• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

Meffer

This just blew my mind for one reason everyone is skipping over: The Nintendo Switch has the potential to revive the PS Vita. Imagine the easy port jobs between the two.

Edit: Also, think about all of those 3ds developers and their massive new Switch library in the future easily coming over to vita. The potential is there.

Nah man, it would just mean the Switch is better in every way compared to the Vita. Vita is dead.

lenovox1

what about the framrate of ns, 30 or 60 ??

Other people have made a good point in that we have only seen this game in handheld mode. But you would think that they would use the best possible footage in the direct feed trailer.

Regardless, if this is a quick and dirty uprez of the Vita version of DQH II and the PS3 version of DQH I, you'll be lucky to get 30 fps regardless of mode.

Not that the Switch can't handle a Vita game, but you'll be seeing very little optimization with this.

EDarkness

Easier to upport than to downport. Same reason why Vita was getting 3ds lego upports and not console downports even when ps3 was on the market.

Personally, I find it easier to downport. I can't speak for other programmers, but I find going down to lower spec'd hardware to be simpler since the foundation has already been laid, so things can be tweeked to fit the hardware you're working on. Porting up is just more work, in my opinion. Too many things to add which takes more time.

lenovox1

Personally, I find it easier to downport. I can't speak for other programmers, but I find going down to lower spec'd hardware to be simpler since the foundation has already been laid, so things can be tweeked to fit the hardware you're working on. Porting up is just more work, in my opinion. Too many things to add which takes more time.

The reason we're speculating they're up porting is because the PS4 version of the game is 30 GB and the Vita version is 3 GB.

When you're trying to get two games on one standard (I'm guessing the 16 GB) card, is it easier to start from the bare minimum and add a little polish here and there? That's what they seem to have decided here.

massoluk

Banned
Well, yeah. It's a quicky port. And yeah, Switch is obviously less powerful than PS4. And yeah it looks worse than PS4 version. But using the game as representative of the Switch is mind boggling. Of course the Switch can do better, we have Botw, Mario Odyssey, etc running on it, people.

Well, yeah. It's a quicky port. And yeah, Switch is obviously less powerful than PS4. And yeah it looks worse than PS4 version. But using the game as representative of the Switch is mind boggling. Of course the Switch can do better, we have Botw, Mario Odyssey, etc running on it, people.
Nintendo can make magic out of hardware, though. This is a little disconcerting for third party ports that come over.

lenovox1

Nintendo can make magic out of hardware, though. This is a little disconcerting for third party ports that come over.

It's a launch game that's probably based on the Vita title. Don't base the performance of a system on launch ports.

Can you at least wait until solid footage of something like Steep before the tears come?

what!!! r u sure??

Did you see the trailer? I, mean, it could always get better, but...

Not even as powerful as ps3 really.

Here's what you're saying. You're saying console utilizing a mobile chipset that's several mobile generations powerful than a Vita is actually less or about as powerful as a Vita.

Even you know that's not true.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Quick launch port underperforming compared to the lead version on a far superior hardware - yup shocking.

1bkpx5.png

2fkphq.png

comparison-2mcp92.gif

Thank you so much, Wishmaster!!! Fulfilling wishes since '92! :) :)

duckroll

BotW is a WiiU game in 900p at 30fps. No one has seen Mario on an actual Switch. Xenoblade 2 looks really rough. Bomberman is 30fps. Not looking great as a first impression tech wise. In factfact, DQH does seem indicative since it falls in line with all that.

lenovox1

BotW is a WiiU game in 900p at 30fps. No one has seen Mario on an actual Switch. Xenoblade 2 looks really rough. Bomberman is 30fps. Not looking great as a first impression tech wise. In factfact, DQH does seem indicative since it falls in line with all that.

They played Mario during Treehouse Live. Yes, it looks that good. ETA: And the screens they released were rough.

And isn't Zelda aiming for 1080P?

And aren't most people's problems with Xenoblade II it's art style? It's textures and geometry look fine.

And we're going to use Bomberman as a graphical showcase?

Like I said, we can have a proper discussion when we get some real Steep footage, the only true Xbox One/PS4 port coming within the year.

crinale

Wait what? Why does Bomberman have to be 30fps instead of 60?

sora87

This is why i hope japanese games keep coming out on switch and ps4. PS4 for exclusives and first party, switch foe nintendo first party.

Mory Dunz

You just gonna ignore Mario Kart like that >_>
And ARMs for that matter.
But then Splatoon 2 takes it back down a notch....

Eusis

I'd wait on launch. What I DO suspect however is that the GPU trounces it but the CPU is inversely stomped on by the PS3.

But that's probably apples versus oranges, given the Cell was its own weird over specialized beast.

duckroll

You just gonna ignore Mario Kart like that >_>
And ARMs for that matter.
But then Splatoon 2 takes it back down a notch....

I mean, the point isn't really that we don't think the Switch will never have great looking games right? That's really not a practical concern because even the weakest consoles tend to have at least one or two standout titles. I think in terms of practicality, the main area of interest is what the tech level means for the average developer. Excuses like "quick launch title" imply that it's a short-term problem. But I don't think so. If we look at the fact the multiplatform games announced on the Switch so far are deliberately opting to be based on last-gen versions whenever possible, it says something.

DQH, FIFA, Skyrim. 3 major publishers, 3 major franchises, 3 multi-generation titles. Why is the Switch version supposedly closest to the last gen ones each time? And more importantly, do we really expect this to get much better moving forward? It says something about the ease of porting a current gen (PS4/XB1) title to Switch - ie: not very easy. With the PS4 and XB1 getting incremental hardware upgrades, that seems like a problem that will grow larger, not get smaller.

Look, I'm getting a Switch at launch. I'm going to play the shit out of Zelda and Bomberman. I don't really care if some games look like shit. I'm excited for Xenoblade 2 even though the framerate in the trailer is really questionable. I've played janky Japanese console games all my life. But that doesn't mean closing my eyes and going "NANANANANA WILL GET BETTER!!!!". Even with "superior" hardware, we know how the PS3 generation went for Sony because their hardware was so difficult to work on. So tech issues do affect output and what is available on the platform. It's not just graphics whoring.

Here's what you're saying. You're saying console utilizing a mobile chipset that's several mobile generations powerful than a Vita is actually less or about as powerful as a Vita.
Your statement only makes sense if you think Vita is as powerful as a PS3. It isn't, at all. The Switch could easily be much more powerful than Vita and still be in the same ballpark as PS3. I'm not saying that's the actual situation, just that your logic isn't sound and doesn't refute it.

and people thought ME:Andromeda would be on the Switch.

Switch in its own league. I wonder how the Skyrim port will look.
If I had to guess, similar to the 360 version, running at 1080p docked with any luck. Maybe with a couple of additional effects made available with newer architecture.

I don't think it's a fair complaint to make when there is no other mobile device on the market pushing better visuals at a $250 price point.(if we are generous and say the joycons/dock make up $50 of the build cost)

In fact, tablets with similar capabilities and a total lack of software to take advantage of those capabilities are much more expensive.

lenovox1

[...]
DQH, FIFA, Skyrim. 3 major publishers, 3 major franchises, 3 multi-generation titles. Why is the Switch version supposedly closest to the last gen ones each time? And more importantly, do we really expect this to get much better moving forward? It says something about the ease of porting a current gen (PS4/XB1) title to Switch - ie: not very easy. With the PS4 and XB1 getting incremental hardware upgrades, that seems like a problem that will grow larger, not get smaller.

[...]

For a number of reasons that may not have anything to do with development tools, processor speed or architecture, or graphical effects.

If they're up porting DQH because they start from a smaller file size, that could also be why Skyrim and FIFA are getting the up port treatment.

Game cards must be expensive compared to disc based media, and publishers are going to want developers to go for the smallest file size possible with most multiplatform projects. (As we know, at 16GB, the size of a standard game card is much closer to the size of a dual layer DVD than it is to a Blu-ray.)

Or, at least, that might be the case with Skyrim. EA has its own special relationship with Nintendo hardware and past ports on said hardware.

ETA: Ultimately, it's very true that Switch versions of games are not going to look anything like they do on the PS4. But... This ain't exactly the pixel pushing project that's best to compare what type of technical features developers are going to have to turn off when porting games down to the Switch. It's not even a down port.

I just prefer my data to be as accurate as possible.

duckroll

I don't think it's a fair complaint to make when there is no other mobile device on the market pushing better visuals at a $250 price point.(if we are generous and say the joycons/dock make up $50 of the build cost)

In fact, tablets with similar capabilities and a total lack of software to take advantage of those capabilities are much more expensive.

Of course it's a fair complaint. What you are basically saying is that the Switch is a console priced at the same level as more powerful consoles, and the Switch is a portable priced at much more than other portables. The hows and whys don't matter to the consumer. The reality is that the Switch is a product that has disadvantages any way you look at it. It doesn't compare well. As far as the table comparison goes, I don't think you know what capabilities people look for in their tablets when you say there are similar ones. The Switch isn't a tablet. This isn't a comparison where we look at individual parts and price tags and go "ah this is fair". That's not how the consumer goods market works.

For a number of reasons that may not have anything to do with development tools, processor speed or architecture, or graphical effects.

If they're up porting DQH because they start from a smaller file size, that could also be why Skyrim and FIFA are getting the up port treatment.

Game cards must be expensive compared to disc based media, and publishers are going to want developers to go for the smallest file size possible with most multiplatform projects. (As we know, at 16GB, the size of a standard game card is much closer to the size of a dual layer DVD than it is to a Blu-ray.)

Or, at least, that might be the case with Skyrim. EA has its own special relationship with Nintendo hardware and past ports on said hardware.

If space is such a concern, and card size is already holding them back so much, wouldn't the simple conclusion then be that in future if the file size of multiplatform games are too large, developers will just ignore the Switch altogether? Isn't that even worse?

lenovox1

Of course it's a fair complaint. What you are basically saying is that the Switch is a console priced at the same level as more powerful consoles, and the Switch is a portable priced at much more than other portables. The hows and whys don't matter to the consumer. The reality is that the Switch is a product that has disadvantages any way you look at it. It doesn't compare well. As far as the table comparison goes, I don't think you know what capabilities people look for in their tablets when you say there are similar ones. The Switch isn't a tablet. This isn't a comparison where we look at individual parts and price tags and go "ah this is fair". That's not how the consumer goods market works.

Yeah, if someone is looking at the $200 New 3DS XL and its 240P screen and graphics to match and is looking at the $300 Switch and its 720P console like experience, they may pick up the 3DS because it has games.

If someone is looking at the $300 Switch and the $300 PS4 Slim and they see that they can play Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2(!) all over the backyard... They're going to pick up the PS4 because it has games.

For the first year, talking about this type of stuff doesn't mean much because the Switch can't compete with anything right now. It has no games. Nintendo is aiming at the early adopter and PS Vita crowd with this first year.

If space is such a concern, and card size is already holding them back so much, wouldn't the simple conclusion then be that in future if the file size of multiplatform games are too large, developers will just ignore the Switch altogether? Isn't that even worse?

It's not a concern of mine, because I'm sure the price of the game cards will go down and the size of a game card publishers can utilize will go up, just like it did generations prior.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My major issue with the Switch is that it'll miss out on the graphic heavy, size heavy AAA games that the PS4/Xbox One/PC are getting and will get if they're aiming to pull in the PS4/Xbox One/PC crowd.

Take for example FFXV. If Square Enix wants to put in FFXV in Switch, how the hell can they compress 50+ GB worth of content to say... 16GB?

massoluk

Banned
I think another issue of the Switch is that it'll miss out on the graphic heavy, size heavy AAA games that the PS4/Xbox One/PC are getting and will get if they're aiming to pull in the PS4/Xbox One/PC crowd.

Take for example FFXV. If Square Enix wants to put in FFXV in Switch, how the hell can they compress 50+ GB worth of content to say... 16GB?
They will use a bigger cart?

Eusis

Oh, yeah. Has the max size of Switch games been confirmed? Because yeah, being at 16 would keep things from being able to be very big at all and even keeps some Wii U games from being able to actually make the jump without heavy compromises. But if it's 32 then I imagine it can work for quite a few games afterall.

Veal

The fact that it's portable still outweighs the minuscule downgrade for me, and that will pretty much go for most games. As someone who goes to work everyday and usually brings their 3DS, the Switch is perfect, and small downgrades like particle effects don't make a huge difference.
This is where I am. The docking aspect will be nice at home. It's win win for me as far as that's concerned. I just hope third parties will optimize for good framerates/frame pacing at 720p at the very least.

kubricks

it looks like the vita version to me?

Yes, it does looks like the Vita version with higher resolution, didn't comment with this on first page as I think people will find this ... offending? To be fair let's wait till we see battle screen where more particle and lighting effect takes place.

Not that it really matters though, this game is boring as hell anyway, can't even bring myself to complete it despite feeling the Musou/Arpg bug biting lately. Ys8 and One piece Musou 3 trumps it in every single way it's not even funny.

My major issue with the Switch is that it'll miss out on the graphic heavy, size heavy AAA games that the PS4/Xbox One/PC are getting and will get if they're aiming to pull in the PS4/Xbox One/PC crowd.

Nobody should be expecting cutting edge AAA games on the Switch in the first place, especially from western 3rd parties. Nintendo hasn't made hardware to facilitate those games in more than a decade.

Banned
How dose downgrades work? Do they have to go through each area of the game and modify assets or is it like a slider they can just turn down stuff like PC settings?

Top Bottom