• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like I cant uninstall BF3 Russian edition now I own the International version (uses same folder), so got to "update" aka download full game for Int version.
Hope doesn't cause issues.

wilflare

i woke up at 2.48am.. when chesskid posted his madness..
fell asleep. the next time i woke was 5.30am
and everything was over XDDD

EDIT: good time to drop on Tropic now? it's like on sale so often. 75% or 80% incoming?

Derrick01 said:
I don't know I guess it's because I hate Origin but I don't see the point anymore. Even if it gets put up on Steam it will most likely require Origin. I'm boycotting the game because of that and battlelog so putting it on Steam doesn't change much for me :(

There is already a retail version of BF3 with Origin cracked out on torrent sites, someone posted about it on Reddit the other day. Apparently the client does nothing but DRM and queue downloads, contrary to what EA have been saying about it, since with the Origin removed version you can apparently play on retail servers without any trouble.

Hearsay, not condoning the behaviour etc, but it would certainly suggest that the only thing standing between BF3 and Steam is politics.

Nymerio

Wow, Sanctum is a lot better than I thought it is... I got that with some indie tower defense bundle and never got a round to playing it, but now I saw it as weekend deal and decided to give it a try. Really awesome, and quite a lot harder than I anticipated... I mean, some mistakes can easily cost you the round. I love that the rounds are quite long, the arc took me almost 1.5 hours to complete oO

Derrick01

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
There is already a retail version of BF3 with Origin cracked out on torrent sites, someone posted about it on Reddit the other day. Apparently the client does nothing but DRM and queue downloads, contrary to what EA have been saying about it, since with the Origin removed version you can apparently play on retail servers without any trouble.

Hearsay, not condoning the behaviour etc, but it would certainly suggest that the only thing standing between BF3 and Steam is politics.

That's good but there's still Battlelog to deal with and from what I understand that can't be cracked since it's the actual server browser. I don't want to run that garbage in my browser and install special EA plugins for it to work. Call me paranoid but EA is the last company on Earth I trust.

Derrick01 said:
That's good but there's still Battlelog to deal with and from what I understand that can't be cracked since it's the actual server browser. I don't want to run that garbage in my browser and install special EA plugins for it to work. Call me paranoid but EA is the last company on Earth I trust.

Ah yeah, that I can understand completely. As far as I'm concerned, I do all of my banking including managing my mortgage with a browser, I check my email, I buy things online, and so on, so that's the last place I would want a company like EA getting a foothold on my PC. Even putting aside the fact that I don't trust them as a company, I also don't trust them to not leave gaping security holes in the application on my PC which is most likely to lead to identity theft or financial ruin.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Derrick01 said:

How can you not trust a company whose requisite software rifles through your tax return data?

Blizzard

Banned
JaseC said:
How can you not trust a company whose requisite software rifles through your tax return data?
People have already discussed that it scans ProgramData (which is an unusual place to store program executables themselves) presumably to look for games. It also doesn't read the files, if you look at what operations it's doing, just the filenames. It's also presumably a one-time scan to search for games to add to the client, like Steam does.

Sober

What the ...

so Arkham City got delayed another week to the 22nd of November?

I need to find a magazine rack to flip over.

JaseC

Chesskid1 said:
AC:R

http://www.impulsedriven.com/acrev

all the bonuses we get if it stays. not to mention, it comes out in only 10 days, so let the countdown begin. i honestly didn't think it wasn't coming out to 2012, no one is talking about it at all on here, or anywhere really i've noticed, greatest month.

The PC version was pushed back a couple of weeks to the end of the month (US)/beginning of December (PAL Land).

Turfster

Sober said:
What the ...

... you mean the 25th of november. (over here in Europe)
THIS BETTER NOT BE ANOTHER RENEGADE OPS GATE.

JaseC

Blizzard said:
People have already discussed that it scans ProgramData (which is an unusual place to store program executables themselves) presumably to look for games. It also doesn't read the files, if you look at what operations it's doing, just the filenames. It's also presumably a one-time scan to search for games to add to the client, like Steam does.

That's a lot of presumptions. I'm certain that Origin has been tasked with discovering the location where I buried the bodies.

Sober

Turfster said:
... you mean the 25th of november. (over here in Europe)
THIS BETTER NOT BE ANOTHER RENEGADE OPS GATE.
Check the Steam page for it. Dunno, some are saying Europe is still getting it on the 18th.

Guess that backlog of mine is finally gonna come in handy!
now the only reason I'll want to play Skyrim and AC:R is because I have nothing else while waiting to play Batman

Sober

nexen said:
Renegade Ops was worth the wait though. All was forgiven when that game's magic sunk in.
I guess the same will happen with Batman. I suppose RS/WBIE figured out they were putting the PC version up against Skyrim of all things and decided to wait an extra week I guess?

Detox

Well let's talk about Steam, I'm probably 7 years too late on this one...
DQiTyl.jpg

EikXYl.jpg

RRxVQl.jpg

Wichu

HP_Wuvcraft said:
.... that makes no sense whatsoever. There honestly has to be a good justification for that. Or what is this I don't even.
Apparently it's so Origin can find any Origin-enabled games you already have on your hard drive. I don't have anything interesting stored on my PC, so it doesn't bother me...

Kerrby

Banned
Am I the only one thinking Saints Row The Third is more of a console game?

I see a cheap steam key on GMG for $34 but I think it's more tempting to pay $100 for it and play with friends infront of a TV.

nexen

Sober said:
I guess the same will happen with Batman. I suppose RS/WBIE figured out they were putting the PC version up against Skyrim of all things and decided to wait an extra week I guess?
Finishing with Skyrim in a week? Madness!
Publishers should clear out three months at least.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Kerrby said:

I see a cheap steam key on GMG for $34 but I think it's more tempting to pay $100 for it and play with friends infront of a TV.

Especially considering how shit SR2 ran on PC.

Ark

Well I got AC:R from the exploit, missed out on BF3 though, said there were no codes and told me to check back later.

Blizzard

Banned
Sober said:
What the ...

*checks* ...is it really to discourage piracy for another week, or to get more console sales for another week, or are they working on PC issues? :X

Sportbilly said:

Wow, I just remembered something else.

One of the bosses in Blood 2 is named after Gabe Newell. He's only ever referred to as "Gabriel", but at one point you find a newspaper clipping which is about a presentation he's giving at the CabalCo headquarters which is described as "Gabriel's dissertation on a valve's odious half-life".

JaseC

I rather enjoyed Blood 2 back in the day, even though it's hardly a sequel to Blood. I had to laugh when I looked the game up on Wikipedia and noticed it was released on the very same day as Half-Life. 1998's own Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption!

Heh, I need to play the game again. I remember enjoying it at the time, but I don't even know where it is after two house moves. Time to pay a visit to GOG, I guess.

The biggest problems with Blood 2 are technical honestly. At its core it's an old-style FPS in what was, for the time, a unique setting; corporate America. It still has nearly all the carnage because the Napalm Launcher returns with an old friend called Guns Akimbo, and the general enemy and weapon variety is pretty incredible.

Of course it's hard to see the great enemy variety when the AI is glitching out every single encounter, and it's hard to appreciate the destruction when the physics system didn't work to the extent that all debris usually ended up floating in mid-air. And the less said about the fact that removing Bone Leeches worked even less effectively than removing Spirit Hands in the original game the better.

Hanzou

Question. I'm not at hOme so I can't test this. I ot a key from ign. Now I know I can plug that into impulse but can I put that key into origin or do I get a different key from impulse that I use?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kerrby said:

Why not show-off the version that looks the best?

pcmasterracero4v.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom