• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare teasing next Mass Effect [Up4: Fourth Pic (1 LQ offscreen, 3 concept art)]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Walters is unapologetically obsessed with Cerberus, which is particularly worrying if he actually is the lead writer.

Anyway, cross posting:

0 months, Oct 2005 - Mass Effect announced.
+25 months, Nov 2007 - Mass Effect released.
+16 months, Mar 2009 - Mass Effect 2 announced.
+10 months, Jan 2010 - Mass Effect 2 released.
+11 months, Dec 2010 - Mass Effect 3 announced.
+15 months, Mar 2012 - Mass Effect 3 released.
+21 months, Dec 2013 - Mass Effect 4 announced.
+15 months, Mar 2015 - Mass Effect 4 released.

Believable.

Whompa

So far things seem great. Hopefully the game is vast and with predominately the same team that worked on the trilogy.

Moxx19

Banned
Walters is unapologetically obsessed with Cerberus, which is particularly worrying if he actually is the lead writer.

Anyway, cross posting:

Believable.

Cerberus? Going by the end of 2 and 3 he seemed to be more obsessed with Humans than Cerberus. What with all the "Humans are diverse special snowflakes in a galaxy full of thousands of species yadda yadda yadda"

Dany

Banned
Humans should be taken down a peg or two. That is what I want to see. Playing as a turian csec officer who unravels the conspiracy that humans have keep secret. It's code name "Shepard"

dun dun DUUUUM

PFD

*shrug*

I've had Mass Effect 3 on my Origin account since the 2012 christmas sale. Still haven't installed and played it. Even with day one purchases of Mass Effect 1 and 2, playing them to completion several times, I just can't even be arsed to deal with ME3 for some reason. I'm not sure if it was the negativity over the endings (which they "bettered"), or from my best friend saying that my ME1/ME2 choices didn't even mattered in the end.

You let the internet decide for you. That's too bad, you're missing out on a great game.

AJ_Wings

If they're continuing the canon, I can't see how they're bringing them back. Weren't they completely wiped out by the end of ME3
along with TIM
?

Cerberus isn't a bad story driver, really, they just need to pull back from some of the "one of the greatest forces in the Galaxy!!" bullshit they laid on for them in 3. ME1/2 era Cerbersus is fine, I think, and it'd be fine seeing them again. If there's a place they fit, use 'em... Just make it cells of Cerberus, no Illusive Man, etc.

Cerberus isn't a bad story driver, really, they just need to pull back from some of the "one of the greatest forces in the Galaxy!!" bullshit they laid on for them in 3. ME1/2 era Cerbersus is fine, I think, and it'd be fine seeing them again. If there's a place they fit, use 'em... Just make it cells of Cerberus, no Illusive Man, etc.
Agreed, I actually enjoyed their role in ME1, even in ME2 somewhat, but they took them too far in the last one. The elusive, sinister nature and behind the scenes rogue element of the Alliance made me want to actually learn more about them in ME1. I love their sidequests in the game.

Lakitu

st5fu
I wouldn't mind them havnig a role similar to the first game where they just appeared in side missions and as cells that were experimenting on stuff.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Agreed, I actually enjoyed their role in ME1, even in ME2 somewhat, but they took them too far in the last one. The elusive, sinister nature and behind the scenes rogue element of the Alliance made me want to actually learn more about them in ME1. I love their sidequests in the game.

Cerberus and The Illusive Man was a great concept in both ME1 and ME2, as well as the ME novels written by Drew Karpyshyn. As soon as Walters took over they turned to complete shit, next thing you know Cerberus is a fucking army complete with a fleet of ships and The Illusive Man has turned into a cardboard cut out Bond villain.

It really pisses me off how much he destroyed Cerberus and the character of The Illusive Man amongst many other things. I knew I was justified in being worried about ME3 when I read that horrid ME: Evolution comic written by Walters that detailed (or shall I say destroyed) TIM's back story.

Hmmm

0OUCkBI.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is it because he's Cerberus?

"I could write stories about the Illusive Man forever," Walters told Polygon in an interview. "I love his character and his moral ambiguity. You kind of want to root for him, and yet, you kind of want him dead. That's a character I could always write for.

"Aria's another one. She's fascinating — she's tough and ruthless, and you want to route for her despite all the bad things," he added. "We could do like an Aria-Breaking Bad mashup, or something like that."

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I want the starting story to be about being a thug for a space drug kingpin. Kind of like the Dwarf Commoner origin in DAO.

Do we know if next ME will allow you to play as any race? That's what I would like, would love to play as a Turian, Krogan or Asari.

I wonder what the canon lore is for what happens at end of ME3.

This might sound superficial at first, but one way to closely predict what character they'll go with is to visualize the romances they'll implement in the game with the main character and go from there.

Do you think Aria would be in the right position and personality to have romantic relationships with her squadmates in the game? Hell would she have squadmates? Nah. That's another thing, every Bioware game gives you squadmates, you're never alone. So we can deduce from there as well.

A choose your own species creator is possible, but I don't think likely. Species that they'll definitely leave out are things like the Krogan or Volus, or even Quarians. They've never implemented a romance with a Krogan character before, and to be honest I don't even want to picture it lol. Volus? Nuff said lol. As for Quarians, their faces are always covered. Bioware spends a lot of time emphasizing the detail and emotion they put into their characters, and I'm not sure they'd have that as an option for the player.

That leaves 3 species: Turian, Asari, and obviously human. Playing as a Turian or Asari could theoretically work in the romance department, and humans are a given...so it's really 50/50 at this point, though I personally feel like they're going to stick with a human only choice this time around. I'd be perfectly fine either way.

Squire

Banned

Anyway, cross posting:

Believable.

Absolutely. I didn't even realize it's been that long since ME3 released, but it totally has. Wow.

Serra

My feelings about the next ME are really mixed. I really like the universe as setup in 1/2. Loved ME1, really liked 2, disliked 3.

Combat mechanics in 3 were the best in the series, although I think level/encounter design was really bad compared to 2. (marauder shields...). Writing was atrocious and im talking about more than the ending.

Considering Bioware's latest output, DA2, SWTOR and ME3 I have zero confidence in Bioware right now. Coupled with the stuff pointed out in this thread about the writers this leaves me basically expecting it to be shit.

Also, fuck Cerberus.

masterkajo

My feelings about the next ME are really mixed. I really like the universe as setup in 1/2. Loved ME1, really liked 2, disliked 3.

Combat mechanics in 3 were the best in the series, although I think level/encounter design was really bad compared to 2. (marauder shields...). Writing was atrocious and im talking about more than the ending.

Considering Bioware's latest output, DA2, SWTOR and ME3 I have zero confidence in Bioware right now. Coupled with the stuff pointed out in this thread about the writers this leaves me basically expecting it to be shit.

Also, fuck Cerberus.
100% on the same page.

Draikin 2

ME4 still has the same lead writer as ME3 did right? If so, I can't say I have any hopes they can write themselves out of the complete mess they made of the story in ME3.

My only big hope for the next game its set so far after the events of ME3 that the universe has basically reset it self and they dont need to worry about what happened in those games.

Just have some galaxy wide war or dark age or something that fucked everything up in the time between ME3 and the new game and start from there.

Doing a prequel would just create to many restrictions for things they could do and be a cop out.

I dont want to hear more about Cerbrus, C sec, The genophage etc... Just toss all that out.

Also they should ditch Paragon / Renegade for something less black and white. Let the play feel conferable playing someone more morally in the middle and not chose between space Jesus or space Hitler.

Serra

Also they should ditch Paragon / Renegade for something less black and white. Let the play feel conferable playing someone more morally in the middle and not chose between space Jesus or space Hitler.

Bioware's writers are not capable of this. Every single game they have made has either 1) choices that don't matter 2) black and white, good and bad.

Here's what I want to see:
-A plot that doesn't revolve around an ancient evil awakening* or spans multiple games.
-Bioware planning out stuff ahead of time instead of making it up on the fly.
-Good characters.
-An ME3 style morality system that allows for better nuance than Paragon and Renegade.
-If it's an action RPG like the last trilogy, ME3's combat and RPG mechanics are the bare minimum they should meet.
-Controller support for PC, because it's insane that a non-Japanese developed PC port doesn't have that.
*I'm actually fine with the Leviathians coming back, because they have a motivation that makes sense and don't seem like they would require a deus ex machina to beat.

What I don't want to see:
-Drew Karpyshn. I got no beef with the guy, but I think he's a bit overrated by a lot of Bioware/Mass Effect fans. His ME novels weren't all that great, plus he was the guy who came up with the Dark Energy ending that was dumber than the ends that Mac Walters and Cassey Hudson gave us (Reapers: "We're going to prevent the heat death of the universe by providing races with technology that accelerates the heat death of the universe.").
-The Mako, if implemented like it was in ME1. The physics made it such a godawful experience on the 360.
-Anything referring to the end of ME3, because it'll just stir up that beaten to death debate all over again.
-Casey Hudson and Mac Walters doing stuff without talking to the rest of the writers.

Omega

Banned
I'll take Cerberus over Space Kid any day of the week.

Also, I don't know if it would work but I think the story should be set a couple hundred years in the future. Reapers only target spacefaring races so a race like the Yagh would have presumably been left alone. Since it's going to have to appeal to the masses, it needs an antagonist so make it them and how they're trying to take over the galaxy while the other races are still rebuilding.

something like that at least. just please no ancient evils or space kids

Vamphuntr

All of Bioware recent games revolve around gathering allies to fight a big enemy so I would be surprised if this wasn't the case again. I also doubt they are going to plan ahead in advance the plot. They failed to do so with the previous DA and ME so I don't think it is reasonable to expect them to do the correct thing this time. The big gamble with sequels is that it's harder to reach a new audience unless the story is easy to pick up for new players and it kind of goes against the planning ahead of an epic story spamming multiple games.

My only wish is that Walters isn't involved in the main plot and that we actually get to explore areas this time(ie no more corridors with waist-high walls and crates). I would love if the premise of the game was to explore uncharted worlds.

Mindlog

Is it because he's Cerberus?
I agree with him completely on both characters and Cerberus. However, the end product doesn't come close to meeting its potential. What could be a little more subtle and sophisticated ends up becoming a bad cartoon. The Genophage plot did a solid job straddling the line. The Geth plot failed to succeed on the same level. The Cerberus plot just failed.
To this day, ME1 still remains my favourite in terms of soundtrack. In recent times, I can only think of TLoU that does what ME1 did. ME2 and 3 shifted more toward traditional orchestral arrangements and I feel it has lost somewhat of its identity imbued by the unique collection of soundtrack from the franchise starter.
Big time. There are only a handful of memorable tracks in the later games compared to the original. On some level it reminds me of Star Wars with larger budgets leading to 'grander' projects that lose something in the process.

Missing track I really enjoyed: Therum Battle
A direct nod to those sci-fi classics like Bladerunner and Dune.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There you go, confirmation that Mac Walters will star as the protagonist in Mass Effect 4 and it will come with a special pre-order bonus of 2 different coloured berets.
His costume will be that of synthetic cyborg android Kai Leng.

Mass Defect: This Time It's Crunch Time

Top Bottom