• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will every PS5 and Nextbox game also have to function with PS4 Pro and XBOX?

Betty

Banned
Spoken like a console-only gamer? While consoles still endure existence, they aren't going to be doing any more resets.

Based on what?

Switch reset so that it can't play Wii U or Wii games or even 3DS games.

PS4 can't play PS3 or earlier

Only Xbox has backwards compatibility.

We will get a PS5, Nextbox, Switch 2 etc and while it's nice to hope they'll all have BC functionality the truth is they might not and they will be considered full next generation machines compared to their predecessors.

Generations are still a thing until actual physical proof manifests to say otherwise.

You all believed the Scorpio was going to be a bridging console between this gen and the next and look how that turned out.

As a Pro owner, I sure hope not. These weak ass CPUs are no doubt already limiting developers ambitions.

I don't even care too much about increased visual fidelity, I want an increased focus on AI and related systems which I think can have large dependence on CPU (correct me if I'm wrong).

Of course if it makes sense with not super intensive games a PS4 and PS5 release is a good idea... I just don't want old consoles holding us back.

Paz

If PS5 games have to work on a PS4 Pro (Or same deal with XBox One point One having to work on XBox One X) then there's actually no point to consoles anymore imo.

So I'd say no.

Man, I surely hope not.

I'm already pissed at those tflops in the XBOXOX being basically only good for running​ the same games as Xbox one in 4k.

Lol I hadn't seen the name abbreviated like that before. I might start calling it the OX, like the animal. I like that.

FStubbs

There will be a generational cutoff with PS5/XB2. The CPUs in the current gen boxes are so old that I can't see either manufacturer demand devs to spec for those in 2020 and beyond.

I think devs will have the option. So maybe next gen GTA targets PS5 only, next gen Final Fantasy hits PS5 and PS4 Pro, and next gen Atelier will target down to PS4.

Matt

I think devs will have the option. So maybe next gen GTA targets PS5 only, next gen Final Fantasy hits PS5 and PS4 Pro, and next gen Atelier will target down to PS4.
This would create an incredibly confusing situation for consumers.

12Dannu123

It makes more sense to have it as

when the Xbox Next is released. Xbox One OG/S is EOL, meaning no first party games will be running on it in the future, third parties have an option.

Xbox One X becomes the low end SKU

Xbox Next becomes the high end SKU like how Xbox One X is the high end of Xbox One S

So there could be a new console every 3-4 years.

Microsoft has the technical engineering to pull this off. However Sony is a different story has their decisions on how PS4 Architecture and APIs are made will affect their decisions of BC going forward.

Shin

Banned
A problem that I see is BDXL, price of a single disc is $10 (100Gb), compared to $1 for a BD (25Gb), a 50Gb BD disc costs about the same as a BDXL disc it seems.
So 2 things might happen, we'll use multiple 25Gb discs where necessary or we're jumping to BDXL and that most likely means +$10 price raise on games (finally, since it has been stagnant for years).
Sony makes/sells their own BD/BDXL discs so there's that, even 1080p games on XB1 are hitting 110Gb plus so the need to move to larger capacity might be become a must.

#retail prices

jdstorm

Banned
A problem that I see is BDXL, price of a single disc is $10 (100Gb), compared to $1 for a BD (25Gb), a 50Gb BD disc costs about the same as a BDXL disc it seems.
So 2 things might happen, we'll use multiple 25Gb discs where necessary or we're jumping to BDXL and that most likely means +$10 price raise on games (finally, since it has been stagnant for years).
Sony makes/sells their own BD/BDXL discs so there's that, even 1080p games on XB1 are hitting 110Gb plus so the need to move to larger capacity might be become a must.

#retail prices

At that point why not just use Carts? They are more durable and have much faster load times.

deadlast

isn't the architecture different between the XB1X and the XB1?
I have a feeling that the XB1X will be able to play XB2 games.

Griss

If the new machines (XB1X and PS4 Pro) had contained 'halfway-to-next-gen' CPUs then I'd be expecting potential forwards compatibility with those mid-gen machines, but they don't, so I don't see any way this happens.

There can be no true next-gen games without the increase in AI and gameplay systems that new CPUs would bring. Maybe some games that don't need that extra power could do it? But I'd expect that it's easier to just make a clean break so devs don't have to even worry about it.

MOG728

I own an original PS4 and the fat Xbox One.

