't have a SALES AGE slaughter. Doesn't matter though because this race is a 1 year event.... its too early to call anything. GO PSP though :)

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE GAME SALES NUMBER THOUGH? all this bicking about handheld numbers. Shows what' you're here for.. the mains.

a million seller between wario + mario. WM.. Nintendo is doing good with DS. The PSP attach rate seems low. DWPSP/RSPSP is only selling 180,000 LTD and selling less than the DS titles. I know PSP launched later but even now, its selling less units per game/week than DS seems to be.

go MGS3 go!!! Sell a million in Japan!!! :) Same for GT4 even though its not my cup of tea. Surprised it hasn't sold a mil yet

How will Sony make a profit on something that is putting them heavily in the red if the software numbers are much lower than DS?

Monk

Banned
You know when pokemon ds gets released, we will probably see the only worthwhile system war in the form of handhelds, unless the GBA 2 gets released a year from now.

Like the guy (jonnyram) says, the DS has had no new releases for 2 weeks, and had no decent releases since launch day. Its currently selling on momentum only.

Yoshi is out next week, then a few games start coming out in Feb/March, where the DS should start to sell again.

And Matt at IGN actually made a decent comment today on the PSP Vs DS.
In that as development prices rise for the PSP, and with games on handhelds not drawing much profit, developers will soon stop making games and bump up the ever profitable DS

I'm a big Nintendo fan and like the DS, but by April/May I think PSP will be outselling the DS in all three of the major markets (North America, Europe, Japan).

For $50 more, the difference in product you get from the DS to the PSP is just ridiculous and really I think Sony actually has the better software to go with the more stylish machine, the media functionality, the nicer display, and a full generation gap in processing power.

Nintendo really has to get some better games for the DS out that are really unique (since that's the basis of what the system is about) and fast.

DS is a product, that lets be honest, should have launched a year or more ahead of the PSP, a few months headstart is not going to make a large difference. If somehow Nintendo could have gotten DS to the market a year ago, I think it'd be comfortably ahead of the PSP with nothing to worry about and have its 2nd/3rd gen software coming out.

ki/oon

Sony, the world's second-largest consumer electronics maker, has shipped 800,000 units of the PSP in Japan since its Dec. 12 debut

800k ?? That woulk mean more than 200k PSP sitting on the shelves, right ? I guess the shortage has ended then.

Jonnyram

ki/oon said:
That woulk mean more than 200k PSP sitting on the shelves, right ? I guess the shortage has ended then.
:lol Anyone want one? I'll just pop out and pick one up.

(j/k - I'm sure there are none in shops around here)

ki/oon

Hey I'm just saying guys, not trying to spin anything^^
We know that to this day PSP sold around 570K. This Kutaragi guy says on the 20th that they shipped 800K. Either you have 230K somewhere in Japan, either Kutaragi is lying big time on the numbers. I'm not starting a flame war just pointing what I think is a valid point.

Jonnyram

It's also possible that Sony have sold a lot through their online store which may or may not have been counted by the market research companies. Either way, it's shifty.

Bebpo

Banned
ki/oon said:
800k ?? That woulk mean more than 200k PSP sitting on the shelves, right ? I guess the shortage has ended then.

psptrans.jpg

Odnetnin

Banned
gamergirly said:
How will Sony make a profit on something that is putting them heavily in the red if the software numbers are much lower than DS?

good point..

I don't really know what the hottest PSP titles out there are but off the top of my head:

RIDGERACERS
DYNASTY WARRIORS PSP
LUMINES
MINNA GOLF
MGS ACID

I think minna is the only sony published title.. so they make profits off this? As for the others, Sony will be collecting only royalty? Um... so when is GT4 PSP scheduled for release? see: other SONY titles.. if someone could post, that would be great.

duckroll

Odnetnin said:
good point..

I don't really know what the hottest PSP titles out there are but off the top of my head:

RIDGERACERS
DYNASTY WARRIORS PSP
LUMINES
MINNA GOLF
MGS ACID

I think minna is the only sony published title.. so they make profits off this? As for the others, Sony will be collecting only royalty? Um... so when is GT4 PSP scheduled for release? see: other SONY titles.. if someone could post, that would be great.

Lumines shouldn't be on any hottest of list. That game won't ever break 50k, maybe not even 40k. In fact, it sells so badly it's not even tracked anymore so we only have the first week sales of 6900 to go on.

Odnetnin

Banned
duckroll said:
Lumines shouldn't be on any hottest of list. That game won't ever break 50k, maybe not even 40k. In fact, it sells so badly it's not even tracked anymore so we only have the first week sales of 6900 to go on.

I don't know whether to cry or laugh. No shit.

duckroll

Odnetnin said:
I don't know whether to cry or laugh. No shit.

Well it gets worse! Weekly Famitsu, the "godly" Japanese magazine that is worshipped by all on GAF that don't ACTUALLY read it, gave Lumines a pathetic score of 30/40, which is the same score Armored Core Formula Front for the PSP got (the game where you tune AI and watch robots fight with zero control) and at the same time gave duds like Star Ocean 3, Devil May Cry 2 and Xenosaga Ep2 scores like 32/40. :D

So critically acclaimed? Only at GAF.
Erm, top PSP seller? Only at GAF.

It's up to you to decide if this game is actually in fact a crappy simplistic puzzle game and that we're ALL lying about it, or if Japanese mags and consumers all SUCK! :lol

Amir0x

Banned
gamergirly said:

People said the same thing about PS2 when people in Japan overlooked the games almost completely at launch in favour of the Matrix DVD :p

That said, the ratio of games the PSP is actually fairly close to that of the DS based on units sold. Similarly, Sony expects the PSP to stop bleeding money after next year so I don't think they would be too far off if the bloomberg report is true and they do sell through 10-12million in 2005.

But we'll see. Either way, I'm the consumer... I don't care if Sony makes a profit, because I'm getting a product that is a cutthroat deal :p

User Tron said:
bloomberg

End of Line

Bloomberg said:
Sony Corp. will raise monthly production of its PlayStation Portable game player to 1 million units because of rising popularity of the handheld console, said Chief Operating Officer Ken Kutaragi.

If this is true, then can we expect more than 11,000,000 units shipped in 2005? And if so, will they be able to sell through most of them to total more than 10,000,000 in the year?

This will be interesting.

duckroll

Amir0x said:
If this is true, then can we expect more than 11,000,000 units shipped in 2005? And if so, will they be able to sell through most of them to total more than 10,000,000 in the year?

This will be interesting.

Interesting for you! A difference between being and not being able to post on GAF for a month for me! :D

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Interesting for you! A difference between being and not being able to post on GAF for a month for me! :D

I will miss you for that month :( *

*If you lose. I hope you don't. Although my prediction is 9,000,000 by Jan 1 06.

Top Bottom