• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

JoeFenix

I decided to give Phobos another try since people were asking which ship was the best and I have to say it's atleast twice as easy to play the game with Phobos.

I just didn't like the slow feel of it when I wasn't used to the game but I just demolished my score and got to Hero mode again on my second attempt. It's incredibly powerful, the game goes by twice as fast just because you're killing the big enemies so much faster than with Ferox.

Ended up with 192 million on Hero and got the multiplier as high as 58x. Bananas!

NateDrake

Just beat Veteran. The last boss is easy if you use the under the hump trick. On his last phase (after the circles) boost right into the middle of him and stay on his bottom. His body forms an arc and you can just sit right under the arc and blast him. Stand still and shoot him till he's just about to pass over you, then boost forward so that you're under his new hump. You can kill him 100% safely without ever being in the path of a single bullet and no chance of dying.

You still have to reach his last phase, of course.
I have trouble with the second phase - the arcs and holes. Any tips? Do bombs or overdrive do any damage to this enemy in the first two phases?

Just beat Veteran. The last boss is easy if you use the under the hump trick. On his last phase (after the circles) boost right into the middle of him and stay on his bottom. His body forms an arc and you can just sit right under the arc and blast him. Stand still and shoot him till he's just about to pass over you, then boost forward so that you're under his new hump. You can kill him 100% safely without ever being in the path of a single bullet and no chance of dying.

You still have to reach his last phase, of course.

I did that to kill him the first time I made it to the last boss. I thought that was the standard way, not a trick!

I decided to give Phobos another try since people were asking which ship was the best and I have to say it's atleast twice as easy to play the game with Phobos.

I just didn't like the slow feel of it when I wasn't used to the game but I just demolished my score and got to Hero mode again on my second attempt. It's incredibly powerful, the game goes by twice as fast just because you're killing the big enemies so much faster than with Ferox.

Ended up with 192 million on Hero and got the multiplier as high as 58x. Bananas!

Damn it I was happier with your previous post about NOT using Phobos. I suck with that ship. It's(I'm) too slow.

You guys.... this game.... a masterpiece... not up for Nagoshiation...

Ak8amj2.jpg

1CC Master and you activate Hero Challenge, resets you back to stage 1 with whatever lives/bombs you had left at the end of your run. Game is atleast 50% faster and the multiplier is unlocked!!!!!!!!

Got 40x multiplier and blew up when I noticed it, finished Master with 0 lives left sadly.

hahJ4BL.jpg

Incredible stuff, just WOW!!!!

If you want to do Hero a second time, do you have to 1CC master all over again?

I have trouble with the second phase - the arcs and holes. Any tips? Do bombs or overdrive do any damage to this enemy in the first two phases?

The holes are the third phase right? First phase is he just flies at you and doesn't shoot anything. Second phase is the vertical columns. Third phase is holes all over the map.

If you're talking about the third phase, I'm not sure if this works for other ships since Nemesis has very high Boost regeneration rate, but what I do with Nemesis is just keep moving backwards and diagonally up / down as much as I can to avoid the holes. If there's one that I know I can't avoid, I just tap boost to go backwards a little faster. Repeat this until the phase is over. I'd say it's about 80% safe. 20% of the time you're going to get unlucky and boost will be down.

JoeFenix

If you want to do Hero a second time, do you have to 1CC master all over again?

Yes, it's essentially a new game+ with turbo mode and unlocked multiplier. I also noticed that the revenge bullets are faster and might even be bigger on Hero mode.

It's alot harder but the potential for high scores is ridiculous. It's a really cool way to handle end game content for this type of game!

JoeFenix

Tommorow I'll work on something, going to bed now.

I'm still seeing voxels when I close my eyes. It looks like I got a really bad case of Retinal Resoburn hah!

NateDrake

The holes are the third phase right? First phase is he just flies at you and doesn't shoot anything. Second phase is the vertical columns. Third phase is holes all over the map.

If you're talking about the third phase, I'm not sure if this works for other ships since Nemesis has very high Boost regeneration rate, but what I do with Nemesis is just keep moving backwards and diagonally up / down as much as I can to avoid the holes. If there's one that I know I can't avoid, I just tap boost to go backwards a little faster. Repeat this until the phase is over. I'd say it's about 80% safe. 20% of the time you're going to get unlucky and boost will be down.

I'll give it a try. The columns are terrible, also. I usually avoid them by random shooting and boosting.

Just got my platinum trophy. Absolutely amazing game, and I agree Phobos is where its at. A single tap of the boost is enough to put you out of harms reach on most bosses including the last boss and doesn't take long to recover from it, just keep tapping it as it becomes available.

The other ships just don't do enough damage so I feel the longer encounters provide more of an opportunity for me to die compared to just barely keeping out of reach with the Phobos.

FluxWaveZ

Just got my platinum trophy. Absolutely amazing game, and I agree Phobos is where its at. A single tap of the boost is enough to put you out of harms reach on most bosses including the last boss and doesn't take long to recover from it, just keep tapping it as it becomes available.