Am I basically either screwed until the PS5 and Xbox 2 come out? Do we think were on a 2 year cycle now or are the PS4 Pro and Xbox one X now going to have 5 year lifespans where I will always play the 2nd tier version of titles?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have a feeling that it will be up to the developer whether the game has a configuration that allows it to run on the previous iteration of the hardware. I don't believe that the next iterations of Xbox and PlayStation are going to be true generations like we've seen in the past. They'll just be higher spec of the same hardware with a new number slapped on by the marketing team to make people think it's an all new thing.

Gradly

Yea I expect that totally. Ever since the new gens announced with more PC like architecture I expected forward/backward compatibility is a given from now on cuz new gens will be kinda a bump is specs only with some cool features here and there ofc

Cranster

Banned
No, if anything with the next Xbox console I expect backwards compatibility to be supported. Outside of cross gen games (IE Destiny, CoD, Madden, ect) next generation will proceed like normal.

No. 100% no.

But the next Xbox 100% will play all BC 360, OG and Xbox One games.

Will PS5 play PS4 games? I doubt it.

While I know it somewhat a bit of a national sport to slag on Sony right now with some of their messaging of late..

But I can't imagine they would be so daft as to not have BC out-of-the-box for PS4 -> PS5, surly?

That would be up there with 'always on' from MS.

As long as they both still use x86 architecture, which seems likely, I don't see why they wouldn't be backwards compatible with PS4 and Xbox One games. It wouldn't just work automatically of course, but compared to making BC work on Xbone, it would probably be a lot easier. And I doubt either MS nor Sony with risk not having it from the get go, when there's a big chance their competitor might.

If you're talking about if PS5 games will work on PS4, the answer is no.

CuNi

I'd say it's 99% sure for MS because of their UWP approach. They propably will build next box to be UWP compatible and let voila, everything should be compatible.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt it. But I think we'll see even more cross gen games the first couple of years then we did the last go around.

DrXym

Consoles have fairly conventional CPU/GPU architectures these days so the reasons for not offering BC to the PS4/XB1 would mostly be non-technical. i.e Why let people play their existing collection when you can sell it to them all again "remastered" or via cloud play.

geordiemp

Consoles have fairly conventional CPU/GPU architectures these days so the reasons for not offering BC to the PS4/XB1 would mostly be non-technical. i.e Why let people play their existing collection when you can sell it to them all again "remastered" or via cloud play.

Because consumers may have 100 games in Sony's ecosystem. If there is no back compatibility then those customers can consider Microsoft as equally as Sony. MS would like nothing better to see Sony make Ps5 stand alone and try to get back consumers with Xb2,

If Ps5 runs ps4 games better, then Sony is more likely to keep those players, many who migrated from 360 to ps4 (and could easily go back if Sony is stupid).

I doubt Sony would be that stupid, they listened carefully for ps4 and BUT did not for ps3. Who knows ?

Sweep14

Having a PS5 not backward compatible with PS4 at launch would be a terrible mistake for Sony IMHO if using the same X86 architecture. The early adopters of new consoles are the gamers and they help determining the endeavour of the generation (good word of mouth, buying influence with their friends/family etc...) Imagine the backlash if MS nextbox is backward compatible and PS5 is not...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sleepy so maybe I misread the OP, but isn't this thread asking whether PS5/Xbox 2 games will all get PS4/X1 versions (or at least PS4 Pro/Xbox X versions)? That's forward compatibility not backward compatibility.

I'd guess full backwards compatibility is a given. Sony and MS moved to x486 architecture in part to make that possible and be competitive with PC which they see as a rising threat (see comments by Sony execs about part of the logic behind PS4 Pro being not losing enthusiasts to more powerful PCs mid gen), and near full BC is a big perk of PC gaming.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
While I know it somewhat a bit of a national sport to slag on Sony right now with some of their messaging of late..

But I can't imagine they would be so daft as to not have BC out-of-the-box for PS4 -> PS5, surly?

Who is slagging? All I said was is that I doubt the PS5 will have PS4 BC.

I hope I'm wrong because I've been buying some digital games that I don't want to be left stranded like my digital WiiU games are.

Sony will want to push Ps Now. That's why I'm not confident in BC.

alt27

Ps5 games should not work on PS4 . Hoping ps5 has BC for our current library , but no, I don't want old tech holding back new games .

Forward comparability people ?? Why? Wtf ?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, people still don't understand the technical reasons why PS4 can't fully emulate PS3 games? That's the most surprising thing in this thread.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I agree, and its enough to make me switch from heavy PS user to back to heavy XBox user.

Last gen not even knowing it I used my PS3 as mostly an exclusive machine. Over time I started liking the 360 controller more. That and putting in rechargeable batteries.

This gen learning more about tech and specs, etc the XBO became the exclusive machine.

I have no problem switching back next gen. I'm already on the verge of throwing out my 360 just because of BC on XBO.

Ps5 games should not work on PS4 . Hoping ps5 has BC for our current library , but no, I don't want old tech holding back new games .

Forward comparability people ?? Why? Wtf ?

The cut off point should be Pro and XBO X for cross gen games. That way IMO they really dont have to make slim versions of their next gen consoles. Just slim version of those 2. Well, Sony would seeing how the XBO X still has that sleek looking One S design.

That way IMO they really dont have to make slim versions of their next gen consoles. Just slim version of those 2

Thinking about it now, if they do that that would mean Pro and XBO were secretly next gen consoles and next gen would be the niche consoles. lol

Disregard making the slim console....but Pro and One X should be the cut off point for cross gen. That could help them fly off shelves if their prices go down.

It should be much easier to implement BC going forward, now consoles use PC like architecture, so PS5 might be able to play PS4 discs.

I just don't expect them to put much work into PS1, 2 or 3 emulation as they have already said they are not really interested in doing that but who knows, things change.

geordiemp

These consoles are x86 architecture now. Unless they create custom hardware in future generations, there SHOULD always be BC.

Fixed that for you, Sony would be handing MS a gift if no BC.

I want to keep my collection, if I cant Sony will drive me away as its not right.

They had a good excuse with the cell in ps3, but that is the only pass they will get.

Also I dont give a shit about PSnow and laggy remote play, it needs to die already.

Had the Pro been a big success (and i presume bone x will perform similarly in relation) then i could've seen it but as niche products i doubt it'll happen

tracca

Neo Member
I honestly dont think even Microsoft knows yet. They should have at least two different paths to go and the feedback from (mainly) publishers/developers when developing/selling for two different xboxes will decide.

Sony might have decided but i cant even guess other then it sounds stupid as hell to ditch what i would imagine to be kinda close to 100 million users when next console arrives.

This can only holds true if "next generation" just is another power leap, but i really think that will be the case. And I dont think this will be a "hard rule" if a developer cant bring their game to the old consoles they would be allowed to release the game on "next gen".

Apathy

Sony has no excuse for it not to instantly be able to play ps4 games the day it's released. Doing so would be detrimental and stupid since they've switched to an x86 architecture. But they have done some stupid things in the past so who knows.

#retail prices

Are you talking about BD-R prices, the ones you can burn on a PC? This is pretty much irrelevant for retail prices of games and movies, a BD 50 doesn't cost 10$ to press.

About BC, if Sony doesn't offer it from day 1 they'll hand a major win to MS on a silver platter and one they could've avoided easily as MS made it clear for some time now, that their next consoles will have BC.
With midgen upgrades, digital sales rising all the time and PS+/Xbox Gold etc. gamers are far more attached to one brand than ever before and they will expect to take their games with them to the next gen.
So Sony better not cheapen out or get greedy and cut BC, as this could do some serious damage to the PS brand, if their competition didn't offer BC either it'd be a non issue, but that isn't the case.

Macrotus

If it ends up having forward compatibility, thats nice.
But I hope they don't create a next-gen console with forward compatibility in mind, because that would hold the next-gen console back.
Just like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X having to use a weak CPU like Jaguar again for the sake of compatibility.

I think cross-gen game developing for a certain period of time is much more logical.
Because of the architecture of both the PS4 and XBO, it would definitely be much more easier to develop cross-gen games compared to PS4/PS3.
You don't have to deal with CELL anymore.

Edited: I would expect backwards compatibility though. I think its a must.

Forward compatibility would be easier if we had options on consoles similar as we have on PC. Then you could buy a PS5 game and play on PS4 at your own risk of having to reduce resolution, particle effects, AA, shadows, numbers of NPC and even deal with low fps despite all this. And some games wouldn't run at all.

But can casual console owners that did not mind jumping into next gen deal with all that?

Top Bottom