• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Century's Episode R |OT| Manly mecha actions joins the HD generation

JKTrix

Apparently not (thanks for links)
w1fgw8.png

THANKS INSTALL :lol

JKTrix said:
Apparently not (thanks for links)
w1fgw8.png

THANKS INSTALL :lol

You get a trophy for installing the game to your hard drive? :lol

Yeah, more than likely they'll be in Japanese, but that system appears to have Japanese as the default language. Won't know for sure until someone with English as their default tries it out.

Bebpo

Banned
JKTrix said:
Lookin at the stream archive, the install doubles as a playable tutorial. Pretty nice.

English menus!

The older ACE titles had English menus, as does Gundam 0081 on PS3, so nothing too surprising.

matmanx1

Thought the release was on the 19th? Anyway, thanks for the Live Stream link. Games looks really, really good. Hopefully won't take too long to arrive!

matmanx1 said:
Thought the release was on the 19th? Anyway, thanks for the Live Stream link. Games looks really, really good. Hopefully won't take too long to arrive!
People always get the game early.

2istnjr.jpg

Unlockable suits, ahoy!

Zeta is Amuro's custom Zeta, Gainer is more than likely Xan, and one of the FMP slots is for Bonta-kun.

As for Trophies, the list hasn't been seen yet, but this comment gives some highlights:

>Each route gets one for beating it.
>Standard shoot down 100,500,1000,etc. enemies
>Beat 50,100, etc. missions.
>Travel 4000 km
>Some units like the VF-0A apparently have specific trophies.
>There's even one for Installing the game.

JKTrix

distantmantra said:
The older ACE titles had English menus, as does Gundam 0081 on PS3, so nothing too surprising.

I can't speak for ACE 1, but

ACE 2
QhuRH.jpg
y4Pmv.jpg

ACE 3
Vn3LR.jpg
VsOHA.jpg

ACE R
3IRw9.jpg
mVDv9.jpg

Nice to know about Gundam Senki, I never did pick that one up.

Dead Man

distantmantra said:
The Macross series is tied up in massive legal red tape outside of Asia primarily due to Harmony Gold, the company behind Robotech. This is the same reason why very few of the Macross anime shows have been released here. I'd love for Do You Remember Love?, Macross Zero and Macross F to get released, but I just don't see it happening.

That's the biggest reason. These games aren't made for us, the developers don't care about a bunch of nerdy dudes from across the ocean who like their games. We're a total non-factor when it comes to Japan-only mecha titles, and understandably so.
I was with you up until the bold.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Playing through one route takes 12 hours

After watching the first 20 min video of the game play, does the 12 hours including reading all the texts in story mode?

From what I can see, it is A LOT of reading. Almost as much as Blazblue: CS per mission.

onken

Dead Man said:
I was with you up until the bold.

Why would you NOT be a non-factor? I don't have any numbers but I'm guessing mech-combat games sell like shit in the west.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess from the info we have how the game is gonna be structured and where the "large volume of content" famitsu quote comes from.

There's 13 series.

If you pick a series and then it goes:
-unique 1st mission
-then main game story told from the point of view of that series (meaning re-use maps, but unique cutscenes and mission chatter)

and then if each run through it took about 10-12 hours...you're looking at like 130 hours of content even if the majority of it is doing the same maps over and over again but with perspective differences.

That's pretty much how Gundam Musou did it and if you wanted to see all the story by going through every single character story mode, it was easily a 60-100 hour game. Although a very, very repetitive one by the end.

Will be interesting to see if that's the actual structure and see how it pans out. I mean are you going to be stuck with the units from just that one series for an entire route? Would make it tough to figure out which series to go with the first few times since at some point you're gonna get burned out on the repetition. But so hard to choose!

Dead Man

onken said:
Why would you NOT be a non-factor? I don't have any numbers but I'm guessing mech-combat games sell like shit in the west.
All one of them? Mechwarrior sold pretty well, Ace Combat sells pretty well. Armoured Core not so much, but enough to bother releasing. Those seem to be about the only games to compare with this, from a gameplay standpoint.

Bebpo

Banned
Even though I hate the mecha, I really want to do GEASS because the characters are just total lolz and it should be entertaining as hell.

FMP is another show I mainly want to play for the cutscenes and character chat because Sousuke/Kaname are hilarious. Although the on-foot jumping and sliding around looks really fun with their units.

Bebpo

Banned
Gurren and Gainer are good fun. 2nd coming or not, nothing wrong with enjoying them. Geass otoh is just so horribly trainwreck that it's entertaining fun, but an amazingly terrible show nonetheless.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
Gurren and Gainer are good fun. 2nd coming or not, nothing wrong with enjoying them. Geass otoh is just so horribly trainwreck that it's entertaining fun, but an amazingly terrible show nonetheless.

I can't agree. Believe me I wanted to love Gainer, I really did. But I swear to god they couldn't of made the bastard more open for hatred, all the whinning and crying he did over his mom and dad still they had him puss out.

Almost 20 Episodes I put up with that shit and got zero pay off.

As for Gurren, yeah first three episodes I loved it. Combo two characters falling in love at crazy speeds which wore on my nerves like no end and then the little one angsting over the red head only to find a girl in a coffin and then fall for her? Yeah fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Edit: I forgot, I made it about 1 episode before I shut off Code, seriously the obsessive nature of borders and it being okay to kill for them was astounding, not to mention you shouldn't try to act like I should sympathize with these little bitches and then show them chillen at school and the MC kicking at fat guy's ass at chess, doesn't exactly warm me up to them.

I swear next people are going to tell me that Heroman is great, I really miss the days with pilotes like Ryoma, Duke, Kyoji.

I've never cared for the ACE series but I read somewhere that there's a trophy for getting lost/wandering aimlessly with Masaki. That's pretty awesome. :lol

2San

distantmantra said:
How playable are the games without knowing any Japanese?

I heard these games never get released over here due to licensing problems rather than too small of a market.

xero273

2San said:
How playable are the games without knowing any Japanese?

I heard these games never get released over here due to licensing problems rather than too small of a market.

Missions are pretty much destroy all enemies.

hteng

Banned
looks like some shops broke street date, i'm gonna search for it during weekends, fuck this better not be more than 80USD

Shouta

Got my copy, I wonder if I can use the download code on my JP account and have it show up when I play on my US one...

matmanx1

PA sent me ship notification today, woot woot! My final invoice with shipping was only $77.90 so I feel like I got a great deal on this very expensive game. I chose the Air Economy Bubble option for shipping so it won't be here for awhile but I certainly can't complain about the price!

I'll be eagerly watching this thread though. Please do post impressions as you guys get your copies!

Bebpo

Banned
I don't think anyone knows until they've gone through the campaign :p

I didn't think ACE3 was repetitive. It's a pretty short game.

Beth Cyra

KTallguy said:
Yea, too many games, not enough time.
Do you think ACE3 is more or less repetitive than ACE R?

I don't have ACE R but given how things are presented I can't see how it possibly could be anywhere near as bad as ACE R.

ACE 3 is one long story line, it has a couple of branching paths and you can play as any suit but given the comparsion to Gundam Muso there is no way it is as bad.

That and the cast list is huge and way more diverse in ACE 3, so if that matters at all then there is that as well.

TreIII

Palette Swap said:
I've never cared for the ACE series but I read somewhere that there's a trophy for getting lost/wandering aimlessly with Masaki. That's pretty awesome. :lol

EXACTLY. That's why Masaki and the OG crew will be my first playthrough. :lol

Pretty much the only bad thing is that AGAIN, Cybuster doesn't have "Ranbu no Tachi". But I'll excuse that (for now!) since the "mainstream" OG series has yet to give him that ability too. Maybe by the time OG3 takes things to La Gias, Cybuster will finally stand to get it, and then a future ACE game will reflect that development in kind... :D

Shouta

Hrm, it's nice that there's no ammo but not sure if I like going to a special system for secondary attacks.

Shouta

Neat, I'll give it a shot in awhile.

Game has a decent sense of weight. Movements move quickly when they get started but seem a little slow just to begin, at least Riese was like that during the install. :lol

Shouta

distantmantra said:
Yep. Hokuto Musou and Gundam 0081's DLC codes both worked just like that.

OK, it works. Just tested it out. You have to go to options in game and hit download content for it to show up though. But yes, it's on my US account woo.

Neo Member
The last ACE I played was the second, which I was kind of lukewarm on. I kind of forgot about ACE3 but all the videos and coverage got me sort of hype for this one and, while I'm a little miffed about the lack of Gundam 00, the inclusion of Macross F, Code Geass and Full Metal Panic were the three back-breaking straws that pushed me towards a purchase.

My first impression with the game, starting with the FMP campaign, was altogether awful. I haven't played any of the other storylines yet, so hopefully they're better, but the fight against the Behemoth is drawn-out, frustrating, ugly and boring. The inclusion of cinemas that you cannot skip really doesn't help. While I was playing this first mission, all I could think was "Crap, did I just toss Y7000 down the drain?" Really not feeling the new Chase Mode or whatever it's called, either.

Anyhoo, I stuck it out and got to the second mission. The second mission, while slightly vanilla, is a pretty huge step up from the first. I'm on the third mission now, having fun and sort of hoping that the first mission was just some sort of wild accident.

My only real complaint at this point, first mission notwithstanding, is the utter lack of voicework during the long, long intermission scenes. I guess it would have cost a fair amount of money or something to have the voice actors speak that many extra lines of dialogue, but I'm finding them pretty difficult to get through as they are: just reams and reams of text with static character portraits.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, that's how ACE1/2 were as well. Plus, well SRW games.

If I remember right ACE3 basically ditched all the intermission plotting and just did the plot through short cutscenes at the start/end of each mission.

From the stream I see what you're saying about the first FMP mission. It seems in general that the bosses have a tooooooooon of life and you gotta grind them down. At least the bosses in everyone's mission 1.

Top Bottom