• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Knuckles' new designs leaked

Shamelessly ripped from the Sega forums but made me lol.

Bf0SKq2CYAA3-q6.jpg

How Mario Boom might look.

It was posted earlier in thread, but yeah, it's awesome. It's probably the only picture I've ever seen that makes Toad look cool.

The problem with the original designs, IMO, is that all the characters look the same, to the point where they're all essentially the exact same character with different skins. This new design...doesn't change that at all. They still all look the same, just now they stretched the bodies in different ways, which actually makes it worse.

This is not all that far off from the imagery and style of Super Mario Strikers.

The drawing style has a bit more aggressive lines but the characters in Mario Strikers kind of maintain their proportions, they're not being reinvented in that matter.

Still, they're indeed made to be "cooler" and some look pretty fucking badass, tbh.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I actually don't mind the designs... all except for Knuckles. When building a comically top-heavy character, don't make it just a big red blob of a body with AWFUL stocky arms and still the same face. Amy and Tails look great though. probably the best design for them both in ages. And from the footage shown (both game and cartoon), at least nobody looks like a horrendous motion captured Styrofoam puppet like they did in Sonic 06.

All-in-all I don't HATE them, but it does feel unnecessary. If you're going to redesign them then go all-out - I feel that much more could have been done with them rather than just add a bunch of accessories here and there. Having the same voice actors and animation styles as in the last couple of games takes the edge off of the redesigns, too.

Fyrion

So, now Sega try to renew Sonic with a pretentiously-dashing adventurer's guy style, fine by me. The only thing that really bothers me is the large forehead.

DonMigs85

It looks like it's really gonna be a separate, self-contained Sonic spinoff line. Kinda like Sonic X, although that show never got a game did it?

Sponge

Banned
Everyone's so quick to misjudge this, I see. I'll be over here realizing this is basically a spinoff and won't be affecting the canon games or designs at all. Hope Sega makes decent money off this so they can put toward something from Sonic Team.

Everyone's so quick to misjudge this, I see. I'll be over here realizing this is basically a spinoff and won't be affecting the canon games or designs at all. Hope Sega makes decent money off this so they can put toward something from Sonic Team.

I wonder if people will say this for every bad idea.

x-raze

Tails' redesign looks awesome! Absolutely adorable and everything I wanted him to look. Amy's is cool too. Sonic...could've been better. I think the accessories are a bit much, no need for wraps and a scarf lol. What the hell happened Knuckles? Not like this, redesign please!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I can't wait until this property is a hit and it shifts into the main stream, and all the people on your side begin the anger.

They are going deep with the TV show/toy line thing. The aim with this is to reboot Sonic with this series for sure.

I don't even know if I want Sonic back to Sonic Team, lol. I hope this game manages to be good really, even though I don't really like the character designs, Sonic could definitely use new blood (good new blood I mean).

KNUCKLES WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU

Eh, Knuckles looks cool still. Sonic is creeping me out a bit dimensions-wise. Tails looks great now and the voice fits perfectly (though that never seemed to be an issue before either). And once again I forgot Amy was part of the team...

But everyone's ignoring the big issue here..... WHAT DOES Big LOOK LIKE NOW?!

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Gaiz relax! Sega jst left my howse and left me da offishal artz! OMGZ@!

[QUOTE="D";99907658]Gaiz relax! Sega jst left my howse and left me da offishal artz! OMGZ@!

[/QUOTE]

Thread has been won. Everyone can go home

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
they had to remodel the faces as well, now they look like some berks wearing Sonic and Knuckles' masks

Laughing so hard right now
Same here. I mean, Tails actually looks awesome, Amy looks okay, Sonic's kinda "hmm" but Knuckles is straight up wow.

I guess steroid abuse is real in the furry community after all.

Nice. Can someone do one of these like those annoying "Doctors HATE him" spoofs? That'd be glorious.

The problem with the original designs, IMO, is that all the characters look the same, to the point where they're all essentially the exact same character with different skins. This new design...doesn't change that at all. They still all look the same, just now they stretched the bodies in different ways, which actually makes it worse.

I can't picture ANY of them with Knuckle's new body...or Knuckles, for that matter. Lol.

Sponge

Banned
I can't wait until this property is a hit and it shifts into the main stream, and all the people on your side begin the anger.

Just like Secret Rings and Black Knight were hits right? It's a spinoff. It's like saying the next Mario platformer will take elements from one of the RPGs.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Just like Secret Rings and Black Knight were hits right? It's a spinoff. It's like saying the next Mario platformer will take elements from one of the RPGs.

Woah little early on the anger there.

TV Show. Toy Line. Letting a western dev make it.

This is them trying to fix Sonics image. It's just too bad it's only on the Wii U.

Not gonna lie, I like these designs, especially Tails. I never play Sonic games, yeah, but I like this.
Opinions.

I like sitting here and reading the reactions, too :)

Bandages around the arms and legs like the 2012 Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles cartoon.Sonic's got a scarf like Nathan Drake, and Knuckles has been roiding himself up. You have to give Sega credit, they really knows how to mess with the heads of their Sonic fanbase.

Top Bottom