• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Knuckles' new designs leaked

WOW, I'm kinda late to the party but anyway... These new designs make the post-Saturn era designs suddenly look likeable. Heck, why even bother I'm just no longer their targeted demographic so I should just let it go and say thanks for the good memories, Sega.

I drew this a few years ago:
Rtg8l8u.png

With today's revelations I think an update was due:
Mqd68cK.png

Sponge

Banned
Woah little early on the anger there.

TV Show. Toy Line. Letting a western dev make it.

This is them trying to fix Sonics image. It's just too bad it's only on the Wii U.

Eh, I just get a bit annoyed when people to the conclusion that Sega has lost it. I could see kids eating this whole line up. I just can't see it replacing the Sonic we have now. Especially since interviews clearly call this whole line an attempt to appeal to the west and the west alone.

Skyzard

Banned
It kinda makes sense that knuckles looks like that. I mean for someone who has never seen knuckles before. He's also called knuckles.

The scarf though. Almost as bad as when I saw mario in the cat suit and go meow. Not quite of course. But still...nice one guys.

Oh, I get why they did what they did to Knuckles.

Everyone complains about Sonic's shitty friends. They have to stick to the core and can't use rejects like Big the Cat.

At the same time though, the characters have always been about the same size, they didn't have that team dynamic with the heavy brawny guy.

I mean, every team has to have the brawny guy.

So they stuck to the non-shitty friends and redid one of them as the muscle.

RagnarokX

Oh, I get why they did what they did to Knuckles.

Everyone complains about Sonic's shitty friends. They have to stick to the core and can't use rejects like Big the Cat.

At the same time though, the characters have always been about the same size, they didn't have that team dynamic with the heavy brawny guy.

I mean, every team has to have the brawny guy.

So they stuck to the non-shitty friends and redid one of them as the muscle.

But knuckles has always been the brawny guy...

Rell

Knuckles design blows, but I'm actually digging the scarf and tape Sonic.

When I saw the Sonic Boom preview, I was kind of hoping it was just, like, a costume relevant to the desert setting or something.

Why we gotta overload Sonic with bullshit? I remember by the end of SA2, he looked like fucking garbage with all the bracelets and lights on his shoes and whatever.

The whole crew needs more than one costume. It keeps the adult fans happy with more character artwork, it allows more toys to be made, and just in general makes the character important rather than the attire. It's a trick used in anime all the time.

Also Sonic clearly has a scarf to change the shape of his chest-circle.

Now it's more dynamic, it mirrors the look of his spines, spiky on top. Also flows right along with the shape of his eyes.

Of course it's redundant-looking next to Knuckles' chest stripe, though.

DJMicLuv

Isn't the point of Knuckles 'strength' the fact that he's got big fuck-off knuckles rather than big fuck-off muscles. They'd have called him Muscles originally if he was meant to be strong.

Skyzard

Banned
Have you ever seen someone go running with a scarf? No, because it would suck. So at the speed Sonic (and apparently, everyone else) is going, the douche poser factor is pretty maximal from that single item.

Pot belly for life.

I, for one, welcome the changes though they are a little jarring.

Knuckles being bigger seems fitting since he is a more physical character and speed isn't his, uhm, strength but its a bit extreme.

And the trailer made the game look a little interesting. I will reserve judgment until I get a chance to play it. Pity that I didn't see anything regarding PS4 or Vita.

Still for the fan reaction I imagine it is possible that we may see a change to the models much like inFamous which might evolve them for the better still.

At least it isn't a DmC fiasco.

Mit-

Knuckles wouldn't look so bad if his head wasn't the same size as everyone else's.

It's as if they popped his head off his old model and set it right on top of a huge bulky body.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Eh, I just get a bit annoyed when people to the conclusion that Sega has lost it. I could see kids eating this whole line up. I just can't see it replacing the Sonic we have now. Especially since interviews clearly call this whole line an attempt to appeal to the west and the west alone.

Because the "Sonic we have now" is so sacred. Doesn't that game radically change every single iteration anyway?

What are you even saying? You're acting like this is just some silly little side project they just threw some newbies a bone to see what they could do. They got a company of Naughty Dog alumni and someone to make them a TV show based on this. Probably cost them nothing right?

If they're trying to make this a consistent franchise they can make a few sequels to I'm all for it. This is the reboot/rebrand Sonic 06 should've been.

Mit-

Because the "Sonic we have now" is so sacred. Doesn't that game radically change every single iteration anyway?

What are you even saying? You're acting like this is just some silly little side project they just threw some newbies a bone to see what they could do. They got a company of Naughty Dog alumni and someone to make them a TV show based on this. Probably cost them nothing right?

If they're trying to make this a consistent franchise they can make a few sequels to I'm all for it. This is the reboot/rebrand Sonic 06 should've been.

Sonic games as of late have developed some pretty great consistent playstyles, with little new things thrown in for each game. They haven't been bad at all since Sonic 06, honestly. Although the developers don't seem half bad for Sonic Boom and it looks like it will have some of those speed running elements in the new one (along with a lot of new playstyles. Fingers crossed on those...)

Also this isn't a reboot. Sonic Team in Japan is still making games. If anything this is going to make the franchise even more segregated and confusing.

I wonder if Western Sonic will ever meet Eastern Sonic.

pushBAK

I don't hate the redesign. But I do hate the game they announced with it. I was hoping for a more inventive Sonic game then the run of the mill games we've been getting after Sonic Adventure 2.

Rlan

Nick_teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_by_supahboy-d5gdbp5.jpg

Dat tape.

Also there are a couple of discrepencies between the game and the CG at the moment. Knuckles' shoes look different here:

sonic-boom-video-gamet0djb.jpg

versus this:

sonic.jpg%3Fw%3D558%26h%3D9999%26crop%3D0

Also I think Knuckles has broken his leg there.

Amy also seems to have Stockings? Kind of reminds me of April too:

April-o-neil_fists.png

batfax

Ugh. And I'm reminded again of how horrible the current designs of the Ninja Turtles are.
Simply disgusting.

Yep. Gotta admit, those Turtles designs were awful when I first saw them. Especially April. I ended up really liking the series anyway though, and they've kinda grown on me after watching for a while. It's pretty much the only reason I'm particularly open to the new ridiculous Sonic designs... though I think blue arms will bother me forever. Why doesn't Amy didn't get the same treatment? It just causes them to look weird standing next to each other.

I think the tape is ridiculous, but I've come to terms with Sonic. Not too much different (but the spines still bother me).

That being said, the Knuckles redesign to me is awful. I'm okay with him being a little more built than Sonic, but this is just excessive. It hurts a little more that Knuckles was always my favorite.

Top Bottom