• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Century's Episode R |OT| Manly mecha actions joins the HD generation

61vlmVhzn6L._SL500_300_.jpg

Another Century's Episode R
Platform: PS3
Developer: FROM Software/SRW Productions
Publisher: Banpresto/Bandai Namco Games
Official website: www.ace-game.jp
Genre: Fucking awesome mecha mash-up manly awesomeness.
Release date:
  • Japan: August 19th, 2010
  • Asia: Yes Asia took down their listing, and it was never solicited anywhere else. It does not appear to exist.
  • North America: Yeah... nope.
  • Europe: You're kidding, right?

Where to buy ACE R:
www.ncsx.com
www.playasia.com
www.yesasia.com
www.amazon.co.jp (does not ship outside Japan)

Reviews
Weekly Famitsu: 9, 8, 9, 7 (33/40)
  • Playing through one route takes 12 hours
  • The graphics and feel of speed are first rate
  • The game has good tempo
  • You'll be able to enjoy a level of volume not seen in past entries
  • The stages and missions are full of variation
  • The game feels fast and refreshing
  • The feel of the game changes based off the mech
  • If you like robot anime, you'll definitely get sucked into the game
  • Even if you're not a fan of the original works, you'll enjoy yourself
  • Choosing the enemy you lock on to is difficult (from the person who gave the game a 7).

Dengeki:
65/70/85/90

Pros:
+High speed battle feel is great
+good story
+new systems are great
+you feel the love put into the robots
+there's tons of content
+nice to be able to start with any series
+BGM edit is a fun feature

Cons:
-Camera/Targeting is bad & stressful
-can't change difficulty mid-game
-unskippable cutscenes are annoying after retrying from deaths
-even with the tutorial the controls/systems are hard to understand
-unfortunate that each series intro missions are wildly different in difficulty and don't tell you beforehand how hard they are.
-occasionally keeping track of the enemy is difficult
-lack of unique combination attacks is disappointing

Awesome manly mecha info:
A new dynamic shooting mode called Chase Mode has been added to the game. This mode is similar to arcade shooters wherein the player's machine moves on rails and leaves the targeting weapons for the player to control. Six Axis motion controls can be used during Chase Mode. Each chase mode section precedes a boss battle; the examples released so far include the battle against the Behemoth from Full Metal Panic! and the battle against Nora Polyansky from Macross Zero. It is currently unknown if the player can change the unit which participates in chase mode.

It has been announced that in addition to charge attacks, a new ability called Burst Attack will be appearing in this installment. Burst attack is available to all units, and is a special charge attack that changes depending on what pilot the player currently have in your machine. There are currently no known examples of new attacks gained by switching pilots yet. On that note, this is the first title in the A.C.E. series that allows to swap pilots between machines.

Mecha series available:
* Super Dimension Century Orguss *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ Orguss (Pilot: Kei Katsuragi-voiced by Sho Hayami)
+ Orguss II (Pilot: Olson D. Verne-voiced by Kenyuu Horiuchi)
+ MBG-24C Nikick (Pilot: Athena Henderson-voiced by Masako Katsuki)

* Mobile Suit Z Gundam
o Playable Mecha
+ MSZ-006 Z Gundam (Default Pilot: Kamille Bidan-voiced by Nobuo Tobita)
+ MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki (Default Pilot: Quattro Bajeena-voiced by Shuichi Ikeda)
+ MSK-008 Dijeh (Default Pilot: Amuro Ray-voiced by Tohru Furuya)
+ MSZ-006-3 Z Gundam Unit 3 (White Unicorn custom) (Default Pilot: Unknown)
# Note: The Z Gundam Unit 3 (White Unicorn custom) is a unit from Green Divers, and pre-ordering the game lets you use this machine from the beginning instead of unlocking it later. It should be noted that you need to have a Japanese PlayStation Network account to attain the Z Gundam Unit 3 early.

* Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
o Playable Mecha
+ RX-93 ν Gundam (Default Pilot: Amuro Ray)

* Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ XM-X1 (F97) Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai(Default Pilot: Kinkaid Nau/Seabook Arno-voiced by Koji Tsujitani)
+ XM-X3 (F97) Crossbone Gundam X-3 (Default Pilot: Tobia Arronax-voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi)

* Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam (Pilot: Shinn Asuka - voiced by Kenichi Suzumura)
+ ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam (Pilot: Kira Yamato - voiced by Soichiro Hoshi)
+ ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam (Pilot: Athrun Zala - voiced by Akira Ishida)

* Full Metal Panic! *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ ARX-7 Arbalest (Pilot: Sousuke Sagara-voiced by Tomokazu Seki)
+ M9 (Pilot: Melissa Mao-voiced by Michiko Neya)
+ M9 (Pilot: Kurz Weber-voiced by Shinichiro Miki)
+ Bonta-Kun
# Note: Bonta-Kun is a unit from Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, as being a spoiler of the series, the press-release did not mention any data about its "pilot".

* Overman King Gainer
o Playable Mecha
+ King Gainer (Pilot: Gainer Sanga-voiced by Hirofumi Nojima)
+ Dominator (Pilot: Cynthia Lane-voiced by Rena Mizuki)
+ Xan (Pilot: Unknown)

* Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ Lancelot Conquista (Pilot: Suzaku Kururugi-voiced by Takahiro Sakurai)
+ Lancelot Albion (Pilot: Suzaku Kururugi)
+ Guren Aerial-Type (Pilot: Kallen Stadtfeld-voiced by Ami Koshimizu)
+ Guren S.E.I.T.E.N. Eight Elements (Pilot: Kallen Stadtfeld)
+ Shinkirō (Pilot: Zero/Lelouch Lamperouge/Lelouch vi Britannia-voiced by Jun Fukuyama)
+ Akatsuki Command Model C.C. Custom (Pilot: C.C.-voiced by Yukana)

* Genesis of Aquarion *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ Solar Aquarion (Pilot: Apollo- voiced by Takuma Terashima)
+ Aquarion Mars (Pilot: Sirius de Alisia-voiced by Tomokazu Sugita)
+ Aquarion Luna (Pilot: Silvia de Alisia-voiced by Yumi Kakazu)
# Note: Hong Lihua, Pierre Viera, Rena Rune, Tsugumi Rosenmeier, and Jun Lee are also available as substitute pilots.

* Macross Zero *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ VF-0A Phoenix (Pilot: Shin Kudo-voiced by Kenichi Suzumura)
+ VF-0A + QF-2200A "Angel" Phoenix (Pilot: Shin Kudo)

* Macross Frontier *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ VF-25F Messiah Alto Custom (Pilot: Alto Saotome-voiced byYuichi Nakamura)
+ VF-25F + SPS-25S/MF25 Super Messiah Alto Custom (Pilot: Alto Saotome)
+ VF-25F + APS-25A/MF25 Armored Messiah Alto Custom (Pilot: Alto Saotome)
+ VF-25S Messiah Ozma Custom (Pilot: Ozma Lee-voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi)
+ VF-25S + SPS-25S/MF25 Super Messiah Ozma Custom (Pilot: Ozma Lee)
+ VF-25S + APS-25A/MF25 Armored Messiah Ozma Custom (Pilot: Ozma Lee)
+ VF-25G Messiah Mikhail Custom (Pilot: Mikhail Blanc-voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya)
+ VF-25G + SPS-25S/MF25 Sniper Messiah Mikhail Custom (Pilot: Mikhail Blanc)
+ RFV-25 Messiah Luca Custom (Pilot: Luca Angelloni-voiced by Jun Fukuyama)
+ RFV-25 + SPS-25S/MF25 Super Messiah Luca Custom (Pilot: Luca Angelloni)
+ Queadluun-Rea Klan Custom (Pilot: Klan Klang-voiced by Megumi Toyoguchi)

* Super Robot Wars Original Generations *NEW*
o Playable Mecha
+ Alt Eisen Reise (Pilot: Kyosuke Nanbu-voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa)
+ Cybuster (Pilot: Masaki Andoh-voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa)
+ ART-1 (Pilot: Ryusei Date-voiced by Shinichiro Miki)

* A.C.E. Originals
o Playable Mecha
+ Alpharto (Pilot: Autumn Fou-voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro)

Trophy List:
COMING SOON!

Gameplay videos:
Live streams:
http://fr.justin.tv/def_Ender#/w/322867136/2
http://ja.justin.tv/a/hhhmiruru/b/268514639

Screenshots:
df91xc.jpg

2061wgp.jpg

15psne1.jpg

25poill.jpg
]
oap0d5.jpg

15cytdt.jpg

a9mqv9.jpg

29foyue.jpg

5ywwhj.jpg

fmhn47.jpg

k4a32h.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Nice opening, but yeah kindaaaa early. Will probably get locked and then reopened a week before release date.

Lucis

i was going to make one with in game videos captures like the wkc2 one. but didn't expect it to be this early....

oh well lol

V-Gief

Kirashi said:
i was going to make one with in game videos captures like the wkc2 one. but didn't expect it to be this early....

oh well lol
By all means, please do capture what you play anyways! Been enjoying your WKC2 caps so far.

Varion

Damn, so soon. This game slipped off my radar a few months after it was announced, and all of a sudden it's less than a month off.

Oh well, this thread reminded me I need to get my preorder in. Time to do so.

Kirashi said:

oh well lol

Send them my way and I can add them in when they're ready and give you credit.

But yeah, by all means lock it, I know it's nothing personal.

In my excitement for this game I COMPLETELY forgot that I haven't finished ACE3. I should probably work on that. Ive had it for years.

matmanx1

Yeah I'm getting from PA as well but chose the slower shipping option so probably more like day 10 for me as well =P

Anyway, thanks for the OT!

mujun

Reading the original thread got me hyped for this game. That was until I saw the first gameplay video. I can't see the fun there myself.

VERY VERY tempted for this game although I really don't have the money...

Might have to go pick up one of the earlier ACE games and give them a try....

28umstv.jpg

Black Overman Gainer XAN (from the Gainer novels and Super Robot Wars Z Special Disk) appears to be in ACE R.

Shadow780 said:
Yes sir!

Day One
5~10 depends on PA speed
:lol

Pre-order DLC should be included in the case right?

Yeah, I'm guessing it will be a paper slip inside the case like the anime DLC that came with first pressings of Gundam 0081.

ijed

Open for business?

9 days away and I'm struggling to fight the urge to press the "pre-order me now button" - or will it be much cheaper in a months time?

Game looks all sorts of awesome tho and the chase mode looks great - reminded me of the rocket booster bits in amoured core crossed with sin and punishment ... pity there's no multiplayer action tho.

2ch comments said:
it feels like ACE 3. The graphics are indeed beautiful, but Sheryl's song makes the tension up even more
According to Terada-san, the most easy units to use are King Gainer and Destiny. Valkyrie is kinda hard if you can't use the different forms properly. It seems that Klan's unit is kinda easy to use. Bonta-kun is Terada-san and Aizawa-san's favorite.

ijed said:
Open for business?

9 days away and I'm struggling to fight the urge to press the "pre-order me now button" - or will it be much cheaper in a months time?

Cheaper a month after it's been released, I'm sure. But how can you resist the instant gratification of manly mechaness?

Bebpo

Banned
So I was thinking that maybe the reason there's no vocal songs in this one is they're going to sell them as DLC?

This is Banpresto's first big PS3 game and we don't know their stance on DLC. But if they look at Bandai's stance on Gundam DLC with 0081, then DLC would seem likely for this game.

I could see them adding new units and vocal songs and charging for them.

I really just want my vocal songs back (>_<)

TreIII

Davidion said:
Really would have been nice to have a fucking US release...*grits teeth*

You might as well get such ideas out of your head. These games are in the same boat as SRW. If the "niche-ness" of it all doesn't remind you of that much, simply remember that the likes of Harmony Gold will always make it so we don't get nice things. :lol

@Bebpo: Vocal tracks I could see. But if Amuro's Zeta wasn't made into a DLC code exclusive for pre-orders when they CLEARLY had such an opportunity, I don't see any extra units being made in a similar way. Might as well save any other extra units that won't impact the storyline any for the next game...

MechaX

TreIII said:
You might as well get such ideas out of your head. These games are in the same boat as SRW. If the "niche-ness" of it all doesn't remind you of that much, simply remember that the likes of Harmony Gold will always make it so we don't get nice things. :lol

Well, in his defense, Harmony Gold did have some stake in Gatchaman and Casshern and Capcom managed to still pry them out of Harmony Gold's hands. ... But I think those were the OVAs and Harmony Gold single-handedly decapitated any building efforts for Macross overseas by blocking essentially every single new series according to word of mouth. Hell, ADV being able to release the original Macross untouched was nothing short of unexpected. That, and Macross has had legal problems in Japan as well in terms of international distribution, which doesn't help much either.

I'm not saying ACE has a chance in hell for an english release, but it at least has a better chance than the licensing nightmare that would be a normal SRW game.

Bebpo

Banned
Apparently the game has extensive custom mp3 support to make up for no licensed songs. Before each mission you can choose which mp3 to use if you don't want to use any of the default bgms. So you can recreate a vocal edition like ACE3 by sticking the songs on your hard drive.

I was bored so I made my picks for songs to use for each unit:

Destiny -OP1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVUnvmaE7g&feature=related
Strike Freedom / Infinite Justice - OP4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU0WNt2cWgg

Geass
Lelouche - R1 OP2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYL2-OhbBZQ&feature=related
Suzaku/Karen R2 OP1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQhapevqb_0&feature=related
Whichever unit you won't use R2 OP2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se6wBWb-M20&feature=related

Gainer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97j86qH91Nk duh

Sousuke/Bonta - Fumoffu OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmGqoT3izgk&feature=related
FMP support - OP1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6E6XH51wJA

Zeta - OP1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3iyvzmM0CY&feature=related

Aquarion - OP1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Nn-yOAwH0

Orguss - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfGtSgPRhw

Macross F main unit OP1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQEthcuk0zw&feature=related
others - OP2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-aw3Xu1Bvk&feature=related

SRW OG - BGM

Crossbone - BGM

CCA - BGM

Macross Zero - BGM

JKTrix

Well now, that certainly does make up for the lack of licensed songs quite a bit. I hope my copy gets here real quick.

TimeKillr

Watching the promo movie on the site, I have a few questions. It looks insanely awesome, but I still want to know a few things before I import :)

1- Is the game playable if you don't know japanese? For reference, SRW is playable because I can get by with translation sheets for skills (I pretty much know them all by heart now anyway) and story recaps, but if this is remotely like Armored Core (I'd guess since it's a mecha game from From Software) with the level of customization I've seen in Armored Core it'd be really difficult to effectively play. Missions are also kind of problematic in SRW sometimes, especially the last DS one, where I *have* to use FAQs for where I am since the mission objectives are so convoluted - "Kill this unit with this unit, then kill this unit with this unit, then kill this unit with this unit. Oh, you killed with the wrong one? Game over!". Oh, and you better know all those obscure japanese mecha series, otherwise be prepared to search all over the web to know what units they are referencing :)

2- Speaking of Armored Core, does this play like it? From the videos it looks like it plays a bit like AC but just faster paced. I don't especially like AC because it always feels... slow and overly complex. Might just be me, though.

Seeing the OG units in the trailer made me go weak in the knees. Cybuster + Altesein = wooo! :)

Preordered from AmiAmi, but mostly because of all the figures I'm getting this month too. Means I won't have it for another couple of weeks, but oh well. Very excited for Crossbone, Arbalest, and Bonta-kun; great news about the custom soundtracks as well :D. Though I'm wondering if this means I should get around to watching Code Geass and Overman King Gainer at some point.

xero273

TimeKillr said:
Watching the promo movie on the site, I have a few questions. It looks insanely awesome, but I still want to know a few things before I import :)

1- Is the game playable if you don't know japanese? For reference, SRW is playable because I can get by with translation sheets for skills (I pretty much know them all by heart now anyway) and story recaps, but if this is remotely like Armored Core (I'd guess since it's a mecha game from From Software) with the level of customization I've seen in Armored Core it'd be really difficult to effectively play. Missions are also kind of problematic in SRW sometimes, especially the last DS one, where I *have* to use FAQs for where I am since the mission objectives are so convoluted - "Kill this unit with this unit, then kill this unit with this unit, then kill this unit with this unit. Oh, you killed with the wrong one? Game over!". Oh, and you better know all those obscure japanese mecha series, otherwise be prepared to search all over the web to know what units they are referencing :)

2- Speaking of Armored Core, does this play like it? From the videos it looks like it plays a bit like AC but just faster paced. I don't especially like AC because it always feels... slow and overly complex. Might just be me, though.

Seeing the OG units in the trailer made me go weak in the knees. Cybuster + Altesein = wooo! :)

shouldn't be that hard to play. From what I remember in ACE 3, there is no buying part to upgrade units. The only thing you can do to upgrade units is there stats. Mission wise it is pretty much go to this point and destroy all enemies.

Shouta

Haha, Sofmap is done taking preorders on their website for the game. That's absolutely amazing to me. Gotta order from Yodobashi now.

Zengar

Still waiting for Amiami. I'm watching the live streaming now, the battle system is much better than ACE3, each unit plays differently.

Bebpo

Banned
TimeKillr said:

Much more import friendly than SRW. Outside of maybe a map or two that has a unique objective "defense X", you just fly around and shoot stuff with all your attacks until there's no more enemies left.

ElyrionX

I don't understand this at all. How hard/expensive can it be to provide English menu and subtitles for the game. I'm not even talking about speech here. Given that the PS3 is region-free, it totally makes sense for them to do something like that since people who want to buy it can just import it. In the long run, it's better exposure for the game and the studio.

TimeKillr

Bebpo said:
Much more import friendly than SRW. Outside of maybe a map or two that has a unique objective "defense X", you just fly around and shoot stuff with all your attacks until there's no more enemies left.

What about gameplay?

AC-like or quite different?

I wasn't 100% sure as to how it played.

xero273

ElyrionX said:
I don't understand this at all. How hard/expensive can it be to provide English menu and subtitles for the game. I'm not even talking about speech here. Given that the PS3 is region-free, it totally makes sense for them to do something like that since people who want to buy it can just import it. In the long run, it's better exposure for the game and the studio.

Licensing Macross units is a pain. That is probably another reason.

Beth Cyra

Will probably pick this up later when I got some extra money. Loved ACE 1-3 but the shitty cast list has made this a much less desired game to me, even more so with the looming announcment of a new SRW Title.

Bebpo

Banned
TimeKillr said:
What about gameplay?

AC-like or quite different?

I wasn't 100% sure as to how it played.

Not anywhere near as complex as AC.

It's an arcade flight shooter. It's not as flashy or well playing as ZoE (and it doesn't really have much stage design or crazy boss fights like ZoE does) but it's just as pick up and play as that series. Boost around, shoot with your main weapon, shoot with your subweapons. Slice up close. Change enemy lock. Done.

ElyrionX said:
More money, lazy, don't care about import scene, etc. etc.

ElyrionX said:
You mean you need a license to actually make references to the franchise in another language?

The Macross series is tied up in massive legal red tape outside of Asia primarily due to Harmony Gold, the company behind Robotech. This is the same reason why very few of the Macross anime shows have been released here. I'd love for Do You Remember Love?, Macross Zero and Macross F to get released, but I just don't see it happening.

donkey show said:

That's the biggest reason. These games aren't made for us, the developers don't care about a bunch of nerdy dudes from across the ocean who like their games. We're a total non-factor when it comes to Japan-only mecha titles, and understandably so.

xero273

ElyrionX said:
You mean you need a license to actually make references to the franchise in another language?

oh ooops sry read it wrong. Thought you meant translating it and releasing the game here. they probably just don't care about it. What's the point of providing subtitles if the game is only going to be release in Japan. do more work for no reason.

distantmantra said:
The Macross series is tied up in massive legal red tape outside of Asia primarily due to Harmony Gold, the company behind Robotech. This is the same reason why very few of the Macross anime shows have been released here. I'd love for Do You Remember Love?, Macross Zero and Macross F to get released, but I just don't see it happening.

I think he is just talking about they include english menus and provide subtitles in the jpn version.

TreIII

donkey show said:

Yeah, this.

I mean, this isn't like an old-school Capcom/SNK fighting game, which may have a chance at developing a "scene" whether they actually go through the trouble of actually localizing it or not, and so put in an English translation just for the hell of it (or was already in, thanks to the original arcade release coming fully loaded for the sake of global distrubtion). Banpresto, on the other hand, has no reason to extend itself.

TimeKillr

Bebpo said:
Not anywhere near as complex as AC.

It's an arcade flight shooter. It's not as flashy or well playing as ZoE (and it doesn't really have much stage design or crazy boss fights like ZoE does) but it's just as pick up and play as that series. Boost around, shoot with your main weapon, shoot with your subweapons. Slice up close. Change enemy lock. Done.

Aaaaand we're off.

Pre-ordered.

Danneee

Does these games see limited runs? I'm going to Japan in about 6 months and was thinking about picking this up then if I can.

TreIII

You should be able to find it relatively easily. Just don't expect that price to drop any within that time frame. :lol

JKTrix

Zengar said:
Still waiting for Amiami. I'm watching the live streaming now, the battle system is much better than ACE3, each unit plays differently.

5 hours late, but man you can't just say something like that and not share a link.

Top Bottom