• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

This game rocks. I'm working my way up to veteran difficulty so I can get those big multipliers. For the first time ever I'm actually considering platinuming a game. Gonna be difficult

see5harp

It's crazy the varying amount of score you can get on the first area while seemingly doing pretty much the same thing.

I'm finding a big big part of the scoring system is when you pop your overdrive (how many enemies are on the screen) and what the multiplier is at when you pop. I've seen moments on veteran where my score goes up at least 15 million points on a single overdrive. Maybe other people can confirm that statement because there are times in which I'm either not boosting or not using overdrive effectively. If you have a choice between bomb and overdrive, always use the overdrive.

I'm finding a big big part of the scoring system is when you pop your overdrive (how many enemies are on the screen) and what the multiplier is at when you pop. I've seen moments on veteran where my score goes up at least 15 million points on a single overdrive. Maybe other people can confirm that statement because there are times in which I'm either not boosting or not using overdrive effectively. If you have a choice between bomb and overdrive, always use the overdrive.

I've also found that after a bomb, I almost always kill my multiplier because it literally wipes the entire screen. With overdrive, it leaves a few enemies on the screen if you do it strategically, so you can keep your combo going.

I've also found that after a bomb, I almost always kill my multiplier because it literally wipes the entire screen. With overdrive, it leaves a few enemies on the screen if you do it strategically, so you can keep your combo going.

If you time your bombs so that the wave is past the area where something is spawning when they fully appear then you won't kill your multiplier with it. It can actually end up extending your multiplier quite well when you end up with nothing around you close enough to get to even with boost.

Overdrive is still a far better way to increase your score though despite it filling so slowly. I find bombs are best used in a reactionary manner to prevent deaths or to avoid monster spawns you find you have more trouble with then others.

I really suck at this game. On my first four rounds on the second highest difficulty, I have not been able to beat the first boss. Having said that...it's great. Maybe if it weren't free on PS+, I might have waited until it it dropped it price, but it's a really fun game that brings me lots of flashbacks of Geometry Wars and Pacman CE DX.
I'm with you man. The second boss is giving me fits currently. SSDHD was easier IMO. At least it was for me.

If you time your bombs so that the wave is past the area where something is spawning when they fully appear then you won't kill your multiplier with it. It can actually end up extending your multiplier quite well when you end up with nothing around you close enough to get to even with boost.

Overdrive is still a far better way to increase your score though despite it filling so slowly. I find bombs are best used in a reactionary manner to prevent deaths or to avoid monster spawns you find you have more trouble with then others.

Yea I can never figure out when to use Overdrive and what to do once I've used it. Do I just go in a straight line? Do I use it in front of and behind me while remaining stationary? Wave up and down while using it?

AwShucks

Yea I can never figure out when to use Overdrive and what to do once I've used it. Do I just go in a straight line? Do I use it in front of and behind me while remaining stationary? Wave up and down while using it?

I go up and down both directions then boost across the map to the other side and use it over there. That's if I have a ship with decent overdrive.

I go up and down both directions then boost across the map to the other side and use it over there. That's if I have a ship with decent overdrive.

Yea I use the Nemesis so my Overdrive really doesn't last very long. I usually go up and down, turn around, then go up and down again.

I've been using the Phobos personally because it does the most damage. It takes 4 or 5 shots to kill bigger enemies on Rookie difficulty with the Nemesis, while it only takes 1 shot with the Phobos. The enhanced mobility of the Nemesis doesn't seem to be worthwhile on Rookie setting, but maybe it's more viable on higher difficulties?

It's even more distracting on the vita. But damn is it so fun.

Also in the first planet, I believe its human 8 and 6, how do you save them?

Figured it out, you have to have the multiplier at a certain level when their turn to be freed comes up. Humanist trophy get :)

(In case anyone else was wondering :p)

I've been using the Phobos personally because it does the most damage. It takes 4 or 5 shots to kill bigger enemies on Rookie difficulty with the Nemesis, while it only takes 1 shot with the Phobos. The enhanced mobility of the Nemesis doesn't seem to be worthwhile on Rookie setting, but maybe it's more viable on higher difficulties?

How are you able to beat the 2nd boss with this ship? It's so slow against the boss. This is for Veteran difficulty.

I'm with you man. The second boss is giving me fits currently. SSDHD was easier IMO. At least it was for me.

I found that boss to be the hardest. The key for me is to hold back for the first portion and take out the targets from a distance. When it powers up beams on your side, use a turbo boost to get to the other side and try to take out the remaining target there...

The second phase is easy, just run away and boost when the bullets get too much. Be ready to close back in when it exposes the weak spots.

Honestly, switching to Phobos really helped too.

That second boss really bothers me. He just doesn't want you to hit that last weak spot in his first form, lol.

I just finished beating Master on co-op with someone. Was able to get #1 on that mode. Sent him a "good game" message. Shit got intense a few times.

Phobos all day, btw.

joesmokey

How are you able to beat the 2nd boss with this ship? It's so slow against the boss. This is for Veteran difficulty.
Go between the fireball spawners while you're trying to take out the outer ring. The second phase is a little difficult to beat without dying. I usually rely on bombs and some luck until he turns into view.

I think I might be close to giving up in trying to unlock Hero mode. I can make it to the third stage on Master in 1cc after a couple of attempts, but it's so frustrating. I can't imagine making it all the way until the end.

Game is super fun in online co op. Been playing a few games so I'm trying to squeeze more of this in.

It's fun but hard to find people that can play. If you get blown up 2 times in the first minute, it's time to change difficulty....

This game rocks. I'm working my way up to veteran difficulty so I can get those big multipliers. For the first time ever I'm actually considering platinuming a game. Gonna be difficult

Rookie is too easy, Experienced is comfortable, and Veteran is no joke

Robot Pants

Got the platinum today.
Working through master. The damn second boss is my only problem. That first phase he had is so annoying.

I've got a question: where are the gameplay videos of the top players on the leaderboard? Nobody sharing these incredible runs? I've checked youtube and have done internet searches, nothing.

Grinchy

Banned
The only reason I ever use bombs is to keep my multiplyer up if I'm in a bind. I reaally need to look more into Overdrive.

I'm not very good at the game, but I like using my overdrive for bosses. Like the first boss can be killed really fast with overdrive once you get inside.

JoeFenix

You guys.... this game.... a masterpiece... not up for Nagoshiation...

Ak8amj2.jpg

1CC Master and you activate Hero Challenge, resets you back to stage 1 with whatever lives/bombs you had left at the end of your run. Game is atleast 50% faster and the multiplier is unlocked!!!!!!!!

Got 40x multiplier and blew up when I noticed it, finished Master with 0 lives left sadly.

hahJ4BL.jpg

Incredible stuff, just WOW!!!!

Someone share some tips with this noob yea? Also what does 1cc mean? Also looking for PSN friends add RJN

What does overdrive do, exactly? What's the best way to fill our OD meter?

I'm terrible with any ship but Nemesis. What ship are you guys using to get such crazy scores? I have a feeling it's Phobos since it has such a high OD recharge.

1 Credit Clear (beat all 5 worlds without using a continue).

Overdrive slows time and produces a powerful beam that wipes out enemies for big points. The green debris left behind by destroyed enemies fills your OD meter (the lower green semi circle around your ship), so the only way to fill it is to destroy enemies... Flying nearby will suck in the green voxels. Not sure if the different ship's OD rating effects recharge rate or just power/duration.

Feel free to add me, Das_Mookid.

rabhw

Struggling badly with the last level on veteran. Phobos boost recharges too slowly, nemesis too weak, other ship is.. So so?

Any tips greatly appreciated, close to giving up :(

JoeFenix

Struggling badly with the last level on veteran. Phobos boost recharges too slowly, nemesis too weak, other ship is.. So so?

Any tips greatly appreciated, close to giving up :(

I like Ferox the best honestly. It gives you a solid overdrive, good boost capabilities and it's powerful enough to handle the later enemies.

The extra mobility really comes in handy on the higher difficulties.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized I can turn my monitor volume off, play music off my computer, and play the game with just the audio cues from the controller. It's totally playable that way!

rabhw

I like Ferox the best honestly. It gives you a solid overdrive, good boost capabilities and it's powerful enough to handle the later enemies.

The extra mobility really comes in handy on the higher difficulties.

Cool...a lot of people were posting that phobos is god tier but I am finding it too slow , I don't think I've mastered the game enough to use phobos in late game veteran...

I don't know if I'm missing something or just bad but why in the blue hell do humans die for no reason? We kill all the keepers immediately and out of nowhere one dies. Someone teach my their ways.

Raxus

Cool...a lot of people were posting that phobos is god tier but I am finding it too slow , I don't think I've mastered the game enough to use phobos in late game veteran...

I hate phobos. Way too slow which only hurts it when you get to the later bosses and need that extra mobility (dat last boss 0.0)

Ferrox is great once you have all the tools at your disposal. Once you get used to 'beats' in the levels you know when to use certain items. I really love Nemesis but the weakness of his shots kills him late game and no amount of mobility can make up for that.

I don't know if I'm missing something or just bad but why in the blue hell do humans die for no reason? We kill all the keepers immediately and out of nowhere one dies. Someone teach my their ways.
Certain humans can only be rescued if you have your multiplier to a certain level during a particular beat.

Humans also die if they get abducted or fall to their death when you die or just float to oblivion if you don't save them during a boss fight.

Grinchy

Banned

Ak8amj2.jpg

1CC Master and you activate Hero Challenge, resets you back to stage 1 with whatever lives/bombs you had left at the end of your run. Game is atleast 50% faster and the multiplier is unlocked!!!!!!!!

Got 40x multiplier and blew up when I noticed it, finished Master with 0 lives left sadly.

hahJ4BL.jpg

Wow, that is insane. You might be too good at this game, btw.

JoeFenix

Some humans can only be saved by having a high enough multiplier, basically try to never drop your combo and you'll release them.

Just sitting down for a long session on my newly arrived PS4. HOLY SHIT @ RESOGUN. Blew my mind when I finally saw it live on the Plasma @ 1080p x 60fps. This game has me hooked.

Already tried it on Remote Play and that worked flawlessly. Loving every single thing about the PS4 right now. Looks sexy as hell standing vertical next to the TV. This thing is whisper quiet and I just installed Black Flag and maybe waited 5 seconds before being able to start it up. Holy shit this system man.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

holy shit you must be incredible. im struggling on the last boss of veteran using phobos

Pixels

Ak8amj2.jpg

hahJ4BL.jpg

Oh snap, you are a god at this game. Want to run me through experienced for the trophy? :p

Robot Pants

Ak8amj2.jpg

hahJ4BL.jpg

Holy shit. Hats off to Roy Harper.
Any tips for being that level 2 boss on master, Master?

Just beat Veteran. The last boss is easy if you use the under the hump trick. On his last phase (after the circles) boost right into the middle of him and stay on his bottom. His body forms an arc and you can just sit right under the arc and blast him. Stand still and shoot him till he's just about to pass over you, then boost forward so that you're under his new hump. You can kill him 100% safely without ever being in the path of a single bullet and no chance of dying.

You still have to reach his last phase, of course.

Top Bottom