• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It has been a full year since WoW's last content patch - 6.2, Fury of Hellfire

TheYanger

I would rather have that amount of content delivered every 3months rather then sitting on the same content for over a year.

+you do realize those hard dungeons are completely new settings with new bosses and mechanics.

There not just the old dungeons with buffed up old enemies.

I would rather have the same amount of content delivered at a more measured pace as well, if you read the thread you'd see me say that like 5 times already. Too bad FF14 probably has like half that. In terms of what we would consider a 'raid' boss, it's had 21 in like 4 years. Then you can tack on the 24 player stuff but that's basically wow LFR level, which there are 24 bosses total in. So even counting the bullshit you've got basically 45 bosses in 4 years. Wow had 43 in MoP and 30 in warlords, and warlords is BY FAR the thinnest expansion they've ever made.

Don't even get me started on dungeons, FF14 has entertaining dungeons but they literally drip feed them out over the expansion and leave you with 1 to do in ARR and 2 to do in Heavensward for the first 3 months. Forcing me to do Neverreap and Fractal over and over and over for tomestones is worse than just not having endgame dungeons. 100%.

Freeman76

There are hundreds of thousands of players who dont even see it as a game, more of a social space to meet up and chat online. Everyone else just unsubs and resubs as and when

Man, if FF14 was even half as good as people hype it up to be it would have more subscribers than WoW.

Reality is, it's really not.

Agreed, it's a sad thing that FFXV made me appreciate WoW more even in its current state. I kept hearing how great it was from Gaffers and friends on PS4. So I picked it up on PC and played with a group of 5 or 6 friends for about two months. I have Heavensward which I had planned to play after ARR. However, after the slog of fetch questing I just cannot bring myself to play Heavesnward. I'm a big time Raider in MMO's and I just have absolutely no interest in touching it again even for that content. I barely got into the end game. Everything from the instanced towns, to questing, to Combat with GCD's just made me feel aggravated. I just feel like I'm grasping for that experience I had with WoW up until Cataclysm and then with SWTOR on release but just keep end up dissapointed.

I did do a few high level dungeons and raids content in ARR and watched videos on Heavensward. But it just doesn't have the same magic to me.

Acerac

Banned
We've know for a long time that that would be the last content patch WoD would get.

This is routine at this point, why would anyone honestly be surprised anymore? Just un-sub.
I think your post works better this way.

People keep giving Blizz money for this amount of content, I'm not shocked that they continue at this pace. Frustrated, but not at all shocked.

CHC

It has more active players then wow

Highly doubtful. As of last summer FF had 5 million ACCOUNTS, not active subscribers. They probably have slightly over a million actively playing.

The last numbers from WoW were 5.5 million in fall 2015. I would bet almost anything that the figure is under 4 million right now. A shameful number for WoW but still way in front of FFXIV.

Arkeband

Banned
It has more active players then wow

Judging by all metrics available to the public, FFXIV has less than a million active accounts. (and this seems to have been dropping steadily)

WoW had between 5 and 6 million last year, so don't be dumb.

I feel like the FFXIV players on this board tend to oversell their game to the point where they construct complete fabrications about it in an attempt to get other people to play it.

We get it, it's your first MMO, you don't understand what good netcode is, or what an actual seamless world would be like.

Lyng

Judging by all metrics available to the public, FFXIV has less than a million active accounts. (and this seems to have been dropping steadily)

WoW had between 5 and 6 million last year, so don't be dumb.

I feel like the FFXIV players on this board tend to oversell their game to the point where they construct complete fabrications about it in an attempt to get other people to play it.

We get it, it's your first MMO, you don't understand what good netcode is, or what an actual seamless world would be like.

Sorry I wrote active players instead of active accounts. Not the same thing of course.

The last part of your post is just complete fanboy bullshit though.

hiryu

This thread is funny because I just resubscribed two weeks ago after not having played in 1.5 years and I'm having a blast just doing Tanaan Jungle on multiple characters.

I'm pretty hyped for legion.

Lyng

This thread is funny because I just resubscribed two weeks ago after not having played in 1.5 years and I'm having a blast just doing Tanaan Jungle on multiple characters.

I think alot of people are.

I was very hyped for Warlords of Draenor, which then turned out to be horrible.
The way they began focusing on story content and making that more interesting, was a great few steps.

Maybe Legion can bring wow back to former glory. Based on their expansions since Wotlk, its highly doubtful, but one can still hope.

Mupod

it's funny that if I'd kept playing for a couple more months I'd have seen pretty much everything. Guild fell apart though.

Friends are bugging me to play in Legion again. Ugh.

Arkeband

Banned
Sorry I wrote active players instead of active accounts. Not the same thing of course.

The last part of your post is just complete fanboy bullshit though.

It's not fanboy bullshit, FFXIV is literally a bunch of cells stitched together with loading screens, WoW had a seamless world 12 years ago, and FFXIV's netcode is frequently referenced as the sole reason for why it doesn't have half the things other MMO's have.

"Increase inventory space? Why, do you know how much strain that would place on our servers!?"

"Add a boolean flag to items to allow them to be placed in the armoire? Do you know how much strain that would place on our servers?!"

By all accounts the code sounds like Frankenstein's monster, and that's saying something when WoW's code is known for being equally hellish.

FFXIV relaunched 3 years ago and you still can't access your friends list or message people back on your server while you're in a dungeon. WTF?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They're basically just standing there with a look of mildly growing confusion on their face as people continue to put money in their extended hand. I can't really blame them.

If you want WoW2 or for them to actually rethink their approach to WoW updates, cancel your subscription.

WoW2 isn't going to exist because the MMO market is dangerous right now and Blzzard isn't going to jump into a new, huge investment. Right after their last attempt at making a new MMO failed.

Cancelling your subs will do nothing but hurt the current style of game and scare off any future attempts of someone making something in that genre.

Thorgal

You do realize that after running those same new dungeons 7-10 times a week to cap on tomes, they kinda lose their luster, right? It matters very little what is in them when you burnout on them by the 2nd week of them being new. After playing 14 for 2 years and having to listen to people complain about how boring said new dungeons are right out the gate, they are almost insignificant in terms of actual noteworthy content being added.

yes of course , after running a dungeon multiple times it loses its wow factor but that is happening to all dungeons and raids in every mmo in existence .
Also nobody is forcing you to cap Tomes every single week , you do that of your own volition

and for the record , SE has admitted they made last few dungeons too easy .
The new 24 man raid and latest trial is switching it up again and is turning out to be a nice wakeup call .

I would rather have the same amount of content delivered at a more measured pace as well, if you read the thread you'd see me say that like 5 times already. Too bad FF14 probably has like half that. In terms of what we would consider a 'raid' boss, it's had 21 in like 4 years. Then you can tack on the 24 player stuff but that's basically wow LFR level, which there are 24 bosses total in. So even counting the bullshit you've got basically 45 bosses in 4 years. Wow had 43 in MoP and 30 in warlords, and warlords is BY FAR the thinnest expansion they've ever made.

Don't even get me started on dungeons, FF14 has entertaining dungeons but they literally drip feed them out over the expansion and leave you with 1 to do in ARR and 2 to do in Heavensward for the first 3 months. Forcing me to do Neverreap and Fractal over and over and over for tomestones is worse than just not having endgame dungeons. 100%.

Unfortunately i have never played WOW so i cannot debate on whether or not those bosses are all unique with their own unique mechanics and how well designed they are compared to FF14. however , in regards to to the second part of your post , is it any different then doing the same wow dungeon /raid over and over and over again for the right drop ?

Agreed, it's a sad thing that FFXV made me appreciate WoW more even in its current state. I kept hearing how great it was from Gaffers and friends on PS4. So I picked it up on PC and played with a group of 5 or 6 friends for about two months. I have Heavensward which I had planned to play after ARR. However, after the slog of fetch questing I just cannot bring myself to play Heavesnward. I'm a big time Raider in MMO's and I just have absolutely no interest in touching it again even for that content. I barely got into the end game. Everything from the instanced towns, to questing, to Combat with GCD's just made me feel aggravated. I just feel like I'm grasping for that experience I had with WoW up until Cataclysm and then with SWTOR on release but just keep end up dissapointed.

I did do a few high level dungeons and raids content in ARR and watched videos on Heavensward. But it just doesn't have the same magic to me.

Clearly the game is not for you , which is fair , but it is by no means bad .

Also nobody is forcing you to cap Tomes every single week , you do that of your own volition

I'm assuming you're not part of an Alexander team or did Coil when it was new, if you actually believe this. You won't last long in a progression team if you "don't feel the need to cap every week". Being "that guy" is a good way to make sure you don't raid when content is new.

Soroc

This is how I approach both WoW and FFXIV now. I play the expacs for a month or 2 after launch then unsub until about 6-9 months before the next xpac and consume all the patch content over that course of time. Seems to keep me entertained and not hitting those burnout periods of trying to consume the latest content too quickly.

WoW i just came back a couple months ago and finished tanaan jungle, flying in draenor and just about to finish up my legendary ring (need 3 more Tomes) then I'm unsubbing and may not even do legion at launch.

Just about to start FFXIV back up now and go through 3.1 > 3.3 content.

It's not fanboy bullshit, FFXIV is literally a bunch of cells stitched together with loading screens, WoW had a seamless world 12 years ago, and FFXIV's netcode is frequently referenced as the sole reason for why it doesn't have half the things other MMO's have.

"Increase inventory space? Why, do you know how much strain that would place on our servers!?"

"Add a boolean flag to items to allow them to be placed in the armoire? Do you know how much strain that would place on our servers?!"

By all accounts the code sounds like Frankenstein's monster, and that's saying something when WoW's code is known for being equally hellish.

FFXIV relaunched 3 years ago and you still can't access your friends list or message people back on your server while you're in a dungeon. WTF?

PS3 definitely holds back FFXIV. Time will tell what they do and change once they ditch the PS3 and focus on PC/PS4/probably NEO

Arkeband

Banned
Unfortunately i have never played WOW so i cannot debate on whether or not those bosses are all unique with their own unique mechanics and how well designed they are compared to FF14. however , in regards to to the second part of your post , is it any different then doing the same wow dungeon /raid over and over and over again for the right drop ?

See this is the problem when you have no barometer. You haven't played the most successful MMO in gaming history, yet you're still wading into conversation to defend FFXIV.

This is what a WoW dungeon run can provide:

Reputation for factions (FFXIV beast tribes, its only reputation grinds, are gated so you can only get X reputation each day)
A fairly large gear pool due to WoW's itemization (randomized affixes, etc) (FFXIV cannot currently provide this)
Rare drops like recipes, gems, chests that can appear and actually give useful items (FFXIV bestows you with pointless X-potions if you're lucky, or gear you'll immediately trash into GC seals)
Achievements (FFXIV has achievements, but has never supported alternate boss strategies or things to do within dungeons to provide replay value)
Time attacks where it has robust support for tracking how quickly you can clear dungeons and compare them with friends. (FFXIV shows you how long the dungeon took at the end, but it doesn't mean anything, and half the playerbase has no interest in actually finishing them in any reasonable timeframe, "it's my 12 dollars I'll blizzard 2 the whole dungeon if I feel like it")
And that's not an exhaustive list because I haven't played WoW in a while, and obviously it also includes your standard MMO tokens/tomes for entry level raid tier gear.

For all of its current faults and content droughts, WoW objectively does it better.

RPGCrazied

The one thing I hate most about WoW is the content drought towards the end of an expansion. We shouldn't be waiting a year + for some new content to be given to the players. Unacceptable. We pay monthly for this.

adversarial

I've been playing since Nov 2004, taking a few months break every time the content dries up, didn't play Mists, came back for WOD. Legion looks like a step in the right direction, but Blizz has been saying the same stuff for years now, half of which doesn't get implemented. I suppose it's hard to stay passionate about a product 12 years running, especially now that they have 2 other power-house games (Hearthstone / Overwatch)

Thorgal

I'm assuming you're not part of an Alexander team or did Coil when it was new, if you actually believe this. You won't last long in a progression team if you "don't feel the need to cap every week". Being "that guy" is a good way to make sure you don't raid when content is new.

no ? just like 95% of the entire player base isn't .

also there are other l raidgroups beyond hardcore world first progression. casual raidgroups.

hell , my FC is just now starting up on A5S.

Tanaan Jungle...is just awful. Its nothing compared to Timeless Isle.

World of Warcraft's support is almost criticism proof now just because it is still up and running in a recognizable form after 12 years. When you look back at the last 12 years of MMOs there are a lot of other examples of games that were supported for a couple of years and dumped, or sold to another company which hacked them into free2play monstrosities. Can anyone name an MMO that had better support than WOW?

Gnomist

hiryu said:

MetroidPrimeRib said:
Tanaan Jungle...is just awful. Its nothing compared to Timeless Isle.

lol I had taken a break from WoD and came back for a month or two with a friend and casually went through Tanaan and had a good time. Maybe it was the break that partially colored the experience but I really enjoyed that area with all the secrets to discover and nooks and crannies hiding rares or collectibles. It was enjoyable to explore and I was still discovering new mobs and items for a few weeks. It made me excited to see them pursue this direction for Legion's new zones.

KLoWn

I think your post works better this way.

People keep giving Blizz money for this amount of content, I'm not shocked that they continue at this pace. Frustrated, but not at all shocked.
The only time I'm giving them money nowadays is when an expansion drops, and that's a lot of content. Even though I've gone from hardcore to super casual when it comes to WoW I still get a minimum of two months of fun playtime out of an expansion before I bow out. Well worth the money imo.

For the people still subbing through these droughts... Not so much i guess, but it's their choice to stay subbed, and with that their problem tbh. Just unsub.

I was very hyped for Warlords of Draenor, which then turned out to be horrible.
Are you saying you thought the expansion was bad even before the content drought hit? If so I disagree.

The one thing I hate most about WoW is the content drought towards the end of an expansion. We shouldn't be waiting a year + for some new content to be given to the players. Unacceptable. We pay monthly for this.
Well why are you choosing to pay for nothing then? Just unsuuuuub until the next content patch or expansion!

shoreu

Honestly there is no MMO competing with wow's feature set

Top Bottom