• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Just write the names down in case one of these guys appears in second hand sales thread saying how it is destroying the industry or something.
Companies could go out of business over this, guys! :p

Yeah, I went out and fucking missed me some free games...

Chesskid1

Banned
phew, finally calming down

that was pretty fun :eek:

hope you guys were able to redeem it fine and they won't be revoked from your account. was pretty crazy for a while with people messaging me.

i was able to get 3 BF3 codes and about 8 revelations and gave them all away, except 1 each for myself of course. dirt 3, and now this.

good times. time to google and see how fast it spread, heh.

Silex said:
Check it in this link:
https://impulsestore.gamestop.com/myaccount/orders

It appears there for me.

When I check that link, all I see is my old Sins of a Solar Empire order from ages ago. Oh well, I wasn't all that pumped for AC:R, I guess...

Also, if this is "stealing" from anyone, it's from IGN--they're the ones who would've payed for the codes. They almost single-handedly ruined gaming journalism with their mass-market BS, so fuck 'em.

Alextended said:
Is there any indication in your account that ACR is added? Maybe it worked for me too and I just didn't realise? But the game didn't get added so I went to manual registration and ACR wasn't even on the game list so I couldn't do that, only the other AC games were, while going to "Explore" and going to the ACR preorder page it said it's available in NA only or whatever with red letters, like tons of other games on there.
Open the client. Then go to View Cart -> Login -> Login here with your account info (yes, you already did when starting the application, but whatever) -> My Account -> View Past Orders.

Game shows up there for me as a pre-order.

snoopeasystreet said:
Did Ubisoft delay Revelations yet?
Yes. December 1st for PC.

Chesskid1 said:
phew, finally calming down

that was pretty fun :eek:

hope you guys were able to redeem it fine and they won't be revoked from your account. was pretty crazy for a while with people messaging me.

i was able to get 3 BF3 codes and about 8 revelations and gave them all away, except 1 each for myself of course. dirt 3, and now this.

good times. time to google and see how fast it spread, heh.
bravo. thanks for giving us the heads up and for your generosity.

Chronoja said:
Calm down, I'm really not trying to be inflammitory in any way. I won't lie though I am intrigued by the reaction to my comment.

I just don't see how it isn't theft however

It was a glitch in the system that allowed people to aquire games without paying the money required to obtain them legitamitely. And since you have your official copy of the game you won't be expected to pay the money for it in the future.

If someone shoplifts from a store because the security cameras are offline doesn't disguise the fact that it's theft. Aquiring items without consent or proper payment is....theft no?

On the flipside, having EA and Ubisoft stolen from, I couldn't think of better companies to steal from, but I still don't full agree with it.

- The strong reaction is because you just accused an entire thread of being thieves. If I said "people who don't grab a free key are the equivalent of people who have sex with pigs" you'd probably be upset too.
- The keys are given to IGN by the publisher as part of a promotion, they've already taken a "loss" on them.
- Theft is the deprivation of a physical item. You could argue that taking a key is depriving another user of it, however that would imply that each user has a corresponding key with their name on it so to speak.

Tomodachi

jim-jam bongs said:
- The strong reaction is because you just accused an entire thread of being thieves. If I said "people who don't grab a free key are the equivalent of people who have sex with pigs" you'd probably be upset too.
- The keys are given to IGN by the publisher as part of a promotion, they've already taken a "loss" on them.
- Theft is the deprivation of a physical item. You could argue that taking a key is depriving another user of it, however that would imply that each user has a corresponding key with their name on it so to speak.
You're basically saying piracy is not theft with that last point. I can't say I agree, the definition of theft is not that narrow.
Definitely agree with the other two, though, the publisher most probably got already paid for those keys.

Chesskid1

Banned
here is the stuff we were exploiting:

bf3-overlay.jpg

acr-overlay.jpg

Two Years: $79.95

obv you are only supposed to get one of em

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Syphon Filter said:
which day of defeat should i get? source or the original?

Hmm, I would say Source just to be on the safe side. OG DoD doesn't exactly have an enormous amount of people playing these days, unfortunately.

Wichu

Chesskid1 said:

And you only got one game if you paid $79.95, too (as far as I can tell). We didn't get the Prime account itself, though, so you can't really say the gifts were worth $160 combined...

coopolon

Chesskid1 said:

Not a bad deal, $100 worth of games.

Wichu said:
And you only got one game if you paid $79.95, too (as far as I can tell). We didn't get the Prime account itself, though, so you can't really say the gifts were worth $160 combined...

Oh, nevermind.

Chronoja

jim-jam bongs said:

Thank you. I was waiting for someone to give me a reasoned response on the matter instead of a mere angry comment.

I suppose I can agree on the point of the keys already being a "loss" on the publishers behalf. Noone outside the limits of the promotion is getting a key they don't justifiably deserve, so I guess that covers it, as noone who took advantage of the glitch was obtaining a key that wasn't accounted for....if that makes sense.

So that is that.

Tomodachi said:
You're basically saying piracy is not theft with that last point. I can't say I agree, the definition of theft is not that narrow.

Um, piracy isn't theft, otherwise people caught pirating would be prosecuted for theft and not copyright infringement.

Gvaz

Banned
Sportbilly said:
Um, piracy isn't theft, otherwise people caught pirating would be prosecuted for theft and not copyright infringement.
I think everyone knows this so please save this argument for elsewhere please.

Echoplx

Chronoja said:
Thank you. I was waiting for someone to give me a reasoned response on the matter instead of a mere angry comment.

You came into this thread accusing us of being thieves and pirates and now you try and make us seem like the unreasonable people? Fucking underlings.

Derrick01

Banned
My anger that I missed out on a chance to get ACR for free, a game I actually really want, is offset by the fact that it's not a Steam copy. That's the only thing keeping me calm right now.

Regardless I need to stop taking naps in the middle of the day. I always miss something good when I do.

wilflare

not the sweetest feeling waking up and seeing you missed the madness :D

but sweetness still happens :D
thanks Marsi for the copy of Fortix 2 :D:D

Chronoja

3chopl0x said:
You came into this thread accusing us of being thieves and pirates and now you try and make us seem like the unreasonable people? Fucking juniors.

Lol, the junior arguement. Well played sir, it seems you have struck my weak spot for massive damage! (nice edit by the way)

You're reply was, and still is, one of hostility, wheras I hoped someone would refute my accusation with good reason, which evidently has happened. I agree this is not a case of piracy and/or theft.

I apologise if I have offended you in any way, not the intention at all, but surely you can see the reasoning / confusion behind it.

The line between this situation being theft / piracy and not is, in my opinion, very very fine and ultimately comes down to the fact that these were sanctioned keys for use by IGN to distribute as they saw fit. Had this happened on say, Amazon, where anyone was given access to games without paying via a glitch, then things would be different.

Card Boy

Banned
Chronoja said:
Lol, the junior arguement. Well played sir, it seems you have stuck my weak spot for massive damage!

I noticed your account is older than 3chopl0x's, i guess that makes him the junior! lol

liezryou

I don't know what happened but all i have to say is that I WAS going to subscribe for 2 years to IGN Prime (80$ for mass free games? worth it). However, because there are so many spammers of free trials i literally did not get a single free game besides sanctum DLC, i have decided against it. What's the point of subscribing when free trials can steal the same limited games from right under your nose.

Scythian

Damn it, last time I go out on a Saturday. Seriously, something amazing happens and I casually decided to go shopping, fml.
;P

Anyone need one of these "Heroes of Newerth Goblin Coin Redemption Code" things? I have no idea what it is even used for so I'll just give it away to whoever uses it firsts.

(Quote to Reveal)

Heroes of Newerth Goblin Coin Redemption Code

Quote this message and reply if you use it so I can edit it out when its used up.

EDIT: IT'S NOW BEEN USED.

Derrick01

Banned
MRORANGE said:
I must be the only guy who WANTS BF3 on steam so he can buy it all full price, day one.

I don't know I guess it's because I hate Origin but I don't see the point anymore. Even if it gets put up on Steam it will most likely require Origin. I'm boycotting the game because of that and battlelog so putting it on Steam doesn't change much for me :(

Go out on a Saturday night for the first time in ages. Miss free BF3 and AC:R.

tumblr_lbbjwhcZJe1qe6sloo1_500.jpg

(Ignore the first part)

I can pay with Humble Bundle keys to whoever gives me an AC:R redeem code!
Joking. Sort of. I'm desperate :(

PhoenixDawn said:
Anyone need one of these "Heroes of Newerth Goblin Coin Redemption Code" things? I have no idea what it is even used for so I'll just give it away to whoever uses it firsts.

(Quote to Reveal)

Heroes of Newerth Goblin Coin Redemption Code

Quote this message and reply if you use it so I can edit it out when its used up.
I'll take some goblin coins...

EDIT: It worked! Thanks

Mexx

Neo Member
Help! Just saw thread, what's going on with this free ACR? If someone have key, PM me! ;) Or just describe this promo.

moojito

Calm down people, both those games will be on a steam sale before you know it, and you can get busy not playing them knowing they're right there in your library where they belong.

Speaking of which, just got tropico 3! I intend to play it to completion
the next time Scotland qualify for a major football tournament

moojito said:
Calm down people, both those games will be on a steam sale before you know it, and you can get busy not playing them knowing they're right there in your library where they belong.

Speaking of which, just got tropico 3! I intend to play it to completion
the next time Scotland qualify for a major football tournament
Not Battlefield 3, which is why most people are disappointed at missing it.

Chronoja

MRORANGE said:
I must be the only guy who WANTS BF3 on steam so he can buy it all full price, day one.

See I think this is where EA are missing out on a golden opportunity in that I'd probably pay *more* money to have a Steam version, within reason of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom