• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata explains the reasons of 3DS's price cut; gives it 4 months to resurrect

Wolfe

wiid said:
Any places in California selling it at $170.

Assuming not until August 12th. According to some you could always just buy it at Best Buy (or another place with 90 day price matching or whatever) and then go get it price matched once the new price point takes effect.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Duxxy3 said:
If i remember correctly there were still some systems sold in July that were getting scratched. I would wager they're still out there.
I just bought one... I assume it's a launch shipment model and I assume it does have the screen scratching problem.

I just got a screen protector *shrugs*

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Clipper said:
It's a placeholder until we get an official announcement of the name in a press release. They don't always put the tentative markers on these things.

It's a stupid name, would turn people off, and is totally out of character both for the series and for Nintendo in general. We'll get a better name closer to the launch for sure.

Think of it like MK9.
I like the name Mario Kart 7 a lot.

For the first time, it looks like a real "sequel" in Mario Kart - an upgrade.

This litany of Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 3DS, Mario Kart 4DS. It's getting boring and I easily feel I can tune out and not buy it.

But Mario Kart 7? That's the latest and greatest bro!

If they drop the name, I don't consider it an improvement to have another generic "Mario Kart Whatever" name. I'd want to see something really different.

Mario Kart FINAL. Mario Kart Sigma. THE Mario Kart.

Truth101

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
My bet would be holiday with the Mario games. Maybe even a system bundle with one of them for $199?
The new pricing is ideal for a $199 bundle with Mario Kart included for christmas.

verbatimo

I really hope 3DS get's some new game annoucements. 3DS game library is barren and Vita lauchup looks like from another planet.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. are good games, but I also want more. That shit just don't fly anymore. If there soon won't be new games announced, I'm going to put my eyes to Vita and it's games. It looks like that western third parties are putting effort into Vita games and 3DS get scraps and little effort as possible.

Nintendo really dropped the ball by putting faith in third party games during launch.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Anyone buying a Nintendo 1st gen Nintendo portable is mad. There is always a better built one coming down the pipe within the first eighteen to twenty-four months.

Actually with the DS, it was the second model (DS Lite) that was the worst given the hinge crack issue. I'd never been disappointed in a piece of Nintendo hardware prior to the Lite. The original Phat was actually much better, and then they managed to get things right again with the third model (DSi).

Turnip Truck said:
Actually with the DS, it was the second model (DS Lite) that was the worst given the hinge crack issue. I'd never been disappointed in a piece of Nintendo hardware prior to the Lite. The original Phat was actually much better, and then they managed to get things right again with the third model (DSi).
Lite Dpad also sucked ass. Worst Nintendo Dpad ever.

Truth101

Banned
verbatimo said:
I really hope 3DS get's some new game annoucements. 3DS game library is barren and Vita lauchup looks like from another planet.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. are good games, but I also want more. That shit just don't fly anymore. If there soon won't be new games announced, I'm going to put my eyes to Vita and it's games. It looks like that western third parties are putting effort into Vita games and 3DS get scraps and little effort as possible.

Nintendo really dropped the ball by putting faith in third party games during launch.

We should see a lot of games/announcements at TGS.

verbatimo said:

Vita's launch window lineup is going to be just as barren as 3DS was 3rd party wise, in fact it's mostly the same sorts of franchises and games even (Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, Musou, LEGO, Blazblue, etc).

Where Vita shines is 1st party (and that's also where Nintendo really fumbled at launch), but it's 3rd party lineup is far less impressive than 3DS was at this point in it's cycle, nevermind where 3DS is today.

PooBone

Giving it 4 months to resurrect, and looking at the software lineup over the next 4 months.... that kinda tells me I shouldn't get one because it will be dead by next year.

*sigh*Nintendo*sigh*

verbatimo

lunchwithyuzo said:
Vita's launch window lineup is going to be just as barren as 3DS was 3rd party wise, in fact it's mostly the same sorts of franchises and games even (Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, Musou, LEGO, Blazblue, etc).

Where Vita shines is 1st party (and that's also where Nintendo really fumbled at launch), but it's 3rd party lineup is far less impressive than 3DS was at this point in it's cycle, nevermind where 3DS is today.

See there is a difference between some games. Ridge Racer 3DS was a fucking iphone-port and Vita version looks like it's made from a ground up for the console.

Most of 3DS games looks like DS-games. Where are the games that use 3DS Pica graphical capabilities? Only one is coming and that is RE Revelations. Other games looks like they are made by little effort.

As a consumer I except certain quality in games. Graphics department is one area. Right now it really doesn't looks like i'm paying 30-40e 3DS games which looks DS-game. Again look at Ridge Racer 3DS. I can buy same game for iphone for couple of euros than pay 40 euros for 3DS version. Price should match quality of the game and right now it doesn't seem that way.

Jokeropia

PooBone said:
Giving it 4 months to resurrect, and looking at the software lineup over the next 4 months.... that kinda tells me I shouldn't get one because it will be dead by next year.

*sigh*Nintendo*sigh*
This kinda tells me you only read the thread title and not the actual quote.

verbatimo said:
See there is a difference between some games. Ridge Racer 3DS was a fucking iphone-port and Vita version looks like it's made from a ground up for the console.

Most of 3DS games looks like DS-games. Where are the games that use 3DS Pica graphical capabilities? Only one is coming and that is RE Revelations. Other games looks like they are made by little effort.

As a consumer I except certain quality in games. Graphics department is one area. Right now it really doesn't looks like i'm paying 30-40e 3DS games which looks DS-game. Again look at Ridge Racer 3DS. I can buy same game for iphone for couple of euros than pay 40 euros for 3DS version. Price should match quality of the game and right now it doesn't seem that way.
RR3D isn't an iPhone port, at all? Have you played it? It was developed "ground up" on 3DS, Accelerated was actually the port (or conversion) of RR2 PSP.

What polygonal 3DS game looks like it's DS predecessor? Nintendogs? Star Fox? Mario Kart? Hell, even Ridge Racer? If you can't see the generational leap here, you need new eyes.

snesfreak

Banned
verbatimo said:

No they don't.

Effect

A lot of the crap toward RR3DS doesn't make sense. It's a solid game. Could it look better? Yes but with the 3D on and in motion it looks pretty good for a launch game (which tend to get a pass in general) and is simply solid in general. It's one of the better launch games. Good but not great clearly. Certainly not bad. An iPhone game this isn't. Now that other launch racing game is another story.

verbatimo

Truth101 said:

TGS is japan centric. I don't except any FPS or racing games accouncement.

I'm still waiting decent fps for the 3DS. Soon system is 6 months old and still there isn't any fps games. Even DS have couple decent like Call of Duty and Dementium. Also lack of good 3DS racing games is pity.

Vita is getting Call of Duty and Bioshock.

I'm talking about the third party stuff. Nintendo's own 3DS games looks fine to me, but third partys, well that's another story.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
verbatimo said:

3DS needs resources dedicated to it by publishers, the existing DS way of development doesn't fit. So far Capcom is the only one who has gone to the effort of getting decent middleware running on it. If the platform becomes viable you'll see more of that. Vita is am easier sell to publishers and developers because it shares an existing development environment in PS3/360.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation at the moment. The system and the games need to sell for publishers to devote decent resources to it.

Nintendo realise this which is why they've gone so aggressive with the price. Mario + Mario Kart should do the trick, then we have to hope 3rd parties see it as a cost-effective platform to make more of an effort. Otherwise it could end up a bit out of the loop like the Wii.

Effect

Foffy said:
Some do. Shinobi and Super Pokemon Scramble look like DS games.
He said "most". That clearly isn't true. There are a few cases where that might be the case as they are DS up-ports or straight DS ports with some additions made to them. That isn't the case with the majority of 3DS games (their quality is another thing).

I still feel there is no way in hell Shinobi isn't an up-port regardless what the devs are trying to spin. Pokemon Scramble really should be a downloadable game since it's a sequel to a downloadable game.

Clunker

verbatimo said:

I'm still waiting decent fps for the 3DS. Soon system is 6 months old and still there isn't any fps games. Even DS have couple decent like Call of Duty and Dementium. Also lack of good 3DS racing games is pity.

I'm talking about the third party stuff. Nintendo's own 3DS games looks fine to me, but third partys, well that's another story.
Handhelds of all stripes have virtually been ignored by Western developers; gems like Clash of Heroes and Scribblenauts are the exception and not the rule, sadly. :( If any system does draw some modicum of Western support, it'll be Vita, but overwhelmingly in the form of me-too console ports.

I'm also looking to TGS to take the temperature of how Japanese dev teams are approaching both the 3DS and Vita, more particularly the 3DS. The Vita will most definitely suffer from an anemic post-launch window (as every system ever does), but I was really hoping for at least more 3DS game announcements from this year's E3. TGS is my main hope to find new third-party efforts to look forward to on 3DS.

Note: I definitely don't think the 3DS will be "dead" in any dramatic sense of the word. First-party games will be big sellers and help Nintendo just fine. But I'm more interested in seeing where third parties push their chips. The whole "build an install base and they will come" mentality left the Wii a barren wasteland, and also seemed to fall on its face for the 3DS launch; I'm hoping that in addition to this price drop and new marketing angle, Nintendo is also bombarding third parties with attempts and offers to build some bridges.

m.i.s.

Banned
Truth101 said:

Unconfirmed reports suggest Metal Gear Solid 3DS has been delayed to 2012. I think it was origianally set to appear Nov 2011.

Probably not what 3DS owners needed right now and just further cements the air of 3rd party uncertainty surrounding the platform.

emb

Effect said:
Pokemon Scramble really should be a downloadable game since it's a sequel to a downloadable game.

I disagree. In my view, the only reason a game should be download only is if it's too low budget to get a full release. If it does well in that space, it should be extended and sold as a retail release.

At least that was always my thinking, and my hope when I was playing through Pokemon Rumble. I'd be so disappointed if the sequel was DD as well.

verbatimo said:

Vita's not getting them near launch though, and 3DS will likely get COD too. Shooters are obviously going to be one of the platform's big genre pushes, just look how many Sony themselves have.

Capcom, Namco Bandai, Tecmo Koei, Square Enix, Level 5, Konami and others all have impressive looking 3DS games either on shelves or in the works. Basically PS2-quality or better from all of them.

[Nintex]

AceBandage said:
Working on a right analog attachment?
Uh... yeah.... sure.... uh huh....
Everytime those French come up with something I call them crazy but so far they've been right. So I'll wait for the other 4 parts of their 'insiders' story to see if they jump the shark. They certainly aren't the first to mention dissapointed developers.

[Nintex] said:
Everytime those French come up with something I call them crazy but so far they've been right. So I'll wait for the other 4 parts of their 'insiders' story to see if they jump the shark. They certainly aren't the first to mention dissapointed developers.

How would it even work?
I mean, physically, there might be room... but how would it even ATTACH?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, this time I simply can't believe them.
Where should be the attachment for the right analog? 0_o

The article also indicated they will be making a 3D-less version for next year. Oh well I'm not a handheld gamer so I'm pretty indifferent and I look forward to the what they write tomorrow for Wii U.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AceBandage said:
Working on a right analog attachment?
Uh... yeah.... sure.... uh huh....
Plus a new 3DS in 2012 without as much focus on 3D. Perhaps they'll rename it and make the right analog stick built in. Maybe the add-on is only for the older models.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hoping this means a 3DS Lite will have it built in. =)

Edit- That article sounds bogus though. But who knows, may be true. I'm not buying it yet though.

MadOdorMachine said:
Plus a new 3DS in 2012 without as much focus on 3D. Perhaps they'll rename it and make the right analog stick built in. Maybe the add-on is only for the older models.

I have a very hard time believing this.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
[Nintex] said:
It'll still have 3D but it won't be the main selling point.

If that is what they say,then ok, they're back to the minimum level of reliability... because I simply can't believe the attachment thing.

Eteric Rice said:
I don't see how you could attach anything. Unless it's like, something you put the 3DS in...

Well, even then, what would you plug it in to?
There's the charging slot and the headphone jack...
IR would be too slow for that.

The only other way would be if it's wireless, and well... I just don't see them doing that, especially for $10.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
verbatimo said:

Most of 3DS games looks like DS-games.
You're thinking of Asphalt, I believe on the iPhone port.

Also, you are so wrong about a 3DS games looking like DS games. If you said PSP you would be a lot closer and not wrong for many of the games. Saying they look like DS games is just trolling.

EDIT: Since when did a second circle pad become a huge problem for the 3DS? I would definitely have preferred Nintendo to include one, but I haven't seen a lot of people complaining about it when compared to what everyone complains about on the internet.

[Nintex]

Mpl90 said:
If that is what they say,then ok, they're back to the minimum level of reliability... because I simply can't believe the attachment thing.
You can't believe the attachment thing? Nintendo has packed in Pokewalkers, Balance Boards, Zappers, Steering Wheels, Gyrosensor cartrdiges but an analog stick attachment is unbelievable?

Ushojax said:
This just sounds so stupid, it's probably true.
Pretty much

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
[Nintex] said:
You can't believe the attachment thing? Nintendo has packed in Pokewalkers, Balance Boards, Zappers, Steering Wheels, Gyrosensor cartrdiges but an analog stick attachment is unbelievable?

There has never really been something as basic and cumbersome as an extra analogue stick that has to be bolted on to the front of their handheld though. This just sounds so stupid, it's probably true.

Eteric Rice

[Nintex] said:

Where would it plug in to?

I think a redesign would be more likely.

[Nintex] said:

Pretty much everything you just mentioned isn't required (and half of it were just shells that did nothing at all).
According to this, the analog attachment would be required.
That still doesn't solve the problem of how it would plug in, though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
[Nintex] said:
How the fuck would it work without a redesign?

Top Bottom