• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Century's Episode R |OT| Manly mecha actions joins the HD generation

V-Gief

donkey show said:
Also... Meltran bootie!!!
srwhotnews_acer8_fkk2.jpg

Should get my game any day now, but I just had to say HELL YEAH! to giant space women! haha

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I got mine and first impression this game gives is pretty bad.

low-res textures everywhere, jaggies, some horrible shadow shader filter, dumb lock-on that stays locked on to an enemy even after you've killed them for a few seconds, iffy controls, ughhh sub-weapon system, annoying bosses, etc...

Basically feels like an unpolished PS3 launch title. Not exactly what you'd expect for a $90 game in 2010!

But it definitely seems to be getting better. I picked SEED Destiny to start and the first mission boss is invincible except for when you hit it with a strong attack and then it's open for a few seconds to damage, repeat repeat. The problem is the only "strong attack" you have is a sub-weapon that costs tension and Destiny only gains tension from sitting and doing nothing while the meter slowly fills. So the battle is basically dodging attacks while waiting 2 mins for your meter to fill up to 2 bars, do a sub-weapon attack, do some normal attacks, repeat 4-5 times. Awfullllllll fight. Every unit should gain tension from kills. Not being able to affect your tension increase rate feels lame. And Destiny's main plasma rifle gun is SO BAD. You can only fire like 1 pea-shooter shot every 10 seconds. So it comes down to rushing up and meleeing everything with your sword. Blehhhhhhh

Also wtf at the sub-weapons that require you to sit and charge for like 10-15 seconds and any single hit will knock you out of them. Basically makes them useless!

I'm gonna start a 2nd new game on easy with Geass and hope it's more fun off the bat. Definitely feels like a step down from ACE3 in gameplay and the visuals aren't much of an improvement.

Bebpo said:
And Destiny's main plasma rifle gun is SO BAD. You can only fire like 1 pea-shooter shot every 10 seconds. So it comes down to rushing up and meleeing everything with your sword. Blehhhhhhh
That's everyone's problem except for the Macross units. Why the rate of fire is so gimped is beyond me.

JKTrix

Yay, my play-asia order shipped.

Donkey Show I was already asleep by time you were streaming :lol Time zones still mess me up a little.

Bebpo

Banned
donkey show said:
That's everyone's problem except for the Macross units. Why the rate of fire is so gimped is beyond me.

ughhhhh, why turn ACE into a melee game. Makes no sense. Honestly like 90% of the gameplay changes from ACE3 make no sense. It's like a completely different person made this one.

In Armored Core your main gun has a normal rate of fire. What were they thinking >_<

Bebpo said:
ughhhhh, why turn ACE into a melee game. Makes no sense. Honestly like 90% of the gameplay changes from ACE3 make no sense. It's like a completely different person made this one.

In Armored Core your main gun has a normal rate of fire. What were they thinking >_<
So true. It's really weird comparing it from ACE3 in that regards. As for the tension, definitely level up your tension rate and see your bar fill up dramatically in comparison to when you start out. The crappy thing about this game is that it gimps you pretty bad in the beginning leaving you with a bad taste, but it does get better once you progress and you start actually enjoying it, lol.

My second playthrough with the Crossbones is flying a lot faster than my initial playthrough, that's for sure.

Bebpo

Banned
Also there's a super easy glitch to get 9999999999999999999 ACE points and max every unit off the start :lol

I'm staying away from it at least for first playthrough or if I get "I'm gonna throw this disc into the wall" frustrated at a boss.

Basically you go to the upgrade unit screen:
1. move your cursor to the slot above the one you can afford, try to buy it and it'll say (you can't afford this - press O)
2. move one back and try to buy and it'll bring the buy (O) or cancel (X) message. Hit X
3. press right+O at the same time and it'll give you the buy/cancel message on the slot you can't afford which results in negative ace points. Hit buy
4. back out of the menu, you now have 999999999999999999999 Ace points

That has to be intentionally put in.

LOL, I'm gonna do that when I get back home from scuba diving. It's so much more fun blowing shit up all over the place at full power with these guys.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I got about 5 missions in and I'm about to shelve this and write it off as a waste of $90. The missions are awful so far and the camera/lock-on makes everything so much worse. I'm on the mission where you have to protect the arc alpha as it's approaching the city and there's a million enemies that I'm going around destroying and it's HP keeps dropping and because of the camera I can't see what the hell is damaging it to make that a priority.

And I just hate the tension system. It makes every single attack in the game besides your triangle melee punch a hassle to use. Whether it's because you need bars or you need to charge the attack up. I'm not really having fun playing. It also discourages you to actually use different units and mess around with them because everytime you try a new pilot his tension rate sucks at the start and it'll be a pain to use him when your halfway through the game and the game expects you to have an upgraded pilot. I guess the only solution is to change pilots and have your starting pilot, pilot every mech.

And the intermission stuff sucks. It's like SRW except somehow it seems far less interesting. I just started skipping them.

Is there even launch sequences? I thought after you got the Arc Alpha you'd get them, but I haven't gotten any.

I really want to find a credit roll for this and see if it was actually made by the same From Software guys who made ACE1-3, because at this point I don't believe.

Bebpo said:
I really want to find a credit roll for this and see if it was actually made by the same From Software guys who made ACE1-3, because at this point I don't believe.

I can't find any mention of FROM on the boxart or in the manual...

Bebpo said:
Is there even launch sequences? I thought after you got the Arc Alpha you'd get them, but I haven't gotten any.
There's like one. :lol

EDIT: Thanks for finding that glitch. Makes the game much more enjoyable on repeat plays instead of having to grind it out! :lol

Oh and for those of you who are willing to hoof it to unlock all the suits...

Nu Gundam: At the start of your 2nd playthrough.
Sousuke's M9: At the start of your 3rd playthrough.
Koing Monster: At the start of your 4th playthrough.
Guren Mk-II: At the start of your 5th playthrough.
Z-3 White Unicorn Custom: At the start of your 6th playthrough or enter pre-order code.
Bonta-kun: At the start of your 7th playthrough.
XAN: At the start of your 8th playthrough.
Lancelot & Lancelot Air Calvary: At the start of your 9th playthrough.
Hi-Nu Gundam & Crossbone Gundam X-1: At the start of your 10th playthrough.
VF-0S & Armored Klan: At the start of your 11th playthrough.
Crossbone Gundam X-1 Full Cloth: At the start of your 12th playthrough.

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, I just had a good dinner with a friend drank lots of caffine and and gonna take a quick shower so I will be refreshed and fully awake and then I'm going to start over on easy with a different series and leave my first impression experiences aside and try to give the game a fair shake on my 2nd try. Also I'm turning auto-lock OFF.

One thing though is the way the bgms are handled is so weird. I like that they let you change every part, but when a stage has a half dozen parts and their all original non-series BGM...it seems weird. Like they have synth themes of all the shows (some shows have like 3-4!) but early on at least it seems like for a lot of missions they don't...use them. Which is just such a different feel than earlier ACE where you're flying around beating up stuff to your theme music and feeling really into it. And the problem with custom mp3s is the volume level is all over the place ^^; I have to keep bringing up the menu and adjusting the audio levels each new song >_<

And unskippable cutscenes in 2010 that you have to sit through on route replays or after death retries is :mad:

Also when I eventually finish a route this week I'm going to record the staff roll so we can figure out who actually made this game.

donkey show said:
There's like one. :lol

EDIT: Thanks for finding that glitch. Makes the game much more enjoyable on repeat plays instead of having to grind it out! :lol

The glitch also works for pilot points!

Max tension rate on everybody here I come :)

MechaX

Bebpo said:
Also there's a super easy glitch to get 9999999999999999999 ACE points and max every unit off the start :lol

I'm staying away from it at least for first playthrough or if I get "I'm gonna throw this disc into the wall" frustrated at a boss.

Basically you go to the upgrade unit screen:
1. move your cursor to the slot above the one you can afford, try to buy it and it'll say (you can't afford this - press O)
2. move one back and try to buy and it'll bring the buy (O) or cancel (X) message. Hit X
3. press right+O at the same time and it'll give you the buy/cancel message on the slot you can't afford which results in negative ace points. Hit buy
4. back out of the menu, you now have 999999999999999999999 Ace points

That has to be intentionally put in.

Hooooooly shit, how in the world did that get past testing.

But hm.. Kinda disappointing impressions for this game so far. I still think that ACE2 was only a marginal step-down from ZOE2 with ACE3 being an okay sequel in the grand scheme of things. I think the problem for me is that I'm not entirely grasping how bad this new Tension system really is without playing it. Hell, most of the appeal of ACE2/3 was how it encourages you to use different suits when considering that the upgrades won't make that big of a difference (provided that you release the limiter for the robot in question, in which I'm glad ACE3 made it extraordinarily easier to do).

Bebpo

Banned
the problem with the tension system is that it combines with [] shot being useless. While you're waiting for your meter to build to let you use your other attacks, you only have 3 attacks available: [] shot (useless), triangle melee, O grab (kind of useless besides zero shift dashing it does to get you close).

So this means the majority of the gameplay is one button: triangle. Melee, melee, melee and sure all the units might play differently but melee is about the same for everyone. You run/fly up and hit them. So it basically negates their uniqueness and makes everything the same boring melee game.

Like making [] shots useless, ditching launch sequences, and making unskippable cutscenes, I'm not sure how the tension system got approved as a "good change"

Lucis

Pre-Ordering @ Play-Asia.com - Explanation and Apology - A.C.E.: Another Century's Episode R

Recently, with the release of A.C.E.: Another Century's Episode R, some flaws in our pre-order management have been exposed. Please read through this letter and please rest assured that we take all the necessary steps to not have this matter repeated again in the future.

What went wrong

Cause A
Many of you are placing pre-orders to ensure smooth and earliest delivery. Pre-ordering also helps us to gauge customer interest in a product and to use this as a forecast of how big our purchase orders need to be. But placing purchase orders can be a nerve-wrecking business for our purchasers because they can never get right. Buy too many and we sit on stock that is selling slowly or not at all, buy too little and we can't ship out to you and you are angry with us with every right of being so. Plus purchasers need to place their orders many months in advance. Our purchases where, although barely enough under perfect circumstances, on the low side.

Cause B
A simple way to decide in which priority orders are shipped is by having the order with smaller order number shipped first. This is a very simple thing to do and we have followed this for many years. However, around a year ago, we changed our tactics slightly and did not only use the order number for priority evaluation, but a mix of order number and order modification log. As many of you know, an order at Play-Asia.com can be changed before it is being shipped. Say, a customer who pre-orders Item #1 very early on, but not Item #2, will be early in the pre-order list, regardless of which items they may add to the order at a later stage. If they then choose to change the order to include Item #2 they would get it shipped before others although they didn't order Item #2 until very late. We felt this was unfair to those who order their items early on and this is why this change has been made.

Cause C
Our main shipment was unfortunately delayed in Japan and thus only additional, smaller shipments arrived.

What happened
Now, combine a poor purchasing forecast from A, with our operation procedures as laid out in B, and a shipping delay from C, we had a situation where not many orders at all could be shipped on release day. On top of that, many orders did not ship that should have as our procedures put less emphasis on the order number. In fact, since we established this procedure a year ago we have never had much complaint but at the same time never faced a situation where our main shipment was delayed and only small secondary shipments arrived until 3 days past release date.

Conclusion
1. We have reverted our systems back to order number based and will monitor to make sure that those who order early are also getting their products early. We have also in planning more features to make your pre-order experience a better one and will update all our customers about these changes in the near future.

2. We will improve our purchasing operations to not have this unfortunate event of missing of the main shipment delaying all orders again.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope it can be forgiven. As a token of appreciation, all orders of A.C.E. : Another Century's Episode R that ship on Saturday 21st of August will include a small free gift.

As an update on the shipping situation of said game, all pre-orders clear today and we receive further stock on Tuesday which will cover the pending orders and we forecast to ship new orders from stock on Wednesday, August 25th.

FUUUUUUUUCK

Bebpo

Banned
To put it in perspective, when the first streams were going up I saw a few gamefaqs comments going:

"lol, these guys are such terrible players. Why are they meleeing everything? Don't they know there's a square button. It's there to shoot things"

But after playing the game you realize they were doing that because they had no other choice!

Also to steal a post on the gamefaqs board about why charge moves are really stupid:

A lot of attacks require you to hold down your button for awhile before you can use it. The problem with this is that most enemy attacks, and even your own movements (if you hold down X for more than a split second, you lose your charge) will reset your charge. So even if you did want to use some of the supers with startup, it's so hard to do because of the charging thing. Between charging, trying to turn around, and dashing to dodge things, I feel like I might as well get tongue-tied, but with my fingers instead.

An example of a charge move that should not be a "STAND STILL AND CHARGE" move is Destiny's boomerang lightsaber throw. It's a small little projectile used to just throw out at an enemy in the middle of action. But here you have to stop, stand still, charge up, then let go and throw a little dinky boomerang that only works against grunts....why??!?

The game is basically full of bad gameplay ideas which are completely out of left field and either replace old systems that worked fine or are new additions that only make it worse.

The thing that all these negative things do is make the game frustrating and not just pure fun. That is what ACE is supposed to be: having tons of fun flying around as your favorite mechs blowing up stuff. Making the gameplay always work against you and make everything a hassle or frustrating takes away from that IMO.

Kirashi said:
Pre-Ordering @ Play-Asia.com - Explanation and Apology - A.C.E.: Another Century's Episode R

Recently, with the release of A.C.E.: Another Century's Episode R, some flaws in our pre-order management have been exposed. Please read through this letter and please rest assured that we take all the necessary steps to not have this matter repeated again in the future.

What went wrong

Cause A
Many of you are placing pre-orders to ensure smooth and earliest delivery. Pre-ordering also helps us to gauge customer interest in a product and to use this as a forecast of how big our purchase orders need to be. But placing purchase orders can be a nerve-wrecking business for our purchasers because they can never get right. Buy too many and we sit on stock that is selling slowly or not at all, buy too little and we can't ship out to you and you are angry with us with every right of being so. Plus purchasers need to place their orders many months in advance. Our purchases where, although barely enough under perfect circumstances, on the low side.

Cause B
A simple way to decide in which priority orders are shipped is by having the order with smaller order number shipped first. This is a very simple thing to do and we have followed this for many years. However, around a year ago, we changed our tactics slightly and did not only use the order number for priority evaluation, but a mix of order number and order modification log. As many of you know, an order at Play-Asia.com can be changed before it is being shipped. Say, a customer who pre-orders Item #1 very early on, but not Item #2, will be early in the pre-order list, regardless of which items they may add to the order at a later stage. If they then choose to change the order to include Item #2 they would get it shipped before others although they didn't order Item #2 until very late. We felt this was unfair to those who order their items early on and this is why this change has been made.

Cause C
Our main shipment was unfortunately delayed in Japan and thus only additional, smaller shipments arrived.

As an update on the shipping situation of said game, all pre-orders clear today and we receive further stock on Tuesday which will cover the pending orders and we forecast to ship new orders from stock on Wednesday, August 25th.

FUUUUUUUUCK

:(

Yeah, after getting screwed 2-3-4 times by P-A on orders I changed over to NCSX permanently since January and it's been great all year.

I am kinda glad I decided to pass this up. I bought both ACE1 and 2 on the cheap and although they have their flaws(ACE 1 controls feel kind of jerky to me a lot of times) they are solid but not quite amazing games in my book.

The changes you guys are talking about aren't really sounding very nice. Maybe I will just pick up ACE3 since the release of this one will probably push the price down.

Oh well I guess I can always load up Gundam Senki for my HD mech madness.

I'm playing through with Amuro's Zeta right now and it's really good. It's beam rifle isn't gimped in regards to firing rate and it's very strong.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, did a little over 2 hours of Geass route on easy and...it was not bad! Having fun :)

I don't know if it's because it's on easy or Guren is just a really good unit and Destiny was a really shitty one, but for one thing her square shot actually works! It kills really weak grunts in 1 hit and normal grunts in 2 hits, bigger grunts take a few. This makes the slow rate of fire ok since you tap one shot, L2 lock change to the next enemy, tap one shot, repeat while flying around. Since her tension builds from doing damage, this means you can build it up quickly while flying around and she has a ton of sub-attacks that are pretty cheap like 1-2 tension bars with big useful ones at 3-4 bars. So you can mix it up fairly often. Her melee is pretty good and when skating on the ground she is FAST. With Destiny I got D for glamour EVERY FREAKING MISSION, but I get S-B with Guren and getting better scores means getting more Ace points which means having stronger, better units which score better so it's circular. Also nice that C.C.'s support skill doubles your pilot xp so you get a lot of that quickly to level your pilot. She also charges all her charge attacks super fast. I don't know if that's her unit or if playing on easy makes the charge time for attacks quicker.

But If playing on easy means making charge times quick and useful and that enemies have less HP, which means that [] shot is actually almost as useful as ACE1-3, then that seems like a pretty good reason to play easy! (although it makes the game kind of easy like ACE3 but even easier).

Skating on the ground circle strafing a boss with shots and rush combos to and then big tension attacks is pretty awesome.

The story stuff is more enjoyable too for me personally because Lelouche is lololol. Graphics also seem a little better which makes me wonder, since they use real scaling, if the graphics were made attuned to the smaller units like Orguss, Macross, Geass and look off for the big units like Gundam.

Things that are still pretty bad:
-Escort missions are annoying. The camera is pretty bad and it's hard to follow them and keep them safe.
-The camera in general is insane. Like ACE1-3 had some bad cameras, but this is the worst it's been in the series. Auto-lock OFF and knowing when to hold L2 and fly is important.
-Fighting ships suck because you have to take them apart piece by piece, which means your big SHIP DESTROYING BEAM sub-weapons won't actually do much damage since they'll just hit one part and destroy it and not do much to the overall ship. Best way to kill ships seems to be flying around it with your pea shooter [] shot taking out each part in 1-2 shots.

Bebpo

Banned
I tried Strike Freedom and he was pretty awful until like 10 mins into the map when tension final hit bar 5 and he could go into SEED mode. Once in SEED he's awesome because full burst multi-lock destruction only costs 1 bar and he can spam it all day.

I get the feeling that any pilot that has the "tension slowly rises over time" type sucks. Since you can't influence the meter, you can't use your sub-weapons much and so you want to save your tension for when you really need it. Sure when you max tension rate it'll be better, but that's still a lot of missions and until then they're stuck doing nothing but standard shot/melee. I can't get above a D in glamor with any of the SEED pilots because they're all that type.

Oh and change target to DIRECTION under controls. Makes a HUGE difference when trying to hold L2, turn towards something and lock onto it.

Bebpo

Banned
The ART-1 is incredibly broken for bosses in a good way. The page 2 [] shot burst can kill a boss in 1 or 2 shots at point blank range and it only costs 1 tension and he gains a lot of tension from triangle melee combos. His weakness is that he's totally meh for grunts, don't expect to get good scores or a lot of ace points with him. But if you need a boss killer, the ART-1 is it.

Xater

The redSunGamer strwam and Bebpo basically turned me off this game. It really seems to be a bummer how it turned out especially since the last games apperently were really good.

Oh well I guess the wait for Armored Core 5 continues.

KTallguy

Banned
duckroll said:
Armored Core 5 better have a solid showing at TGS...

I'm praying to whatever gods might exist out there, this game sounds pretty broken...

Maybe they'll patch the fucker though...

onken

Nearly picked this up today but whussed out at the last minute, I'll give it a few weeks and see where the price goes. Looks pretty cool though.

Bebpo

Banned
ehhhh, I don't want to turn people off from the game. It's worth playing if you like ACE & you like the series included this time around, though I would not say it's worth it at the current ridiculously high price. At a normal $40-50 or so maybe.

I wouldn't say I've done a complete 180 from my first impressions, but I am enjoying the game now. It's fun and decent looking albiet incredibly flawed and frustrating at times. I blame my early impressions on starting with seed destiny who so far seem to be the most unfun units in the game that exemplify the problems with the gameplay. The game makes no attempt to balance all the units and make them equally good and fun to play as. So your experience may be wildly different depending on what series you start with. Also some units just suck for specific stages. Like Guren is great against slow enemies or in small environments, but against teleporting overmen or fast flying macross enemies she is not so hot. But if you match up the right units with the right missions it can really be that next-gen ACE experience you want.

I think it'll be quite enjoyable for a single playthrough (at least on easy, haha), but the unlock system requiring 11 plays of nearly identical game playthroughs (first 3 missions are unique each time, next 16 are the exact same) combined with super long unskippable Macross Frontier cutscenes (there's a rumor around that the license holder pushing Mac F required all scenes involving Mac F to be unskippable for promotional value; the game also gets the most coverage of any of the series included) kind of kill the replay value. I tried replaying a mission to get a better score and had to sit through a 4 min cutscene of Ranka singing in the middle of the action again and that basically stopped me from ever replaying a mission for fun again. I wish there was a way to unlock all the hidden units without having to grind the game for a 100 hours. I'd pay 100yen per unit just for unlock codes if $1 saves me 12 hours of grind. Then I could just do the first 3 unique missions of each route and call it a day. I really want my Hi-Nu and Crossbone Cloaked :|

Neo Member
It took a bit of doing, but I finally made it through. The last few missions felt like a total slog.
The Macross F stuff was cool at first, but when I realized I was going to be playing through a poor recreation of the last episode with poorly choreographed shot-for-shot ingame cinemas, it kind of killed it for me.

I played ACE2 a long time ago, and I didn't play it for more than an hour or so, but I liked it for what it was once I realized it wasn't the style of game I thought it was going to be. I sort of forgot about ACE3 and figured ACER would be my chance to get back into the series, but I found the game underwhelming at best. From what I've read, people seem to have a pretty high opinion of ACE3. To people who've played both: would it be worth it to give ACE3 a shot?

Okay, everyone should play as Aquarion first. It's fun as hell with the in-game gattai and MUGEN PAAAANCH!!! I wish I had played them initially as it would have made my first impressions a lot more favorable since Aquarion doesn't feel gimped in comparison to other main units like Destiny and Crossbone. :(

Bebpo

Banned
0405 said:
I played ACE2 a long time ago, and I didn't play it for more than an hour or so, but I liked it for what it was once I realized it wasn't the style of game I thought it was going to be. I sort of forgot about ACE3 and figured ACER would be my chance to get back into the series, but I found the game underwhelming at best. From what I've read, people seem to have a pretty high opinion of ACE3. To people who've played both: would it be worth it to give ACE3 a shot?

Yeah, ACE3 is great and much better than this. I was kind of letdown when it came out because it felt like more of an arcade game than an armored core type game (and Turn A Gundam / First Gundam / SEED didn't actually have any story). It was kind of short, skipped around story-wise (greatest hits of all the shows involved besides those 3), and everything controlled really well and was fun. The game was ~30 missions long, so ~15 hours. The structure was an X with two branches that meet in the middle and then split again. So two playthroughs is enough to do everything. The series are great and there's over 50 playable units. Also the music is awesome. It's also nice that since every stage is from an anime, the radio chatter is the characters from that show re-inacting scenes the whole mission.

Since you just finished R, just compare it to this and you'll see how different they seem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayOv7YmAyM

Bebpo said:
Yeah, ACE3 is great and much better than this. I was kind of letdown when it came out because it felt like more of an arcade game than an armored core type game (and Turn A Gundam / First Gundam / SEED didn't actually have any story). It was kind of short, skipped around story-wise (greatest hits of all the shows involved besides those 3), and everything controlled really well and was fun. The game was ~30 missions long, so ~15 hours. The structure was an X with two branches that meet in the middle and then split again. So two playthroughs is enough to do everything. The series are great and there's over 50 playable units. Also the music is awesome. It's also nice that since every stage is from an anime, the radio chatter is the characters from that show re-inacting scenes the whole mission.

Since you just finished R, just compare it to this and you'll see how different they seem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayOv7YmAyM
Blargh, it makes me want to play ACE3 again. Also, ACE:R totally didn't have the artbooks like the previous ones. =( It's really confusing why they decided to change the gameplay setup versus 3. It worked fine without any hassle at all.

Bebpo

Banned
ACE:R also doesn't tell you anything

Like there are 4 types of ways to build tension:
-Attack: goes up as you do damage
-HPattack: goes up as you do damage but scales depending on your HP; the lower the HP the faster you gain
-Time: goes up over time
-HPtime: goes up over time but scales depending on your HP; the lower the HP the faster you gain

But afaik there is no way to see what type a pilot uses. You just have to get into the mission and figure it out.

And then the weapons. There is no description of what any of the attacks/sub-weapons do :lol

This means you have to go into a mission and build tension and waste it one by one to try out each sub-weapon to see what it does and how it works. With units that take forever to build tension and have a lot of sub-weapons....that can take a while!

This is like common sense stuff! I dunnooooo, game is so weird.

Okay, Aquarion is now my favorite unit. It literally has everything from an unescapable attack with Mugen Punch to Aquarion Luna's beasty "make it rain" AOE attack that has destroyed multiple bosses in one go. It's too, too good. Hell, you can just play as Aquarion Luna and not have to worry about switching unless you really want to melee (which Aquarion Mars is the best at). Luna's basic machine gun is rather strong and its firing rate is better than the Macross units.

But yeah, the game design in ACE:R is backwards. After all this time supposedly working on it, it's like they literally ditched the last 3 games and started from scratch. :lol

Beth Cyra

Hmm I was going to pick this up for Hi-Nu, Crossbone and Aquarion but after reading some of these impressions I ain't so sure.

I know some didn't like the story structure but I thought that ACE III played freaking great, easily my favorite out of the first three and to see so many things changed (for the worse?) doesn't sound to appealing to me.

I do like the sound of increased melee presence sine there are so many units that are Melee focused like Destiny and Aquarion this time but it sounds like they gimped the ranged far to much.

That and I really really hate escort missions.

So I think I am going to just skip this one overall, or at least wait till a price collapse if there is one.

TruePrime said:
Hmm I was going to pick this up for Hi-Nu, Crossbone and Aquarion but after reading some of these impressions I ain't so sure.

I know some didn't like the story structure but I thought that ACE III played freaking great, easily my favorite out of the first three and to see so many things changed (for the worse?) doesn't sound to appealing to me.

I do like the sound of increased melee presence sine there are so many units that are Melee focused like Destiny and Aquarion this time but it sounds like they gimped the ranged far to much.

So I think I am going to just skip this one overall, or at least wait till a price collapse if there is one.
Nah, Aquarion is by far the best and most well rounded unit there. It's full on killer. If you wanna see it how it plays, check out my stream. Aquarion Luna and Mars make the game so much more satisfying as it has the best balance of long range and melee.

Beth Cyra

donkey show said:
Nah, Aquarion is by far the best and most well rounded unit there. It's full on killer. If you wanna see it how it plays, check out my stream. Aquarion Luna and Mars make the game so much more satisfying as it has the best balance of long range and melee.

I already am, I saw you posted the link right before I did so I clicked on it. Luna seems cool, reminds me alot of Wing Zero's Rolling TBC spam after Limiter unlock in ACE III.

How is Solar? Solar/Apollo where my favorites in the anime, and I loved using him in SRW Z (though sadly I was in Luna most of the game as her Lunar Rain was over powered there to.) so I was hoping he would have a good balance given his Mugen Punch and Cross, am I out of luck?

Bebpo

Banned
TruePrime said:

I wouldn't buy the game for any of the secret units since there's a good chance you will over the game before you even get them. With Hi-Nu requiring 7 playthroughs, it could be about 50-60 hours+ before you'd get it.

TruePrime said:
I already am, I saw you posted the link right before I did so I clicked on it. Luna seems cool, reminds me alot of Wing Zero's Rolling TBC spam after Limiter unlock in ACE III.

How is Solar? Solar/Apollo where my favorites in the anime, and I loved using him in SRW Z (though sadly I was in Luna most of the game as her Lunar Rain was over powered there to.) so I was hoping he would have a good balance given his Mugen Punch and Cross, am I out of luck?
Sol is your overkill when you want to just beast bosses. Its mugen punch is unblockable and it has a good balance in long range/melee between Luna and Mars, but since you can switch mid-battle, you might as well just switch since they're that much better than Sol in those categories.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
I wouldn't buy the game for any of the secret units since there's a good chance you will over the game before you even get them.
Yeah I saw your post about that. It I could handle the a medicore game as long as I had a some good units, hell I liked ACE III the best and a bunch of people I know think that was far worse then II.

But medicore to bad design plus making me wait until a billion play throughs for Hi-Nu and Crossbone with a Cloack? That just freaking sucks.

But like I said a price collapse and with that cheat I might pick it up so I can spam Aquarion till I get the Hi-Nu and Crossbone.

The thing is can you beat it over and over again and have it count as play throughs? Or if I beat it with Aquarion more then once will I only get credit the first time?

Beth Cyra

donkey show said:
Sol is your overkill when you want to just beast bosses. Its mugen punch is unblockable and it has a good balance in long range/melee between Luna and Mars, but since you can switch mid-battle, you might as well just switch since they're that much better than Sol in those categories.

Cool thanks donkey show for the info.

Awesome Mugen Punch spam on that last level, but I can see why you switch to stay in Luna, shit takes way to long.

TruePrime said:
Cool thanks donkey show for the info.

Awesome Mugen Punch spam on that last level, but I can see why you switch to stay in Luna, shit takes way to long.
No problem, man!

Cool thing is you can skip all battle animations, but you can't fucking skip Ranka's stupid face. =/ And Mugen Punch spam is always fun!

And I think playthroughs only count as choosing a new series. Thankfully, you aren't stuck with the series units after the third mission, so you can spam Aquarion action all the way through.

Beth Cyra

donkey show said:
No problem, man!

Cool thing is you can skip all battle animations, but you can't fucking skip Ranka's stupid face. =/ And Mugen Punch spam is always fun!

Unless I misunderstood something, I can't believe they let you skip some cutscenes but not the ones with this boring ass shit in it.

Beth Cyra

donkey show said:
ACE:R team has Ranka hard ons.

Something, that little Anime pop up that had her looking like she was doing something rather different then singing.

Creepy.

Did they really just have the whole cast salute them singers?

What the hell is up with this game.

TruePrime said:
Something, that little Anime pop up that had her looking like she was doing something rather different then singing.

Creepy.

Did they really just have the whole cast salute them singers?

What the hell is up with this game.
YyKN4.jpg

Top Bottom