• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare teasing next Mass Effect [Up4: Fourth Pic (1 LQ offscreen, 3 concept art)]

flGUdBp.png

coffee-sylvester-cat.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I agree with him completely on both characters and Cerberus. However, the end product doesn't come close to meeting its potential. What could be a little more subtle and sophisticated ends up becoming a bad cartoon. The Genophage plot did a solid job straddling the line. The Geth plot failed to succeed on the same level. The Cerberus plot just failed.

Yeah. I like TIM. I like Aria. And I like the concept of Cerberus. It's the execution that falls flat in Mass Effect 3. Cerberus, as an idea, regresses from game to game, media to media, as the lore gets more stupid and comical.

I think what frustrates me is that Cerberus is neither terrifyingly insidious nor morally grey. In Mass Effect 1 then being this low key super secret black ops gone rogue is pretty creepy. When you start discovering what they're doing you feel like you're knee deep in a dark mystery surrounding some really serious shit. Mass Effect 2 elevates them to a more composed organisation, introduces TIM, and tries to back track on the Mass Effect 1 stuff to make them morally grey. Cue Mass Effect 3 and there's absolutely nothing redeeming about them, turning the entire group into cartoonish villains.

Cerberus is just one of those things on my Mass Effect pile I want gone forever when moving into a new game with new ideas. When BioWare say they're done with everything associated with the Shepard trilogy, I consider Cerberus just that. Shepard's arc is over, and so is Cerberus. It's done. Kaput. No more, not ever. Let's not dabble in this shit again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Doesn't necessarily have to be BioWare.

spekkeh

Banned
Probably human, maybe Asari. ME costs EA too much money to go for something as comparatively alien as Turians. I actually kind of doubt that they'd want to wait too long with development, given that it was a last gen series, and with having to port over to the new engine, it may actually continue on the story more so than we'd like.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
great
instead of being creative EA has bioware working on an unnecessary sequel.
figures. thanks ea

Wahwah. :`(

As if EA is alone in this business making "sequels". And... first, this ME game is not even going to be sequel anyway. Second, you can be creative while using a known franchise. And, third, a lot of people want another ME game, and EA would be crazy to ignore that. Don't let all the whining about ME3 and the trilogy ending tell you otherwise.

Dany

Banned
Biowares worth to me is mass effect. I really havnt delved back to their older stuff and I never really touches dragon age.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Man. I haven't fucked with anything Mass Effect related since I finished playing it on that fateful day. Fuck that bullshit ME3 ending. I didn't care to know about what their DLC or comments on it were. I just completely removed it from my mind.

Man. I haven't fucked with anything Mass Effect related since I finished playing it on that fateful day. Fuck that bullshit ME3 ending. I didn't care to know about what their DLC or comments on it were. I just completely removed it from my mind.
I used to play ME3 MP after finishing the campaign (before the Extended Cut came out), but my 360 RROD'd trying to download that patch to fix the FemShep save import problem and I never bothered to fix it or deal with Origin BS after I moved to PC.

Antialias

This is EA's internal showing event they have before their unveil cycle starts.

It's more of a Frostbite-only technical conference with internal reveals sprinkled in.

The next mass effect was actually shown last year. I'm surprised the details haven't leaked so far, to be honest.

Anyone have any guesses as to what Casey Hudson's team's new game is going to be? They already have Sci-Fi and Fantasy covered, and EA previously canceled a Spy game they were working on. It will also be the first BioWare IP made completely under EA, so we'll see how that turns out.

Zombie RPG

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Cerberus, Illusive Man, and the human Reaper were collectively the worst aspects in the story of Mass Effect 2 and 3. The Reapers and their agents would have been enough, and the increased focus on humans was ridiculous. Mass Effect 1 did a really good job of making humans seem like just one part of a much larger mosaic.

Also Mass Effect 2 and 3 did what Prince of Persia: Warrior Within did. The characters were grittier, said 'fuck' and 'shit' a lot more, and there was a lot more emphasis on sex appeal with the female characters. You can see that exemplified in areas like Omega and new races like the Vorcha which felt like something out of Gears of War.

Also Mass Effect 2 had a hugely unnecessary jumping of the shark at the start by killing Shepard and destroying the Normandy, all in the service of making Cerberus take center stage.

They were still good games, but IMO it was a disappointing direction for the series to take overall. (I'm speaking as a huge fan of the series. ME 1 is my personal favorite because of the clear focus and awesome tone of the story.)

mrpeabody

It's cute that people think Bioware's writing will somehow improve from DA2/ME3 levels. Just makes the inevitable letdown all the more dramatic.

Sorc3r3r

Only interested if it is going back to its rpg roots, really dont care if they insist to push the tps mechanics.
Almost dead franchise for my tastes.

- J - D -

It's cute that people think Bioware's writing will somehow improve from DA2/ME3 levels. Just makes the inevitable letdown all the more dramatic.

I think a lot of us have learned to compartmentalize Bioware writing. With the sheer amount of writing in those games, there's potential for good and terrible.

Shengar

Is the game will be about destruction of galaxy again? I swear ME trilogy will be better if Shepard chase Aria instead of end of the world bullshit. Sorry, just tired seeing RPG with end-of-the-world premises.

Top Bottom