• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft Remastered confirmed [Summer 2017]. Original SC/BW to be free!

Nasbin

I was so apprehensive about this but they actually did everything I wanted without fucking it up. Matchmaking, LAN, same gameplay and pathfinding quirks ... Incredible. I have to give Blizzard credit for clearly listening to the community on this.

Can't wait till the nostalgia waves to crash against the brutal reality that is relearning how to play the game with it's archaic systems after every modern advancement in the last 20 years.

I've played the original StarCraft campaign within the last five years and I had a jolly old time.

Sijil

Can't wait till the nostalgia waves to crash against the brutal reality that is relearning how to play the game with it's archaic systems after every modern advancement in the last 20 years.

Been playing BW on and off since 1998 so no problems here.

Blizzard

Banned
This pleases me.

I did hate some of the original game's pathfinding when like 1 out of 8 units will suddenly break from the pack and take off for the other side of the map at top speed, but the rest sounds good. :p

Automatic matchmaking will mitigate this somewhat as you will be playing against people who are struggling equally against the same difficulties. But yes, this is the reason I'm not worried about people deserting SC2 en masse, as a lot of players will ultimately prefer to stick with its conveniences. Many of them, I expect, will revisit the campaign, get a rock-bottom ladder rank, fool around in Big Game Hunters a bit, then leave (or proceed straight to Sunken TD).

Honestly, though, the inconvenience of certain systems and interface elements is balanced out by familiarity with BW among players who never migrated to SC2 (or may not have played a computer game since). I've had BW LAN parties in recent years with the unlikeliest people, some of whom I didn't even know played PC games of any sort. They won't especially see the lack of worker auto-mining or multiple building selection as anything wrong.

I was so apprehensive about this but they actually did everything I wanted without fucking it up. Matchmaking, LAN, same gameplay and pathfinding quirks ... Incredible. I have to give Blizzard credit for clearly listening to the community on this.

Me too. From everything we've been told, they nailed this.

DieH@rd

Banned
They did the right thing. Gameplay is retained, and only big change is the view size between 4:3 and widescreen modes [which is a issue that had to exist].

When will legacy SC+BW become free?
edit - found it, at the moment 1.18a comes out.

Nokterian

LAN is one of those things that has gone missing in lots and lots of games. LAN is to me important to esport gaming when internet is out..what will happen then? We seen it many many times, during a match or even before a match internet blows out.

Yeah very awesome seeing this from them, this was really needed.

_Aaron_

Diablo + Diablo II next please!

Never played Starcraft but I'll definitely give the original a try if they're going free.

Diablo + Diablo II next please!

Never played Starcraft but I'll definitely give the original a try if they're going free.

While I imagine this has been in the works for a while, the reception to the Diablo 20th anniversary probably helped them know what fans want. If people at Blizz want to do it, I'd assume Diablo will get the treatment in a year or two.

Won

Looks okish as far as HD remasters go. These things are never going to nail the original feel. Advertising LAN of course got a good chuckle out of me.

I'm gonna admit, after the whole Diablo anniversary thing I'm surprised that this is actually happening. And being super cynical and all that I just assume it is happening because Starcraft as a property is otherwise dead within Blizzard.

So I'm not gonna get my hopes up for more stuff like this. Especially not Diablo.

Bittercup

Was excited until:
Revised Dialogue and Audio (The original soundtrack and dialogue, re-recorded and rejuvenated).
I hope they don't change Kerrigan. She's perfect in SC1/BW. Or at least add an option to play with the old voices.
Besides that I'm happy with the announcement.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Unbelievable

Rumors about remasters and HD updates for Blizzards big 3 (Diablo II, Brood War, Frozen Throne) have been coming from credible sources for years. I'm sure they have all been deeply discussed internally at least.

I don't see Diablo II and WC3 not getting the same treatment eventually.

Sijil

Warcraft 2 and Diablo 2 getting the same HD treatement is great and easy for Blizzard considering its 2d sprite nature. Warcraft 3 being 3D on the other hand would need a lot more than just uprezing the textures, high resolution textures on low poly models would look ugly IMO, Warcraft 3 needs a remake in SC2 engine not just a remaster.

Warcraft 2 and Diablo 2 getting the same HD treatement is great and easy for Blizzard considering its 2d sprite nature. Warcraft 3 being 3D on the other hand would need a lot more than just uprezing the textures, high resolution textures on low poly models would look ugly IMO, Warcraft 3 needs a remake in SC2 engine not just a remaster.

They already upgraded the majority of unit models and assets of WC3 and ported them into SC2 for custom maps like two years ago.

Wow. They actually delivered. Giving away the current battle chest is also pretty cool of them. As an aside, that's one thing I really liked and rarely seen mentioned, that they let you convert your physical copies of SC, D2 and W3 to digital downloads.

I guess the only thing I'm a bit torn about is the FMVs. In an ideal world, they'd have rerendered them at 4K. Their encoding was already ugly 20 years ago though.

dawid

BW remastered is cool but a wierd thing thats gonna come and go fast. If you're a BW-fan you can already play the original game just fine, and if not you're gonna wanna play SC2 instead.

Merrydeath

I been waiting for this announcement for a long time. Time to relive my childhood.
I wonder if the Warcraft series will get a remastered as well?

Skunkers

Since WC1/WC2 aren't beholden to a strong competitive scene and living community, they are games that really could do with a UI/QoL rework that introduces modern conveniences in a cleaner package, easier to play and control. WC3/TFT holds up just fine (and is all 3D rendered anyway, theoretically scalable to any resolution) but lacks widescreen support.

I'm gonna be stoked as FUCK for a D2 remaster, but I will admit D2 would be prime for a few small QoL upgrades too; most notably, auto-gold-pickup, which every modern game in the genre has seemingly adopted. I would sort of question the stamina bar in this day and age too, though that one would actually have gameplay/potential PvP balance ramifications, so probably less likely.

SC1 is cool and all, but I'm actually more hyped to see what they do with Diablo and Warcraft.

RuhRo

On a personal level, can't help but be disappointed in this. I've never been able to get into StarCraft since it's so dated. I'd hoped this would be a modern re-working of the concept a la REMake, building on the foundations of the original but modernizing it for newcomers. Instead they've very clearly targeted this at the existing esports devotees. Which is great, that's a nice bone to throw a devoted fanbase and keep them hooked for a few more years. But it does nothing for people like me looking to get into the series for the first time.

I hope if they remaster Diablo 2 (a childhood favorite of mine) they take some risks and give it a complete overhaul - given that it doesn't have the same slavishly devoted Korean esports scene, maybe they'll feel they can take a little more liberty. Not counting on it though, since they seem to have decided on this minimalist remastering approach across all the franchises.

Bluth54

I wonder if this opens the door for Blizzard to create a new expansion for the original Starcraft.

Age of Empires 2 HD has done well enough to get 3 expansions on Steam, I'm sure that's exactly what Blizzard is planning on doing.

Chumley

Banned
Age of Empires 2 HD has done well enough to get 3 expansions on Steam, I'm sure that's exactly what Blizzard is planning on doing.

Age of Empires 2 HD still has a totally fucked UI for anything higher than 1080p displays. Completely unreadable.

moerser

sorry if this has already been answered, i havent seen anything in the trailer. is brood war included in the remastered edition?

Pooya

looks about what anyone expected. It's good.

but... rerecording voice lines?! If they are inserting Tricia Helfer in this we have a problem. Just let it be...

Top Bottom