• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Century's Episode R |OT| Manly mecha actions joins the HD generation

Shadow780 said:
Finally got the game, can I redeem the Z Gundam code with my US PSN?
I think you need to download it on JP PSN, but if you switch back to your US account, it will still work. That's what happened for me.

Lucis

ALRIGHT
not only did camile not salute
kira is too cool for it too

and geass didn't even bother attending the concert

lolsalute.png

matmanx1

Finally got my copy this weekend although tonight was the first real chance I had to spend any time with it. Started on the Code Geass path but that felt pretty clunky right out of the gate so I restarted with Macross Zero and have been enjoying that one.

I'm starting to get the hang of handling the Valkyrie's and their different forms and the timing of the boost gauge. Also, the tip about upping the pilot's tension rate was a good one as being able to pop off the missle swarm frequently is very effective and looks cool too.

I like the way the upgrades work with the pilots and the units and although the presentation feels a little low budget there's definitely some fun to be had as long as you don't mind the rough spots.

Should finally get my copy by the middle of next week, though my expectations are lower now after reading the impressions here. I'm happy to have a game with some FMP representation, but hopefully the inevitable sequels will be a major improvement.

matmanx1

Eh, I'm enjoying it for what it is. It certainly should have been better but it's not without it's fun spots. It still has plenty of geek factor with all the mecha and their pilots, most (all?) of them using their real VA's from anime or whatever.

donkey show said:
LOL. Have you tried using Aquarion yet?

Just as friendly units, not myself. Alphart's rate of fire is ridiculous and killed that thing instantly.

Also, I'm on the second to last mission and I have encountered only one Ranka Face on the Crossbone Gundam route.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have to re-fight
Winter One
if
Doctor Shiki
kills you is evil.

edit: Beat it. I'll just say this: If you ever have trouble with a level, use the Alphart. Man oh man is that mech overpowered. :lol

JKTrix

distantmantra said:
Also, I'm on the second to last mission and I have encountered only one Ranka Face on the Crossbone Gundam route.

Ranka Face only comes up when that part of the song comes up. If you've been finishing missions quick enough, that part of the song won't loop again :lol

I've so far cleared Aquarion, King Gainer and Zeta routes. Currently on FMP after building up Sagara as a friendly unit a little bit.

Little Arbalest is quite the boss killer, though he sucks in crowds. Especially airborne.

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

It's not so hard to understand why Another Century's Episode R is jammed : From Software and its acolytes have simply forgotten to finish their game between menus, cut-scenes and the popular series cast. Like any good martial art master from the 80s, Miyagi correctly said : "balance is the key." Well, here the gameplay collapses. Between the aim during melee fights and the motions, A.C.E R disappoint, annoy and infuriate while its presentation is really successful and it had the potential to be as good as its predecessors. A case of moldy robotics.

+ excellent choice of shows
+ long
+ all the robots are differents
+ customizable musics

- horrible aim system
- technically very weak
- questionable controls
- boring missions
- painful bosses
- insane glitches

4/10

Hamblasto

Finally got my copy. It's definitely a step down from ACE3, but I'm still enjoying it. Not as much as I'd initially hoped, however.

Also, screw Ranka and her stupid face.

Bebpo

Banned
Shawn6661 said:
Gamekult.com Import Review

It's not so hard to understand why Another Century's Episode R is jammed : From Software and its acolytes have simply forgotten to finish their game between menus, cut-scenes and the popular series cast. Like any good martial art master from the 80s, Miyagi correctly said : "balance is the key." Well, here the gameplay collapses. Between the aim during melee fights and the motions, A.C.E R disappoint, annoy and infuriate while its presentation is really successful and it had the potential to be as good as its predecessors. A case of moldy robotics.

+ excellent choice of shows
+ long
+ all the robots are differents
+ customizable musics

- horrible aim system
- technically very weak
- questionable controls
- boring missions
- painful bosses
- insane glitches

4/10

hahaha, the ACE:R hate train continues. I am pleased :)
I'm actually lending my copy to a friend today. I already lowered his expectations plenty so maybe he'll actually enjoy it.

$92!! And I thought I would never get burned that hard again after spending $130 to have FFXIII on day1. If this game was $50 I would not be so mean.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bit of a bump here, but I'm curious about this title. I recently checked Ebay and notice they have some 30$ and under prices. So I'm thinking of picking it up. Is it really worth it, or would it be better to invest in a copy of ACE2/3(Again) instead? I've been going through the impressions and I keep seeing a lot of negatives, but people still enjoy it. And a few links with more descriptive entries seem to be down too.

2nd, are there any better places than Ebay to pick it up on the cheap instead.

Bebpo

Banned
ACE3 if you haven't played it. It's still the most fun and best.

ACE portable is better than ACE-R by all reports and price dropped just as low (because it still sucks from all reports, just sucks a lot less), so if you have a PSP and want to play as the ACE-R units, I'd recommend ACE portable first.

If you absolutely must play as these mechs in an action game and go in expecting a kuso game, then you will probably get your money's worth at the current prices.

hteng

Banned
shintoki said:
Bit of a bump here, but I'm curious about this title. I recently checked Ebay and notice they have some 30$ and under prices. So I'm thinking of picking it up. Is it really worth it, or would it be better to invest in a copy of ACE2/3(Again) instead? I've been going through the impressions and I keep seeing a lot of negatives, but people still enjoy it. And a few links with more descriptive entries seem to be down too.

2nd, are there any better places than Ebay to pick it up on the cheap instead.

worth it if you are a mecha fan in general and familiar with japanese mecha shows.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Took a gamble on this at 1400 yen used today instead of Gundam Musou 2 at 1800.

Not really feelin' it so far.

Yeah damn I was hoping this thread would never surface again and no one else would have to suffer playing this title.

Oh well...

Zapages

Is this game worth it used for 41 dollars if you have never played any of the ACE games before??? As I am thinking of getting it.

PS: I don't know a word of Japanese. :|

PS: Sorry for the bump.

Zapages said:
Is this game worth it used for 41 dollars if you have never played any of the ACE games before??? As I am thinking of getting it.

Going by the posts in the thread - NO.

Shouta

Zapages said:

No, ACE3 or ACE2 Voice Edition is better.

Top Bottom