The other ships just don't do enough damage so I feel the longer encounters provide more of an opportunity for me to die compared to just barely keeping out of reach with the Phobos.

When it comes to accumulating a high score on Master, though, it seems that saving humans is a must and it's real hard to do that well with Phobos when it's a real dangerous game to use up its boost.

I'll give it a try. The columns are terrible, also. I usually avoid them by random shooting and boosting.

I do the same thing for the columns. Just keep moving backwards, occasionally pop a boost. If your boost is down just stop and maneuver between them for about 2-3 seconds, then pop another boost to get behind him again.

Edit: How do you kill the second boss on Master? He moves so damned fast. It's almost impossible to clear all his yellow spots because he actively hides them from you by rolling to the other side. I managed to kill them, but then in the next phase he moves so fast toward you that in 2 seconds flat he's run into you and you're dead, and you can't get under him or his downward laser beam will tag you. I'm using Phobos btw.

Tansut

Hot damn I just finished Mefitis on Experienced with Nemesis. That shit was driving me crazy, but of course the first time I beat it I don't die once. That weird zen state kicked in and it pulled me through.

I'm not good at all when it comes to shooters, so I'm already uploading that shit to Facebook.

For the Humanist trophy, do you have to save every human on a single playthrough? Or does it unlock as soon as you get the 5th per-planet human trophy, regardless of how they were obtained?

Pixels

For the Humanist trophy, do you have to save every human on a single playthrough? Or does it unlock as soon as you get the 5th per-planet human trophy, regardless of how they were obtained?

You can do one level at a time but I think you have to beat the boss to unlock it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the game on Veteran. What a fucking rush, wow. I faced the final boss with no lives left, and my heart was racing the whole time. I just went into zen mode and did my thing. It helped that I smoked some weed an hour ago.

Edit : It's really hard to get used to enemies firing off revenge shots when I kill them. It's awesome and fun, but just tricky to keep in mind.

What's the easiest way to get the 15x combo? It's the last one I need for the Platinum, but I can never seem to do it. I've been trying Decima on Veteran with the Nemesis, but I always die in phase 2 or break my combo. First level on Master builds combo faster, but doesn't seem to have enough enemies, and the combo breaks insanely fast.

Mondy

Banned
Europe and Australia are gonna bust this mother wide open. Don't get too comfortable in your top spots, Americans.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Wow - impressive work JoeFenix! Would love to see some video - also if you have any tips for playing this game please please share.

PS. Assume that the reader (meaning me) is absolute rubbish at this game but wants to get soooo much better.

wapplew

I wish Resogun have replay mode for show off purpose.
When I see someone score so high, I want to just click on it and watch how he did it.

Zweisy1

Sounds like Housemarque delivered once again just like I expected. Such a brilliant quality focused developer.

Cant wait to get my hands on a PS4 solely just to play this game...

Sounds like Housemarque delivered once again just like I expected. Such a brilliant quality focused developer.

Cant wait to get my hands on a PS4 solely just to play this game...

Everything about the game 'feels right.' The music, the gameplay, the sound effects, the graphics, the frame rate, the tension. It has it all dialed to 11, and the difficulty of the game has nothing to do with imprecise or sketchy gameplay but your own skill and command of the mechanics.

It is not a stretch to say Resogun is an excellent candidate to go down as modern classic.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Game is awesome but I need to read a guide on how rescuing people works. I see I need to kill the green glowers, but they don't always appear...

Also, is the ship getting perma-upgraded as I pick up powerups? The weapons seem to be.

Zweisy1

Everything about the game 'feels right.' The music, the gameplay, the sound effects, the graphics, the frame rate, the tension. It has it all dialed to 11, and the difficulty of the game has nothing to do with imprecise or sketchy gameplay but your own skill and command of the mechanics.

It is not a stretch to say Resogun is an excellent candidate to go down as modern classic.

That's good to hear. I loved SSHD and its probably in my top 3 most played PS3 games and honestly didn't expect this game to be even better but by the sounds of it that might actually be the case.

That's good to hear. I loved SSHD and its probably in my top 3 most played PS3 games and honestly didn't expect this game to be even better but by the sounds of it that might actually be the case.

In my opinion it towers over their previous efforts. I bought four retail games and received Resogun and Contrast on PS+, and its almost all I play. I cannot get enough.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

I started playing Phobos almost exclusively because of the firepower, but got a little discouraged in a coop session when I was having trouble avoiding the heat-seeker missiles from one of the bosses. Seems worth sticking with it though, based on the kind of results you're getting. Major congrats, btw.

JoeFenix
The Hero
(Today, 02:07 PM)

I had to check his name in the thread to see if the tag had been added. Sadly it hasnt. It is so desered! He will never have that formidable achievement taken away from him, being the first to place on the Hero leaderboard, so it should be recognized! GAF represent!

RyanBankz

Neo Member
Hey JoeFenix you ever think about setting up a stream??

I'd be down to watch you play and get some tips, im sure others feel the same

Top Bottom