• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Is there a gif of buffy when she got switched with faith, and she says infront of the mirror:

It's Wrong!

vQgr5kf.gif

jg4xchamp

Masters of niche. I can't even get regular people to check out Vanquish and it's easily their most accessible game in TPS format.

To be fair even their action games are plenty accessible, at the least Bayonetta is definitely accessible. An easy difficulty, lots of get out of jail free cards within the gameplay to ease the difficulty, the challenging part is the ranking, the technical mastery of the game, and all that jazz. It's their aesthetic decisions that leave them to a niche audience, and well poor marketing as well.

cacildo

Indeed, high profile games don't automatically get almost perfect score as much as a few years ago.

This was killing the reviewers credibility.

I bought my share of AAA overhyped games because reviews were "OMG BEST GAME EVER 10 10 11" and got burned. I bet i wasnt the only one

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
To be fair the bikini scene wasn't just fan service.

Depends on how you put it.
True enough, it ended up being an important - albeit a bit out-there - part of the solution of the case, but neither Akane's, nor Chiaki's scene had any substance to them other than "look how sexy they look".
They even used a new way of presenting these scenes, with scrolling pictures (to ensure you see all of the characters) and then went on discussing the size of the character's breasts, where Ibuki even considers a boobjob because she's (seemingly?) not carrying overly inflated breasts around. I'm not mad at this scene and I didn't drop the rating for the game due to the scene (nor have I even considered doing that), but it just came to my mind, because this obvious pandering didn't seem to be a problem, whereas Bayonetta, who isn't even looking like the cliché "male videogamer's dream woman" at all, suddenly is.

Bold One

Poor marketing decisions will paint this game in a bad light, its what happened to the first one

stop with the crotch shots ans gyration, just show the combat.

DoubleYou

Gotta say, I had zero interest in this title but as a Wii U owner I almost feel obliged to get this with these kind of scores.

Great job Platinum!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Leigh Alexander said:
As a woman, I haven't often been satisfied by female character options that effectively boil down to "the same thing as a man, just with breasts and a ponytail." Thanks to its innovative approach to the idea of female power, Bayonetta is the first action game heroine that's made me directly conscious of how cool it is to be a girl.
Yes, this! Something that has often bothered me is this notion that it is not simply a perfectly acceptable option to not be traditionally feminine, but that being strong/empowered means you must reject all traditional femininity. It doesn't make sense to me, and frequently insults and looks down upon girls who like girly things and being so, including plenty of cool/confident girls I know and plenty I admire.

That is not a helpful attitude for acceptance and empowerment of women and diversity of gender expression, it's just saying that all traditional notions of femininity are inherently subservient and many traits viewed masculine do not belong solely to men and are yet to be favored and desired over feminine traits. While I am all in favor of deconstructing prescribed gender traits, I am not in favor of maintaining an anti-feminine attitude to supposedly combat misogyny. It makes no sense to me.

I wasn't familiar with his work, so I never knew why so many Gafers had disparaging things to say about Arthur Gies... and then I read that Polygon review.

SparkTR

Nintendo definitely pay for good reviews.

It is their last chance of this year to sell the console.

If Nintendo were betting on a Platinum game to sell their console they made a huge fucking mistake. With that said I might get this since TW101 was the best console game I've played in years.

CassSept

I'm legitimately surprised at GameSpot's 10. Doubly so as it's a Wii U exclusive. I was already on-board but damn, that's amazing.

BAYO2 METACRITIC'D HIGHER THAN DESTINY?!

...Does that make Bayo2 the highest Rated game of the fall season so far? good lord.

BUY A DAMN WII U ALREADY PEOPLE :p

Nohar

Nintendo definitely pay for good reviews.

It is their last chance of this year to sell the system.

The game is fantastic. Nintendo doesn't need to pay anyone for them to give it good reviews.

Also, you're kinda forgetting about Super Smash Bros.

Finally: I hope you know there is a huge target sign on you right now.

My brother took the Wii U to Berlin with him. The guy ain't coming back till late December...

Fuck it I'm buying my own Wii U AND Bayo 2 on launch day. I ain't waiting that long to play this game. Loved the first one to death.

I really don't get a male-serving vibe from Bayonetta. To me it comes off more like everything about her is unreasonably excessive and that is just who she is owning herself and her own existence. Her role is in a place between the extreme powers of heaven and hell and says fuck both of them, she will go her own way. Her power is the same way, her style is the same way, and her sexiness is the same way.

I don't know how many people I have seen getting outrageous amounts insults and accusations about being a sexist ignorant Dbag over this argument; "To me it comes off more like everything about her is unreasonably excessive and that is just who she is owning herself and her own existence"

We've already established in 10+ threads that you don't need to have balloon tits be an outright sexual character. Polygon might be smeared in smuckness ( I am not a regular reader of theirs, I have no opinion on their overall level of journalistic integrity) but the defense force in this thread seems to be displaying massive signs of double standards.
Bayonetta is hypersexualized as fuck. That doesn't bother me. It never did, but I really have to go WTF, when the arguments people used to make about these sort of things as ban worthy, is now some "ohh she is just a strong independent woman".

TL;DR - Double standards are gross.

Arklite

To be fair even their action games are plenty accessible, at the least Bayonetta is definitely accessible. An easy difficulty, lots of get out of jail free cards within the gameplay to ease the difficulty, the challenging part is the ranking, the technical mastery of the game, and all that jazz. It's their aesthetic decisions that leave them to a niche audience, and well poor marketing as well.

Yeah for sure, that's mainly what I referred to in terms of accessibility in that Vanquish offers armored-man-with-gun and TPS play that should both be broad in appeal. But as you said, many of their titles just get zero advertising. Perhaps at least early glowing reviews help Bayonetta 2's chances.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
fucking conspiracy theories man, they're all the rage this year.

Also Smash exists. Bayo 2 won't light the charts on fire(sadly), but it was never their big game this year.

I don't know how many people I have seen getting outrageous amounts insults and accusations about being a sexist ignorant Dbag over this argument; "To me it comes off more like everything about her is unreasonably excessive and that is just who she is owning herself and her own existence"

We've already established in 10+ threads that you don't need to have balloon tits be an outright sexual character. Polygon might be smeared in smuckness ( I am not a regular reader of theirs, I have no opinion on their overall level of journalistic integrity) but the defense force in this thread seems to be displaying massive signs of double standards.
Bayonetta is hypersexualized as fuck. That doesn't bother me. It never did, but I really have to go WTF, when the arguments people used to make about these sort of things as ban worthy, is now some "ohh she is just a strong independent woman".

EDIT: nvm, I don't think I understand your post correctly. Too many beers.

fucking conspiracy theories man, they're all the rage this year.

Also Smash exists. Bayo 2 won't light the charts on fire(sadly), but it was never their big game this year.
Indeed, Bayonetta 2 is Platinum's swan song for the series. The high scores means it is a great game and nothing else...

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Well deserved. Though I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just want this to be soooo good, and it apparently is!

Good times!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
...the defense force in this thread seems to be displaying massive signs of double standards.

Either point me to where I have blasted on sexualization or please reiterate this to whatever your interpretation of "GAF policy" is. I am not a defense force and I do not represent all feminist narrative across "10+ threads" on GAF discussing female sexuality in games.

That said, you seem to be conflating sexualized with exploitative. I think that's a misstep in interpretation of any work.

the defense force in this thread seems to be displaying massive signs of double standards.

Its a very nuanced argument though; as much as sympathisers with Andrea Dworkin might decry the overt sexualisation of women as objectification and not empowerment, at the very same time extreme right wing religious fundamentalist groups also decry the overt sexualistion of women, with policies that they must be covered up and making their expression of sexuality a crime, or to a lesser extent the concept of slut shaming.

If you have two fundamentally and diametrically opposed viewpoints both uncomfortable with overt female sexuality, its pretty clear that its not exactly a simple argument either for or against.

Having said that, I'm pretty fucking sure Arthur Gies isn't philosophically or intellectually equipped to have that debate, so I don't know why he pinned such an emphasis on it.

V_Arnold

This is not double standards, this is lack of understanding, lack of in-depth investigation.
I have a feeling that it does not help that in the US, whenever there is a sign that boobs will be shown, people are bound to freak out, yet violence is A-OK.

Bayonetta is not helpless. She is in power. The game is sexualized, the game is not sexist. Sexist does not mean what many thinks it means.

Sexism: "unfair treatment of people because of their sex; especially : unfair treatment of women"

This is not present in Bayonetta. Not one bit.
And there are both strong males and females in it. I would say names but it is spoilerish. And even the main mission, to rescue Jeanne is NOT a damsel in distress because she saves Bayonetta in the stage 1, making her more than capable on her own.

Again, I have a feeling that people walking around naked feels like a fast ticket to Hell to some people, because if you take away the scariness of "omg, Bayonetta attacks and suddenly there are no clothes on her" aspect, there is not much left to freak out about. (And the way we handle torture attacks is a whole different topic, ofc.)

Hahahaha!!!!

Never been a Gies fan since he joined 1Up in their final days.He's too cynical and I'm always surprised when people defend his point of the view.

Back to more positive things: Congrats to Platinum for another critically successful game.i hope Legend of Korra get scores in the same ballpark as Bayo2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom