• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Century's Episode R |OT| Manly mecha actions joins the HD generation

Neo Member
Bebpo said:
Since you just finished R, just compare it to this and you'll see how different they seem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayOv7YmAyM

That looks so much better. :[ Even the in-mission chatter character portraits are better. They blink and stuff. I think I'm gonna go sell my copy of ACE:R before the resell price plummets and track down a copy of ACE3.

Also, does anyone know why they newer Gundam series, 00 and UC, were completely absent from ACE:R? Someone in this thread mentioned that Macross F basically got preferential treatment(something that's painfully obvious just via playing the game). Were those two series cut so they wouldn't steal Macross F's thunder or something?

Bebpo

Banned
I just did the mission in the Geo Plant where you do a bunch of really tiny rooms with the camera spazzing out (because of small environments) and load cutscene between each door and then Summer giant mecha boss which was really annoying because the camera/lock-on was stupid and wouldn't let me move around it easily. Did not enjoy :(

Also I realized that each mission is about 20 mins of reading text, 5 mins of upgrading, 10 mins of cutscenes and 10 mins of gameplay. :\

I think I'm gonna change to Aquarion soon.

Bebpo said:
I just did the mission in the Geo Plant where you do a bunch of really tiny rooms with the camera spazzing out (because of small environments) and load cutscene between each door and then Summer giant mecha boss which was really annoying because the camera/lock-on was stupid and wouldn't let me move around it easily. Did not enjoy :(

Also I realized that each mission is about 20 mins of reading text, 5 mins of upgrading, 10 mins of cutscenes and 10 mins of gameplay. :

I think I'm gonna change to Aquarion soon.
Yeah, the Summer mech is retarded. It has the weirdest hit boxes and always has a tendecy to push you really freaking far for no apparent reason.

Going back from Aquarion is hard to do as it makes you realize how shitty a lot of the other mechs are. =(

I started with Crossbone Gundam, pretty simplistic but fun so far (let's be honest, we're not playing mecha games because of the gameplay).

Beth Cyra

0405 said:
That looks so much better. :[ Even the in-mission chatter character portraits are better. They blink and stuff. I think I'm gonna go sell my copy of ACE:R before the resell price plummets and track down a copy of ACE3.

Also, does anyone know why they newer Gundam series, 00 and UC, were completely absent from ACE:R? Someone in this thread mentioned that Macross F basically got preferential treatment(something that's painfully obvious just via playing the game). Were those two series cut so they wouldn't steal Macross F's thunder or something?

Can't speak for ACE:R but ACE III is great.

The only thing Gundam Wing fans might be a bit disapointed with the fact that only Wing Zero and Heero make an appearance as that is only in one level at the end and hardly ever says anything during the story after that.

Still though the selection is great with awesome suits that range all the way from Nu Gundam, Turn A, Wing Zero, God, and DX all the way to stuff like Macross Plus and Shin Getter.

Also the story is not overly long, so be weary of that. but so long as you don't mind the graphics downgrade from ACE:R you will find yourself with a fun game that has a ton of great mechs.

duckroll

Kinda glad between Ys7 and VC2 this month, I decided to wait and see on this title. Sounds like something I would have been pretty pissed at owning. Oh well, at least I'll always have ACE1-3 to play!

Beth Cyra

distantmantra said:
I started with Crossbone Gundam, pretty simplistic but fun so far (let's be honest, we're not playing mecha games because of the gameplay).

I would say that is true most of the time for me, but ACE 2 had a fun but flawed system and ACE III improved it and turned into a legimatly awesome game that featured mechs intstead of a game that was carried by them.

duckroll

ACE -> ACE2 -> ACE3 was one of the most solid examples of a licensed mecha action series with a developer who really cared about the gameplay above all things. Each entry improved really significantly on the predecessor not only in graphics and content, but also in the gameplay systems and interface. The jumps are really huge too, and not just some incremental improvement like in the Gundam VS series or the Gundam Battle games on PSP.

Beth Cyra

duckroll said:
ACE -> ACE2 -> ACE3 was one of the most solid examples of a licensed mecha action series with a developer who really cared about the gameplay above all things. Each entry improved really significantly on the predecessor not only in graphics and content, but also in the gameplay systems and interface. The jumps are really huge too, and not just some incremental improvement like in the Gundam VS series or the Gundam Battle games on PSP.

I am in full agreement with duckroll on this one. I really think that it is a good sign that after playing through each one that I had a hard time going back even if I prefered certian suits in the old games. It just meant the gameplay improved quite a bit as each game came out.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, in a lot of ways ACE:R is like ACE1. ACE1 was reaaaaaally rough and frustratingly hard at times. Also a bit boring, repetitive, and some bad gameplay ideas. ACE2 really was so much better and the first time the game was actually good. Then ACE3 improved on the gameplay significantly from that.

Maybe by ACE:R3 we'll have an awesome HD mecha game!

Shouta

Bebpo said:
Since you just finished R, just compare it to this and you'll see how different they seem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayOv7YmAyM

Hah, you linked my video!

But yeah, Aquarion is definitely the best unit so far. Being able to switch mid-battle is great. I just wish Aquarion was in ACE3 with Shin Getter because it probably would've gotten much better treatment in that. :lol

Shouta said:
Hah, you linked my video!

But yeah, Aquarion is definitely the best unit so far. Being able to switch mid-battle is great. I just wish Aquarion was in ACE3 with Shin Getter because it probably would've gotten much better treatment in that. :lol
Aquarion Luna all the way! :D

Neo Member
TruePrime said:
The only thing Gundam Wing fans might be a bit disapointed with the fact that only Wing Zero and Heero make an appearance as that is only in one level at the end and hardly ever says anything during the story after that.
ACE:R is pretty similar. Macross, Aquarion and, I think, Orguss units steal the show. The other units rarely have any lines, and even when they do speak, it's generally not anything particularly meaningful.

TruePrime said:
Also the story is not overly long, so be weary of that. but so long as you don't mind the graphics downgrade from ACE:R you will find yourself with a fun game that has a ton of great mechs.
That's good. The story in ACE:R started to drag really hard near the end. I got to the point where I wanted to skip all of the cutscenes, but I didn't because I was afraid I'd miss something important(I wouldn't have). Also, comparing the graphics in ACE:R to what I've seen from ACE3, it doesn't seem really seem like that big of a step down, so I should be fine.

LOL, I just realized Camille is the only one who doesn't salute Ranka and Sheryl in that Macross F cutscene level. He was like... wtf is this bullshit? :lol

And honestly, at least make that stupid level with QTE. Totally not engaged and Chase mode doesn't count.

Bebpo said:
Also there's a super easy glitch to get 9999999999999999999 ACE points and max every unit off the start :lol

I'm staying away from it at least for first playthrough or if I get "I'm gonna throw this disc into the wall" frustrated at a boss.

Basically you go to the upgrade unit screen:
1. move your cursor to the slot above the one you can afford, try to buy it and it'll say (you can't afford this - press O)
2. move one back and try to buy and it'll bring the buy (O) or cancel (X) message. Hit X
3. press right+O at the same time and it'll give you the buy/cancel message on the slot you can't afford which results in negative ace points. Hit buy
4. back out of the menu, you now have 999999999999999999999 Ace points

That has to be intentionally put in.

Just tried this out, but it wouldn't work. Maybe I did something wrong?

LOL Shouta. KIRA! :lol :lol :lol

distantmantra said:
Just tried this out, but it wouldn't work. Maybe I did something wrong?
You need to press circle immediately after you press right, not at the same time. I've already maxed out everyone I've received so far. 7 more playthroughs until Full Cloth. ;__;

Oh and with that final Macross Frontier mission, I decided not to play at all and I survived all the way through. That cutscene level is a joke. From now on I'll just browse GAF every time I have to sit through that stage. :lol

I'm doing the third mission with Crossbone Gundam where you have to protect the Arc Alpha from a bunch of enemy cruisers and snub fighters, and the awful targeting system keeps screwing things up... No, I don't want to target the little fighters, I NEED to take out all the big cruisers before they blow the Arc Alpha to kingdom come! :lol

distantmantra said:
I'm doing the third mission with Crossbone Gundam where you have to protect the Arc Alpha from a bunch of enemy cruisers and snub fighters, and the awful targeting system keeps screwing things up... No, I don't want to target the little fighters, I NEED to take out all the big cruisers before they blow the Arc Alpha to kingdom come! :lol
Honestly, I didn't know how they expected first timers to get through that stage. It's really stupid. :lol Also, change your auto targeting to direction. Miles better than camera.

Also in that stage, make sure you check the rear of the Arc Alpha every once in awhile. Multiple cruisers tend to show up behind it at random points, which lead to me restarting that stage several times.

JKTrix

Get! Also with Pink Zeta code.
http://twitpic.com/2hjsk3

That other thing in my hand is the 'free gift' from Play-Asia--a lanyard.

Folks were asking before if FROM had anything to do with the game, not seeing their name on the box or the manual--their name is one of the first to show up during the intro cutscene.

JKTrix said:
Get! Also with Pink Zeta code.
http://twitpic.com/2hjsk3

That other thing in my hand is the 'free gift' from Play-Asia--a lanyard.

Folks were asking before if FROM had anything to do with the game, not seeing their name on the box or the manual--their name is one of the first to show up during the intro cutscene.
Nine Ball also makes a guest appearance as well.

JKTrix

+1 for verifying that glitch, i turned my PS3 off before it registered though.

I already miss dodging with the a flick of the left stick and controlling the camera with the Right stick. I figured out that I can manually move the camera if I hold L2 and move the stick (which also serves as manual targeting), but i just want to move the thing freely, all the time. Put transformations on the d-pad or something, I'm quite used to switching between the two from the Macross PSP games.

donkey show said:
Honestly, I didn't know how they expected first timers to get through that stage. It's really stupid. :lol Also, change your auto targeting to direction. Miles better than camera.

Also in that stage, make sure you check the rear of the Arc Alpha every once in awhile. Multiple cruisers tend to show up behind it at random points, which lead to me restarting that stage several times.

I clued in to the cruisers coming from the rear, but there's one point with three of them in the front and the camera would consistently lock onto the fighters instead. I'll go in and change the targeting system.

JKTrix said:
How the heck am i supposed to beat Autumn 1
First allow it to melee. When it freezes after one punch, press your target button to lock onto a blue crystal on its arm. Destroy that and it will go into an enclosed form which should shoot out orange balls. If it does that, it means you're doing it right. If not, continue to wait until Autumn 1 attacks you with its claws again and freezes after doing so. After it shoots the orange balls, it will fly away. Chase it down and head to its rear and make sure you lock on again. It should shoot another round of orange balls. When it does this, Autumn 1 exposes its weak point in the back. Hit it as much as you can and when it closes up, the process will repeat itself.

JKTrix

Got it, only had to hit it twice but it was annoying as hell. At least 15 minutes just on that boss.

Edit: I am having quite a bit of fun though. Some of the support skills are pretty cool from what I've been able to figure out, though I can't use them as Aquarion.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm still not there yet :(

The length of the missions (text+gameplay) make it feel like a SRW to me, so I can only play it SRW style and do ~2-3 missions per day before it wears down on me. I think I'm about halfway, last mission I did was Geass in the night city. Around 8 hours now.

Bebpo said:
I'm still not there yet :(

The length of the missions (text+gameplay) make it feel like a SRW to me, so I can only play it SRW style and do ~2-3 missions per day before it wears down on me. I think I'm about halfway, last mission I did was Geass in the night city. Around 8 hours now.
Yeah man, you got a ways to go.

JKTrix

Still on Aquarion route, made it through the 'unskippable' Macross F finale. Game clock says 8.5 hours, though i did leave the game idle a few times to eat and talk on the phone a bit.

Pink Zeta is awesome.

JKTrix said:
Still on Aquarion route, made it through the 'unskippable' Macross F finale. Game clock says 8.5 hours, though i did leave the game idle a few times to eat and talk on the phone a bit.

Pink Zeta is awesome.
Yeah, I think it's much better than Vanilla Zeta since it has a faster firing rate and its specials are much quicker.

Bebpo

Banned
The original unit is pretty weird. You keep transforming from unit to unit with barely any attacks until you become yellow super unit that has every attack?

donkey show said:
Nope. You're good to go.

Thanks. I'm still waiting on Yes Asia to ship my copy, it's back ordered :( after hearing all the negative comments on the game I'm a little on the fence now. I'm sure I'll still have fun with it since I love mechs but still that's a lot of money.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
The original unit is pretty weird. You keep transforming from unit to unit with barely any attacks until you become yellow super unit that has every attack?

Original is kind of cool. Each of the forms upgrade into different forms then the final has it all plus a few more. There's no reason for it in the story so far but it's kinda neat. I do wish the darn All Around Attack had targeting like the main shot because what's the point of firing like that if it isn't going to track.

Well i kind of broke down and bought it. Haha I really have no idea why, but it has at least droppped down to under 6000 yen. I will give it a try later tonight

Cacophanus

I'm in agreement with many here I think, as ACE:R is a major functional step back compared to the previous three ACEs.

Even in the first ACE, the base combat was a lot more solid and freeform than in this - ACE:R is painfully restrictive by comparison and parts of it feel as though they've been forced through on a tight budget/schedule.

I have no idea why they changed the core boost dash system they had in the previous games for this nonsense. It makes no sense.

In some ways I wish Banpresto had left a lot of the SRW stuff out of this, as it seems its hampered From Software's ability to iterate - as they were wasting their time on SRW stuff.

The download code for the White Zeta is a bloody cheek too, as you unlock it through playing the game anyway!

Pretty miffed overall really.

Cacophanus

distantmantra said:

Don't confuse bad mecha games with ALL mecha games. There are a good many that are utterly excellent.

Cacophanus said:
Don't confuse bad mecha games with ALL mecha games. There are a good many that are utterly excellent.

Truth.

ZoE2, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross(PS2), Gundam Side Story 0079, and Tech Romancer are some of my favorite games ever.

This one however....ehhhhhh

Played a couple of hours, but I am gonna put it down for the night I think. I am agreeing with most of the stuff said in here. The lock-on system is horrendous and I even changed it to Direction as someone suggested. I get really disoriented in this game because of it. I had several instances where I would fly away from a battle, heading towards a huge ship and going into free lock mode to make it my target. However when I release L2 to lock on the camera first turns back to the previous target behind me then swoops back to the ship I wanted to target. WTFFFF

The game has been pretty buggy so far, and I'm not sure if some are true bugs or just lazy design. The most glaring happened while fighting the huge ships mentioned above. They are all made up of 3 parts(top, bottom, rear) and you have to blow up them all to sink the ship. Would be perfectly fine except you seem to be required to destroy them in a set order. I could never start the fights locked onto anything other than the top part. And for example if I was under the ship shooting up at it, because my gun is hitting the bottom of the ship(which I'm not locked onto) I would do absolutely no damage to either part. Maybe I was doing something wrong and you can lock onto the bottom part first, but it still doesn't explain the oversight that I was causing no damage to a part just because I wasn't locked onto it.

Some of the mecha seem to control fine(I still haven't tried most of them), but I really hate some of the decisions with the Valkyries. The normal robot mode is so gimped movement wise it isn't funny. It's not as obvious in space, but in normal atmosphere you just drop like a rock and can't influence your movement at all. Oh except with the handy melee teleport skill. :lol :lol :lol

Speaking of melee teleport while playing as Macross zero and doing that I got the game in some weird loop. After killing the first guy, I pressed the melee button again and another enemy basically teleported into my hands and I destroyed it to. I repeated this about 5 times. Never looked like my Valkyrie moved but you can never tell with how the camera jerks about.

TimeKillr

I guess I'm lucky - I never played any of the ACE games before, so this is my very first.

I like it - granted I'm only going through the game with Overman King Gainer, but it's quite fun and satisfying. The unskippable cutscenes are weird, but every one I've seen now I understand why they were unskippable (they lead straight into a transition into gameplay with no loading, rather than cutting to another scene).

It's still annoying, though. Failing a million times on the boss of Stage 2 made me see his little introduction waaaay too often. :(

Generally too I'm not too concerned with the camera - if I'm targeting something I don't like, I just hit L2 and it switches targets. That's it. So if I want to switch to a bigger ship, I just toggle through targets until I get it. It's not 100% practical, but it works.

Okay, so King Gainer seems freaking overpowered, though - all I need to do against pretty much everything is the up+triangle, up+triangle combo, which gives me a bit over 2 full bars of tension, until I can do his Over Skill, then once I'm in Over Skill mode I do his freeze gun attack, melee, freeze gun, melee, over and over and over. :) Kills everything really quick, and his grenades are a godsend against big enemies (on Normal, those big ships that have 3 parts... each part dies in one grenade hit, which costs only one tension).

I can't wait to try out the other mecha. Now I wish I had played ACE3 and such, reading from the impressions in the thread, but hey. I'll stick to ACE:R for the time being. And I can't wait to play as the OG mechs - I'm a huge SRW OG fan. :)

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah the lack of always boost is inexplicable. I was reading the JP Wiki and in the FAQ that was one of the first questions asked "what happened to always boost?" :(

You move slow and overburst is not that great for close/medium-range combat. Just makes moving feel blah. Especially combined with not being able to free-look with the right stick. You end up using UP+O a lot to rush at an enemy.

Also is it just me or are the support attacks >>>>>>>>> normal attacks? If you have a group of enemies, do a multi-target support and they all disappear. If you have a boss spam singe-target support and it dies in seconds. Sure each use pulls HP from your support units, but usually you can afford it.

Bebpo said:
Also is it just me or are the support attacks >>>>>>>>> normal attacks? If you have a group of enemies, do a multi-target support and they all disappear. If you have a boss spam singe-target support and it dies in seconds. Sure each use pulls HP from your support units, but usually you can afford it.
Yup, they hardly get damaged anyway, so it's all good. Or just abuse Aquarion Luna's tension 1 & 2 attacks. :lol

hteng said:
spoilers

looks like they put in Nineball Seraph as a boss unit, it looks pretty awesome with some minor retcon

http://www.mechadamashii.com/news/news-nineball-seraph-in-acer/
Yup, you fight him on your subsequent playthroughs. It's been about 4 times already, but it's nothing when Aquarion Luna makes it rain. :lol

Cacophanus said:

ACE:R only makes me want to play GvExtreme even more. ;__;

As for other mecha games, I threw in SD Gashapon Wars Wii and its really fun. It's like Custom Robo but in the Gundam-verse. :D

donkey show said:
As for other mecha games, I threw in SD Gashapon Wars Wii and its really fun. It's like Custom Robo but in the Gundam-verse. :D

It's not a bad game, even better when you can convince some other people to play with you. I think I still owe my wife for getting her to play it with me. :lol

TreIII

donkey show said:
ACE:R only makes me want to play GvExtreme even more. ;__;

THIS to the nth POWER. This is a nice little foretaste, but I'd like to think our course is set for no later than next summer. Especially if GEV stands to take notes and put in Hi-Nu as well... :D

Top Bottom