• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever feel like Marvel could genderswap some roles in their filmverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoanarch

DocSeuss why do you keep calling it Agents of HATE. Its called Nextwave. Its not like MARVELS Agents of SHIELD. Well I guess the name is technically Nextwave: Agents of HATE is the full title, but I've never seen or heard anyone refer to it just by its subtitle.

Kattbuss

Reading this thread just made me realize how totally awesome a Sentry movie would be.
Played out in the current Marvel movie universe and following the first volume of the comic.
And why not have a woman playing the role? Marvel should get on this!

I guess Capn Marvel might be on-par with the heavy hitters of the MCU Avengers, and would be a strong female addition to a future (Phase 2 or 3) movie.

Vamers-Artistry-Female-Avengers-See-the-Superheroes-Recast-as-Women-Full.jpg

NeonZ

Well, to be fair, Spider-Woman, X-23 and She-Hulk seem to be fairly popular!
I know Spider-Woman isn't a gender flipped Spidey, I'm sorry for making these jokes.

There's Ultimate Spider-Woman (now Black Widow), who is a clone of Peter with his memories too.

haha sandra bullock as stark. she's certainly as witty as rdj (funny that he was gonna be cast as the astronaut opposite her in gravity)

the rest are just pretty but wouldn't suit their roles.

IHaveIce

Banned
No genderswapping is fanfiction level of stupid.

There are enough females they can introduce and Ms Marvel could very well be a big contender.

Scarlet Witch will be a good addition, if possible add also in Cloak and Dagger.

but for the love of every human on earth don't ever bring in black panther and his family.
I wish marvel would kill Wakanda till the end of time

Hex

Banned
There are plenty of strong females available to keep from needing to throw tradition and history of characters away to fill a quota.
It is a matter of them using who they have and then writing them worthy.
People act like just because it is a certain character it will automatically be written stronger than another when if they want to write a strong female it won't matter how big a name it was before.

Hagi

I just want Carol in a movie, she's too awesome not be. I want a scene in Avengers 3 where she holds of an Invasion force of super chitauri by herself like in Secret Invasion. Any one who thinks she couldn't hold her own with the likes if Thor should read her tie in issues to secret invasion.

pants

No it is NOT.

It is the easiest way to put a woman super hero on screen, which will make MUCH MORE PEOPLE KNOWN THE CHARACTER than creating a new character, marketing it to a market who as sexist as gamers only acepting hot women and then trying to pitch it a movie about her.

Give cate blantchet or tilda swilton a non sexualized robe and call her Stephanie Strange.

THEN you will have girls seeing in the big screen something they can relate and feel they can be superheroes too.

Not in a niche cult comic book that needs to survive in a world full of big names
The only thing you're doing is increasing the popularity of a char that will become male again.

There are plenty of great female Marvel heroes. You totally skipped Wasp, but really all it takes is a good writer. I think a lot of these characters will be appreciated more when they're done justice on the screen.

DocSeuss

so then you want an all new character then

No more than Iron Man was an "all new character" since current Iron Man doesn't drink.

The great thing about comic book adaptations is that you can adapt from literally any version of the character that exists. Do I want Drunk Iron Man? Sure. Do I want to use Jean Grey before she became Phoenix? Can do. Adapting Sentry from his initial run of comics rather than the terrible Bendis version isn't that big of a stretch.

That run really was outstanding (due in no small part to Conner's incredible artwork). And I agree that the DC films have run off the rails in entirely the wrong tonal direction lately. Granted I would imagine it's hard to write a "happy" Batman story, but it's a tragedy to see Superman be stuffed into the company of bombastic, heavy-handed, ultra-grim superhero movies that take themselves way too seriously. Power Girl can't suffer the same fate. I won't allow it! (Not that she'll ever star in a movie at this rate.)

That one page spread of Power Girl and Terra in the cinema is in my top ten of favorite comic book moments. They just saved Manhattan in spectacular fashion, and now they're enjoying themselves and watching a horror movie together. You know you have a good character when you can be entertained by watching her eat popcorn in between bench-pressing apartment buildings.

I'm sure that a lot of executives think it's pointless or difficult to showcase a woman as a superhero, but it's really not that hard. Just have her be her own character, standing on her own two feet, doing awesome shit all the time without playing second fiddle to dudes.

The problem here is going to be that DC's filmverse is largely influenced by Didio and Johns' take on the DCU, which is terrible, and has been a big part of their decline over the past decade or so. DC in the early 00s was in a really exciting place, with writers like Morrison and Waid doing some amazing stuff. But... go read Johns comics. His stuff's all about depowering women, needless grimdarkery, and a lot of superheroes yelling at each other.

This is the universe that killed off a Batgirl and only brought her back after extreme fan outcry, pretending she hadn't been dead all along. It's the universe where they've basically retconned every change ever so things can be stuck in the silver age. For them, it's all about legacy and symbols and stuff. Oh, and they have no problem doing things like they did to Mary Marvel in countdown. It's like "hey, if a woman has power, she has to be evil" with DC.

No it is NOT.

It is the easiest way to put a woman super hero on screen, which will make MUCH MORE PEOPLE KNOWN THE CHARACTER than creating a new character, marketing it to a market who as sexist as gamers only acepting hot women and then trying to pitch it a movie about her.

Give cate blantchet or tilda swilton a non sexualized robe and call her Stephanie Strange.

THEN you will have girls seeing in the big screen something they can relate and feel they can be superheroes too.

Not in a niche cult comic book that needs to survive in a world full of big names

Your point is accurate, but we're already getting a male Strange. And also, again, huge overlap with Wanda, since both of them would be magic users who do basically the same thing.

I'm tired of my fiction limiting women to energy/magic powers or "being regular people who know kung fu."

I think it's lazy. There are female characters that deserve their own movies (Carol and Storm, please, God), and I don't want to see gender-swapped characters before they get their own movies.

Also, if Miles Morales gets on screen before BP, I'm punching someone.

EDIT: While I'm here - it'd be better if Danvers got her own movie as opposed to being introduced in a team movie... this way they could hopefully establish Binary.

Storm is with Fox... what's up with people who keep suggesting things that can't happen within the Marvel cinematic universe? :|

As for Binary, you might as well do a Warbird movie. All of that is too complex for cinema. Best way to do this is to just do ONE take on the character. Too much, and your audiences will start getting confused.

One of the reasons I don't think a gender swap of Mar-Vell would be too bad is because it'd really just be condensing the Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel story into just one character. The most interesting side of that entire area of comics is, I think, the way Rick Jones and Captain Marvel switched places. So if I were going to adapt a Captain Marvel story, it'd be somewhere between a gender swap and an adjustment to Carol's story.

Use the Characters you have or make new ones. Gender Swapping, Race Swapping etc. is a sign that you don't have any faith in the original creations and you need to gimmick it up to try and find success. It also does a disservice to the countless characters already created as they are apparently useless so you need a female captain america or whatever

There are so many Female Superheroes/Villians out there already that they could use.

hell look at Falcon. He really wasn't that awesome a character in the comics. Oh he can talk to birds and fly woohoo. Instead of trying to radically change him they simply modernized him and he came across as an awesome character in TWS.

Most female characters in comics are terrible, so any faith in them would be pretty misplaced. And "Female superheroes exist" isn't a good argument based on the criteria in the OP, since nearly all female superheroes are weak compared to their male counterparts.

I don't see why a movie exec would need or want female Vision.

They're making a male Vision if memory serves correctly. But I don't see your point.

DocSeuss why do you keep calling it Agents of HATE. Its called Nextwave. Its not like MARVELS Agents of SHIELD. Well I guess the name is technically Nextwave: Agents of HATE is the full title, but I've never seen or heard anyone refer to it just by its subtitle.

I know.

I just like typing Agents of HATE.

Reading this thread just made me realize how totally awesome a Sentry movie would be.
Played out in the current Marvel movie universe and following the first volume of the comic.
And why not have a woman playing the role? Marvel should get on this!

Too bad I don't have an in with Marvel, or I'd script over the summer and pitch this fall.

I've never liked this picture only because they kinda seem to be missing the point with She-Hulk. She's an idealized version of Jennifer Walters--basically, she's everything Jen wants to be. Outgoing, attractive, etc. So the ogre face doesn't really fit the idea.

Ms America
Rescue
Valkyrie or Sif
She Hulk or Betty if red is your fetish.
and its different for gods.

Technically, that first one would be American Dream?

There are plenty of strong females available to keep from needing to throw tradition and history of characters away to fill a quota.
It is a matter of them using who they have and then writing them worthy.
People act like just because it is a certain character it will automatically be written stronger than another when if they want to write a strong female it won't matter how big a name it was before.

Please, by all means, list them. Most of the ones people have brought up are She-Hulk and Carol Danvers, who I mentioned in the OP. Or they're X-Women, who Marvel can't use. Or they're magic/kung fu people, and we've already got that covered with Scarlet Witch and Black Widow. Or they're Spider-Woman.

The only thing you're doing is increasing the popularity of a char that will become male again.

Why? The filmverse has to keep things simple. It's not like comics where they can change things comic-to-comic, writer-to-writer. When you spend a hundred million dollars on a movie and make back a few hundred million, you're not going to suddenly go "okay, yeah, let's make this a dude like it is in the comics."

You're waaaaaay more likely to go "okay, let's make the comic character like it is in the movies."

See: how Marvel gave Spidey a black costume just in time for Spider-Man III, even though it wasn't venom or anything.

There are plenty of great female Marvel heroes. You totally skipped Wasp, but really all it takes is a good writer. I think a lot of these characters will be appreciated more when they're done justice on the screen.

1) Most of these either overlap with what we have/will have on screen, or are X-characters, who can't be used.
2) Wasp's power is "being tiny." It's not like the original Avengers, where you had Giant Man and Wasp, who had very different powers. They're gearing up for the Kirkman version of Ant-Man. The tiny guy. You could always go with Giant Wasp, I guess, but at that point, why is she even Wasp? The Giant Wasp thing only really works if you know why she's Wasp to begin with. Plus, I mean, she works best with Hank, just like Hank works best with her.

Platy

Your point is accurate, but we're already getting a male Strange. And also, again, huge overlap with Wanda, since both of them would be magic users who do basically the same thing.

I'm tired of my fiction limiting women to energy/magic powers or "being regular people who know kung fu."

To be fair my brain was like "ok ... every famous hero was already used .. what we have in 'coming soon' for marvel ? Ant Man was already casted (and would be too much like wasp), Daredevil they would make it looks like elektra 2 with skimpy outfit, iron fist would be 'asian black window' and ..... Dr Strange. Not famous enoght for the audience to bother with the change, with a good outfit that escapes problems like ... Zatanna's outfit =P"

bengraven

Yes, as much as possible we should gender AND race swap.

There shouldn't be an issue - skin color isn't an identity. That said, if someone has a specific CULTURE attached to them that's a part of their character, like Daredevil being Catholic, that part should always stay.

The uproar is immature and questionable.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
No more than Iron Man was an "all new character" since current Iron Man doesn't drink.

The great thing about comic book adaptations is that you can adapt from literally any version of the character that exists. Do I want Drunk Iron Man? Sure. Do I want to use Jean Grey before she became Phoenix? Can do. Adapting Sentry from his initial run of comics rather than the terrible Bendis version isn't that big of a stretch.

see, this where i see your problem. tony being a drunk is a plot device. it gets referenced at times, but he doesnt drink anymore. its like hany pym hitting janet. he did that sure, but hes not a perpetual assaulter of his girlfriends, and has infact become a much better person because of it. it was a plot device, not a character trait. its not things that defined them, but definetely helped shaped who they are.

the sentry however, being crazy is a character trait. there is no point when you can reference that time where he went crazy like you can jean, roobie baldwin, or hal jordan, because he still is crazy. every alternate version references the prime version, so they all are crazy in one way shape or form. its like wanting a version of peter parker who didnt take uncle bens words to heart or use constant quipping to hide his insecurity and fear when doing dangerous things but instead continued to use his powers to look out for himself. its like asking for a version of steve rodgers who instead of looking out for those who cant defend themselves and being a beacon that others aspire to be, becomes a mercenary for the highest bidder. you want someone that doesnt encompass all the parts you consider trash, which i do understand(i dont like current scott summers.. but he is who is he is.) you can take liberties with him, like the removing of being a meth addict, but the rest is pivotal to what makes him him. asking to remove that means you want someone new, with a missing in action origin

Storm is with Fox... what's up with people who keep suggesting things that can't happen within the Marvel cinematic universe? :|

As for Binary, you might as well do a Warbird movie. All of that is too complex for cinema. Best way to do this is to just do ONE take on the character. Too much, and your audiences will start getting confused.

One of the reasons I don't think a gender swap of Mar-Vell would be too bad is because it'd really just be condensing the Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel story into just one character. The most interesting side of that entire area of comics is, I think, the way Rick Jones and Captain Marvel switched places. So if I were going to adapt a Captain Marvel story, it'd be somewhere between a gender swap and an adjustment to Carol's story.

I meant in general for Storm. I'm aware that X-rights are with Fox.

Eh, they can do it the way that they did it in Avengers EMH.

I can see that, but I (and many other fans) prefer it to be Carol, through and through.

kunonabi

Yes, as much as possible we should gender AND race swap.

There shouldn't be an issue - skin color isn't an identity. That said, if someone has a specific CULTURE attached to them that's a part of their character, like Daredevil being Catholic, that part should always stay.

The uproar is immature and questionable.

Skin color does matter in how quite a few people see the world. Same goes for being a woman as they are forced to deal with a lot of bullshit that men don't. It sucks but in reality your gender and skin color will always shape you to some degree.

Would Captain America as the greatest soldier and patriot of WWII have had the exact same response if he were black or a woman?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Spider-girl-continues.jpg

yeah yeah i know :/

edit: Also I would eat up a Nextwave movie. If GotG goes, anything goes!

Loxley

I'm all for more prominent female super heroes (and in a more general sense, more non-white male super heroes) but I've never been a fan a simply gender-swaping existing characters. I'd much rather they create new, interesting characters with their own identities. Simply making, say, Steve Rogers a woman strikes me as lazy writing. It's why I really like Miles Morales as a character, Marvel didn't just simply make Peter Parker a different race, they introduced a character with his own background and motivations to take up the mantle of Spider-Man.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing a female Hawkeye, Iron Man, or Captain America, but please at least *try* to come up with a new character before just defaulting to the generic gender-swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom