• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

I got the entire platinum using only Nemesis (except for the trophies to beat the other 2 games with the other ships, obviously). Bosses take forever to wear down, but you can survive forever because of how fast the ship is and how quickly your boost recharges.

Yea I might have to do that to get through Veteran! I love the survivability of the Nemesis... like you said the boosy recharging to quickly is really nice. Got my 15x multiplier trophy over lunch, now just need to beat the game with Ferox/Phobos and get to Master so I can beat a level of that... then gotta keep playing to get better :D

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've probably played 8 to 10 hours of this game but I still haven't even looked at the trophy list, haha. I think I'm gonna do that now and finally find out what 1CC means.

Number45

New, more interesting tip:

The Throw Human button

Some people seem confused by this one. Don't be! Throwing Humans should be a standard button in every game. What the button does is simply... ehr... throwing a human in the air. For what purpose? Well, if for example you are boosting, you can use the ship's inertia to throw the human further. That becomes really useful if you're busy fighting waves but still want to:

1) Deliver the human to next escape pods
2) Make sure the human doesn't die with you if you're about to blow up

Also, a skillful mastering of the Throw Human button allows you to juggle humans - 2 or even 3 at the time. Why in the world would you do that? To be cool, first of all, but also for score related reasons as we will explain in one of the upcoming tips.

:eek:

New, more interesting tip:

:eek:

Probably because picking up a human resets the expiration timer on your multiplier. If there's no enemies around and you're holding a human, you can throw him then catch him in the air to hold your multiplier. Good idea, never thought of that.

Number45

Probably because picking up a human resets the expiration timer on your multiplier. If there's no enemies around and you're holding a human, you can throw him then catch him in the air to hold your multiplier. Good idea, never thought of that.
Ah, that makes sense yeah.

God I can't fucking wait for next Friday. :'(

Canon

Banned
When does this leave PS Plus and become $9.99? I won't be getting my PS4 until mid-December at the earliest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I feel so inadequate; I can't beat the boss on level 2. How do you avoid his long-ass lasers? Argh
Love the game though!
You can either hug the enemy really closely and move along with it as it rotates (this is what I recommend), or you can just boost out of the long-ass laser's range.

Holy shit, when I first started playing I thought about trying to juggle humans, but I never realized there'd be such an incentive to. This game just got even more deep. :-0

You can either hug the enemy really closely and move along with it as it rotates (this is what I recommend), or you can just boost out of the long-ass laser's range.

Holy shit, when I first started playing I thought about trying to juggle humans, but I never realized there'd be such an incentive to. This game just got even more deep. :-0

Someone will have to test, but the hint mentions specifically jugglign multiple humans. So I wonder if throwing and re-catching the same human won't be sufficient. Maybe you have to catch a different human, which would explain the juggling thing.

FluxWaveZ

I'm coming for you JoeFenix, I swear.

374501_1430430890508844_929473940_n.jpg

Kunan

FINALLY got to master difficulty, and beat Acis. Feels good! Also played a few hours of co-op today, which was a total blast. So happy to finally have party chat.

Just don't know how to save people in the box...
They dead after they've just been released.
If they're dead in the box then either you didn't hit the keepers in the right order, or you missed one D:

Stantron

Yes!
Boost is the blue semi-circle above your ship and there's a certain tone/sound that you'll hear when it's charged.
Overdrive is the creen semi-circle below your ship and you can watch it fill as you snag the green cubes from destroyed enemies.
Cool thanks.

Just got rank 15 on the first level playing on Veteran. Never lost multiplier since the first enemy died. Had x14.77 at the end. I had to use my bombs a few times though. Feels good, man.

JoeFenix

Had so much fun streaming tonight!

Managed to get 377 million on my first run, was really happy about that. Got to chat with a cool dude who shall remain nameless from Housemarque and generally everyone was awesome.

If anyone here tuned in I'd just like to say thank you for watching and hope you enjoyed it or atleast learned something. I would have loved to play some more but I was totally exhausted from those 2 runs.

Good times!

joesmokey

Man the best I can do is stage 4 on Master 1cc. Stage 1 I can usually perfect (with consistent multiplier) but by Stage 2, I usually get careless and die. Stage 3 isn't too bad, though there are some hairy situations.

