• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas mod discussion

Ugh, my laptop can run the game (FO3) fine with a few mods installed, but after an hour or so of gameplay it'll always crash saying it doesn't have enough free memory. My laptop has 8 gigs of RAM and I've installed a few of the fixes for Fallout 3, so I'm not exactly sure what is causing it.

Does Big Picture Mode take up a lot of memory?

I seriously cannot fathom what I am doing wrong with the NMC texture pack for FO3.

I install it exactly as the instructions ask, yet it either doesn't work at all or very VERY few textures work. I know this thread is somewhat dead, but can anyone provide input?

Turn off Archive Invalidation, then turn it back on.

I seriously cannot fathom what I am doing wrong with the NMC texture pack for FO3.

I install it exactly as the instructions ask, yet it either doesn't work at all or very VERY few textures work. I know this thread is somewhat dead, but can anyone provide input?

The problem is Archive Invalidation.

What if I am using the integrated NMM version?

Click on the wrench icon, and switch Archive Invalidation off and on again. Or use FOMM, which can be used in conjunction with NMM if you wish.

Also, I'm currently having a problem myself. If I move in third person while reloading a weapon like the Hunting Shotgun, where rounds are loaded one at a time, my guy doesn't cock the weapon at the end, and instead just floats around for a few seconds before letting me regain control. Anyone know what causes this, and if there's a fix?

nan0

Is there a FO3 mod which only changes the skillpoints/perk system to be more difficult (i.e. less skillpoints or perks)? The overhaul mods change way too much for my taste.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Alright, let me lay out my exact issue.

I downloaded the large NMC texture pack. I installed via NMM. Here is the texture folder after the install.
iIoONWy.png

Here is a comparison screenshot of the ground before and after the install. As you can see, they are different.

However, other in game objects have not changed. Examples:

I followed the advice of toggling archive invalidation. When I do try to toggle it, I receive this window. The check mark also does not disappear. However, the message changes between "remove" and "apply" as I toggle it despite this window. Because of this, I have no way of knowing if it is actually doing anything.
6tn5A4Q.png

Alright, let me lay out my exact issue.

I downloaded the large NMC texture pack. I installed via NMM. Here is the texture folder after the install.

Here is a comparison screenshot of the ground before and after the install. As you can see, they are different.

However, other in game objects have not changed. Examples:

I followed the advice of toggling archive invalidation. When I do try to toggle it, I receive this window. The check mark also does not disappear. However, the message changes between "remove" and "apply" as I toggle it despite this window. Because of this, I have no way of knowing if it is actually doing anything.
6tn5A4Q.png

Download Fallout Mod Manager and try doing it from there. Also, it might be a possibility that the objects you're looking at simply weren't edited by the modder? I recall in the description for the New Vegas version that he lists texture types that are unchanged.

johntown

Banned
Ugh, my laptop can run the game (FO3) fine with a few mods installed, but after an hour or so of gameplay it'll always crash saying it doesn't have enough free memory. My laptop has 8 gigs of RAM and I've installed a few of the fixes for Fallout 3, so I'm not exactly sure what is causing it.

Does Big Picture Mode take up a lot of memory?
Fallout 3 can only use 2GB of RAM. There are mods that allow for larger memory allocation. Look for the Large Address Enabler at Fallout Nexus.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Download Fallout Mod Manager and try doing it from there. Also, it might be a possibility that the objects you're looking at simply weren't edited by the modder? I recall in the description for the New Vegas version that he lists texture types that are unchanged.

Oh my...I'm..i'm not above doing sexual favors.

So wow, I guess I won't use NMM anymore? I don't know how I feel about that. FOMM is okay. To be fair, I had to toggle AI in FOMM too, only on there it actually toggled. Interesting.

Oh my...I'm..i'm not above doing sexual favors.

So wow, I guess I won't use NMM anymore? I don't know how I feel about that. FOMM is okay. To be fair, I had to toggle AI in FOMM too, only on there it actually toggled. Interesting.

Personally, I use both programs. NMM for installing mods and generally managing them, and FOMM for Archive Invalidation, deleting particular plugins and sorting load orders.

Fallout 3 can only use 2GB of RAM. There are mods that allow for larger memory allocation. Look for the Large Address Enabler at Fallout Nexus.

Already have that installed. I haven't encountered the issue for a few days now, we'll see how it goes. Last time it did it completely crashed my computer and corrupted my manual savegames. Luckily the autosaves were intact.

Already have that installed. I haven't encountered the issue for a few days now, we'll see how it goes. Last time it did it completely crashed my computer and corrupted my manual savegames. Luckily the autosaves were intact.

Use CASM. Far superior to the normal saving options. And disable the autosave options.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I have a major problem with Fallout 3. I have the midhrastic ENB and depending where I face in the game I get a completely white screen with only a basic outline of geometric shapes. The game also crashes a lot.

Help!

I have installed the Lone Wanderer ENB for Fallout New Vegas with sweetfx. I like it, but the colors are a bit too vivid and bright. The faces all look a bit red too instead of skin tone color. Is there any way to suck some of the color out of it by tweaking something?

"Better" Combat in FNV

Balance Overhaul - Creatures give you hell
Increased Weapon Jamming
Puce Moose Tweak and Balance mods (deadlier mines, slower backward movement, explosive robots, etc.)
Enemy AI Revamp - Healing
JSawyer (not sure if it changes combat values but I use it all the time)

Makes combat (in my opinion anyways) as crushing on Hard and Very Hard as I wanted it to be. Sure, I'm getting three hit killed from
Nightkin
in the REPCON Facility, but that's because I'm not even level 9 and attempting the quest anyways.

Beware though: do not install if you like winning all the time. Lots of repeat deaths and forced tactics like crippling, surprise, cover, etc. But it's much more rewarding I believe because you can't just walk around in a firefight killing everything.

ezekial45

Banned
Whats the best way to deal with a large number of duplicate files? Should I remove and uninstall everything and start over? I'm pretty there's a number of conflicts because of this.

Seyavesh

i enjoy alpenglow as a base for my enb settings

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53154/?

wanny's enb is great too- for awhile i used some version of it from fallout 3 tweaked for nv and it worked real well so im sure that one works too

for texture mods, poco/ojo bueno, nmc's and the new hi-res clothing mod are all great:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54478/?

i also recommend fco, though that's up to you in terms of what you prefer

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54460/?

ezekial45

Banned
Great pictures!

One question for anyone who wants to answer, is there a good alternative to Nevada Skies? It keeps flickering in and out for me. As in, it'll load the vanilla sky, then the NS mod will pop in. I'm not sure what the issue is. The load order looked pretty good to me. Also, I think it's giving stuttering problems as well.

I'm tempted to just stick with Vanilla for this one, but if there's a decent alternative, I'll try it.

Gothos

Tried playing. Installed FWE, Fellout and DarUI just to be pissed off by that fucking stuttering + the game crashed on me twice in that mall outside Megaton. Bethesda and their piece of shit game engines... Unistalled this crap. The worst 5$ I ever spent :)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Great pictures!

One question for anyone who wants to answer, is there a good alternative to Nevada Skies? It keeps flickering in and out for me. As in, it'll load the vanilla sky, then the NS mod will pop in. I'm not sure what the issue is. The load order looked pretty good to me. Also, I think it's giving stuttering problems as well.

I'm tempted to just stick with Vanilla for this one, but if there's a decent alternative, I'll try it.

I can't recommend any others, as I've only used Nevada Skies, but there are alternatives at the New Vegas nexus.

Nevada Skies is pretty damn finicky. If you don't have any other mod order conflicts (did you check FNVedit and BOSS), try putting Nevada Skies directly under your last 'official' esm (i.e. Caravan Pack or whatever is the last DLC you have). That helped me fix some of the errors that would pop up with it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish someone uploaded video of their enbs instead of screenshots

all the enbs I've tried look like shit in actual gameplay, destroying all blacks and just burning my retinas with super contrast and oversaturation and extreme depth of field and blur

Great pictures!

fellout is alright but it doesn't have all the cool sandstorm things from nevada skies. I used that for a long time before switching

it's a pretty good alternative, I recommend it over going vanilla if you like really dark nights and a wider range of colors for the wasteland in general

Wanny

I wish someone uploaded video of their enbs instead of screenshots

all the enbs I've tried look like shit in actual gameplay, destroying all blacks and just burning my retinas with super contrast and oversaturation and extreme depth of field and blur

What I show you is what you get.

zkylon

zkylewd
Nice crashes upon start. How do I make sure that ArchiveInvalidation is enabled? How do I do it manually?

there's an option in nmm if you click on the tool icon

pretty sure archiveinvalidation won't make your game crash tho, must be something else

Sarcasm

there's an option in nmm if you click on the tool icon

pretty sure archiveinvalidation won't make your game crash tho, must be something else

Well I don't trust the button but I got the game running.

I am using

Experience Control
Iron Sights
Project Beauty
DUI
MNC
DC Interiors

Any other recommendations? I haven't had the need to use FOSE yet.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm having an issue with the fake full screen mod. When I start it up, it still plays in windowed mode. While the game runs pretty well, the resolution doesn't fit my monitor and a part of the game spills off-screen and behind the windows taskbar.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

zkylon

zkylewd
Well I don't trust the button but I got the game running.

I am using

Experience Control
Iron Sights
Project Beauty
DUI
MNC
DC Interiors

Any other recommendations? I haven't had the need to use FOSE yet.
I don't really play fo3 but you'll probably want to install fwe. it adds a lot of fun things like all sprinting, slow-mo, a lot of stat balancing, perks every 3 levels like god meant it to be, hardcore mode stats, etc. it's all modular so you can turn whatever you don't want off and leave your favorite stuff on.

it's really good, I really really dislike fo3 and it made it tolerable for me, so that's a testament to its greatness.

I'm having an issue with the fake full screen mod. When I start it up, it still plays in windowed mode. While the game runs pretty well, the resolution doesn't fit my monitor and a part of the game spills off-screen and behind the windows taskbar.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
did you try this mod? seems like it has it all sorted out for ya: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41381/?

other than that I dunno, it's always worked fine for me :/

Sarcasm

Installed FWE and FOSE and it said it wasn't thata rch validation thingy so I did it again..and crashes....

Was working fine before FWE/FOSE...

Sarcasm

Yes. And I have narrowed it down to FWE being the cause. Game runs fine with mods and FOSE.

I followed the instructions on the FWE site and I download this from its link to nexus:

FWE Part 1 & 2
DUI support

What gives?

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm that's strange, usually it's not really much of a hassle to install

unfortunately I don't really bother with fo3 so I wouldn't know to give specific instructions

you narrowed it to fwe how? tried disabling all other mods?

like, there might be some conflict with the iron sight and experience mods, maybe

Sarcasm

I went through the incompatibility mods and disabled everything. Ran FOSE no mods etc. Tried it with FWE.

I will keep on trying.

**After a lot of disabling and re-enabling it just worked...lol.

ezekial45

Banned
did you try this mod? seems like it has it all sorted out for ya: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41381/?

other than that I dunno, it's always worked fine for me :/

Yes, that's the one. Not sure what's up with it.

I'm about to play this game for the first time. Any recommended mods from the gameplay section?

If it's your first time, then I wouldn't really recommend any gameplay mods. It's best to go in fresh and unaltered for the first time. The gameplay mods are pretty comprehensive and essentially change the game for people are already know the ins and outs of the game.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Are there any mods that add music to New Vegas? Or is that not something modders are allowed to do due to copyright and such?
Also, any mods for hitmarkers?

Top Bottom