• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on Indies 'It was just good to talk about in 2013. It is less relevant now'

Just what is wrong with this guy? Microsoft's indie showcase was one of the most interesting segments of E3, I'd rather have 1 min of footage each for 8 indie games where 1 or 2 piques my interest enough that I then go looking for a full trailer than sitting through 8 mins of another zombie snorefest with "moral choices" that I don't care about.

jiggles

Banned
That quote (Indies are irrelevant in 2017) vs what he was actually saying (everyone already knows there's a ton of Indies on PS4, and 10 second clips in a montage tell you nothing) sure is something.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Not that I wholly disagree with the point you want to make, but "they are here, they are making tons of cash" also applies to most AAA releases, so it kind of invalidates the purpose of E3 as a whole if that's the criteria you use to stop showcasing something there.

What I meant was, indies needed to burst out of the notion of "small, disposable" category that they were pigeon-holed in by Xbox Live Arcade and PS3 digital. They were hugely successful in doing so.

blakep267

Read the full quote instead of the thread title. I don't think he's wrong. Just could have worded it better.

Ps <3 indies plugged a gap in their lineup in the early days of the console where there wasn't that much to play. console gamers know about them now as opposed to last-gen where you had a few notable releases and nothing else. the cream will generally float to the top. ps+ also helps despite some people hating those offerings.

Does ms really <3 indies now or were they just plugging a hole in their lineup due to nothing new to show for exclusives in their presser? You know those titles would have been dropped quick if they had a new Halo or some other larger AAA game to focus on.
You do realize they showed a bunch of AAA games and indie games in the conference

Zukkoyaki

Full quote isn't bad at all.

In a way, I kind of agree with him. 3-5 years ago indie games were something of a novelty and having lots of cool ones on your platform was a draw. But now, the industry doesn't make much distinction between indies and more traditional larger games. They've been successfully integrated so they don't need to go out of their way to give them special attention.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

In a way, I kind of agree with him. 3-5 years ago indie games were something of a novelty and having lots of cool ones on your platform was a draw. But now, the industry doesn't make much distinction between indies and more traditional larger games. They've been successfully integrated.

You made my point way better than I did, haha.

Drek

Didn't GAF use to be a place to come to get the full story, as opposed to the place creating endless controversies? Or is that just the idealized way I like to remember oldGAF? Time for a culling.

Anyway, reading the full quote this is more just disappointing than controversial, though Ryan could definitely use some speaking to the press training. The indie focus was one of the main reasons those early PlayStation 4 showcases were so great. Is this new indie frustration a result of the No Man's Sky fiasco?

It used to be a lot better than this to be sure. At this point I really don't know why I keep coming, other than familiarity. I'd be better off just getting my latest video game news through Giantbomb and Easy Allies podcasts, instead of wading through the cesspool of controversy craving for the lulz shitposts in an attempt to find some kind of relevant gaming discussion.

This might just be the last thread needed to get me to delete my account, honestly.

Orca

Microsoft's conference was basically 75% indies. I didn't like it. (And I didn't really like Sony's conference this year either).

That's the 'step back' part. I get that you don't like Microsoft...that hasn't changed since the days you were on IGN. You're apparently not interested in releasing your games on Xbox and they can't do anything right in your eyes.

So now imagine Phil Spencer had said that exact quote. Would your take still be how great it is that someone finally started telling it like it is and indies should be at other shows, not E3?

"Indie" games is kind of broad brush these days. While I agree with the idea that putting 10 games in a minute sizzle reel is stupid, that's also stupid for AAA games, but not devoting any time to the top three or four coming to the system is a huge backpedal and I can't understand why an indie dev would support the idea.

I'm saying that those things were such huge stories that they would have been detrimental and benficial no matter where they were shown. Those things didn't blow up because they were at E3. They blew up because after E3 ended it became a sticking point. And it would have became a sticking point if Microsoft did nothing but detail their launch plans in a regular Youtube video or blog post. It being at E3 didn't gain or hurt exposure for anyone.

My whole point is that big stories are big because they're important. And not showing indies at an hour long stage show while Sony is still actively pursuing and releasing indie titles is not a big or important story to the average consumer. And isn't going to be any bigger of a story because of what they did or didn't show at E3.

People heard about Xbone and didn't like how it was going to effect them playing video games. If Sony still puts out indie titles consistently, your average consumer is going to give a negative amount of fucks if they didn't show it on stage because the end result is an unchanged experience with their console.
Microsoft didn't just debut the ONE with unattractive features. They totally and completely failed to sell their audience on what those features were, and how they would benefit from their implimentation. You can make people believe in bad policy - it's just a matter of marketing. E3 is that occasion for marketing, and it's where Sony dropped the ball this year. They failed to sell their brand as something that is "For The Players".

SenkiDala

Perfectly reasonable response if you read it in full.

Yeah, but taking a tiny part of the quote out of its context and using it as the thread title to troll is way funnier, who cares what he's actually saying. Read 90% of the answers here, it's pretty obvious that nobody cares. :D

timberger

Seems a reasonable enough thing to say when you actually bother to read the article (Or even the full quote in the first post) and not just the thread title, as most posters here clearly have done... but then again, gaf will gaf so the OP deserves plenty of blame knowingly cooking up such a shitty thread title as well.

They failed to sell their brand as something that is "For The Players".

Yeah, by showing nothing but... uh... videogames?

It used to be a lot better than this to be sure. At this point I really don't know why I keep coming, other than familiarity. I'd be better off just getting my latest video game news through Giantbomb and Easy Allies podcasts, instead of wading through the cesspool of controversy craving for the lulz shitposts in an attempt to find some kind of relevant gaming discussion.

This might just be the last thread needed to get me to delete my account, honestly.
The modding standards have been garbage lately.
If you want this thread clean ans youre deleting your account anyway so say something thing ' i don't think switch will do well at all'
Mods will come running

Jim Ryan is really starting to remind me of Jack Tretton, I loved him but man he could say the most arrogant things. His rants against Nintendo were legendary.

They're starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond,' he added. 'I mean, you've gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale? Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I'm doing true accurate motion gaming?'

'Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those,' he said. 'He's too old for that.'

[Wii] is a lollipop, and I'm too old for lollipops.

Breads

Banned
In context of the entire conversation he's not wrong. There are other things that were literally more relevant given the limited amount of presentation time.

Messaging though - christ. Think of a better way to say it that won't be mined into oblivion.

In a way, I kind of agree with him. 3-5 years ago indie games were something of a novelty and having lots of cool ones on your platform was a draw. But now, the industry doesn't make much distinction between indies and more traditional larger games. They've been successfully integrated so they don't need to go out of their way to give them special attention.

You know what, this is actually true. I remember a few years back going to the PSN store and saying "Let me see what indie games are out today", but now its pretty much "Let me see what games are out today".

David___

Banned
Gotta question the quote choice when the whole thing doesnt even paint the picture the title does

Edit: Im blind apparently and completely missed the quote when reading the last part of the snippet

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That's the 'step back' part. I get that you don't like Microsoft...that hasn't changed since the days you were on IGN. You're apparently not interested in releasing your games on Xbox and they can't do anything right in your eyes.

I have been very vocal about how great ID@Xbox is. They are easily better than Sony in regards to indie outreach. When I announced my game for PS4, MS contacted me and had very great and kind things to say about my game and we had some fantastic discussions. With Sony it kind of feels more like I'm running uphill.

So now imagine Phil Spencer had said that exact quote. Would your take still be how great it is that someone finally started telling it like it is and indies should be at other shows, not E3?

I would probably think, "oh good he saw his own press conference and realized it was not the best way to roll out indies onto the stage."

Gator86

The modding standards have been garbage lately.
If you want this thread clean ans youre deleting your account anyway so say something thing ' i don't think switch will do well at all'
Mods will come running

I don't think it's fair to blame anything on the mods. The sheer volume of shit spewing out of Gaf posters these days is profound. They're volunteers, not full-time, paid employees. During E3, there were pinned posts on the front page about dumb, lazy, reactionary threads not being allowed and people still filled the first page with them. Honestly, the mods probably just need to start nuking accounts for bad threads or relentless shitposting.

To play devil's advocate, I almost think that Jim is saying that there isn't an indy market anymore. Thanks to crowdfunding and social media marketing, indy game budgets have ballooned to the point where they are unrecognizable from AAA games. And with digital releases being the primary game-delivery service for hardcore gamers, it's impossible to show off a game nowadays and say for sure what it is. The distinction is gone.

In context of the entire conversation he's not wrong. There are other things that were literally more relevant given the limited amount of presentation time.

Messaging though - christ. Think of a better way to say it that won't be mined into oblivion.

"We believe indies like Undertale and Matterfall are as important as our main titles such as Gran Turismo."

Fredrik

He legitimately did not single out indie games.
Oh right he lumped them together with GTSport and PlayLink. Wonderful. Well GTSport would sell with zero coverage and PlayLink is barely even casual gaming. I think it's disrespectful to not give indie games some stage time at an event like this, many games are awesome and more aimed at core gamers even than Sonys own 1st party games. A short video would be enough. Sony could afford that, just to show their appreciation. Doesn't matter how they explain it really, if I were an indie dev I would be pissed how little they cared that I put my game on their platform.

Nothing wrong with what he said and I'd completely agree. It makes total sense.

smh at the misleading OP headline and people not reading what he actually said.

If he means to say that indies were more important at the start of the gen as a means to flesh out lineups and now that AAA development is in full swing, they are less so, then I probably agree.

zenspider

I understand what he's saying, I just disagree. Indies and ID@xbox were among the highlights at the MS show - so much so that I had to do research to see if I had to buy an Xbox One anytime soon (console exclusive yadayada).

Oh right he lumped them together with GTSport and PlayLink. Wonderful. Well GTSport would sell with zero coverage and PlayLink is barely even casual gaming. I think it's disrespectful to not give indie games some stage time at an event like this, many games are awesome and more aimed at core gamers even than Sonys own 1st party games. A short video would be enough. Sony could afford that, just to show their appreciation. Doesn't matter how they explain it really, if I were an indie dev I would be pissed how little they cared that I put my game on their platform.
First bolded I don't see what's bad about that at all

2nd bolded idk about that at all..

Sony put ni no kuni,knack 2,Gt sport, matterfall, The inpatient, everybody's golf on the pre show it most certainly wasn't an haha indies thing

This is like missing the point and goal post moving all in one.

Impressive.

Well, their relevancy is tied to how well they sell. Sony used to have team dedicated to aquiring and distributing Indie games. That team is disbanded and formed a new team. Sony has no such team anymore.

Clearly Sony is stepping away from Indies in the way they use to be involved with them.

joshcam19

The full quote is reasonable, he even says indies are important but we go with a click bait title and become incredibly unproductive so thanks for that.

phanphare

Banned
Well, their relevancy is tied to how well they sell. Sony used to have team dedicated to aquiring and distributing Indie games. That team is disbanded and formed a new team. Sony has no such team anymore.

Clearly Sony is stepping away from Indies in the way they use to be involved with them.

which is a shame imo

E92 M3

I rather have indies than this:

uinIRCu.jpg

Orca

I have been very vocal about how great ID@Xbox is. They are easily better than Sony in regards to indie outreach. When I announced my game for PS4, MS contacted me and had very great and kind things to say about my game and we had some fantastic discussions. With Sony it kind of feels more like I'm running uphill.

So what you're saying is there's a chance CSD2 is heading to Xbox One X?

Azull

Yeah that click bait title is pretty brutal OP. Full quote with context shows that his statement is much more reasonable.

Fredrik

First bolded I don't see what's bad about that at all

2nd bolded idk about that at all..

Sony put ni no kuni,knack 2,Gt sport, matterfall, The inpatient, everybody's golf on the pre show it most certainly wasn't an haha indies thing
Well it's just too bad that lots of people missed the pre show completely and just saw the real E3 presentation. But fair enough, still great that something was shown.

Top Bottom