The humans that require a specific multiplier to get are pretty frustrating, as there are generally sections right before the end of phase 2 where you have to hunt the map for leftover enemies. This would probably be a good time to use bombs actually, since I almost always end up holding onto them.

FluxWaveZ

Man the best I can do is stage 4 on Master 1cc. Stage 1 I can usually perfect (with consistent multiplier) but by Stage 2, I usually get careless and die. Stage 3 isn't too bad, though there are some hairy situations.

You're trying to go for Hero? I might just give up Phobos for a few runs and go with Nemesis just so I can make it there myself... if I'm good enough to not be destroyed by the bosses.

joesmokey

You're trying to go for Hero? I might just give up Phobos for a few runs and go with Nemesis just so I can make it there myself... if I'm good enough to not be destroyed by the bosses.
Yes, I almost gave up but then JoeFenix kept me going :). I'll be without my PS4 next week though, so I've been trying to get the attempts in while I can.

Nemesis isn't bad, but the damage Phobos can do is too enticing to give up.

Finally reached hero mode a few moments ago. Got up to stage 2. Shit is crazy lol but I love it.

What's great is that I didn't have the 1CC trophy prior to this..so to see it pop up after I 1CC'ed master caught me by surprise, lol.

That stage 2 boss was giving me the most problems but I feel very comfortable now.

Going to take a break from going for hero mode and finish up the trophies. This game is perfect and will be played for years. Much much better than super stardust.

Thanks for the stream!

joesmokey

Well guys, I tried and had almost an amazing run. I got to Stage 5 on 1cc.

Would you believe me if I said I died 3 times on the Stage 2 boss in this run? Getting that damn last green target with Phobos...

Agreed on the bosses. I used the Nemesis to get my 1CC trophy on Experienced (its so nice having all that boost) but bosses took forever!

You can speed up boss killing with Nemesis through use of the Boost Attack shield burst. Definitely takes some practice to use it on bosses though without getting yourself killed.

JoeFenix

I'm just speculating here but I think they were going for "tension" as a general theme for this game.

Shields give you a brief feeling of security but the fact that you know they won't be around for long means you're going to go right back into feeling threatened.

I personally like it.

Just hit 177 million on Master but couldn't beat my Hero mode score. Still improving and there's a long way to go, I'm constantly learning new tricks!

socialQ

Banned
Are they going to patch in 3D mode? I loved SSDHD3D and this in 3D would be amazing. Friend kept asking me if they was in 3D.

I love it so much. I can't believe HouseMarque gave this away for free :O I hope Sony is paying them okay for the PSN+ freebie

Ryuuga

Banned
So I decided to check out coop and about a few minutes into the level my coop partner dies and decides to disconnect. I shrug it off and find another game. As it turns out, it's same guy who again dies within moments of starting the stage and disconnects. Does anyone come across this while playing public coop? Its not so much frustrating as it is kind of funny because I understand what he/she feels to a certain degree.

BadHand

Just spent 3 hours trying to beat the last level on veteran. So damn difficult but I finally did it. That was the first moment I felt grateful for the share button.

Now to push for that platinum.

Platinum becomes so much easier with co-op.

Tip: For the boost trophy, your co-op partner can shoot enemies normally, and you will still get the trophy.

Couple of questions:

-How exactly does overdrive multiply your score? It's clearly the high-scoring factor, but aside from the fact that tons of enemies + overdrive= mega points, what's the exact science?
-The upgrades you get when saving humans are random, but how random? How much does the overdrive upgrade affect scoring?
-Do you guys feel that the homing capabilities of Nemesis cheapens the gameplay? I don't think I mind it, but I was a little turned off that I didn't even have to aim the right way for the homing missiles to do the work for me.

I'm only slightly bothered by if randomness/luck play a factor into the overall scoring. I really like the idea of mastering a predictable pattern, which leaves more room for skill. Not trying to say the game isn't predominantly skill, just curious about how the game's mechanics works. Nothing is really explained.

In Super Stardust, the scoring was pretty simple, and I could properly add up and calculate what I could score: the multiplier was the biggest post-game factor, and you could see how boost and bombs played a role in multiplying your score. You also could score points by finishing under a certain time, and could score extra lives at certain million-point intervals.

Just to confirm, the multiplier factors in DURING the game, right? It's not like Stardust where the multiplier only factored in to the post-round score? Because I don't see the multiplier in the post-round scoring screen.

Lastly, how many of you are liking this more than Super Stardust? It's so hard for me to choose, and I can't possibly. They are such fantastically different titles, and I really feel that Housemarque has mastered them. They really perfect everything about these genres, and my god, the music, especially on stage 3, is so freaking fantastic.

JoeFenix

Platinum becomes so much easier with co-op.

Tip: For the boost trophy, your co-op partner can shoot enemies normally, and you will still get the trophy.

Couple of questions:

-How exactly does overdrive multiply your score? It's clearly the high-scoring factor, but aside from the fact that tons of enemies + overdrive= mega points, what's the exact science?
-The upgrades you get when saving humans are random, but how random? How much does the overdrive upgrade affect scoring?
-Do you guys feel that the homing capabilities of Nemesis cheapens the gameplay? I don't think I mind it, but I was a little turned off that I didn't even have to aim the right way for the homing missiles to do the work for me.

I'm only slightly bothered by how much randomness/luck play a factor into the overall scoring. I really like the idea of mastering a predictable pattern, which leaves more room for skill.

Not trying to say the game isn't predominantly skill, just curious about how the game's mechanics works. Nothing is really explained.

Lastly, how many of you are liking this more than Super Stardust? It's so hard for me to choose, and I can't possibly. They are such fantastically different titles, and I really feel that Housemarque has mastered them. They really perfect everything about these genres, and my god, the music, especially on stage 3, is so freaking fantastic.

-Overdrive boosts your score by giving you a points bonus per enemy killed during overdrive. This bonus becomes bigger with each enemy defeated during the overdrive. It is then affected by your multiplier. So basically you want to overdrive when you see alot of enemies.

-The upgrades you get when saving humans are set in stone. Human 2 on stage 1 is always an overdrive upgrade for example. This never changes.

-Nemesis stops being effective in the later levels and at this point I can safely say that the only way to get the really big scores is by using Phobos.

This game is also entirely predictable, everything is set in stone and you need to learn to hit your timings so that stuff spawns when you want it to.

-Overdrive boosts your score by giving you a points bonus per enemy killed during overdrive. This point bonus is then affect by your multiplier. So you want to overdrive when you see alot of enemies.

-The upgrades you get when saving humans are set in stone. Human 2 on stage 1 is always an overdrive upgrade for example. This never changes.

-Nemesis stops being effective in the later levels and at this point I can safely say that the only way to get the really big scores is by using Phobos.

This game is also entirely predictable, everything is set in stone and you need to learn to hit your timings so that stuff spawns when you want it to.

Thanks man!

I'm aware of the spawning being predictable, was more curious about overdrive and saving humans... shields, overdrive upgrades, etc. aren't randomly generated wen saving humans?

Also,

Just to confirm, the multiplier factors in DURING the game, right? It's not like Stardust where the multiplier only factored in to the post-round score? Because I don't see the multiplier in the post-round scoring screen.

JoeFenix

Thanks man! Also,

Yes, it absolutely factors in during every action performed in the game.

I'm pretty sure it was that way in Stardust as well but I'm fuzzy on the details.

Yes, it absolutely factors in during every action performed in the game.

I'm pretty sure it was that way in Stardust as well but I'm fuzzy on the details.

ME0001020570_2.jpg

^ It seems that multiplier counted in the end, no?

Also, what do you like better, this or Stardust? :D

Shields, overdrive upgrades, etc. aren't randomly generated when saving humans? I should pay attention, but I thought the upgrades were randomized, per stage. Also, the game doesn't loop in arcade mode.... how do you feel about that?

And please tell me you are just as heartbroken that there is no stat tracking :(

Edit: Just saw that the round-end scoring of Resogun does have a multiplier that factors in to the final score (Multiplier) x (Bomb Hoarder + Invincible), but does this mean that the multiplier is also in effect each time you kill an enemy? (Enemy base score x multiplier). I was never sure if it was this way in Stardust too, but it seems so.

JoeFenix

Yes, the multiplier affects everything in Resogun for certain but I'm also pretty sure it was the same in Stardust.

I like Resogun more personally, it doesn't take as long to get going and to finish a session. It only took me a little over an hour of playing to beat the game on Hero.

XTERC

So, the official Resogun Facebook page is celebrating JoeFenix's accomplishment. Which links back to Joe's Neogaf post.

Top Bottom