• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead New Bosses and Shop Gameplay Revealed

NEO0MJ

Would love to see a 2D fighter with this art style. So good.

While not the same Skullgirls is pretty close, and the character Peacock emulates it pretty well.

fcwSCb1.gif

These kind of reactions sadden me a bit. We get a million 2D platfomers a year, but how many Alien Soldier throwbacks are out there? Hardly any. I hope the platform levels won't feel tacked on as a result of the platform whining.

At least the boss fights look absolutely incredible.

It would sadden me not to get any nice scrolling bacckground art from the era and its mostly just stationary. And most of those platofmers do have bad level design or a weak gameplay mechanic atleast this one is starting strong on gameplay. Not saying the level design would be made well.

The issue for me is that there aren't any well designed 2d platoformers, nothing with depth and traversing in it's gaps or its actual gameplay. Nothing near a Mario, sonic or even contra for me.

I'd rather someone make a game that is like that than not, but it hasn't happened in a long time. Even nintendo and 2d sonic has failed pretty hard for me.

I'd strongly assume MS has urged them to expand passed just bosses, and I'd say it's the right choice. If its good or not remains to be seen but hopeful.

Arttemis

If it ever comes out. For real though when is the launch date?
Ugh, this sentiment irks me. This is the work of two people, all hand drawn and animated. It takes years to make. Even Assassin's Creed games take 3+ years to make, despite only getting announced 6 months before it ships. It's a game; you'll survive waiting for it while others are working hard to finish it.

Another year of the occasional Cuphead information. Seriously when is this game coming out? Looks great but maybe it was announced too early.

Tesser

Curious to know from anyone attending PAX what the wait-time/surroundings look like for Cuphead, if there have indeed been any cases of waiting just to get hands-on. When I played it at EGX last year, they had to make a separate queue at the Xbox booth since so many wanted to try it out, for good reason.

Alienous

It would sadden me not to get any nice scrolling bacckground art from the era and its mostly just stationary. And most of those platofmers do have bad level design or a weak gameplay mechanic atleast this one is starting strong on gameplay. Not saying the level design would be made well.

The issue for me is that there aren't any well designed 2d platoformers, nothing with depth and traversing in it's gaps or its actual gameplay. Nothing near a Mario, sonic or even contra for me.

I'd rather someone make a game that is like that than not, but it hasn't happened in a long time. Even nintendo and 2d sonic has failed pretty hard for me.

I'd strongly assume MS has urged them to expand passed just bosses, and I'd say it's the right choice. If its good or not remains to be seen but hopeful.

They aren't going to expand past the bullet-hell core and make something like Mario also. I'm sure any levels will just end up distracting from the bosses the game is designed around.

Small-budget games are better off focusing on a niche, and Cuphead seems to already have its.

I mean, feel free to ask whatever you like and I'll answer it if I can.

I have two questions.

Will there be hidden bosses or other cool secrets?

Between the trailers and public showing we've seen a fair few bosses, all of which look awesome I might add. Do you guys still have many bosses under wraps? Because this game keeps surprising me with its creativity and I can't wait to play the game and see what else you guys have cooked up.

Yeah, I got those too - they look fantastic. One of the few times I went with the "standard edition" of something, they look nicer then the SE posters imo.
Yea washed out limited colours is what i expect from cartoons of that time. I will be getting one of the standard versions aswell.

Maybe there's a reason for that?

Most people will rather play a platform game with an extra boss rush mode rather than just a boss rush mode as the main dish. Here, it just seems all effort has gone into cramming as much eye candy as possible on the screen..

Well good thing that this game isnt being marketed as being for everyone isnt it?

Id rather the game stay as it is than become another platformer. People who want Mario, go and play Mario.

Well good thing that this game isnt being marketed as being for everyone isnt it?

Id rather the game stay as it is than become another platformer. People who want Mario, go and play Mario.

Yeah. I mean, there are so many platform games already. It's good to have games that dare to be a bit more niche, otherwise every game would fall in the few genres that dominate gaming as it is.

A challenging run 'n gun game centered around awesome bosses with rich mechanics taken from Japanese classics is something that really stands out in today's gaming climate. I've played the game at Gamescom and it isn't 'just eye candy', it plays really wel.

MrBadger

There does seem to be a handful of "style over substance" comments and the more I think about it, is there anything really wrong with the fact that the art style is the main appeal here? I think the gameplay looks really good too and I'm excited for co-op, but the thing I'm most excited for is seeing what crazy shapes the bosses are going to take next.

Mman235

These kind of reactions sadden me a bit. We get a million 2D platfomers a year, but how many Alien Soldier throwbacks are out there? Hardly any. I hope the platform levels won't feel tacked on as a result of the platform whining.

The more I see of this the more it's looking like Alien Soldier 2 in a style I didn't know I wanted.

Maybe there's a reason for that?

Making a roster of bosses that are all unique, interesting and visually appealing in some way requires far more resources than making good platform sequences (especially as those bosses frequently have platforming elements as well)?

They aren't going to expand past the bullet-hell core and make something like Mario also. I'm sure any levels will just end up distracting from the bosses the game is designed around.

Small-budget games are better off focusing on a niche, and Cuphead seems to already have its.

I mean, its not exactly like saying contra levels would distract from the game but it is. if the game could have grand and a wonderful level based set up I'm all for it. If they can't hack it , I still think it needs something besides waves of bosses for me. I'll still play it cause I like this style of game regardless.

Simbabbad

The last sunflower with a face I saw in a platformer was a little different. Stigmas like you wouldn't believe.
You mean Wario Land's Scumflower?

latest

Interesting that Shake It! and Cuphead have a similar boss, and both games look like an animated movie.

Other than that: designer make the game they want, everything does not have to be the bloody same all the time. This game looks amazing gameplay-wise, and being a boss rush a la Contra boss is a perfectly respectable goal. If you want platformers, you have tons to choose from, including Wario Land Shake It!, BTW. I hope the designers don't feel they must put stuff they don't feel like putting in their game.

Making a roster of bosses that are all unique, interesting and visually appealing in some way requires far more resources than making good platform sequences (especially as those bosses frequently have platforming elements as well)?

Good point. Some of the bosses have as much platforming as dodging and shooting in them. I remember the bee queen boss at Gamescom, which was friggin' awesome (I didn't beat her).

GAF is literally the only place I've encountered where people have whined to make this a traditional platformer. Others who's seen it and played it (like me) just think of it as a rad 2D shooter with stunning graphics. Really hope the devs stick to their guns.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I mean, feel free to ask whatever you like and I'll answer it if I can.

This game looks bloody amazing and I feel like wanting to hang out and nerd out about vintage cartoons. It makes me want to track down a copy of Gulliver's Travels and watch it.

The release date can't come soon enough!

This game looks bloody amazing and I feel like wanting to hang out and nerd out about vintage cartoons. It makes me want to track down a copy of Gulliver's Travels and watch it.

The release date can't come soon enough!

Make sure you get the Thunderbean version:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITE4XUM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

do NOT get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M6SH7Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Fleischerwise, Thunderbean also released some other miscellaneous Fleischer stuff on DVD. Popeye's available, and I'm sure you know about the lame superman BD release as that got some decent press. And there's some Betty Boop blurays out in america too which are pretty good - and they have my favourite boop cartoon ever, "Betty Boop's Bizzy Bee". :)

I have a region free dvd/bluray player, so I don't know how much - if any of this will work on your region though.

Teeth

I have two questions.

Will there be hidden bosses or other cool secrets?

Between the trailers and public showing we've seen a fair few bosses, all of which look awesome I might add. Do you guys still have many bosses under wraps? Because this game keeps surprising me with its creativity and I can't wait to play the game and see what else you guys have cooked up.

There will be secrets. There's two things about secrets that i need to say: as far as a scope of work goes, really elaborate secrets get cut because devs need to focus their limited time on core things to make sure the portions of the game that everyone plays are the best they can be. That said, we recognize that putting secrets in a game world can pay dividends on inspiring wonder, mystery, and exploration beyond what is directly presented, and that has great value.
The second thing is, if I talked about the scope or material of what secrets there are or could be, would they be secrets anymore? Would they feel as fun if you found them?

Yes, we have a bunch of bosses under wraps. And the majority of the ones we've shown have forms that haven't been seen yet. I was a little against showing the final forms of some of the bosses in this demo (you're seeing basically the entire Blimp Lady/Moon fight here, ditto for the Flower/Saiyan Flower) but people have responded to them well, so I guess it's been worth it. On the other bosses shown, for example, the Phantom Train boss demo only showed two of his four forms, the Dragon only showed one of three (or two of four, depending on how you look at it).

There's lots left to see, including some real madness.

There will be secrets. There's two things about secrets that i need to say: as far as a scope of work goes, really elaborate secrets get cut because devs need to focus their limited time on core things to make sure the portions of the game that everyone plays are the best they can be. That said, we recognize that putting secrets in a game world can pay dividends on inspiring wonder, mystery, and exploration beyond what is directly presented, and that has great value.
The second thing is, if I talked about the scope or material of what secrets there are or could be, would they be secrets anymore? Would they feel as fun if you found them?

Yes, we have a bunch of bosses under wraps. And the majority of the ones we've shown have forms that haven't been seen yet. I was a little against showing the final forms of some of the bosses in this demo (you're seeing basically the entire Blimp Lady/Moon fight here, ditto for the Flower/Saiyan Flower) but people have responded to them well, so I guess it's been worth it. On the other bosses shown, for example, the Phantom Train boss demo only showed two of his four forms, the Dragon only showed one of three (or two of four, depending on how you look at it).

Awesome. Thanks for the elaborate answer.

Excellent. Not even going to watch this newest gameplay. Just announce a date and you've got my money.

Awesome!

Yep, I agree with you. Games that focus on boss fights, like Alien Soldier, Contra Hard Corps, Punch-Out!!, and Monster Hunter are some of my favorite gaming experiences.

https://youtu.be/VNttqN1wUMY?t=3m36s

I always felt this game was at least partially inspired by this short, and my evidence just keeps piling up :p

Hah, nice catch. I remember watching that short when it was referenced in a Kill Screen article by Clayton Purdom, that they're going for the darker Max Fleischer cartoons of that era before the Hays Code like "Swing You Sinners" and the fact that the design for the cup was directly inspired from a Japanese propaganda animation where Mickey Mouse representing the West is the villain.

If you want to know where Studio MDHR’s Cuphead came from, look at the cow udders, which were everywhere in the early days of animation, as if they were the cultural muse that sparked the whole movement. And then they were gone: the puritanical Hays Code swept through Hollywood, “cleaning it up” by removing all traces of sexuality, heteronormative or otherwise, from American movies. In live-action film, this meant thirty-some years of repressed sexuality and of good guys blandly triumphing over evil. In animation, this meant a lot of animals were now wearing pants, and it meant cows no longer had udders. “There was something that was lost once all of this ‘Let’s clean it up for the family’ came in,” Chad Moldenhauer, of Studio MDHR, told me.

But if you want to know where Cuphead actually came from—like, actually, actually—look at this Japanese propaganda film from 1936, in which a bunch of evil Mickey Mouses are fended off by Japanese forces. (Animation was globally insane back then.) You see that teacup-headed man that turns into a tank, five minutes in? That’s Cuphead’s great-grandpa.

“We just thought, well, let’s try that,” Moldenhauer told me. “We thought it was so odd. I drew a couple versions of it and right away it stuck.”​

cuphead_japanese_propaganda_by_digi_matrix-da07ie1.gif

Top Bottom