• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwyneth Paltrow Defends N-Word Tweet. The Dream attempts to eat the charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangocube

Banned
White bitch tries to be cool and fails. I see nothing to really to be offended about here. The only response should be 'lolwhitepeople.gif' and move on to something actually relevant.

Well, glad we know where you stand now.

Not sure what the issue is here. She used the title of a song to reference the people that made the song and the title? So, if you are hanging out with friends, you shouldn't ever mention their work or accomplishments if someone else might find it offensive? Huh?

Canuck76

Banned
Easier said than done, a lot of people for example can make self deprecating humor at their and people who look like they do's expense and it be exceptable. While the N word is on another level, it's not like people have a monthly black council meeting to discuss these kinda things.

Certainly. And in this case it was basically factual. But crap like this wouldn't come up if there was no tolerance from everybody on this kind of thing.

Ganhyun

You can't read.

I'm not the one complaining about a tweet that she apparently did not send.

Im also not going to sit here and argue with you. dy and others have already pointed out why there is no need to get upset and call her out on this anyway.

JCX

Easier said than done, a lot of people for example can make self deprecating humor at their and people who look like they do's expense and it be exceptable. While the N word is on another level, it's not like people have a monthly black council meeting to discuss these kinda things.

Of course not, it's a quarterly newsletter and an annual conference.

daw840

white "outrage" on not being allowed to say the n-word is hilarious. There are plenty of words I can't say and I don't give a shit. They say "bitch" a lot in rap music too, doesn't mean I go around calling females that. Maybe I should cry about reverse-sexism for not being able to indiscriminately say the b-curse. Oh poor me I am a man who's rights have been trampled, its so hard being a man in this PC society WAAAAAAAAH /cries.

This is an awful analogy.

If I am sitting around talking shit about a friend or acquaintance and say "fuck that bitch" (firl or guy) in a joking manner around a girl or guy no one bats an eye. Be it a girl or a guy. If I say "fuck that nigga" in the same manner people get very offended. Rightfully so, might I add.

Full disclosure, I don't ever do the latter....I hope that's understood.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wait, the one's sending the tweet is not her, right? But rather someone else using her phone?

So why all the outrage towards her?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Perhaps this shows that we are at the cusp of some racial harmony. As a society we have gone from being offended by slavery, to separate but equal, to lynching, to police breaking out fire hoses on blacks in the 50's and 60's to the point where the only thing people really get upset about is when white people use a word that is used almost exclusively by the black community.

I won't even make the argument that white people should use the word, but unless they are using it in a blatantly derogatory fashion, it's not worth giving the race-baiters fodder to debate over.

what in the fuck

people are generally offput because getting mad over this devalues legitimate discussion over actual racial matters.

its jesse jacksoning - not some confirmation that racism is over lol

I honestly wish white people would just take the n word back wholesale on a large scale. Just do it, I'm tired of faux outrage stories like this generate, and the best way to get rid of them is for all white people to just say the word casually, maybe come up with their own exclusive definition based on a new pronunciation.

Have you ever been to a rap concert? Are white people racist there for repeating the lyrics back to the rapper? I've seen this before and no black person on stage or in the audience had a problem with it. It's called context. The context of Paltrow's tweet was that she was at the WTT concert in Paris during the fucking encore when Kanye/Jay-Z played the song "Niggas In Paris" about ten times in a fucking row. She is not referring to herself or others as niggas who happen to be in Paris - she is reflecting on the fact that Niggas In Paris is being played in Paris. How is that an issue worth outrage, or a 7 page thread on a message board?

Why don't you niggas get outraged over black on black crime, or literacy rates, or single mother rates, or any number of non music/bullshit related, important issues impacting our community. This is some Jesse Jackson level bullshit. Stop chasing ambulances out of the community and start doing constructive stuff. God damn.

what in the fuck

people are generally offput because getting mad over this devalues legitimate discussion over actual racial matters.

its jesse jacksoning - not some confirmation that racism is over lol

It's a variant on 'The Boy who Cried Wolf.'

I always plug this book, but I think it can help these types of conversations: The Race Card: How Bluffing about Bias Makes Race Relations Worse, by Richard Thompson Ford.

really, it's important to note the difference between a "holy shit I don't care" attitude about this and having a similar reaction to something like the martin case or any cases or causes that deal with actual civil rights/legal issues.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I honestly wish white people would just take the n word back wholesale on a large scale. Just do it, I'm tired of faux outrage stories like this generate, and the best way to get rid of them is for all white people to just say the word casually, maybe come up with their own exclusive definition based on a new pronunciation.

Have you ever been to a rap concert? Are white people racist there for repeating the lyrics back to the rapper? I've seen this before and no black person on stage or in the audience had a problem with it. It's called context. The context of Paltrow's tweet was that she was at the WTT concert in Paris during the fucking encore when Kanye/Jay-Z played the song "Niggas In Paris" about ten times in a fucking row. She is not referring to herself or others as niggas who happen to be in Paris - she is reflecting on the fact that Niggas In Paris is being played in Paris. How is that an issue worth outrage, or a 7 page thread on a message board?

Why don't you niggas get outraged over black on black crime, or literacy rates, or single mother rates, or any number of non music/bullshit related, important issues impacting our community. This is some Jesse Jackson level bullshit. Stop chasing ambulances out of the community and start doing constructive stuff. God damn.
*slow clap*

That about sums it up

I wasn't offended when I heard this story, but I am a bit surprised that people are denying the casual racism in the comment. Paltrow's 'clever' joke is essentially, "I'm standing next to some niggers in Paris and one of those niggers wrote a song called 'niggers in Paris', get it?" It's a stupid, casually racist joke, and using the title of the song as a defense misses the entire point. Again, I'm not offended and I don't think Paltrow was being hateful, but she was being stupid.

kame, do you believe the song title is "autobiographical" in nature? I.e. are kanye and jay-z the niggas in paris in the context of the song's title?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Who are you directing this at, exactly?

I saw a Jay-Z concert once and I was really really drunk and all of a sudden I knew all the words to all of his songs. I may have said the n word while rapping with hova. I don't think I'm racist.

Fantomex

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
What did was stupid... But it is the name of a song.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

I wish you would stop hating on light skinned people.. Sadly racism will continue..

I'm personally sick of people getting offended, over other people being offended, over other people being offended...

If she said something that pissed people off, so be it, it just is what it is. If she explains herself, those people should consider her explanation and they can move on from there. It would be nice if people could "ctrl, alt, del" emotions like a pc process but that's not how it works. I do not expect your average person to have some sort of Buddha like control over their thoughts...people have their sensibilities, and they react to stimuli. I believe that to some extent, groups as a whole have sensibilities as well. I'm okay with the almost idealist approach where everyone respects each others sensibilities and tries to be cordial ....but believe it or not, I'm also okay with "anything goes" and people not giving a fuck about each others sensibilities....this may even be preferable. Make your nigger jokes. Just don't bitch when I call you out for being a racist piece of trash.

I just wish that people would view these sorts of dust ups from a more cognitive or psychological perspective (Hell, even neurological/genetic perspective), instead of pretending that genuine feelings of anger, resentment, bitterness etc come from some sort of valve that individuals or groups of individuals can just turn on and off whenever they want. If a radio host makes a black people and chicken joke, maybe it's a fucking petty or non-important issue, but how fucking condescending is it to say "oh, well, you're just offended because you want to be"? And where is the line drawn? Blacks and chicken = cool, blacks and aesthetics = iffy, blacks and capability = off limits? People seem to treat these kinds of situations this way, but I don't think that's necessarily how the brain works, there isn't some scale of the mind, weighing different levels of "offensiveness"...people have their sensibilities. Some things are going to touch upon those sensibilities, some are not.

Half the time, there isn't even a true outrage, but people use said controversy anyways to vent their own bigoted opinions.

*Someone says something bigoted, or that can be interpreted as bigoted, or...something*
*Media reports about a so called outrage*
*Non-outraged people hear about outrage...and become outraged at the outrage*

It's just a big fucking game, with a lot of hypocrisy involved. If you call me a nigger and I call you a fucking racist, I'm accused of being "pc" or have to hear shit about how "you can't say anything anymore".... so now am I the one being "censored"? Am I the one whose thoughts and actions are being shit on? Because all I hear is people lauding others for "speaking their mind" and "going against the grain"....unless you're black, then you're just being "pc".

Calling someone out on their bigotry is the new politically incorrect as far as I can see, because when you do it, you better be ready to face a legion of jackasses who are seemingly both the most censored group in the world while simultaneously being the group voicing their (typically bigoted) opinions the loudest.

I'm not sure if you were being coy or not, but I'm actually starting to agree with this position. Like I said, let it just be anything goes. Have your WET, White Spirit Awards, White Beauty Pageants, Historically White College and University, and all of that shit as well. I'll take true marginalization over pretending to give a fuck about each other, any day of the week.

Is there an outrage? Are you outraged? What constitutes an outrage, angry twitters?

It seems that there are people that don't like rap or who may have never heard "niggas in paris", and certainly there are people who don't know her relationship to fucking Jay-Z and Kanye West. It's possible that some of these people read her tweet as "Woah, there's a buncha niggas in France"...going to have to ask white people if this message would be worthy of anger though, if I read the tweet that way I might be but it's possible that I would just be "upset for upsets sake".

This is horse shit. Black people have just as much a right to invest their feelings in bullshit celebrity culture as everyone else. I see this thought a lot and it's very frustrating for a number of reasons. The most basic reply would be to say that people can do more than one thing at a time, people fucking around with twitter garbage doesn't mean that they don't care about serious issues.

Also, since we live on a terrible planet, you could say this shit about anything. "Why are Black Americans worried about Don Imus when their illiteracy rates are higher than average"? "Why are Black Americans worried about illiteracy rates when there are people in Africa starving"? "Why are Africans complaining about starvation when the entire planets Eco-system may be deteriorating"? "Why are people worried about the Eco-system when....." etc etc etc. I hate this crap. Once again, you make it seem like we have biological task manager, "don't get angry when you're called a nigger in public because you know you blacks have high crime rates!" Fuck that, I'm trying to make my situation better, in all ways, at all times, big or small.

As I was saying in my other post...people have their sensibilities, you can't always know what's going to hit them, humans as a whole don't seem to focus as much attention on the large scale issues affecting our species, let's not pretend that black folks are somehow exempt from this. There are drinking water issues everywhere, I don't know if this is going to affect how I feel about black representation in movies though.

When does an outrage satisfy your scale of "worthiness?" Was Trayvon Martin worthy of outrage? Jena 6? I was bitching to my brother about how much of a coon Cole is in Gears of War, I don't feel like I'm being hypocritical however, because I still recognize important social problems (Both black exclusive and other).

Your idea also assumes that every black person is or should be affected by those issues. If you're a middle class Black American, or just a working/poor Black American in a non-urban area...you might not be affected in any way by fucking smash and grabs in the inner city. Maybe for that person, their material life is okay, they just want to feel less marginalized, and symbolic/representational issues are highly important. Obviously Paltrow wasn't being bigoted here, but assume that she was? It's not worthy of any reaction because of drop out rates?

I'm not sure if you were being coy or not, but I'm actually starting to agree with this position. Like I said, let it just be anything goes. Have your WET, White Spirit Awards, White Beauty Pageants, Historically White College and University, and all of that shit as well. I'll take true marginalization over pretending to give a fuck about each other, any day of the week.

Is there an outrage? Are you outraged? What constitutes an outrage, angry twitters?

It seems that there are people that don't like rap or who may have never heard "niggas in paris", and certainly there are people who don't know her relationship to fucking Jay-Z and Kanye West. It's possible that some of these people read her tweet as "Woah, there's a buncha niggas in France"...going to have to ask white people if this message would be worthy of anger though, if I read the tweet that way I might be but it's possible that I would just be "upset for upsets sake".

This is horse shit. Black people have just as much a right to invest their feelings in bullshit celebrity culture as everyone else. I see this thought a lot and it's very frustrating for a number of reasons. The most basic reply would be to say that people can do more than one thing at a time, people fucking around with twitter garbage doesn't mean that they don't care about serious issues.

Also, since we live on a terrible planet, you could say this shit about anything. "Why are Black Americans worried about Don Imus when their illiteracy rates are higher than average"? "Why are Black Americans worried about illiteracy rates when there are people in Africa starving"? "Why are Africans complaining about starvation when the entire planets Eco-system may be deteriorating"? "Why are people worried about the Eco-system when....." etc etc etc. I hate this crap. Once again, you make it seem like we have biological task manager, "don't get angry when you're called a nigger in public because you know you blacks have high crime rates!" Fuck that, I'm trying to make my situation better, in all ways, at all times, big or small.

As I was saying in my other post...people have their sensibilities, you can't always know what's going to hit them, humans as a whole don't seem to focus as much attention on the large scale issues affecting our species, let's not pretend that black folks are somehow exempt from this. There are drinking water issues everywhere, I don't know if this is going to affect how I feel about black representation in movies though.

When does an outrage satisfy your scale of "worthiness?" Was Trayvon Martin worthy of outrage? Jena 6? I was bitching to my brother about how much of a coon Cole is in Gears of War, I don't feel like I'm being hypocritical however, because I still recognize important social problems (Both black exclusive and other).

Your idea also assumes that every black person is or should be affected by those issues. If you're a middle class Black American, or just a working/poor Black American in a non-urban area...you might not be affected in any way by fucking smash and grabs in the inner city. Maybe for that person, their material life is okay, they just want to feel less marginalized, and symbolic/representational issues are highly important. Obviously Paltrow wasn't being bigoted here, but assume that she was? It's not worthy of any reaction because of drop out rates?
I can get with this more than I can get with this "you niggas" and "you people" shit PD was throwing around...smh.
I aint even mad though, Gwyneth Paltrow is my queen.

FStop7

Banned
Sorry, but the "rules" are off when you use a word like nigga in the title of a major song on a major release album. I'm not going to be fenced in from speaking complete sentences because Jay-Z and Kanye made the decision to call the track Niggas in Paris. If you have a problem with that then you should take it up with them. They're the ones who named it.

I wasn't offended when I heard this story, but I am a bit surprised that people are denying the casual racism in the comment. Paltrow's 'clever' joke is essentially, "I'm standing next to some niggers in Paris and one of those niggers wrote a song called 'niggers in Paris', get it?" It's a stupid, casually racist joke, and using the title of the song as a defense misses the entire point. Again, I'm not offended and I don't think Paltrow was being hateful, but she was being stupid.

Unless you are a mind reader, or have personal incite in to the psyche of Gwneth Paltrow, I am unable to see how anyone could jump to this conclusion. What makes you think it was a joke? The creators of Niggas in Paris were preforming Niggas in Paris.... in Paris. She wrote "Niggas in paris for real". How can that be construed as a casually racist joke?

Hieberrr

Hahahahaha

Threi

notag

0ehgY.jpg

also light skinned brothas went out of style over a decade ago. give it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom