• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Watch_Dogs canceled? GS Italy says so; Ubisoft no comment; back on gamestop.it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't put much stock in this rumor based on the preorder cancellation, but now that Ubi has offered a, "No comment" ... This just isn't the sort of thing you say, "No comment," to unless it's true and you're not prepared to break the bad news.

No comment is never a good sign. Kinda surprising from Ubi.

As I said before:
"No comment" isn't always a bad thing.
It's a 50% chance at best that the game is cancelled for Wii U.
The Ubisoft guy who was asked wasn't at liberty to say.
Nintendo can't say anything about it because they're not Ubisoft.
That'S basically it.

That wouldn't make sense for Nintendo either. Watch Dogs isn't going to move Wii U's off the shelf and paying for any gap in the development of a likely to be further delayed port will not convince Ubisoft to put future AAA titles on the console.

Having one of the bigger AAA games skip your system also isnt good for N. Nothing will convince ubi to port future AAA titles at this moment, or any other publisher for that matter. If N wants to keep the U (relatively)alive, footing part of the dev costs for these games may just be the only resort they have left. Given, this is all based on if ubi has alreay put substantial dev work in already.

Those are not easy decisions as the platform holder. On the one hand if Nintendo can afford to open up their wallet and help Ubisoft bring the title out it will help their ever diminishing Wii U retail library. On the other hand as soon as they help one title Ubisoft as well as other publishers will smell blood and will want or expect the same treatment to other titles, something that Nintendo simply can't afford to do with every game.

Oh def true, there are no easy decisions for Nintendo at this point, rock and a hardplace scenario.

yeah thats what i was thinking. The only thing that could have made the Wii U version even remotely interesting is if they would have done some really really cool stuff with the pad, the potential was there, but doubt they spent too much time on it.
I thought they had talked about the Wii u version before and said that stuff like hacking would all be done with the gamepad.

Phazon

As I said before:
That'S basically it.

I asked Ubisoft Belgium today, but they haven't heard anything from HQ.

I'd also say to not take this as any confirmation at all. It could be cancelled, it could also just be alive and being kept 'secret' for a next Nintendo Direct or the right time for example. (it's just an example I'm giving)

I thought they had talked about the Wii u version before and said that stuff like hacking would all be done with the gamepad.

i remember something about that too, but talking about it could just be them "brainstorming" ideas. Although looking at some of the other games they've done (ZombiU, Splinter Cell), they are pretty good at using the pad.

TS-08

I'd also say to not take this as any confirmation at all. It could be cancelled, it could also just be alive and being kept 'secret' for a next Nintendo Direct or the right time for example. (it's just an example I'm giving)

How would it be a secret?

This REALLY doesnt mean much at all but my buddy was doing price changes at my work (Walmart in Canada) this morning and Watch Dogs is now in our system for all consoles, Wii U included.

Kouriozan

Bd4AbTwIAAAk_oZ.jpg

Watch_Dogs Wii U version cancelled....only in Italy :lol

RE_Player

Why do people say this as if third party support ever had any hope in recent memory???

If the game came out, it wouldn't sell and nothing would be any more positive.
It's not that Watch Dogs would be a game changer for the Wii U it's that if it is cancelled it's kind of kicking a horse while it's down.

As I said before:
The guy asked wasn't at liberty to say.
That'S basically it.

I fully believe the person at Nintendo wasn't at liberty to say or had no idea; that doesn't play into it. A person at Ubisoft wouldn't have said no comment if they just didn't know (They wouldn't have replied at all or would have waited for confirmation from someone if there was something positive to say), and this isn't some kind of rumor about a new game that just gets a, "We don't comment on rumors."

Someone knows, and if it's on for sure, they would have replied that of course it still is, because why wouldn't it be? A no comment from Ubi sounds to me like it's either in development limbo right now and cancellation is being decided upon, or they already have cancelled and are preparing for the right time. I highly doubt no comment was just a flippant, boilerplate reply in a situation like this. It would only serve to stir the rumors. It would be very poor PR.

Edit: I should add that I don't want this to be true. No, I won't be buying this game on my Wii U, but it sounded at least like they had the right idea for using the game pad in an effective way. It would be a shame for the system to lose the title.

marrec

Banned
Having one of the bigger AAA games skip your system also isnt good for N. Nothing will convince ubi to port future AAA titles at this moment, or any other publisher for that matter. If N wants to keep the U (relatively)alive, footing part of the dev costs for these games may just be the only resort they have left. Given, this is all based on if ubi has alreay put substantial dev work in already.

