• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altima

The game is fantastic. Nintendo doesn't need to pay anyone for them to give it good reviews.

Also, you're kinda forgetting about Super Smash Bros.

Finally: I hope you know there is a huge target sign on you right now.

It is their chance to draw Bayonetta 1 fan from XBOX360 and PS3.

Super Smash can target only their old customers.

walnuts

Nintendo definitely pay for good reviews.

It is their last chance of this year to sell the system.

butthurt2.jpg

Hey, I have an idea. Can someone start up a gaming forum SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of idiots to have at each other on topics that most NORMAL people don't give two shits about?

So the rest of us can get back to a sense of normality?

Just an idea.

Jintor

Nintendo definitely pay for good reviews.

It is their last chance of this year to sell the system.

I can make this comment make sense by transfer of property.

Nintendo pays for Bayo 2.

Bayo 2 is a fucking incredible game apparently.

Incredible games generate good reviews.

Therefore, Nintendo paid for good reviews.

THERE THE LOGIC CIRCUIT IS COMPLETED

freddy

Banned
I'm a reader. I want to be informed. This review tells me if I had an issue with the "objectification" of the first then I'll have trouble here too. That's informative. It doesn't cease to be informative and/or entertaining because I disagree. That's my bias.

It takes one or two lines to communicate what you just said. That's it. Any more and it becomes an agenda. The review is shit.

Thoraxes

Man I think I may preorder instead of testing my luck at brick and mortar stores at launch.

I can make this comment make sense by transfer of property.

Nintendo pays for Bayo 2.

Bayo 2 is a fucking incredible game apparently.

Incredible games generate good reviews.

Therefore, Nintendo paid for good reviews.

THERE THE LOGIC CIRCUIT IS COMPLETED
You forgot the ending: Half-Life 3 confirmed!

Lol

freddy

Banned
Did Nintendo pay for the original Bayonetta to get similar reviews? Seems like quite the ploy.

I heard they paid for the reviews of GTA5 to build up the franchise on the off chance it will come to a Nintendo system in the next couple of decades.

JDSN

Banned
Hey, I have an idea. Can someone start up a gaming forum SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of idiots to have at each other on topics that most NORMAL people don't give two shits about?

Just an idea.

Are you talking about the Gamespot review? Because it also acknowledges the sexy/sexist argument:
Things get a little more tense as the battle to save the earth rolls on, but the game never takes itself too seriously, punctuating its deeper moments with sarcastic quips from Bayonetta, who--despite suffering crotch shots and blatant innuendos--remains one of the most charismatic and powerful heroines in the medium. There are none of the sleazy moments that peppered the likes of Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer Is Dead; the sexualisation here serves to empower, not to belittle.

I can't wait...
On another note, I checked 3 Videogames magazines covers this morning (France here) that were side by side on the shelf. All 3 were about "the must-have games for christmas", based on a photomontage of all iconic characters of the said games : we had the guy from GTA5, the guy from Assassin Creed, a car from Forza or Driveclub, some dude from Destiny, but I think you got the idea. No bayonetta to be seen.
It's a shame that Nintendo doesn't market the game more but the gaming press doesn't seem to like to put it on the front page.

oti

Banned
Preordered my 1+2 edition a few weeks ago. Delivery will be a bit painful (USK 18) but 60€ for two games is a great deal.

Alx

I always intended to buy it day one anyway... But I have so little time and so many games to play, I haven't even checked the demo yet. :/ (first world problem again)
I'll buy it full price at launch anyway to support the devs, but I wonder if I shouldn't finish Wonderful101 first. Not sure if I'll start with the remixed Bayonetta 1 or go straight to Bayonetta 2 either.
Congratulations to Platinum anyway, seems that they did it again. :)

Shane

It takes one or two lines to communicate what you just said. That's it. Any more and it becomes an agenda. The review is shit.

Quantity does not determine an "agenda". If it's the main criticism of a game (or, for example, a film) then it should be analysed and laid out in the review. There should be no criticism limited by an unwritten word count.

And look, I don't like how Gies writes on or outside of Polygon. Never have. But in the current climate I don't want people to take criticism/analysis of what they perceive to like as a statement upon them in one instance and apply that across the board.

If I'd have reviewed Far Cry 3 I would have spent time discussing why it's morally bankrupt tripe and thus killed possible enjoyment.

Some of my favourite movie critics did a critique of one my favourite films (Evil Dead) and how it's actually a warning on relationships (i.e. Ash must escape the clutches of his girlfriend). I found that a fresh and insightful angle without undermining or affecting my enjoyment and love of the film.

If there's a conversation about how Gies wrote and put forward how he felt that's fine. But I wouldn't want all reviews to be tarnished with a brush that tries to coat any opinion that another doesn't share.

Either point me to where I have blasted on sexualization or please reiterate this to whatever your interpretation of "GAF policy" is. I am not a defense force and I do not represent all feminist narrative across "10+ threads" on GAF discussing female sexuality in games.

That said, you seem to be conflating sexualized with exploitative. I think that's a misstep in interpretation of any work.

I wasn't talking about you mate, but the general sentiment of that statement.
I really like Bayonetta, but I have seen posters on this forum where it was seemingly okay to compare them to neo-nazis or other extreme analogies.

Bayonetta can be as exploitative as any other character depending on the experiences, and personal viewpoints of their own sexuality, which seems to be projected outwardly in a sort of "oh-you-don't-get-it-because-your-sexual-perception-is-not-like-mine".

This is not double standards, this is lack of understanding, lack of in-depth investigation.
I have a feeling that it does not help that in the US, whenever there is a sign that boobs will be shown, people are bound to freak out, yet violence is A-OK.

Bayonetta is not helpless. She is in power. The game is sexualized, the game is not sexist. Sexist does not mean what many thinks it means.

Sexism: "unfair treatment of people because of their sex; especially : unfair treatment of women"

This is not present in Bayonetta. Not one bit.
And there are both strong males and females in it. I would say names but it is spoilerish. And even the main mission, to rescue Jeanne is NOT a damsel in distress because she saves Bayonetta in the stage 1, making her more than capable on her own.

Again, I have a feeling that people walking around naked feels like a fast ticket to Hell to some people, because if you take away the scariness of "omg, Bayonetta attacks and suddenly there are no clothes on her" aspect, there is not much left to freak out about. (And the way we handle torture attacks is a whole different topic, ofc.)

I think there is a lot of truth in this view, but it would be a double standard to dismiss the feelings of another camp who feels its related to skimpyness or physique based styling;

The fact of the matter mate is that a lot of people have been called out for being sexist for defending other strong female characters like Bayonetta.

Most of them are not well designed though in my opinion, and most of them are just as airheaded as their male counterparts. I just think there is double standards in vilifying Polygon for this when they are in fact using some of the exact same terms as there has been talked about so much here on GAF.
It's sad and tirring to see many posters outwardly hate on the reviews who are not in line with what is considered right. Not long ago it was Edge review threads that was full of "lol Edge", and all that. It's getting really old.

JDSN

Banned
No. I am saying that I would like to enter JUST ONE FUCKING THREAD without being bombarded with a gender debate.

Just one.

One.

Pls.

Its a thread about Bayonetta, I honestly dont know what you were expecting or why is your reaction is so visceral.

MrBadger

It's really nice to see all those outstanding reviews. I can take confidence in knowing that the game's basically flawless since the only complaints are the predictable ones about sexualisation.

Alx

91 after 31 reviews, wow, that's excellent! Really happy to see that

Now Nintendo, buy Platinum Games and the Bayonetta Franchise!

Please no, Platinum has been kind enough to provide good games on all platforms, let them share the goods. :)

Quick question, is buying a pro controller worth it on WiiU ? I'm tempted to get one for game like Bayonetta, but I'm not sure I'll own enough games on that platform to justify it.

Sure I did, I just disagree with it and thought I'd have some fun at your expense.

Well, you've explained a lot about yourself in a couple of posts. Thanks.

Its a thread about Bayonetta, I honestly dont know what you were expecting or why is your reaction is so visceral.

My reaction seems so visceral because...hmmm, how should I put it?...you know when you can hear a beehive or hornet's nest nearby and it gets louder as you get closer, until it's this loud annoying, buzzing noise? Yes? No?

That's how I feel. Annoying noise. It achieves nothing, it's just there. To bother people.

Shane

Please no, Platinum has been kind enough to provide good games on all platforms, let them share the goods. :)

Quick question, is buying a pro controller worth it on WiiU ? I'm tempted to get one for game like Bayonetta, but I'm not sure I'll own enough games on that platform to justify it.

I've used one and it was comfortable. They're not cheap though.

yes, it's 100% worth it.

Just an idea.

Yes, let us all instead indulge in perpetual debates over which console has the most Pees.

Gender debates are interesting, if you don't think so, then why bother posting in threads where it's a relevant discussion?

Logsi

Oh snap...just realised they're offering the first game in the Special Edition.

On board the hype train.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Absolutely, and fwiw, it makes a great PC controller if you're worried you wouldn't get much use out of it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I love how are people are suddenly "but he has an opinion!" and apparently opinions cannot be discussed. It's not about the score but a sad attempt at making a "revolutionary criticism" even though it comes off as shallow and ignorant.

That Polygon review is a sad display of boneheaded puritanism. Way to completely miss the point of Bayonetta's character.

Bayonetta is all about power and poise and confidence. The way she exults in her sexuality and wields it as a weapon is entirely consistent with her persona. She's never ever reduced to a sexual ornament for male characters or the audience. She claims equal standing with, or flat out dominates, every man she meets. She's isn't the damsel in distress who waits for the studly hero to sweep her off her feet and save the day. She pulls her own weight and takes care of her friends. Bayonetta is the superhero everyone else relies on. Her sexuality is self-gratifying and intimidating, not inviting, and that's one of the core strengths of her character.

It's worth mentioning that Bayonetta's designer is a woman who took inspiration for Bayonetta's extended proportions from fashion illustrations, whose figures are tall and elegant to emphasize physical grace rather than sexuality. If Bayonetta was supposed to pander to a straight male audience, where are the balloon tits and other stereotypical features of the woman-shaped background props that countless games employ for no other reason than cheap sex appeal? Why the bizarre spider-like limbs and long neck, exaggerated qualities that enhance her acrobatic movements and statuesque poses while she fights? Her design complements her actions, which complement her personality, which complements both.

Bayonetta is a fully realized character, possibly the only self-actualized female protagonist in complete control of her sexuality that the entire medium has to offer. Shame on Arthur Gies for misrepresenting Platinum's great work and failing to celebrate such a progressive character. Shame on Polygon.

Award this man with a medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom