• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

I absolutely hated Stardust for whatever reason but Resogun clicked with me instantly. Will probably go for the plat. Got 1CC tonight on my second try and cleared veteran a few nights ago.

FluxWaveZ

Share your secrets.

Ha, I wish I had some great secret technique or something. It's more like if you can keep onto your multiplier while saving humans and using Overdrive at the right moments, your score can increase exponentially and it gets to the point where I can see how people got to the top of that leaderboard that way.

Basically, the multiplier is the most important thing and must be kept at all costs.

this game is simply fantastic. the more I play the more I understand its nuances and that just makes me want to play it even more.

AmyS

I absolutely hated Stardust for whatever reason but Resogun clicked with me instantly. Will probably go for the plat. Got 1CC tonight on my second try and cleared veteran a few nights ago.

I hear ya.

I could see myself playing Resogun for PS4's entire lifecycle.

Jonboy

Cracked the top 100 last night night on experienced. Had around 61,000,000, which put me at #64 overall. Made sure to screenshot that one! Going for top 10 tonight. Then moving on to veteran.

Game is freaking incredible.

this game is simply fantastic. the more I play the more I understand its nuances and that just makes me want to play it even more.

I hear ya.

I could see myself playing Resogun for PS4's entire lifecycle.

I agree 100% with all of you. It is the stand-out darkhorse hit of the launch and demands DLC/a sequel. Have Housemarque announced anything with regard to DLC? Even a soundtrack announcement?

Jonboy

The differences between the ships are monumental. Amazing how much it changes the way you can/should play based on your selection. Shocked to see the number of top tier players saying Phobos is the best ship. I used it once and didn't really give it another thought.

Don't you miss the homing ability that comes with Nemesis? I love being able to fire at a direct line of enemies while still taking doing damage on those above/below me.

Ha, I wish I had some great secret technique or something. It's more like if you can keep onto your multiplier while saving humans and using Overdrive at the right moments, your score can increase exponentially and it gets to the point where I can see how people got to the top of that leaderboard that way.

Basically, the multiplier is the most important thing and must be kept at all costs.

So SSX 2012

JoeFenix

I very recently started messing around with video editing so I decided to have some fun with what little footage I managed to upload on my crappy internet.

There were alot of cool moments during that run that got lost because of the 15 minute limit on PS4 but for now this is what I could get.

Also had a problem with the sound but I tried my best (with my VERY limited editing skills) to make it entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCuodGKNk30

JoeFenix

Is there a benefit to using overdrive in any situations?

You're invincible during overdrive and it's the key to getting the big points.

The trick is saving it for the best scoring opportunities but sometimes you need to use it as a get out of jail free card just to be able to survive.

todahawk

Thanks, i've been starting to see that.

I just switched ships to Phobos and while nowhere near your level my high score jumped from around 2 mill to 6 mil immediately... keeping my multipler was a big part of that. Seems easier for me with Phobos and it's longer range and more powerful shots. Can't wait to play tonight, just can't put it down.

8byte

Banned
You're invincible during overdrive and it's the key to getting the big points.

The trick is saving it for the best scoring opportunities but sometimes you need to use it as a get out of jail free card just to be able to survive.

Oh sweet! So you get more points for kills with overdrive?

Jonboy

I very recently started messing around with video editing so I decided to have some fun with what little footage I managed to upload on my crappy internet.

There were alot of cool moments during that run that got lost because of the 15 minute limit on PS4 but for now this is what I could get.

Also had a problem with the sound but I tried my best (with my VERY limited editing skills) to make it entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kt54ZhtpJA
giphy.gif

todahawk

glorious, thx for sharing!

Number45

:eek:

Did you lose the multiplier because you didn't save the human?

JoeFenix

:eek:

Did you lose the multiplier because you didn't save the human?

Yes! Couldn't get that boost to recharge in time hah!

If anyone is interested in learning about the scoring system I'll be streaming at around 8PM eastern. I'll try to explain how it works (I'm sure I don't understand EVERYTHING about it yet though) and what you should try to aim for to get a high score.

I'll post the link here when I go Live.

P.S. What the hell did youtube do to my video? It added this disgusting wobble effect that definitely isn't there on my source file.... I might have to take it down and reupload it, it looks AWFUL lol!

Jonboy

If anyone is interested in learning about the scoring system I'll be streaming at around 8PM eastern. I'll try to explain how it works (I'm sure I don't understand EVERYTHING about it yet though) and what you should try to aim for to get a high score.

I'll post the link here when I go Live.
Curious about the ships and your thoughts about Phobos...

Don't you miss the homing ability that comes with Nemesis? I love being able to fire at a direct line of enemies while still taking doing damage on those above/below me.

Number45

But that's not a part of the pre-hero difficulty levels right? Interesting (and great) that they changed it up for the hardest difficulty.

P.S. What the hell did youtube do to my video? It added this disgusting wobble effect that definitely isn't there on my source file.... I might have to take it down and reupload it, it looks AWFUL lol!
Maybe it's still encoding? I've never uploaded to YT (I think I might have uploaded something direct from Noby Noby Boy at some point) so I'm not sure, but I'm sure people have mentioned that it makes some of it available while it's still processing.

JoeFenix

But that's not a part of the pre-hero difficulty levels right? Interesting (and great) that they changed it up for the hardest difficulty.

It's the same in all difficulties, I explained myself poorly.

To keep the multiplier going you have to constantly perform actions that reset the combo timer. You'll see the multiplier go from Green to Yellow to Red and then you'll lose it if you don't do anything.

Shooting any enemy, picking up a human, saving a human... all those actions reset your multiplier back to green. It only takes a couple seconds for the multiplier to go from healthy to being lost so it's a constant battle to keep it going.

The combo timer is shorter on higher difficulties and it's VERY short on Hero mode, it's quite tricky to hold on to it at that point!

The differences between the ships are monumental. Amazing how much it changes the way you can/should play based on your selection. Shocked to see the number of top tier players saying Phobos is the best ship. I used it once and didn't really give it another thought.

The homing ability is nice but that's not how you get high scores. Overdrive is garbage with the Nemesis and its one of the largest providers of score. As someone else said its all about keeping your multiplier (first and foremost), saving all humans, and using overdrive at the right times. The Phobos' overdrive lasts quite a bit longer than the Nemesis and I think it charges faster as well.

Jonboy

The homing ability is nice but that's not how you get high scores. Overdrive is garbage with the Nemesis and its one of the largest providers of score. As someone else said its all about keeping your multiplier (first and foremost), saving all humans, and using overdrive at the right times. The Phobos' overdrive lasts quite a bit longer than the Nemesis and I think it charges faster as well.
Interesting. I cracked top 75 with Nemesis on Experienced. I need to test this further on veteran to see if it's truly not feasible to use Nemesis and be top-tier. I will say the Nemesis is really tough to use on the bosses. It takes forever to wear them down.

JoeFenix

Interesting. I cracked top 75 with Nemesis on Experienced. I need to test this further on veteran to see if it's truly not feasible to use Nemesis and be top-tier. I will say the Nemesis is really tough to use on the bosses. It takes forever to wear them down.

Unless there's a part of the scoring system that I don't know about yet I really don't think Nemesis can compete in terms of scoring. Overdrive is essential to getting the big points and Nemesis has a terrible Overdrive.

It also gets quite difficult to kill the later enemies on higher difficulties with Nemesis, it's just too weak. Boosting through them is your best bet but that can put you in bad situations.

Will this streaming be available through my PS4? I've not messed with that feature too much yet.

Jonboy

Unless there's a part of the scoring system that I don't know about yet I really don't think Nemesis can compete in terms of scoring. Overdrive is essential to getting the big points and Nemesis has a terrible Overdrive.

It also gets quite difficult to kill the later enemies on higher difficulties with Nemesis, it's just too weak. Boosting through them is your best bet but that can put you in bad situations.
Nice info. Can't wait to get home and test it out more. I feel like I learn something else about the game every time I play. I didn't realize overdrive had that much of an impact on scores. Honestly, I've been saving it for the bosses most of the time.

I'll see what kind of high scores I can pull with Nemesis on Veteran and then try to get familiar with Phobos on Experienced (and see how that compares to my high scores with Nemesis on Exp).

It should be yes.

I think it's in the Live from Playstation section, just search for the name of my stream when it goes up and you can watch from there.
Awesome! I presume your username will be the exact same as it is here on NeoGAF? I don't know if I am more excited to see you play or that I can actually see you play through my PS4. Haha!

todahawk

That's what I do when I play Nemesis... boost through the tough enemies. Can't believe how much stronger the Phobos shot power is though. I miss the agility but the Phobos makes me a bit more deliberate and careful. Gonna stick with it for awhile.

Number45

It's the same in all difficulties, I explained myself poorly.

To keep the multiplier going you have to constantly perform actions that reset the combo timer. You'll see the multiplier go from Green to Yellow to Red and then you'll lose it if you don't do anything.

Shooting any enemy, picking up a human, saving a human... all those actions reset your multiplier back to green. It only takes a couple seconds for the multiplier to go from healthy to being lost so it's a constant battle to keep it going.

The combo timer is shorter on higher difficulties and it's VERY short on Hero mode, it's quite tricky to hold on to it at that point!
I see. I thought it was specifically because you missed that human, but yeah I understand how the multiplier builds. :)

JoeFenix

That's what I do when I play Nemesis... boost through the tough enemies. Can't believe how much stronger the Phobos shot power is though. I miss the agility but the Phobos makes me a bit more deliberate and careful. Gonna stick with it for awhile.

That's cool, please don't take my word as the final answer though. I haven't played with Nemesis nearly enough to be able to definitively state that you can't compete with it.

Game is new, so much to learn still!

Yea it doesn't seem like it is due to overdrive. Once you kill a giant group of guys with it you will see how much of a difference it makes in points, its ridiculous haha. Agreed on the bosses. I used the Nemesis to get my 1CC trophy on Experienced (its so nice having all that boost) but bosses took forever! Now trying to beat Veteran and unlock Master.

Edit: Reuploading the video because youtube decided that it would look better with a ridiculous wobble effect for some reason....

Thanks for sharing!! Its cool to get a glimpse of Hero mode since I doubt I will ever get there haha :)

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, I wish I didn't wait so long to try Phobos. I was only looking at the 3 stat bars when I started the game. I had no idea that there were other attributes to the ships. I didn't seem to use a lot of overdrive when I started, so I stuck with the fast, agile ship with no overdrive ability.

Phobos is so much better.

Gaston

Just got my platinum trophy in this game! It is so well made and so fun. Now to try to beat all of these Master levels... do not see that happening anytime soon.

Yea it doesn't seem like it is due to overdrive. Once you kill a giant group of guys with it you will see how much of a difference it makes in points, its ridiculous haha. Agreed on the bosses. I used the Nemesis to get my 1CC trophy on Experienced (its so nice having all that boost) but bosses took forever! Now trying to beat Veteran and unlock Master.

I got the entire platinum using only Nemesis (except for the trophies to beat the other 2 games with the other ships, obviously). Bosses take forever to wear down, but you can survive forever because of how fast the ship is and how quickly your boost recharges.

todahawk

That's cool, please don't take my word as the final answer though. I haven't played with Nemesis nearly enough to be able to definitively state that you can't compete with it.

Game is new, so much to learn still!

Point taken. I was just amazed at how much better I did with the Phobos on my first try. I'm still learning the game but my high score jumped from around 2 mil to almost 7 mil.

Haven't given up on the Nemesis, I love doing almost constant short boosts and was even playing with timing/spacing my short boosts to hurt the lower level bosses.

I've never really been that good at SHMUPS but have always liked them but Resogun seems more accessible than another other I've played. I love that even before I jumped in here how I started to figure out the different conditions for saving certain humans, getting decent at boosting (love tossing humans with boost!) and then finally figuring out how awesome overdrive is. my big focus right now is working on keeping my multipler up.

Have now saved all humans on Acis, Febris and Mefitis... 43% of trophies snagged at this point. Really want to Plat this one.

BTW, thx for sharing, it's appreciated.

Is there any visual cue for when boost is recharged, or when overdrive is available besides the announcer?
Yes!
Boost is the blue semi-circle above your ship and there's a certain tone/sound that you'll hear when it's charged.
Overdrive is the creen semi-circle below your ship and you can watch it fill as you snag the green cubes from destroyed enemies.

Top Bottom