Unlessss.... there's no way to bring a stable and representative port to the Wii U given the time available.

We saw how poorly AC4 performed... Watch Dogs is likely substantially more resource intensive.

i really hope it isn't cancelled. i was really looking forward to play the game on my Wii U.

If the Wii U version is really cancelled i will wait for the WD to show up as free game on PS Plus.

I will be really really upset if the cancellation is true. i think i already did my part. I bought 6 Ubisoft games on my Wii U (7 if you count Cloudberry Kingdom, which was a digital realease) and a ton of Just Dance DLCs...

The only thing that seems to be cancelled is anything but the Standard Edition for Wii U.
I looked up the game on Amazon.de and for Wii U I can't order the Collector's Edition for example. Only the regular game.

I fully believe the person at Nintendo wasn't at liberty to say or had no idea; that doesn't play into it. A person at Ubisoft wouldn't have said no comment if they just didn't know (They wouldn't have replied at all or would have waited for confirmation from someone if there was something positive to say), and this isn't some kind of rumor about a new game that just gets a, "We don't comment on rumors."

I edited my post already to emphasize that by "guy" I meant "Ubisoft employee". He probably wasn't allowed to say anything about the game without permission to do so. That includes answering questions. Even if the answer is a simple Yes or No.

It's something that really bothers me, and it the same than before WiiU's launch :
it's really difficult to have a clear answer regarding third party software on WiiU.
Will it be there? When? DLC or no? Is it cancelled? It's never YES or NO, always, "maybe, we are not sure, we don't comment...".
The communication around the console is so amateurish.

Majmun

I just wonder how long the Wii U will survive without any 3rd party support.

The Wii didn't have great 3rd party support either, but the console sold quite well and the Nintendo games were a massive success.

But nothing is successful about the Wii U. No sales, no 3rd party support, Nintendo software not doing any wonders. The console is done.

Mr-Joker

Banned
As I said before:
That'S basically it.

This pretty much, the "No comment" statement isn't bad news but it isn't good news either.

Why would I buy this for the Wii U?, just give me ZombiU 2.

Zombi U bombed in sales and rightfully so.

Schnozberry

Sunk costs fallacy aside, wasn't this game done aside from polishing? Why cancel now? Unless the Wii U version was way behind, I don't see why you don't do a limited disc and digital release.

Zornack

How could a game announced two years ago be a secret?

Sunk costs fallacy aside, wasn't this game done aside from polishing? Why cancel now? Unless the Wii U version was way behind, I don't see why you don't do a limited disc and digital release.
but if they're maybe struggling with deadlines on the other platforms, dropping the wii u version to save time could be a quick win

Zombi U bombed in sales and rightfully so.

No, not rightfully so.
The game was awesome and I wished it hadn't bombed. Aside from one stupid game-breaking bug that has since been fixed the whole game was really good. A fresh take on the Survival Horror genre, with emphasis on the survival aspect.
I really want a ZombiU 2, but sadly it will probably never happen :(

Yes, that the Wii U version is cancelled.

mythbusters-face-slap-o.gif

Not nearly as much for game to be profitable, according to the Ubi boss.

the "costs" for this game though were inflated since it started on a different platform, as a different game, and was pretty much completely re-worked, and not by a AAA team. The game has "B" quality team written almost all over it, as much as i loved it.

Phazon

Who was doing the WiiU version of WD anyway?
Ubi Shanghai?

WD by Ubisoft Bucharest, the people who helped Montpellier out with developing ZombiU

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/watc..._wii_u_port_handled_by_ubisoft_bucharest.html

Splinter Cell Wii U -> Shanghai

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._the_wii_u_version_of_splinter_cell_blacklist

Black Flag Wii U -> Quebec Studio composed of about 15 people.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...place_in_the_franchise_and_returning_to_wii_u

Pociask

Cancelling this version is sadly the right move for Ubisoft. Every dollar spent on it, Ubisoft may as well be lighting on fire. It's not Ubisoft's job to light money on fire.

Now, if say, there were a platform holder that a gigantic warchest, and was desperate to have games on its console, maybe that platform holder should be doing everything possible to keep that game on the system (whether moneyhats, exclusive DLC, paying for half the marketing of the title, whatever). But Nintendo wouldn't even do that for GTAV. Heck, they hate to spend money to market their OWN titles. Chances they would do it for a new Ubisoft IP? Basically zero.

Azih

I guess Nintendo has nothing that Ubisoft wants aside from a platform for Just Dance but really it's still a rumour.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The game is back on gamestop.it site and with release date 28.02. That's funny. Maybe it's timed exclusive on Wii U. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom