• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain / Famitsu software sales for January 10th - 16th

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Broshnat said:
...it's certain posters' attitudes and how they go about "supporting" their point that gets other peoples' backs up.
What, you mean like calling people idiots and fools? ;)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Broshnat said:
Well it's not the sales or the fact it's Sony and Nintendo or whatever that things get nasty, it's certain posters' attitudes and how they go about "supporting" their point that gets other peoples' backs up.

Human nature unfortunately...

How did you post that without getting struck by lightning?

Jonnyram said:
There is a DS shortage, but DCharlie hasn't even tried to buy one recently.
It even mentions the shortage on the Japanese page these charts were taken from. Both DS and PSP are in equally short supply at the moment and it looks like they are both shipping at roughly the same speed. The next big rush is predicted at the end of March, but until then we'll see an interesting tussle between the two handhelds.

I'm not taking sides but I think this post highlights that there is a DS shortage in Japan (mentioned on the page where the sales numbers are apparently).

I think it's good that they are both doing well. I don't buy into the argument that the PSP would sell 90 trillion a second if they were on the shelves or that the DS is going to get pounded once shipments of the PSP climb - I think the DS has proved itself to be popular enough off it's own back to continue selling strongly in both markets through the year despite a lack of worthwhile software so far. Still, I want to see the PSP succeed as well as the DS not one at the expense of the other (which, idiotically, some people here seem to be aiming for). So far, the software side on both machines sucks actually so hopefully that picks up and they both carve a successful market.

Anyway, carry on.

Broshnat

Banned
kaching said:
What, you mean like calling people idiots and fools? ;)

Well some people leave me speechless by the utter shite they post. Honestly, do they think before clicking "submit"?

If you actually look back, here's how it started:

Originally Posted by Broshnat:
Exactly. Both systems are suffering shortages right now. In fact by the looks of things, PSP saw some shipments last week and I'm not sure if DS did.

I don't think so.

Quote:
DCharlie
Welcome!!!! To the WHITE HOUSE!!!
(Today, 02:05 PM)
Reply | Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You can apply the same shortage reasoning to the DS, if there were 10 million DS's out there, do you think they wouldn't all sell out still?"

i don't think you can make the comparison as easily - i can walk into pretty much any store and buy a DS. You have been able to do this pretty much since the day of launch. You might have had to go around 2 or 3 stores, but you could find a unit if you want one.

The PSP has been a totally different story (i.e. : it's actually a bit of a fuck up for Sony, and a lesson in how to handle a launch dished out by Nintendo) lots of people looking for units, but there just isn't any.

So I make a sarcastic comment that we should just take the fact that one person can find a DS in one in 3 stores and no PSPs to indicate that one is sold out and the other isn't when any logical person would conclude that since you have to travel to 2-3 stores to find a DS it too is also running short in supply, then I get accused of saying they are not "trustworthy"

It's not how trustworthy they are that is a problem, it's how dumb people interperet the information that worries me.

I was being quite nice and civil until that point at which point I replied with a sarcastic "fool" comment (as I have done a number of times in the past and been told it's almost becoming a catchphrase- so therefore for comic effect and not really much else) and then get threatened and have the T&C thrown at me!! :lol

Broshnat

Banned
lochnesssnowman said:
I'm not taking sides but I think this post highlights that there is a DS shortage in Japan (mentioned on the page where the sales numbers are apparently).

I think it's good that they are both doing well. I don't buy into the argument that the PSP would sell 90 trillion a second if they were on the shelves or that the DS is going to get pounded once shipments of the PSP climb - I think the DS has proved itself to be popular enough off it's own back to continue selling strongly in both markets through the year despite a lack of worthwhile software so far. Still, I want to see the PSP succeed as well as the DS not one at the expense of the other (which, idiotically, some people here seem to be aiming for). So far, the software side on both machines sucks actually so hopefully that picks up and they both carve a successful market.

Anyway, carry on.

The most sensible post I've read for a long long time :)

Insertia

GBA has been getting throttled. Are there shortages for it too? :p

But seriously, just two months ago it was said that GBA would continue to be in a league of its own while lowly PSP and DS would be scrapping for marketshare. WRONG.
Looks like GBA is being phased out.

Broshnat

Banned
Insertia said:

But seriously, just two months ago it was said that GBA would continue to be in a league of its own while lowly PSP and DS would be scrapping for marketshare. WRONG.

I'd agree to an extent, but it was a pretty weak xmas game-wise.

PS2 had:

DQ VIII
MGS3
GT4
Tales of Rebirth
Itadaki Street Special
Z Gundam
Daito Pachislot

DS had:

Sawaru
Mario 64
Pokemon Dash

What did GBA have?
Rockman EXE 5 and Yoshi (and a good boost to Mawaru and Pokemon Emerald Sales).

The GBA will drop away in Japan by the looks of things, but expect the PS2 to now also slip away. It had a great lineup over xmas and a new model, DQVIII etc. In 6 months I'd expect DS and PSP to be a fair cut above everything else.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Culex said:
Since all these PSP lovers seem to think a great milestone has passed, lets make a bet.

I'm betting the DS will outsell the PSP again next week. If it doesn't you can ban me for a month.

Goddamit I am always late to the good parties!

I'll bet what Culex is betting too, BTW. With the caviat that my ban will only be for a week. If (by some strange act of God or Buddah) the PSP does manage to outsell the NDS next week, we couldn't have the PSP fanboys celebrating for an entire month without some kind of CBM intervention, now. :)

Insertia said:

I still think it's way too early to see how it will all play out. They've been out 1-2 months and haven't finished sating launch demand; of course they're getting the bulk of attention for now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
And to be fair, I'd imagine that orders for the GBA have gone down since the NDS's release, and production has probably begun to shift in favor of the NDS, so there are probably less GBA's being made as well.

Those are just guesses, though.

Broshnat

Banned
Cruel Bastard Mario said:
And to be fair, I'd imagine that orders for the GBA have gone down since the NDS's release, and production has probably begun to shift in favor of the NDS, so there are probably less GBA's being made as well.

Those are just guesses, though.

Sound like quite reasonable guesses to me...

Makes good business sense really.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Broshnat said:
Well some people leave me speechless by the utter shite they post.
Apparently, not that speechless.

...then I get accused of saying they are not "trustworthy"
Where did you get accused? Izzy asked you if you were calling DC untrustworthy or Bebpo a liar. And whether you thought there was an implicit accusation or not, that didn't mean you had to resort to sarcastic namecalling. You could have simply continued to address why you thought his thinking was wrong, in a civil manner. It's not as if you haven't been similarly belligerent in other recent sales threads.

It's not how trustworthy they are that is a problem, it's how dumb people interperet the information that worries me.
Dismissing out of hand isn't any better. Japan is a country just a little smaller than California. That has to be factored in, since distribution problems are likely to be much smaller issues than if we were talking about country the size of the US. So if multiple people report from Japan that DSes are sitting on the shelf significantly longer than PSPs are then you'd have to put more weight on those accounts as representative of the country as a whole than you would if it were the same amount of reports from one state in the US.

Broshnat

Banned
kaching said:
Apparently, not that speechless.

Where did you get accused? Izzy asked you if you were calling DC untrustworthy or Bebpo a liar. And whether you thought there was an implicit accusation or not, that didn't mean you had to resort to sarcastic namecalling. You could have simply continued to address why you thought his thinking was wrong, in a civil manner. It's not as if you haven't been similarly belligerent in other recent sales threads.

Dismissing out of hand isn't any better. Japan is a country just a little smaller than California. That has to be factored in, since distribution problems are likely to be much smaller issues than if we were talking about country the size of the US. So if multiple people report from Japan that DSes are sitting on the shelf significantly longer than PSPs are then you'd have to put more weight on those accounts as representative of the country as a whole than you would if it were the same amount of reports from one state in the US.

Think your tag says it all.

Apparently not that speechless - enough that "fool" is about the best reply I have to such moronic pap.

The accusations were rather more than just implicit

And read back over the rest of the thread and the other one about PSP sales. Your California / Japan comparison is a waste of time and the point about 2 people say few DSs about == lots of DS shipments and no PSP is garbage.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Such attitude...Really, its the way you go about supporting YOUR points that gets people's backs up :)

I'd love for you to actually refute what I said rather than use my tag as a crutch.

Edit: I see you've made a halfhearted attempt to actually refute it. Keep trying.

Broshnat

Banned
kaching said:
Such attitude...Really, its the way you go about supporting YOUR points that gets people's backs up :)

I'd love for you to actually refute what I said rather than use my tag as a crutch.

Edit: I see you've made a halfhearted attempt to actually refute it. Keep trying.

I think I've finished !!

Razoric

Banned
I think what's more important is people are slowly coming to the realization that PSP will not be going the way of the Game Gear or Lynx. Whether it beats Nintendo's handheld hold on the market is yet to be seen but you can't blow it off anymore... especially when it's released over here with GTA. Nintendo's monopoly = bye bye. :)

Odnetnin

Banned
Izzy said:
TOS

. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use the Gaming Age Forums to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that cursing be held to a minimum, as it does not promote civil conversation. Foul language in the form of insults directed towards other forum members may result in a ban.

fool? Please. :lol. talk about precious. do you even read GAF? fuck...c**t gets chucked around in some of the posts and no one ever moans about it.

I actually read this thread and you guys seemed to skip over Jonnyram's DS shortage post when some of you went out and called Broshnat a liar..etc al. Either way the 1k difference between DS.PSP is pretty surprising but hey they're both new and good for SONY that they're shipping enough to keep the numbers up so we don't have a SALES AGE slaughter. Doesn't matter though because this race is a 1 year event.... its too early to call anything. GO PSP though :)

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE GAME SALES NUMBER THOUGH? all this bicking about handheld numbers. Shows what' you're here for.. the mains.

cja said:
1. Mario Party GBA -- 73,000
2. Gran Turismo 4 -- 66,000 (891,000)
3. Story of Hero Yoshitsune -- 40,000
4. Warioware Sawaru -- 32,000 (577,000)
5. DQ and FF in Itadaki Street Special -- 30,000 (307,000)
6. Super Mario 64 DS -- 27,000 (560,000)
7. Dragon Quest 8 -- 22,000 (3,406,000)
8. Everybodys Golf Portable -- 20,000 (227,000)
9. Metal Gear Solid 3 -- 19,000 (760,000)
10. Daito Pachislot Simulator -- 18,000 (346,000)
11. Goldeneye: Rogue Agent -- 18,000
12. Tales of the World 3 -- 17,000 (85,000)
13. Ridge Racers -- 15,000 (185,000)
14. Rockman EXE 5 Blue -- 14,000 (311,000)
15. Pokemon Emerald -- 14,000 (1,419,000)
16. Mario Party 6 -- 13,000 (476,000)
17. Naruto 3 -- 12,000 (349,000)
18. Dynasty Warriors PSP -- 12,000 (180,000)
19. Tales of Rebirth -- 12,000 (539,000)
20. Piposaru Academy -- 11,000 (51,000)

Usual source.

a million seller between wario + mario. WM.. Nintendo is doing good with DS. The PSP attach rate seems low. DWPSP/RSPSP is only selling 180,000 LTD and selling less than the DS titles. I know PSP launched later but even now, its selling less units per game/week than DS seems to be.

go MGS3 go!!! Sell a million in Japan!!! :) Same for GT4 even though its not my cup of tea. Surprised it hasn't sold a mil yet

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"So I make a sarcastic comment that we should just take the fact that one person can find a DS in one in 3 stores and no PSPs to indicate that one is sold out and the other isn't when any logical person would conclude that since you have to travel to 2-3 stores to find a DS it too is also running short in supply, then I get accused of saying they are not "trustworthy""

Um... i didn't realise that you were being sarcastic.

Anyways, i'm talking about a WORST case scenario of possibly having going to 2-3 stores if there are no DS's. I've seen signs saying the DS was sold out once and that was at they were at the odd store. I know Jonnyram well, and he knows my shopping habits well too and i can assure him and you that the following is true as per what i've seen, if anecdotal :

1. Toritsu Daigaku : Chameleon Club - DS constantly in stock, PSP sold out.
2. Toritsu Daigaku : Small local store - DS occassionally sold out, PSP sold out.
3. Shibuya : Tsutaya - DS constantly in stock, PSP there occassionally
4. Shibuya : Bic Camera (Small) - DS constantly in stock, PSP there on launch, not seen since
5. Shibuya : Bic Camera (large) - DS constantly in stock, PSP there on launch, not seen since
6. Shinjuku : *the place near stussy(Yodobashi not sure?)* - DS sold out on one occassion, PSP sold out
7. Akihabara : Sofmap - DS constantly in stock, PSP there on three occassions (most prolific store to date)
8. Akihabara : Lamatara - DS constantly in stock, PSP there on one occassion
9. Akihabara : Yamagiwa - DS constantly in stock, PSP sold out
10. Akihabara : Traders 1 & 2 (second hand) - DS constantly in stock, PSP constantly in stock at stupid prices
11. Akihabara : Laox (only one still under this name, but actually Asobit) - DS Constantly in stock, PSP in stock once
12. Akihabara : Messe Sanoh - DS constantly in stock, PSP sold out
13. Akihabara : Tokyo ??? near the station - DS constantly in stock, PSP there once
14. Akihabara : Medialand - DS constantly in stock, PSP sold out
15. Akihabara : Liberty - second hand (Large) - DS sold out once, PSP always there at stupid prices

.. i'm sure there are more stores that i'm forgetting, but they'll pop up later and i'm sure you can see where the pattern is heading anyways.

I dunno - i keep hearing about the DS shortage, and i've just not seen any evidence that suggests this is the case. I thought that nintendo have apparently shipped 2 million units here, and given sales are now at 1.5 million, then... um... if those shipping numbers are true i don't see the big mystery as to why the units are abundantly available. I'll be hitting up Aki again no doubt at the weekend, and i'm pretty sure that i'll see the same - granted that the new release of PSP's is on a Thursday... thing is, if that's true, that still means they are all gone by Saturday (besides the odd few).

As Jonnyram says, i've not been looking to buy DS's and i've got the games already, but i still see the sales rack for them. Perhaps i'm not looking hard enough and there are small sold out stickers on them, but i'm 99% that they aren't.

Spike

Why is it so hard to believe that both systems can survive and prosper in the market? If they both offer different enough experiences, they'll both succeed. Why does it always have to be one or the other?

Amir0x

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Funny how the DS isn't plentiful in the U.S. (unlike Japan), similar to how the PSP isn't plentiful in Japan.

I haven't been to all stores across the nation, but nearly every store by me has many, MANY DS at this point.

Anecdotal, of course, but I guess it depends where you live. Lots of stores in NYC had them in stock, they're available in NJ and PA because I've visited many stores in those respective states in the past two weeks.

Tabris

Yamauchi said:
GCN am dead, PSP take 2-3 years to even DS at current rate.

It just evened on weekly sales. So since the current rate is basically 1:1, and DS is ahead currently, using your comment, it will never even.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Broshnat: You need to chill a bit with your 'catchphrases', or you won't be around to ban in January. Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet where you have to be a little clearer when you're being sarcastic. And remember that it is not the case that everyone who disagrees with you is a fool.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
As for DS vs PSP sales, wake me up when both systems have sufficient supply that you can find stacks of them in any gaming shop you walk into worldwide.

Broshnat

Banned
iapetus said:
Broshnat: You need to chill a bit with your 'catchphrases', or you won't be around to ban in January. Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet where you have to be a little clearer when you're being sarcastic. And remember that it is not the case that everyone who disagrees with you is a fool.

fool
n. One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
... of course, you are basing your prefered acceptance of what is going on in the Japanese market on what exactly?

GDGF

Soothsayer
You should probably chill out for a bit, Broshnat. Iapetus seems a little trigger happy, and I'd hate to see ya go. I need someone backing me up in threads like this :)

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
... of course, you are basing your prefered acceptance of what is going on in the Japanese market on what exactly?

On the fact that if it's Nintendo he must have a positive outlook, and that if it's Sony he has to have a more conservative outlook. :p

GCN for 350k-400k in January! :D

j/k Broshnat <3

GDGF

Soothsayer
:lol Well, if me and some of the other NDS guys are wrong about next week's Japan sales, you'll have a whole lot of banning to do!

Maybe we should have a massive poll. Will the PSP sell more than 10 million by the end of 2005? Yes or no. Then divide the forum up into the winners and the loser forums. People in the loser forum would only be allowed in there. People in the winner forum would be allowed in both, and could troll/insult the losers as much as they wanted without getting banned.

Amir0x

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
Maybe we should have a massive poll. Will the PSP sell more than 10 million by the end of 2005? Yes or no. Then divide the forum up into the winners and the loser forums. People in the loser forum would only be allowed in there. People in the winner forum would be allowed in both, and could troll/insult the losers as much as they wanted without getting banned.

Honestly, this is a brilliant idea. :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
Amir0x said:
Honestly, this is a brilliant idea. :p

That would change the forum a bit too much for the admin's liking, I would assume. It would be cool if we had winners and losers tags, though. Maybe the winners could have a troll week or something where they were allowed to completely thrash on the losers. That'd be interesting :)

Amir0x

Banned
That would change the forum a bit too much for the admin's liking, I would assume. It would be cool if we had winners and losers tags, though. Maybe the winners could have a troll week or something where they were allowed to completely thrash on the losers. That'd be interesting :)

Yeah, probably. But I'm all about lightening the mood of the forums, because it makes everyone smile even if you're in the "loser" column :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
:lol

We should really do something like this, though. This is the most interesting system war I've seen since Genny vs. Sness. We need to up the ante around the forum to match!

Amir0x

Banned
:lol

We should really do something like this, though. This is the most interesting system war I've seen since Genny vs. Sness. We need to up the ante around the forum to match!

I made a picture about system wars in another thread, and it's oddly appropriate for this because it IS a very interesting war. Imagine if Microsoft joins the handheld fray? Jesus.

WhichCamp2008.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nice pic!

Yeah if Microsoft joined in, all gloves would be off! It would be crazy around here. They'd probably have to start a new topic forum, so the console stuff wouldn't drown.

Amir0x

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
^Nice drawing! :D

*places in PSP*

I'm going to make my own tent in the middle of all the camps and name it the "$oNega camp" (where $ = Microsoft, $+o = Sony, N = Nintendo, ega = Sega) and then everyone will throw tomatoes at me :(

Jonnyram

When all's said and done, for a new machine to be selling 50-60k at a time when no new software has gone on sale for the past two weeks, I'd say it's doing pretty well. May the PSP and DS coexist peacefully :D

Amir0x

Banned
Kiriku said:
Is the factory in the background building nuclear warheads? It looks suspicious.

It's got a few hooks up its sleeve. It's about to launch the Gizmondo warhead. Its Tapwave Zodiac warhead made few waves.

Amir0x said:
I haven't been to all stores across the nation, but nearly every store by me has many, MANY DS at this point.

Anecdotal, of course, but I guess it depends where you live. Lots of stores in NYC had them in stock, they're available in NJ and PA because I've visited many stores in those respective states in the past two weeks.

I live in Jersey, was in a Toys R Us the other day they had about 30 DS's was back there 2 days later and they had No DS's and none of the Gamestops or EBs seem to have any DS's when I go by it's all in when you visit a store

Shin Johnpv said:
I live in Jersey, was in a Toys R Us the other day they had about 30 DS's was back there 2 days later and they had No DS's and none of the Gamestops or EBs seem to have any DS's when I go by it's all in when you visit a store

Breathe!!

Amir0x

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:

The only places I ever see sell out of DS is what you mentioned - EB and Gamestops. But that was my point, anecdotal evidence will be different for everyone. It's worth noting that I go to Wal-Mart/Target nearly every day and I've never once seen them without many DS. In fact, the only time I've seen it sold out - besides at EB and Gamestop - is the week after Black Friday. Then I couldn't find DS for a week or two.

But, seperate experiences for different people. You must have gone to a different part of NJ, the one that has DS sold out every day.

I'm in Northern Jersey

which SEEMS to be a big gaming area, and I mean that in that just about everything semi big sells out

I mean I remember hearing stories of people finding tons of copies of Rez at their local best buy, that would never happen here

Top Bottom